Double DRS zones get single detection point in Melbourne

2012 Australian Grand Prix

DRS map, Melbourne, 2012

DRS map, Melbourne, 2012

The FIA has confirmed details of the two DRS zones for this weekend’s Australian Grand Prix.

Drivers will be able to use DRS on two consecutive straights during the race, leading into turns one and three.

There will be a single detection point for the two zones on the entry to turn 14.

Jenson Button said: “I think the potential of a second DRS zone will be a real benefit ?ǣ last year, along the startline wasn?t quite enough for overtaking ?ǣ I think we?ll get more benefit from a second zone.”

Last year twin DRS zones with a single activation point were used in the Canadian and European Grand Prix.

Two DRS zones were also used last year in Abu Dhabi, but each zone had its own detection point.

2012 Australian Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Australian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? FIA

113 comments on Double DRS zones get single detection point in Melbourne

1. Dave_F1 said on 14th March 2012, 19:07

Don’t really like the idea of having a zone between turns 2 & 3 as we usually get overtaking into turn 3 anyway.

I can see the 2nd zone just providing us with easy passing which won’t be exciting & will thus ruin the race.

I really hope this silly DRS experiment ends soon so we get back to proper racing without silly artificial gimmicks.

2. caci99 (@caci99) said on 14th March 2012, 19:08

Since it was announced for two DRS zones, I feared it would have one detection point. Totally ridiculous. I do still remember Massa vs Rosberg in Turkey. Massa overtook Rosberg out of DRS zone, after that Rosberg took the chance of DRS and overtook Massa to regain his position. I am pretty sure that DRS is making drivers to not take chances along the track and wait for the DRS zone. Race after race they will develop this new tactic of overtaking, and all we will be left to watch, is going to be car vs wheelchair.

3. SteveF1 said on 14th March 2012, 19:38

so we still have this drs thing in f1 this year, was hoping it would go away over the winter.

i went into 2011 somewhere in the middle on drs & came out of 2011 absolubely hating the damn thing.

i had turned against drs before this but i completely turned against after spa when i saw webbers awesome overtake of alonso at eau rouge come to nothing a lap later when fernando simply cruised back past webber easily due to the silly drs wing.

went from hating to loathing it after abu dhabi with all that frankly absurd passing-repassing stupidity.

4. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 14th March 2012, 19:47

My understanding was that the only reason the FIA didn’t employ double detection initially was because of technical restraints. I thought they overcame that last year?

However, doesn’t seem fair to knock it until the race is over.

• Dizzy said on 14th March 2012, 19:52

However, doesn’t seem fair to knock it until the race is over.

why not, we have already had a year with drs which was more than enough time to figure out that the system as there using it doesn’t work to produce better racing!

5. DMC (@dmc) said on 14th March 2012, 19:59

I hope we are not going down the american route of more is better
    just to attract the veiwers.

• Jonathan189 (@jonathan189) said on 15th March 2012, 8:32

Specifically, they are trying to attract American viewers in preparation for Austin and New Jersey…

From next season, the cars will have to come into the pits at the end of each lap to allow time for a commercial break.

6. il Leone said on 14th March 2012, 20:11

I can see why they’ve done it, I mean Turn One isn’t really a corner you would expect to overtake anyone, you have to turn quite early into that corner, whereas three is a real overtaking corner.

7. Dave said on 14th March 2012, 20:12

Not sure I agree with the majority of comments here. If the straight after turn 2 was purely a completely straight line, then I would agree. But it isn’t.

For anyone who is behind another driver, I really don’t think it will be all plain sailing due to the way the turn 3 braking zone is, plus taking into account the gradual bend from turn 2 into turn 3 means that it’s not the easiest of overtaking opportunities.

In fact, I’d probably bet higher on someone running into the gravel or smashing into someone at turn 3 because of DRS compared to the probability of ‘fake’ overtaking at that bend due to the nature of the straight and braking zone.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 14th March 2012, 21:05

So Dave, you also see issues with this set of DRS zones, but disagree in the reason why it is a bad idea, thinking it might not actually be too much to have two zones, but also fearing that it is unsafe?

I hope your estimate of the DRS effectiveness comes true for us all, but certainly hope no one crashes into others due to DRS, that would really be bad!

8. Patrick Traille said on 14th March 2012, 21:17

It will make things interesting: 1) it gives the passing driver two chances to attack, 2) with single detection, the overtaken driver does not immediately get a chance to pass back, 3) it can lead to multiple passes: imagine two cars ahead but only one within 1 second. The driver at back overtakes the first on the first zone, then with the speed advantage catches up with the next and is able to use DRS again to pass in the second zone.

9. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 14th March 2012, 21:59

I think DRS would be more tolerated and the “cancelling the dirty air” argument accepted if it was used on short straights that wouldn’t produce overtaking except in the most clear-cut of car advantages (like lapping, for instance).

