2012 Australian Grand Prix grid

2012 Australian Grand Prix

Lewis Hamilton heads a McLaren one-two on the grid for the Australian Grand Prix.

Romain Grosjean claimed third ahead of Michael Schumacher and the two Red Bulls.

Row 1 1. Lewis Hamilton 1’24.922
20. Timo Glock 1’30.923
Marussia
Row 11 21. Charles Pic 1’31.67
Marussia
22. Sergio Perez* No time
Sauber

*Five-place grid penalty due to gearbox change.

Did not qualify: Pedro de la Rosa, HRT and Narain Karthikeyan, HRT – outside 107% rule.

2012 Australian Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Australian Grand Prix articles

129 comments on 2012 Australian Grand Prix grid

1. sato113 (@sato113) said on 17th March 2012, 7:47

ha typical back 3 teams in same positions

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 17th March 2012, 8:35

Yes,but the differences between them are bigger than ever. Caterham are less than a second off the mid-field, Marussia 2 seconds slower and HRT a further 2 seconds slower.

2. Slr (@slr) said on 17th March 2012, 8:42

Maldonado deserves some praise for his effort, he has many harsh critics, but he’s done a great job today. I hope he can get some points tomorrow.

3. montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 17th March 2012, 8:52

Enjoyed the qualifying and the result.

Williams seem to be much improved from last year. Also Lotus are looking good, despite Kimi’s (understandable) mistake. Big thumbs up for Grosjean Looking forward to a fightback from him tomorrow, as well as from Alonso. Not holding my breath for a Massa fightback though. Speaking of which, even though I don’t like Ferrari, I don’t wanna see them at the back of the mid-field.

It is way to early to rule out Red bull from the fight for victory. Let’s see the race pace first.

Other things I’ve noticed: Toro Rosso are the best Ferrari engined team in Melbourne. The intra-team battle there is, as was expected, ultra close.
    Wasn’t surprised that Hulk out-qualified Di Resta. They’re a bit like Hamilton and Button. Paul maybe steadier but Nico’s ultimately faster IMO. Which brings me to:
    Mclaren-great showing from the best looking car on the grid! Even though I’m not a Macca fan I want them to beat all the ugly ducklings this year.

Last but not least: What odds for a certain M. Schumacher leading at the end of lap 1 tomorrow? :)

4. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 17th March 2012, 9:01

A pretty good shuffled grid, happy!

It’s a shame that we didn’t get to see the true pace of the F2012 or what Raikkonen could do with the E20 but Melbourne was always going to catch some out.

5. alexf1man (@alexf1man) said on 17th March 2012, 9:16

The first GP without a Red Bull on the front row since Italy 2010. Also Red Bull’s worst qualifying for three years, unless I’m mistaken.

6. Ryan Williams (@ryanwilliams) said on 17th March 2012, 9:34

I think we’re in for a real classic tomorrow. It’ll be great to see how Webber and Vettel get on in the first few laps with the ever-present threat of a first corner pile-up. Grosjean put in a fantastic performance today and deserves his 3rd place grid slot, especially since the team seem to be all about Raikkonen at the moment. Mercedes look good for a podium, although my F1F prediction has Vettel 3rd, so I’d like to see him up there!

It’s worrying how far off the pace Ferrari are, especially Felipe. The car is all over the place at the moment and it’s going to be tough for Ferrari to salvage anything from this weekend although, with incidents likely, Alonso may scrape some points.

I don’t know how Fernando thought he was going to get out of the Turn 1 gravel trap. He was a long way in and the marshals had no chance of pushing him out. I can understand why Fernando was frustrated, but there was literally no way he was getting out of there

7. Legomanshair said on 17th March 2012, 9:36

Glad I don’t have to miss the start of the top few in order to watch schumi’s start tomorrow as I have in almost every race since his comeback. Hopefully we will geta podium or even better a win for schumi tomoz!…..he never gives up

8. Paul Crich (@) said on 17th March 2012, 10:18

Fantastic qualifying session. I picked Hamilton for pole and was only .096 out with the time. Not bad for a first attempt. Happy days. :-)

9. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 17th March 2012, 10:36

What tyres was everyone on?

10. Cant see Grosjean being able to hold onto 3rd place to be honist, I really hope Schumacher doesn’t go for one of his light hearted moves and loses his front wing, he has a lot to prove now especially after his 4th place in quali. I really hope he is able to get onto the podium… ALL MERCEDES PODIUM – HAMILTON from BUTTON from SCHUMACHER!!!!!!!!

11. Nick T said on 17th March 2012, 14:19

Now that Red Bull will need both its drivers to score and cant afford to dial back webber’s car, will we see a more accurate view of the difference between webber and vettel?

Well, looks like winter times were actually very representative of the teams’ pace. I feel vindicated in my predictions for Williams with Pastor’s qualifying. Ironically, people have been running pastor through the mud as a hack while many people thought Senna deserved a chance much more than him. Not saying Senna won’t improve, but I think people should start admitting that for the amount of money he brings he is a pretty good deal. He’ll never win anything but he is competent with the potential to score regularly.

12. Williams qualyfing 6 10ths off the Redbulls!!! Thats more surprising to me than seeing Grosjean in 3rd, given how dominant Redbull where and how shockingly bad Williams have been in recent years.