2012 Australian Grand Prix TV Times

2012 Australian Grand Prix

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Melbourne, 2011

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Melbourne, 2011

F1 Fanatic Live will be running during the entire Australian Grand Prix weekend so look out for the live page on the site during every session.

Here are the times of the race coverage here in the UK and which channels they are on.

All the Australian Grand Prix sessions are live on Sky. The BBC are showing highlights of qualifying and the race.

Friday 16th March 2012

Australian Grand Prix Free practice 1: 01:00 – 03:00 (Sky Sports F1)
Practice starts at 01:30

Australian Grand Prix Free practice 2: 05:15 – 07:00 (Sky Sports F1)
Practice starts at 05:30

Saturday 17th March 2012

Australian Grand Prix Free practice 3: 02:45 – 04:00 (Sky Sports F1)
Practice starts at 03:00

Australian Grand Prix Qualifying: 05:30 (Sky Sports F1)
Qualifying starts at 06:00

Australian Grand Prix Qualifying highlights: 13:00 – 14:15 (BBC2, BBC HD)

Sunday 18th March 2012

Australian Grand Prix: 04:30 (Sky Sports F1)
Race starts at 06:00

Australian Grand Prix highlights: 14:00 -?é?á16:00 (BBC1 except Scotland, BBC2 in Scotland)

Please share details of the F1 coverage in your area below.

Find times for every F1 session this year and all the 2012 race dates with the F1 Fanatic Google Calendar.

2012 Australian Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Australian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Daimler/Hoch Zwei

60 comments on 2012 Australian Grand Prix TV Times

1. Steve (@steve) said on 15th March 2012, 9:39

So, if I understand correctly, BBC does not cover the full race anymore? Then I can only hope that there is a Belgian network that covers the races from now on.

• Jeanrien (@jeanrien) said on 15th March 2012, 13:02

the rtbf usualy does (don’t know if you are from Vlanderen or Wallonie), but anyway their comments are very bad. And for Australian, it is not live but at 13:00 for quali on saturday and 13:30 on sunday.
      You can also have the race live on TF1 (again with crappy comments)

Too bad for the BBC, their were the easiest to listen during GP for me (still sometimes stating the obvious but not speaking of the only belgian driver closing the march during entire races ^^)
      We just have to search for sky somewhere …

• Jeanrien (@jeanrien) said on 15th March 2012, 13:05

Sorry there is quali and race on rtbf2 at 6:55 saturday and sonday mornings, my mistake …

• Steve (@steve) said on 15th March 2012, 14:31

Hey, I am from the Flemish part of Belgium, but I do speak and understand French. But as you said, the comments are so awful on TF1 (remembering the time before BBC ;-). I’ve done some searching and it appears VT4 gives live coverage, but the comments are equally crappy, but in Dutch.

• gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 15th March 2012, 22:43

You know what i wish they’d do ? Offer the possibility to watch a sport event live and without commentary ! Imagine a football match without stupid comments, just the sound of the ball and the crowd ! Or just F1’s sound and some telemetry. Or Tennis with just the balls, the referee and Miss Sharapova’s grunts…
        Seriously, I’d love that !

• laird18 said on 15th March 2012, 23:30

Agreed 100%. I often wish for this option, and it should certainly be available to viewers of all sports. Commentators are sooooo 20th century! :)

2. Alex W said on 15th March 2012, 9:39

Worth noting Aussies get the SKY feed all year, free! Yay!

• Ral said on 15th March 2012, 9:43

Heh. So us UK-ians are going to be scouring the net for an Australian proxy instead of the other way around? How ironic.

• Mark Young (@terry-fabulous) said on 15th March 2012, 10:53

Terrific News that Alex
      We are really well served here by ONE
      I’m even starting to warm to the starchy Greg Rust!

As you can imagine, there is seven hours a day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday this weekend.
      WARNING – As soon as the race finishes, Ten is switching to ‘Young Talent Time’. Make sure you watch ONE unless you feel the need to watch ten years old singing Lady Gaga.

3. Stretch (@stretch) said on 15th March 2012, 9:45

6am isn’t that bad Burnie, is it?

4. GeorgeDaviesF1 (@georgedaviesf1) said on 15th March 2012, 10:34

05:55 Qualifying
    5Live
    Sun 18 March 2012
    05:30 Race
    5Live

• John H (@john-h) said on 15th March 2012, 10:57

Thanks George! This what I need. Looking forward to listening instead of sleeping ;)

• Estesark (@estesark) said on 15th March 2012, 14:09

Thanks for this list. Perhaps radio times could be included in future articles, if it’s not too much extra work. I expect the radio audience this season will be significantly higher than last.