But moves like this only reinforce the perception that DRS is about passing for passing’s sake.

10. foleyger (@foleyger) said on 14th March 2012, 22:17

DRS has ruined Formula 1. Tis the 1st time in a long time, that I am not looking forward to a season. What’s the point in having all these champions and quality drivers like Perez,Kobayashi and the Forrce India drivers when overtaking is not real a lot of the time. tis an embarassment to the sport

11. StefMeister (@stefmeister) said on 15th March 2012, 0:01

Kinda expected them to do this although was hoping they stuck with just the one.

Didn’t like DRS a year ago & dislike it even more now, Well more specifically the way they use it. While I don’t really have an issue with DRS the device I simply cannot stand the way they have decided to use it.

I thought DRS hurt the racing in 2011, OK there was a lot more passing but I didn’t really find the racing overall to be better as I thought it was less intresting & exciting overall.

There was races last year where I started getting into a battle for position (Or a potential one) only for it to be over as soon as they got to the DRS zone & that took a lot of the fun, excitement & tension out of it for me. In the past I’d be on the edge of my seat as a battle for position unfolded, If a pass happened it would be really exciting to watch & thats what made the racing fun to me. Last year a lot of that wasn’t there & much of the reason why was DRS (Although Pirelli also played a role in some cases).

Situations like the Alonso/Hamilton scrap at Bahrain (Both on equal tyres, Lewis with no KERS, Alonso with no DRS), Hamilton/Vettel at Spain, Vettel/Button/Alonso at Monaco & Schumacher/Hamilton at Monza were the real highlights of 2011 to me. All situations where DRS didn’t really do anything & the battle was more like we saw in the Pre-DRS era.

• sato113 (@sato113) said on 15th March 2012, 0:24

there was no Bahrain GP last year.
      also DRS massively helped the HAM/VET fight at spain last year. it gave HAM an opportunity to overtake, but the zone wasn’t quite long enough.

• StefMeister (@stefmeister) said on 15th March 2012, 1:03

My mistake, Its meant to be Sepang & not Bahrain.

I don’t think DRS did much to the Vettel/Hamilton fight at Spain, Lewis had caught Vettel quite quickly so would have been all over him even without DRS.

12. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 15th March 2012, 0:04

IMO they have done 2 things wrong.
    1. The DRS zone shouldn’t have been put after turn 2, I think it should have been after turn 12.
    2. There shouldn’t have been the single detection point, there should be 2 separate points so that a car overtaken in the first zone can fight back in the second.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 15th March 2012, 0:05

But who knows, with so many things changing this season the drs system could be better than ever this year.

• Dizzy said on 15th March 2012, 1:05

so we can see the sort of laughably ridiculous & stupid passing/repassing we saw at abu-dhabi?

no drs at all would be vastly better!

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 15th March 2012, 8:14

why do people hate on DRS so much? I think its great, sure it should be restricted a bit more so that its not just a free overttake but there’s no doubt that at the tracks that have had it correctly implemented the racing has been great. I think they should continue to have DRS but just make it less easy to overtake by means of limiting the rear wing opening angle. or something.

Oh well. im just ecstatic to have formula 1 back :DDDD

• Dizzy said on 15th March 2012, 13:07

why do people hate on DRS so much?

because not everyone wants to see artificial/gimmickey racing.

giving one driver a big speed boost which cannot be defended against isnt racing, its no fun to watch & saps the excitement out of the races.

as much as i hate drs im hoping that its even more effective this year as that would get people to realise how ridiculous it is & hopefully that would get it banned for 2013.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 15th March 2012, 14:15

If you actually read the rest of my post you’d see that I went on to say that if they keep drs for the foreseeable future, then they should limit the amount of which the rear wing can open. Say, 10 degree limit from original wing angle. So that overtaking would be more difficult and it would be used for what it was intended to do which was to enable the car behind to get closer to the car in front. However the overtake will be more easily performed if a faster car gets a good run out of a corner and the drs is enough to overtake the car in front anyway. However I do disagree to one drs rule, that no matter who it is 1 second in front of you you can open the rear wing. DRS in my opinion should only be active for cars fighting for position, not being able to use it on back markers.

13. GT_Racer said on 15th March 2012, 1:09

I really, Really, Really wish DRS would be either banned or the rules changed to get rid of this silly 1 second behind/DRS zone nonsence!

Been around MotorSport practically my whole life & spend 10 wonderfull years as part of FOM covering F1 & of all the things i’ve seen come & go DRS has to be the worse, most artificial, gimmikey, stupid, ridiculous, boring, unexciting, unintresting, most hatefull piece of **** of all of them!

If I hadn’t already left FOM I’d have left them last year just because I’ve got little intrest covering DRS passes from trackside let alone watching them on TV.

