2012 F1 driver helmets in pictures

F1 pictures

The class of 2012 have revealed their helmet designs for the year ahead.

Here are pictures of the helmet designs being used by the F1 drivers of 2012:

Sebastian Vettel

If you like Sebastian Vettel’s latest helmet design it’s probably best not to get too attached to it. He changes them as often as he changes his socks.

Mark Webber

Like several of the other drivers, Mark Webber’s helmet design is little-changed from the one he used last year.

Jenson Button

Lewis Hamilton

Fernando Alonso

Felipe Massa

Michael Schumacher

Nico Rosberg

Rosberg has eased back on the grey in favour of a more striking yellow design for his 2012 crash helmet.

Kimi Raikkonen

A striking black-and-white design for F1 returnee Kimi Raikkonen.

Romain Grosjean

Another new face on the grid is Romain Grosjean, who sports a helmet design that complements Lotus’s black and gold.

Paul di Resta

Di Resta has removed the Italian flag tricolour from the helmet design he used at the start of last season.

Nico Hulkenberg

Kamui Kobayashi

Sergio Perez

Perez has swapped orange and green for yellow and white in his 2012 lid, with a prominent Mexican flag on the top.

Daniel Ricciardo

Jean-Eric Vergne

Pastor Maldonado

Maldonado has swapped the white portions of his 2011 helmet for sparkling silver.

Bruno Senna

The Satander logos are a late addition to Senna’s helmet, which of course is modelled on that of his uncle Ayrton Senna.

Heikki Kovalainen

Vitaly Petrov

Narain Karthikeyan

Pedro de la Rosa

Timo Glock

A more colourful design for Glock in 2012, trading black for blue in places.

Charles Pic

Reserve drivers

Here are the helmet designs being used by some of the reserve drivers this year:

The pictures above will take you into the main gallery, where you can see more angles of many of the helmets.

Here are last year’s helmet designs for comparison.

Which is your favourite of the 2012 drivers’ helmet designs? Have your say in the comments.

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Images ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Lotus F1 Team/LAT, Williams/LAT, McLaren/Hoch Zwei, Mercedes, Daimler/Hoch Zwei, Getty Images/Red Bull, Force India/Sutton, Sauber F1 Team, Caterham/LAT, Marussia, HRT

115 comments on 2012 F1 driver helmets in pictures

1. ed24f1 (@ed24f1) said on 12th March 2012, 13:24

It’s nice to see de la Rosa’s design stay the same, one of the few drivers these days who has maintained the same design for most of his career.

2. MW (@) said on 12th March 2012, 13:40

Brunos is best for me.. Although I can’t tell if that was a cool design before his uncle drove in it or not..
    Still, it’s got the most signifigance and character.

3. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 12th March 2012, 13:43

Hulkenberg’s is pretty dull.

Clos’ is quite nice, different. Shame we won’t see much of it.

I like Raikkonen’s, Button’s (nice use of his initials), Kovalainen’s and Petrov’s.

4. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 12th March 2012, 13:46

Raikkonen, Kovalainen and Alonso’s lids are all great looking. If it was me I’d remove the “9” from the side of Raikkonen’s, but that’s just me. I do like the simplcity of Hamilton and de la Rosa’s, I’d rather have those than some of the insanely busy designs that a few drivers have (Glock and Maldonado being particularly guilty of this).

The only thing we can be sure of for this coming season is that Vettel will not finish the season with the same design he started it with! :)

5. Jonathan said on 12th March 2012, 14:05

Some nice helmets there!

• Not to me. But I suppose that’s because I pay a lot of attention to the STR guys as a Ricciardo fan. All you see on Ricciardo’s is mostly blue and a bit of silver at the top. Vergne’s is mostly silver with a bit of orange.

• I really think there should be regulations to restrict major helmet design changes during the season…

Why?

6. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 12th March 2012, 14:13

It’ll be very difficult to differentiate Toro Rosso drivers. Their helmets are pretty much identical!

