Valencia and Barcelona to share Spanish Grand Prix from 2013

2013 F1 calendar

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, Valencia, 2011

F1 will see less of Valencia from 2013

Spain will play host to one round of the world championship instead of two from next year, Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed.

The Circuit de Catalunya and Valencia street circuit will alternate as hosts of the Spanish Grand Prix.

A race has been held at the Barcelona circuit every year since 1991. Valencia first appeared on the F1 calendar in 2008 as the home of the European Grand Prix.

Ecclestone told Spanish radio station Cadena Ser the organisers of both races had agreed to share the Grand Prix from 2013.

The races at both the circuit is this year will continue as planned.

Ecclestone also indicated he hopes to extend the contract for the race in Valencia beyond 2014.

2013 F1 calendar

Browse all 2013 F1 calendar articles

Image ?? Daimler/Hoch Zwei

91 comments on Valencia and Barcelona to share Spanish Grand Prix from 2013

1. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 9th March 2012, 13:05

Let’s drop all the Tilkedromes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (I’m just dreaming aloud)
    Lets face the truth and few new tracks can be dropped, I now we are in a global economy but the old European circuits (and Susuka) are the best. That reminds me… how could the Hungaroring be improved to be a match for its other European sisters?

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 9th March 2012, 13:37

@omar-pepper I never really understand that argument. Yes, the sport needs history, that’s undeniable. But for such a forward looking, technology driven sport, surely it shouldn’t be too much of a surprise that teams are looking to exploit new markets and companies want to develop new circuits?

No business ever made any money standing still. Europe cannot sustain a world championship. It would be a total farce and an embarrassment to the sport and all its associates.

2. Girts (@girts) said on 9th March 2012, 13:07

It looks like two circuits sharing one Grand Prix might become common in F1. I wonder if that’s a good thing? Drivers & teams probably don’t care. As long as one of both circuits is not a failure, fans shouldn’t object as more diversity makes the whole circus more entertaining. But what about the circuits themselves? If a lot of other popular events take place at the circuit, then I guess its owners might prefer alternating as they rarely make profit from staging F1 races and one race per two years lets them reduce their loss, while still keeping the place popular.

• Glaw (@glaw) said on 9th March 2012, 13:33

I was wondering this myself. Certainly would shake things up every year by going to different tracks each season. I do think that certain marquee races would stay though, Monaco for example.

3. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 9th March 2012, 13:34

Good news I guess, opens up the calendar to other countries, which is pretty important for a world championship!

I prefer Valencia personally. That third sector is so damn fast!

Ultimately if this helps to secure the future of a Spanish GP then I’m all for it.

4. McLarenFanJamm (@mclarenfanjamm) said on 9th March 2012, 17:08

I’m pleased that, of the poorer races, we’re going to be losing one each season but, I’m also pleased that the Spanish grand prix is going to remain on the calendar. Given the fever they have over there at the moment with Alonso, it would have been a pretty big disaster to have lost the fixture from the calendar completely.

Since France and Belgium are looking to alternate from next year, I’d suggest that the “European Grand Prix” title is passed to them, seeing as they’re in two different countries. In my mind, if it made business sense, the EuropeanGrand Prix would have alternated amongst a few different circuits in different countries. But, realistically, no circuit would sign up for one race every 5 years or so.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 9th March 2012, 22:42

It’s a nice idea, but I don’t think it will stick. The French – in what I can only assume was an entirely unreasonable fit of being French – want a French Grand Prix. Not a European Grand Prix; they want France to have a presence on the calendar as France.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 10th March 2012, 3:43

Ironic isn’t it, a “Grand Prix” not a “Big Prize” in almost every country but the one that first created one.

• John Edwards said on 10th March 2012, 10:09

France failed to develop their venues.

Magny cours was a trillion miles from anywhere and a rubbish venue where the whole lap was single file so no racing, with the exception of 99&2000 I cannot remember any races there that were any good, although its a better strike rate than Barcelona which has not had a good race in 21years!!!

France should have a race, but the fact they don’t is there own fault.

5. Fixy (@fixy) said on 9th March 2012, 17:35

I was going to say this was the best news an F1 fanatic could possibly read, but then I remembered – they’re still on the calendar. :P

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 9th March 2012, 22:46

Maybe not – Barcelona and Valencia are set to alternate from 2013. But there’s no word on who will actually go first. 2013 could very well see the Spanish Grand Prix at Barcelona, not Valencia.

6. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 9th March 2012, 18:11

I do see this as the way for F1 tracks to go.. Japan alternated tracks, Germany are alternating tracks, now Spain are, rumours of France and Belgium alternating…

Surely this is the best way of curing the problem of all these new tracks coming in? USA have 2 tracks coming in soon, they can easily alternate between them, surely? By having a ‘track rotation’ scheme, it means Bernie can bring in the tracks he wants to, whilst keeping firmly established tracks with them holding races once every other year/more periodically as time goes on..

7. il Leone said on 9th March 2012, 19:03

Why not have Barcelona, Aragon, Valencia, Jerez and the Valencia Street Circuit alternating Spanish GPs?

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 9th March 2012, 22:28

Because Aragon doesn’t want the race (Bernie asked them to fill in for Korea if Korea wasn’t ready in 2010), Jerez isn’t allowed to have a race (after the local mayor interrupted the podium ceremony in 1997), and Ricardo Tormo is just boring (it’s popular with teams for testing, but only because it is fairly neutral in terms of setup).

8. The Limit said on 9th March 2012, 19:45

I am not surprised. With Spain’s unemployment levels at 25% it doesn’t exactly take an Einstein to figure out why these two grands prix are losing money. Anybody who saw the Barcelona event last year could not fail to miss all those empty seats in the grandstands, especially on turn one!
    On a personal level I, like many others on this site, have never warmed to the Valencia race. I am sure Valencia is a fine city, but the grands prix there reminds me of what a racetrack around Tilbury Docks would look like on a summers day. One cannot help but wonder if this is the best F1 can come up with when you compare Valencia to other street circuits like Monaco and Singapore. Even the first race in 2008 was panned as a snoozefest by the fans so, like I said, I am not surprised!

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th March 2012, 22:59

Seriously, 25%? That’s dreadful. I must admit I was surprised by just how under-populated the stands looked in Barcelona last year. That explains a lot.

9. UKFan (@) said on 10th March 2012, 0:51

YESSSSS 50% less boring.

10. Kevin Campos (@kcampos12) said on 10th March 2012, 2:35

Bring back Portugal!

11. Nick.UK (@) said on 10th March 2012, 2:39

Does this mean the French GP could be the ‘European’ GP at some point?

12. to me as a fan i hate the valencia circuit so this was a goood idea