Rate the race: 2012 Australian Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the Australian Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Did the two DRS zones make for a better race than the single one used last year? Have your say in the comments.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Australian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (0%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (1%)
  • 5 (2%)
  • 6 (8%)
  • 7 (27%)
  • 8 (40%)
  • 9 (15%)
  • 10 (5%)

Total Voters: 914

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

268 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Australian Grand Prix

1. 9 – Superb race with loads of action from start to finish. Cracking last lap, big shame for Maldonado who drove very well. I’m 50/50 with his incident with Grosjean, both drivers played their part in that collision.

Kamui, Jenson and Seb were the drivers of the day. Mark did well considering his first lap knocks, and good races from the other Sauber of Perez and the Toro Rosso of Ricciardo. As for Kimi, he did alright.

Ferrari couldn’t have had two more contrasting races, Alonso was superb considering his car and massive pressure from Pastor. Shows just why he is a two-time champion. Massa on the other hand… Pathetic.

Those saying this year’s Pirellis have been conservative should think again. This race saw some drivers still hitting the cliff and losing bundles of grip and time. Albert Park is an unusual, quirky circuit and depending on which car you have, tyre wear is quite varied. Degradation is about the same as last year I reckon.

2. And1star (@and1star) said on 18th March 2012, 10:36

I gave the race an 8/10, but must’ve been an 8.5/10 ;). It was great to see the midfield batlling and move on to the top nearly. Great race from Jenson, Maldonado, the Saubers and Toro Rosso. Big disappointment for Massa, but that’s what I’ve had expected. Alonso also had a solid performance, but had some luck and clever moves. Too bad Maldonado crashed, he was the surprise of the race. I felt sorry for Grosjean, he would have driven a good race and it would have been even more exciting then it already was. Also felt very bad for Schumacher (but I’m a great fan of him, so it’s logic ;) ) because he was doing great in 3th place.
    Only bad thing was that McLaren dominated (felt good for them, but not for the excitment).
    Overall, really good race and hoping for the others be as good as this one.

3. James (@jamesjames123abc) said on 18th March 2012, 10:49

Gave it a 7.

Shame to see that Lotus and especially Mercedes have poor race pace relative to their qualifying pace. I think the DRS worked quite well in that it allowed a driver to get close through the first zone and then give them a chance in the second zone. The tyre strategies are definitely more varied as opposed to last year.

4. Mathers (@mathers) said on 18th March 2012, 11:03

I rated it a 7 – good close racing in the midfield but the front was quite static, and I was looking forward to seeing Vettel against Hamilton but we lost that because of the Safety Car, and seeing Grosjean and Schumacher out early was a disappointment. I felt sorry for Maldonado and Williams, but if all of the races are as interesting as this then I will be very happy!

On a side note, I thought Sky did a great job, and I am looking forward to Malaysia with anticipation!

5. alexskev (@alexskev) said on 18th March 2012, 11:08

I am constantly being surprised by how good Button is and how he seems to keep getting better. I know it is early days but i might have to put a few bob on him for the WDC.

6. I’ve given a seven. Mostly on account of the final two laps which provided the most excitement.
    Great to see signs of a revival at Williams. Lotus looking capable of mixing it up as we progress too.
    Lucky boy Vettel.

7. Fixy (@fixy) said on 18th March 2012, 11:27

9/10
    Probably I’m overexcited as it’s the first race in months – but what a race.
    There were surprises all around, from lap 1 to the final lap (perhaps the most chaotic I’ve ever seen); surprise retirements, problems for some drivers, a great recovery by Perez, Raikkonen, Alonso and the Red Bulls, many overtakes and a deserved winner.

8. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 18th March 2012, 11:37

Loved just about every moment!

8/10

9. Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 18th March 2012, 12:19

8. Great race, but Button running away with it in a Vettel-like fashion, the safety car, Maldonado crashing, Massa’s brain fading away and Schuey retiring kind of ruined it.

10. Paul A (@paul-a) said on 18th March 2012, 12:39

Good season opener — but a couple of points.

All this talk about “ugly” cars, on my 31 inch TV screen I hardly noticed the stepped noses at all.

In Canada, we get the new [Sky?] commentary with Coulthard and some chappie who seems to ask more questions between long silences than give answers; and I miss Ted Kravitz’s pit commentary and above all Brundle’s good insight.

• Mathers (@mathers) said on 18th March 2012, 15:16

I think it is the BBC commentary with DC, and the other guy is Ben Edwards, he does the season review DVDs, and he does seem to ask a lot of questions!

11. Gradient said on 18th March 2012, 13:06

Perez started dead last and within few laps he was up there, very impressed!
    Disappointed for Grosjean and for Rosberg/Schumacher.
    Massa should be replaced and I would not be surprised if that happens during the season. Perez takes his place in Ferrari and Esteban Gutierrez is being promoted to Sauber. Happy for Marussia that they finished the race without any pre-season testing, hopefully they can find something for their car when the Mclaren partnership gets beneficial for them from Barcelona and onwards.

12. Ciaran (@ciaran) said on 18th March 2012, 13:36

I gave it 8/10.
    Not much battling at the front for my liking, but the racing further back was more than enough for me. Great drives by Alonso and Maldonado, and the chaotic last lap was good fun to watch.
    Bad points were Schumacher and Grosjean retiring and Massa being rubbish.

