Spain will play host to one round of the world championship instead of two from next year, Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed.
The Circuit de Catalunya and Valencia street circuit will alternate as hosts of the Spanish Grand Prix.
A race has been held at the Barcelona circuit every year since 1991. Valencia first appeared on the F1 calendar in 2008 as the home of the European Grand Prix.
Ecclestone told Spanish radio station Cadena Ser the organisers of both races had agreed to share the Grand Prix from 2013.
The races at both the circuit is this year will continue as planned.
Ecclestone also indicated he hopes to extend the contract for the race in Valencia beyond 2014.
2013 F1 calendar
- Bottas claims first Driver of the Weekend vote win
- Second race at COTA gets much lower rating
- Top ten pictures from the 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix
- 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix fans’ video gallery
- 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix team radio transcript
Browse all 2013 F1 calendar articles
Image ?é?® Daimler/Hoch Zwei