F1 Fanatic joins F1 teams in launching a new design for 2012

F1 Fanatic updates

F1 Fanatic - 11/3/2012

F1 Fanatic - 11/3/2012

With one week to go until the first F1 race of the year, F1 Fanatic has revealed its new design for the 2012 season.

F1 Fanatic team principal Keith Collantine said: “The new design is an evolution of what we had last year but with several major changes underneath.

“F1 Fanatic has set ambitious targets for its eighth season and we hope to see improvements in performance and reliability this year.”

“Our test drivers, including Girts, Verstappen, Dan8, PieLighter, Roald, AndrewTanner, Mr. Powers, Mitz1111 and James Robertson, have been putting the new design through its paces.

“Reliability has been good so far but if anyone encounters any problem we encourage them to let us know.”

Clumsy F1 car launch metaphor ends here

Welcome to the latest version of F1 Fanatic which has been extensively updated for the season ahead.

The goals of the changes included: improving the site’s appearance and functionality across a range of different screen sizes; making navigation clearer and simpler; reducing page load times; fixing existing problems; and adding new features requested by users.

Among the changes you will notice are:

• A wider content area for large screen sizes which scales down for smaller screens and mobile devices
  • Larger default video formats
  • Larger images in articles and on image preview pages (on new articles)
  • Usernames (e.g. @keithcollantine) now appear next to comments for easier @-messaging
  • Revised and reorganised menus with an extra level added to the drop-down
  • New footer includes archive, popular articles, Predictions Championship standings and members list
  • Improved avatar handling
  • Various style fixes and improvements

This latest change should also provide a better platform for expansion and improvement in the future.

As ever please leave feedback below.

If you experience a technical problem please tell us about it via this link, which includes instructions on how to supply the right information so we can identify and fix any errors:

66 comments on F1 Fanatic joins F1 teams in launching a new design for 2012

1. Kevin Campos (@kcampos12) said on 11th March 2012, 22:37

Love it, Everything just seems more crisp.

2. soundscape (@soundscape) said on 11th March 2012, 22:55

Much prefer this front page layout Keith. I felt the last layout wasted a lot of worthy real estate on the right-hand-side.
    Also, the bigger font is appreciated.

3. sato113 (@sato113) said on 11th March 2012, 23:43

‘In a clear violation of the Resource Restriction Agreement, F1 Fanatic has been testing the new version in secret for several months.’
    LOL :D
    what;s this new @ feature though? I can’t seem to use it in writing this reply…

4. schooner (@schooner) said on 11th March 2012, 23:53

Looks great Keith! I’ve been here for a couple of years now, and this is absolutely the best site for knowledgeable F1 fans who want to interact!

5. Chalky (@chalky) said on 12th March 2012, 0:01

I have no comment either way at the moment. I’ll try the mobile site out later and test it on a smaller window when I’m sneaking F1 news at work on Monday.
    But, I’ve been reading this site for such a long time, you’d have to put the text as white on a white background to stop me coming here for my F1 updates. As long as you keep up with the great content, you’ll keep the readers.

6. Roger Camp (@rogercamp) said on 12th March 2012, 0:26

Great overall improvement! Thank you all involved in make my favorite website even better.

7. Lord Stig (@lord-stig) said on 12th March 2012, 0:54

Good evolutionary update. I was taken aback by the width initially, as most websites are still 800px wide, but I think it works.

8. UKFan (@) said on 12th March 2012, 0:59

Great work, the forwarding thing was a bit annoying, the rest was already great.

9. djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 12th March 2012, 0:59

I hope you’ve passed your crash tests :)

Like the new look, nice and clean.

10. Pandaslap (@pandaslap) said on 12th March 2012, 2:01

Thank you Keith, the “test drivers”, and everyone else involved with F1fanatic- the new setup looks fantastic.

The news, stats, history, and discussion found here make this the best F1 destination on the web. Keep up the great work!

11. Robert Green said on 12th March 2012, 2:22

Clean, uncluttered, nice.

12. Mick Rock said on 12th March 2012, 4:41

Very nice, but what’s with the stepped nose?….

13. Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 12th March 2012, 4:52

I’m getting a black band across the top where the pull downs for forums, quizzes, etc, on my desktop. Ipad version wraps forums onto a second line on the menu bar. It it just me?

14. BasCB (@bascb) said on 12th March 2012, 12:02

Ha, just noticed that nugget called “Visit” on top of the page to get directed to either a random member or a random forum @keithcollantine, a lovely idea to get some new impulses, get to know new people etc.

15. phildick (@phildick) said on 12th March 2012, 12:48

Looks great – nice and clean. The only suggestion from my side is that I got used to smaller fonts, but perhaps it’ll looks better on smartphones and tablets.