Kovalainen has again the coolest helmet. I’m also liking Perez’s and Hülkenberg’s newly designed helmets.

Sadly Kimi’s helmet is not that good. It would look better if he’d be driving for McLaren, but for Lotus the colors just don’t match at all.

7. Luigi Carneiro said on 12th March 2012, 14:30

Problem with most of them is that they are very generic. Most of the new drivers just have the hemet companies create the designs. One of the cool things about helmets is that it expresses the drivers identity. What is more emblematic than Mansell, Prost, Hill, Senna, Massa or Piquet designs. I bet the mere mention of their names make anyone have the image of their helmets in their mind. Now mention Liuzzi, Vettel, Kobayashi, Kimi, and etc and what comes to your mind? Just a bunch of mixed colors and lines and curves. Looks great but means nothing.

8. andae23 (@andae23) said on 12th March 2012, 14:41

I love Räikkönen’s and Clos’ the most: the white thing on Räikkönen’s helmet looks very cool (ice-ish I would say), but Clos’ red and white pattern is by far the prettiest (by the way, bonus points for putting a dragon on your helmet!).

9. Rahim.RG (@rahim-rg) said on 12th March 2012, 14:53

Raikkonen’s Helmet designs are the best…though i’d say this year’s is abit empty…but still i think its the best…

10. carbon_fibre said on 12th March 2012, 15:00

Wow! I like almost all of them! A big improvement than last year ,for sure.
    Vettel’s helmet is surprisingly nice and Button’s is even better than last years.
    The best one for me ,though, is Massa’s as it features my two favourite colours (green and blue).Also, does anybody know what is up with that snake-like sticker at the bottom left of his helmet?

• HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 12th March 2012, 15:22

To me it looks like a dragon. And in Chinese calendar 2012 is Year of the Dragon. Could that be the reason?

• Dan (@danb) said on 12th March 2012, 16:21

Apart from the ‘Aigo’ logo now absent from the front, Jenson’s design is exactly the same as last year.

Personally, I prefer his ‘classic’ design that he used from 2000-2010.

11. Mouse_Nightshirt (@mouse_nightshirt) said on 12th March 2012, 15:00

Trying to admire Vettel’s helmet is like trying to admire Lady Gaga’s look. It changes so often it loses all sense of identity. Just a relief that Vettel is good at what he does (driving) as opposed to Lady Gaga (singing)

12. AlexF1 said on 12th March 2012, 15:19

De La Rosa helmet is so 1990

13. anirudh said on 12th March 2012, 15:34

Why did Paul di Resta have Italian tricolour on his helmet in the first place?

14. Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 12th March 2012, 15:48

Rosberg’s design is starting to look a bit like Ralf Schumacher’s (minus the German tri-colour).

Nothing much in the way of radical changes to the helmets this year, though.

15. Alehud42 (@alehud42) said on 12th March 2012, 16:21

I love the Merc ones, matches the camera on each car.
    I wished Lewis could keep the same helmet from Abu Dhabi last year, that one was amazing.

16. Darmanos said on 12th March 2012, 17:09

Bruno Senna’s (and slightly Hamilton’s) —> not a good idea in my opinion…

17. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 12th March 2012, 18:08

Raikkonen all the way. But a lot of these helmets look really cool from the front. Grosjean’s look really good in his car.

18. KateM (@katem) said on 12th March 2012, 18:26

I’m not keen on the blue that Vettel’s used on his, but it’ll be changed before long! Glock has made changes for the better but Rosberg’s is horrible. As a sentimental so-and-so I do like the designs which are noticeably the same as the driver was using 10 years ago like Button’s, PDLR’s and Webber’s.

19. Rally Man (@rally-man) said on 12th March 2012, 18:46

Massa & Button do it for me. Although I’d like to see other profiles of Massa, but side looks really good! I also like Dani Clos helmet.

20. DragonFly said on 12th March 2012, 19:02

Here’s Karun Chandhok’s helmet, thought its cool, hence sharing . .