Who’s got the best-looking car in 2012?

2012 F1 season preview

Caterham, Barcelona, 2012

F1 teams have different solutions to the nose problem

The F1 cars of 2012 will probably not be remembered as the most attractive the sport has ever produced.

New rules have led most of the teams to add an unsightly step in the nose of their cars. Added to the oddly-proportioned front and rear wings in use since 2009, it makes from some strange-looking machines.

But as ever some cars look better than others and some teams have done better jobs of presenting their racers.

Which do you think is the best-looking car of 2012? Compare them all below and cast your vote.

Red Bull RB8

Narain Karthikeyan, HRT F112, Barcelona, 2012

Narain Karthikeyan, HRT F112, Barcelona, 2012

Marussia MR01

Timo Glock, Marussia, Silvestone, 2012

Timo Glock, Marussia, Silvestone, 2012

Vote for the best-looking car of 2012

What's the best-looking car on the grid in 2012?

• Red Bull RB8 (5%)
  • Caterham CT01 (2%)
  • HRT F112 (7%)
  • Marussia MR01 (4%)

Total Voters: 696

Loading ... Loading ...

Debates and polls

Browse all debates and polls

Images ?? Jamey Price/F1 Fanatic, McLaren/Hoch Zwei, Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Mercedes/Hoch Zwei, Lotus F1 Team/LAT, Force India/Sutton, Sauber F1 Team, Red Bull/Getty images, Williams/LAT, Caterham/LAT, HRT F1 Team, Marussia

132 comments on Who’s got the best-looking car in 2012?

1. Kanil (@kanil) said on 9th March 2012, 15:15

Gotta go with Caterham, being one of two cars this year that isn’t Blue/Red/Black/White, like every other F1 car ever made…

Plus it looks really pretty from a top-down shot.

But, every car from 2009 onward has looked ugly as hell, so whatever.

• Ilanin (@ilanin) said on 9th March 2012, 17:47

It’s green because green’s the colour British cars are supposed to race in. Practically, therefore, it’s green and gold because Team Lotus’s colours were green and gold pre-sponsorship, and that’s what Caterham are calling back to.

British Racing Green fell out of use in the 1970s with the advent of sponsorship, as the British teams started using the corporate colours of their sponsors. I’m glad Caterham brought it back. There’s a slight irony in that as far as I know Caterham’s registration is still Malaysian, but I don’t think anybody really thinks of them as such.

2. The HRT is a beauty and the best looking of the twelve. Mclaren comes a close second.

Lotus, being my favourite team, have an ok ish looking car. It’s the best looking out of all the rest anyway.

3. Oy, this is a toughie.
    Full disclosure, Ferrari Fan.
    That being said, the Caterham is so classic, I love the livery.
    As for bodywork, the ability to execute a smooth nose on the Mclaren and is impressive considering the rest of the field has simply modified a short term solution. I understand the issue, but it seems to me if executed correctly puts them an entire year ahead in development while, if the rest of the car executes as well, could be a huge stunner and sit them in the catbird seat.
    The HRT love is BAFFLING! I think the lines are good graphically (livery discussion here) but, the colorway bothers me to a huge degree, I am trying to locate what the appeal is for this.
    The Redbull and Williams mid body profiles seem to be the biggest winners/most efficient, but seeing them all in person would likely alter my opinion there.
    Looking forward to Australia!

4. taurus (@taurus) said on 9th March 2012, 17:07

I like the Marussia best, followed by the McLaren.

Everything with the stepped nose looks rank.

5. James (@jamesf1) said on 9th March 2012, 17:08

I’d say that the Mclaren and Virgin cars look more pretty than the rest. The lack of stepped nose makes them look more elegant.

With the exception of those two, I’m liking the Lotus. From the moment I saw it I was impressed. Perhaps the black covers the step in their nose. After that, I’d say that the HRT looks alright. Colour scheme helps a little, which is pretty much the only thing it has got going for it this season! Then Mercedes would round off my top 5.

The rest need an appointment with a plastic surgeon! The definitely need a nose job!

6. west (@west) said on 9th March 2012, 17:08

Mclaren yes yes yes

7. Seaney_T (@seaney_t) said on 9th March 2012, 17:17

A month ago, I would have gone for the Mclaren without a doubt, but the Lotus, Mercedes and Force India have really grown on me. I just think they are more interesting to look at, without being ugly. I went for the Force India in the end.

The boxy stepped noses on the Williams, Sauber and Ferrari still look horrific to me unfortunately.

8. thef1fanatic (@thef1fanatic) said on 9th March 2012, 17:25

fastest car is the most beautiful car. not considering speed, it has to be McLaren or HRT. Any of the platypus nose cars can’t be it! Can’t imagine a miss world or miss universe with broken nose!!

9. Cucamest (@kevincucamest) said on 9th March 2012, 17:31

Although I’m a big Ferrari fan I voted for McLaren because they definitely have the best-looking car this year.

10. Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 9th March 2012, 17:32

Y’know, seeing them all together and being able to compare, the HRT and Marussia look pretty good!

11. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 9th March 2012, 17:46

1. McLaren 2. HRT 3. Lotus

Offtopic: http://www.rallyemotion.it/robert-kubica-torna-al-volante-test-sulla-fabia-wrc/

Guess who’s definitely and officially behind the wheel. Mr. Kubica tested his Fabia WRC near Genoa. I guess that’s a bit in contrast to recent Alguersuari’s statement that “Robert is unable to grab a glass of water with his hand”. In your face Jaime!

12. montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 9th March 2012, 18:26

IMO Mclaren is by far the prettiest, most exquisite design without the hideous nose of the other cars too. I thought it would sweep this and so it has.

I also like the HRT and the Toro Rosso very much.

Don’t know why many people like the FI. Yes the livery is not bad but the car is quite ugly.

However the 3 ugliest cars are(in no order): Ferrari, Sauber and Caterham

13. Cryptowillem (@cryptowillem) said on 9th March 2012, 18:34

I looked for livery more than anything else, and I have to say, I love the Caterham livery. Really, anything in Racing Green like that gets my vote!

14. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 9th March 2012, 18:55

The Force India VJM05! The Mclaren is handsome, but a little bulky in places. The HRT would look nicer if the red bits were black or dark gray.

15. SatchelCharge (@satchelcharge) said on 9th March 2012, 19:01

Wow I can’t believe I’m so alone in liking the Sauber. It looks ******, as an F1 car should. That’s not to say that I like the stepped noses, but all things considered. The Sauber. Something about the MP4-27 puts it in 2nd place for me, can’t put my finger on what bothers me.