• matthew said on 15th March 2012, 7:05

agree.i cant believe some ppl actually enjoy these boring straight forward easy overtakes.
      i dont wanna see more overtakes,i wanna see more QUALITY overtakes.drs does not give us this.
      the tyres also at times make overtaking too easy too if your on fresher tyres than the person infront.
      and also alot of the time too theres no point in pushing hard to catch the person ahead because by the time you catch up you need to pit again for fresh tyres.
      eventually we are only going to see overtaking in drs zones,because its easier and you dont have to push so hard which means you can keep your tyres in better nick for longer.

14. matthew said on 15th March 2012, 6:54

get rid of drs and also give drivers seperate tyres for quali and the race.
    pre drs f1 was alot better.

15. dkpioe said on 15th March 2012, 8:05

having drs on the front straight is pointless as its mainly to do with how close they can stay in the previous turns leading up to that straight. having the second drs then straight after is terrible, because if a car does get past in the first turn, they can pull away as they with drs! in previous years when a car got past in turn 1, there was a chance of a repass in turn 3. mclaren will win the race, they will use drs to get close enough to the redbull coming to turn one and two, and then breeze past with no effort into turn 3.

16. Dev (@dev) said on 15th March 2012, 9:43

they should allow for DRS for all drivers expect the lead driver, but it should not be overtaking tool… but a tool used to get the cars closer.

17. Matty No 2 (@mattynotwo) said on 15th March 2012, 13:09

Wow, the minororty, but vocal Anti-DRS crowd, have really thrown a childish tantrum this time. You people should just let it go. It’s you people, who are trying to to ruin the enjoyment of F1 for everyone else. Grow up.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 15th March 2012, 13:34

I think you will find that it is far from the minority who are anti-DRS, unless you have decided that something has changed since last year when the majority were against it. Those of us who are anti-DRS are actually for genuine and true enjoyment of F1, because we think that DRS takes away from quality passing and therefore the quality of the show. It seems to go against the grain for you to claim that those of us who stand for a better F1 are actually trying to ruin the enjoyment of F1 for everyone else. It is the opposite.

• foleyger (@foleyger) said on 20th March 2012, 23:10

minority. U haven’t a clue. DRS is a gimmick and spoils real racing

18. Matty No 2 (@mattynotwo) said on 15th March 2012, 15:32

Did DRS stop Lewis from passing Vettel at China?
    Did DRS stop Webber Passing Alo at Spa?
    Did DRS stop Vettel Passing Alo at Monza?

I’m yet to see, either on mainstream TV , or, a mainstream newspaper report, claiming, that the Melbourne Grand Prix, the entire F1 season and F1 as a whole, is ruined, because of a double DRS zone.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 15th March 2012, 17:07

Nobody said all passes now are done strictly by DRS…and while some fans feel DRS has ruined F1 for them, I think most fans still enjoy F1 greatly, just not the passes that make it look too easy, borne by the use of DRS. It’s a gadget that most diehard F1 fans feel shouldn’t be necessary in the pinnacle of racing where we should be seeing the best drivers make the best passes and not because they had the luxury of a device to assist them, and to make the pass look easy and the one being passed look amateur.

Of course DRS can only be used in certain places at all the venues, so of course there are going to be other quality passes going on at other parts of all tracks without the use of DRS. Thank goodness for that. That said not all tracks carry that many passing spots to begin with.

Defend DRS all you like, I just think you will find yourself in a minority vs. those of us who stand against a device needed to promote passing. If a device like this is needed in the pinnacle of racing, many of us feel they have gone in the wrong direction and need to find their way back to promoting seat of the pants racing done by the driver and not a device. Even if the use of it is limited, the very fact that it exists and that we have seen the type of passing it makes for, takes something away from the whole thing.

19. Matty No 2 (@mattynotwo) said on 15th March 2012, 20:53

“Think of people’s outrage when they saw MS potentially about to podium in Montreal until he got passed like he was standing still, and you’ll get where I am coming from with what a lot of people think about DRS.”

Shumi, from what I’m aware, was’nt upset about missing a podium, and nobody else should be upset either. I think it’s a poor example to use as part of an Anti-DRS attack.

“Defend DRS all you like, I just think you will find yourself in a minority vs. those of us who stand against a device needed to promote passing.”

Like I said earlier, mainstream news are’nt reporting thing’s like ” DRS threaten’s to ruin opening F1 race” If anything, it would be more like ” DRS poised to spice up opening F1 race”, but, if it put’s me in the minority, to simply enjoy DRS spicing up F1, rather than feeling anger, bitterness, and the need to attack DRS every race, well OK, fair enough, I’ll happily be in the minority every race.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 15th March 2012, 22:49

I agree with you completely. I support DRS, but I think it shouldnt be overly used, or at least it should be limited. But at the end of the day, whether your for or against it, we have little to no say in what the FIA governing body do with the rules and regulations so it’s somewhat useless for us to debate these issues.