• mantolwen (@mantolwen) said on 15th March 2012, 21:27

Yes absolutely! When I was younger I didn’t have a TV so listened to the races on 5 live. Recently I have been lucky with a TV, but I can recommend radio as a great F1 medium. Get live timing from formula1.com and you’re all set!

5. dND (@dnd) said on 15th March 2012, 10:35

6:45 – 8:45 French time on French TV station TF1 (free) for the race but I’ve not found any coverage of practice and qualify.

6. GeorgeTuk (@georgetuk) said on 15th March 2012, 11:21

I know its F1 Fanatic (therefore all about F1) but any chance of showing the support race times which Sky are also showing in the UK?

• Launch Control (@launch-control) said on 15th March 2012, 11:34

I’m pretty sure i was said on here before that Australia has it’s own support races that sky cannot cover, i’m sure someone who knows will confirm?

The 12-round 2012 GP2 series will begin in Malaysia on 23-25 March.

The 2012 GP3 season is starting in Spain at Barcelona on Sunday 13 May 2012.

If you have motorstv they cover Nascar, WRC and plenty other motorsports, Eurosport has WTCC too :)

7. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 15th March 2012, 12:44

No live F1 for me this weekend. :(

• Mooph (@mooph) said on 15th March 2012, 13:20

Same here, does anyone know if/when viewing figures would be released for the F1, both for Sky and BBC, i am curious to see what impact being on sky does to BBC and the fact that it is highlights, i am sure that both will claim whatever numbers they get as a success!

• UncleBob said on 15th March 2012, 13:27

I’m just going to pretend I recorded it and watched it later…..

8. goofy (@goofy) said on 15th March 2012, 12:48

Germany (CET):

Friday:
    FP1: 2:25-4:15 (Sky Sport 2)
    FP2: 6:25-8:15 (Sky Sport 2)

Saturday
    FP3: 3:55-5:15 (Sky Sport 2/HD1) 5:45 (RTL as live)
    Q: 6:45-9:30 (Sky Sport 2/HD1, RTL) and 13:15 (RTL as live)

Sunday:
    R: 6:00-9:30 (Sky Sport 2/HD1, RTL) and 13:15 (RTL as live)

9. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 15th March 2012, 13:27

That’s a punishing start for Sunday, Sky! Early night for me on Saturday.

Interestingly the highlights programmes that the BBC has for both qualifying and the race will probably run the entire length of the sessions. They can’t be leaving much out!

10. graham228221 (@graham228221) said on 15th March 2012, 14:31

Bewilderingly, I’ve actually really missed these early mornings!

I love getting up before dawn, creeping out of bed to annotations wake my girlfriend and head into the front room with a huge cup of coffee – can’t wait :D

11. USA:

Friday practice 1: Live online streaming on SpeedTV.com, Thursday, 9:30 pm eastern time

Friday practice 2: Live on SpeedTV, Friday, 1:30 am eastern time

Saturday practice 3: Live online streaming on SpeedTV.com, Friday, 11:00 pm eastern time

Qualifying: Live on SpeedTV, Saturday, 2:00 am eastern time

Race: Live on SpeedTV, Sunday, 2:00 am eastern time

• Not jealous at all! Nope!

• GT_Racer said on 15th March 2012, 19:14

Something to watch out for is that the pit lane feed will be produced by FOM & I gather will feature a lot of team radio & race control messages & other bits of timing data.

Not sure if there implementing it but I was told a month back they were considering producing the onboard mix like they did with f1 digital+ & including all the tv timing graphics you get on the main feed.

the highlights will also be produced by FOM & will include some additional footage which may not end up on the main feed.

• David Smith said on 17th March 2012, 19:31

Yeah and i’ll be using the money I save by not having sky to go to the Belgium Grand Prix :)

12. Dave said on 15th March 2012, 19:14

Sky times are wrong, it should be:

FP1 – 01:00 to 03:20
    FP2 – 05:15 to 07:20
    F1 Show – 09:30 to 10:30

FP3 – 02:45 to 04:10
    QU – 05:00 to 07:45

RACE – 04:30 to 09:00

13. Le Jimster (@lejimster82) said on 15th March 2012, 19:39

This is really annoying me that I can’t record the practice sessions since Sky have taken over, I’ve only missed a couple of sessions since they started showing them on the beeb. I love the whole build up. I’m zero interested in watching highlights either. It’s either all or nothing as far as I’m concerned. If the Sky option was cheaper I’d buy it, but I can’t afford it, so it looks like I’ll have to find other arrangements to watch my favorite sport :(.

14. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 15th March 2012, 19:48

I’m in the US for the rest of March, I’m guessing SPEED is the way to go? I understand the practice sessions are online streams, but I’ll have to find a TV for qualifying and the race? Help me :P