Kovalainen reveals new Angry Birds helmet design

F1 pictures

Heikki Kovalainen has changed his helmet design on the eve of the 2012 season.

Kovalainen’s new helmet carries the branding of hit mobile game Angry Birds:

See here for a guide to all the other drivers’ helmet designs for 2012:

2012 Australian Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Australian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Caterham/LAT

69 comments on Kovalainen reveals new Angry Birds helmet design

1. jimi said on 15th March 2012, 9:41

See the sensational polish blog about Robert Kubica. Excellent news.
    Translator read

2. moshbeard (@moshbeard) said on 15th March 2012, 10:10

I don’t mind the fact it’s advertising, this is probably my favourite helmet this year.

3. CarolinaBlue704 (@carolinablue704) said on 15th March 2012, 10:10

Looks great in my opinion.

4. Gibo (@gibo) said on 15th March 2012, 10:15

Changed already?!.. Vettel must be upset..

5. choiMatthew said on 15th March 2012, 10:18

Does that mean Heikki will crash into something frequently this year?

6. Vitaly Petrov’s helmet will probably be the green ‘boomerang’ bird because it’s a very difficult bird to control ;)

7. sumedh said on 15th March 2012, 10:46

So whoever Heikki hits on the track, does that person use a pig helmet?

8. Guelph (@guelph) said on 15th March 2012, 12:32

He should have used the yellow bird that speeds up mid-flight

9. Chris Goldsmith said on 15th March 2012, 12:51

This is ace, I really like it. I think it really suits Heikki as well. I wonder if they’ll change it for the other coloured birds during the season.

10. Rob Wilson (@rob-wilson) said on 15th March 2012, 12:51

I love it but the only problem for me is that ive collected all the 1:43 scale diecast f1 models from the 2010 and/or 2011 season and i arrange them in order of their starting position during a live qualifying session so i have a mini version of what the grid will look like before anybody else.. And anyway in my collection Heikki’s helmet obviously green which will upset the reality of my grid which is only slightly annoying because this will be the only thing that won’t be correct in terms on colour co-ordination..for example i have broken petrov’s head off the old renault and trulli’s off the team lotus car and glued petrov’s helmet in the caterham. This sounds psychotic, plus these models vary from £40 to £60 a piece and i’m breaking pieces off, but importantly to me, it looks more accurate to real life. Heikki with a bright red helmet this weekend will niggle me! but ahh well! xD

But yeah, i think it looks great! :D

• verstappen (@verstappen) said on 15th March 2012, 13:32

Apart from a COTD we should have a Fanatic of the day/week/month.
      You @Rob-Wilson deserve to be it! I love your story, especially having to break off Petrov’s head for budget reasons…

OT: I’m not into cartoonesque fashion statements. I hate bugs bunny socks or tweety sun screens for car-windows. This helmet fits right into that league.

11. Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 15th March 2012, 14:17

As a big angry birds fan, this makes me SO HAPPY :D

12. zimkazimka (@zimkazimka) said on 15th March 2012, 14:41

i imagine commentators will have a field day the moment kova crashes into something.

13. Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 15th March 2012, 15:25

Am I the only one that doesn’t understand the infatuation with this game? I played the Google Chrome version and it was boring and way to easy to be even considered a fun game IMHO. I like the name on the side of the helmet but get rid of the ugly bird face and then it’ll be a nice lid.

14. Kirill (@) said on 15th March 2012, 15:40

It’s fun, but it looks more like hockey goalkeeper’s helmet. I like his previous design, it was really cool, IMO

15. strunk27 (@strunk27) said on 15th March 2012, 15:45

My girlfriend who shows no interest in formula 1 loved this helmet when I showed her.

It’s a pretty cool one-off helmet. I love the font

16. Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 15th March 2012, 16:25

Best helmet design on the grid at the moment. Love it.

17. Hollis Graham (@) said on 15th March 2012, 16:31

This is awesome. I love helmets that contrast with the cars colours.
    Top five: Senna, Massa, Heikki, Fernando and Schumacher (I know it’s just red but with the Merc it looks awesome!)

18. George (@george) said on 15th March 2012, 17:39

Meh, I thought green suited Heikki. The big cartoon eyes make me think of NASCAR :/

19. Fixy (@fixy) said on 15th March 2012, 20:54

This helmet is really good, although I liked his previous helmet which was distinctive of Heikki. This helmet is very distincive as well but has less to do with the driver, which is somewhat a pity. But it’s great!

20. PaulK (@paulk) said on 16th March 2012, 1:16

There’s already lots of posts, but I must let it registered.

Great Helmet. Perfect.