13. Andy Redden (@andyredden-on-f1) said on 18th March 2012, 13:45

8, good action throughout. To be 9/10 needs a good battle of the lead of the race which this didn’t have, although all other areas were good battles.

14. Estesark (@estesark) said on 18th March 2012, 13:51

7 for me. It wasn’t dull, but in truth, I think qualifying was more exciting than the race. That’s where the start-of-season unpredictability shone through. The race felt very reminiscent of 2011, at the front: McLaren and Red Bull fighting it out for the top four positions with Alonso dragging a poor Ferrari as high as he could behind them. Mercedes could have made things much more interesting but they fell woefully short. Lotus, too, would have spiced things up, but Grosjean made an early retirement and Räikkönen qualified too far back. I was expecting him to finish ninth or tenth, which he would have done without Maldonado’s incredible crash and Rosberg’s problem (I’m still not sure what caused it, as it all happened while Button was taking the victory). A solid return for Kimi; he’ll be in the middle points very regularly this season, I’m sure.

I must have said this half a dozen times last season, but I’ll say it again: I can’t bring myself to award high marks (8 or above) for any race which lacks a meaningful battle for the lead. After Button passed Hamilton at the first turn, he was never under too much pressure. There were some great battles down the field, including the brilliant scramble over the line for the last points-scoring positions, but it was not a classic. I would probably have given it a 6 if Vettel had won it, but I decided that having someone else on the top step merited an extra point :)

15. Beyond (@lello4ever) said on 18th March 2012, 14:08

i don’t understand how so much people are giving this race 8…

• F1_WI (@f1_wi) said on 18th March 2012, 22:20

Probably for the same reason I did; the excitement of the first race of the year, the unpredictable nature of the race, and battles for every point position except the first one.

16. Decent race but quite far from what could have been, in my humble opinion. Good first 10 laps, entertaining last 3-4 laps. Something happening here and there during and after the safety car period (the weird “pack slowing down behind the platform” moment) and the tire change windows and that’s it. The rest of it – a bit dull.

There’s definitely something to build the season onto with McLaren, Red Bull, Mercedes, Lotus and Ferrari (later in the season) fighting for podium positions and Sauber, Force India, Williams and Toro Rosso looking at constant points finishes, not far behind.

However, I did not expect to see Mercedes starting the season on the wrong foot (again!) as I didn’t expect Lotus to finish only 7th with Raikkonen (with a bit of good luck following Rosberg and Perez’s coming together). I could have bet they were going to fight for a top 5 finish with at least one driver. So, the two potential revelations of this season are sort-of yet to confirm… However Raikkonen’s almost successful triple-overtake and his charge from 17th on the grid deserves some standing ovations.

It was good to see Williams back in the game, even for a little while. The car seems fast and the package has potential but I don’t think Maldonado & Senna are the drivers to get the most out of it. Especially with the Saubers, Toro Rossos and Force Indias gunning for the same 6th place in the constructors’ championship, all of them lining up decent to good packages and talented result-thirsty drivers.

At the top, the McLarens seem to have switched places with Red Bull in terms of performace. Good steady pace from Webber and Alonso. Disastrous race for Massa and I have a strong feeling he won’t finish his season at Ferrari, especially with Jules Bianchi waiting around the corner…

Sort of disappointed to see Caterham pretty much doing the same thing they did last year. I was expecting them to fight at least for a 10th place / a borderline points finish.

There was something about the new Pirellis too that had “tame and predictible” written all over it today, but Melbourne wasn’t exactly the perfect place for the rubber to show its true wear and so on. Malaysia should answer some more questions in this matter.

All in all, looking forward to next weekend. I can’t wait for a proper podium fight between the 8 McLaren, Red Bull, Mercedes and Lotus drivers. Maybe Malaysia will bring that. :)

17. Jonathan189 (@jonathan189) said on 18th March 2012, 15:34

Just finished watching the 1hr 10mins of highlights on the BBC.

It’s not the same.

Who is the new commentator? They didn’t even introduce him.

18. lainie (@elainie) said on 18th March 2012, 15:41

7/10;Excited with some disappointment as well…
    I think Mclaren definitively needs to rethink their policy; Lewis is always much harsher on his tyres and Jenson usually always stays out much longer.
    I agree that the lead driver should get first choice of when to come in, but to make the 2nd driver wait till after this is crazy, especially when you could see lewis’s times plummet.
    Lewis lost a total of 4sec in the first pit stop alone and this contributed heavily into his third place, along with the safety car.
    As a consequence Mclaren lost valuable points today, when they could of probably had a mclaren 1 and 2…..

Sort it out Mclaren….

19. Babar Ali said on 18th March 2012, 15:55

Ferrari is such a big name and is becoming a shadow with each passing year…..Alonso is a great driver, he is the one keeping Ferrari alive while Massa is clearly struggling since 2011…… I wish Ferrari all the best of LUCK in coming races.

20. carbon_fibre (@carbon_fibre) said on 18th March 2012, 15:59

Pretty boring race to me.There was no battle for the lead,the DRS was useless and there were lots of close racing but not many overtakes.I give a 5.