Sergio Perez has been relegated to 22nd on the provisional grid for the Australian Grand Prix.
The Sauber driver was handed a five-place penalty following a gearbox change.
He was unable to set a time in Q2 because of the problem: “We made some set-up changes to the car today and in Q1 I was busy adapting my driving style a bit.
“In Q2 I knew exactly what to do but then I could not shift any more because of a gearbox problem. It is a true shame as there was a lot more to come from the car and from myself.”
Perez’s penalty will move him behind Kimi Raikkonen, both Caterhams and both Marussias.
If HRT are not allowed to start, having failed to beat the 107% time in Q1, Perez will be the last starter on the grid.
Perez was disqualified fro last year’s Australian Grand Prix following a technical infringement.
See the updated Australian Grand Prix grid.
2012 Australian Grand Prix
- Tales from a Melbourne marshal
- Button wins first Driver of the Weekend vote of 2012
- Rate the race result: 2012 Australian Grand Prix
- F1 fans’ video highlights from the Australian Grand Prix weekend
- Schumacher keeps Mercedes’ front wing hidden after spin
Browse all 2012 Australian Grand Prix articles
Image ?é?® Sauber F1 Team