Rate the race: 2012 Australian Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the Australian Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Did the two DRS zones make for a better race than the single one used last year? Have your say in the comments.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Australian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (0%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (1%)
  • 5 (2%)
  • 6 (8%)
  • 7 (27%)
  • 8 (40%)
  • 9 (15%)
  • 10 (6%)

Total Voters: 914

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

268 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Australian Grand Prix

1. il Leone said on 18th March 2012, 9:54

Amazing racing, particularly near the end. I know Button will be champion now!

2. Ritesh (@rits) said on 18th March 2012, 10:04

The one guy who voted this race a 1 – Hamilton. :p

An 8 from me.

Likes:
    1 – Great racing in the midfield, great racing for 4th, 5th and 6th.
    2 – Brilliant race from Jenson.
    3 – Another brilliant performance from Alonso, as usual.
    4 – Good run from Kimi, he still has it and that’s worth a smile.
    5 – Di Resta salvaged a point for Force India.
    6 – Webber’s pace.
    7 – Maldonado’s girlfriend. ;)

Dislikes:
    1 – Hamilton’s unnecessarily long face post-race.
    2 – Massa and his driving.
    3 – Mercedes GP and Rosberg’s terribly mediocre performance.
    4 – Mercedes GP reliability issues, shocked.
    5 – Grosjean’s & Hulkenberg’s misfortune.
    6 – Maldonado’s stupidity.
    7 – Vettel’s P2 finish. (Say what you want but I’m not happy with it.)

The DRS was pretty useless here, I’m not sure if the double zones worked.
    Pirelli will do a good job this year, from what I could see today.

3. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 18th March 2012, 10:06

9 – the winner was never really in doubt, but the battle in the midfield more than made up for it. The double-DRS zones worked (amazingly), creating enough overtaking but still allowing the leading driver some chance to defend his position. Even besides that, there was overtaking up and down the field, and Perez once again proved unusual strategies can work. He was unlucky to lose his place. Still, Maldonado’s crash did prove karma is real.

Then there was that manic last lap, which for me bumped this up from an 8 to a 9. It was a race you wanted to keep watching, which is always a positive, and while I’m sure we will see better this season, Albert Park has produced yet another great season opener.

4. sid_prasher (@) said on 18th March 2012, 10:07

Some great drives….but Petrov’s car breaking down messed up the race…going with 7.

Button was faultless today, McLaren clearly proved they are going to be the team to beat.
    Great drive by Vettel…even better by Alonso. Disappointed for Schumacher and Grosjean.
    Moldonado earned some respect today but today was a great opportunity to earn some points.
    Decent return for Kimi as well…

5. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 18th March 2012, 10:12

6/10 + 1 for the last lap.

6. 9 – Superb race with loads of action from start to finish. Cracking last lap, big shame for Maldonado who drove very well. I’m 50/50 with his incident with Grosjean, both drivers played their part in that collision.

Kamui, Jenson and Seb were the drivers of the day. Mark did well considering his first lap knocks, and good races from the other Sauber of Perez and the Toro Rosso of Ricciardo. As for Kimi, he did alright.

Ferrari couldn’t have had two more contrasting races, Alonso was superb considering his car and massive pressure from Pastor. Shows just why he is a two-time champion. Massa on the other hand… Pathetic.

Those saying this year’s Pirellis have been conservative should think again. This race saw some drivers still hitting the cliff and losing bundles of grip and time. Albert Park is an unusual, quirky circuit and depending on which car you have, tyre wear is quite varied. Degradation is about the same as last year I reckon.

7. And1star (@and1star) said on 18th March 2012, 10:36

I gave the race an 8/10, but must’ve been an 8.5/10 ;). It was great to see the midfield batlling and move on to the top nearly. Great race from Jenson, Maldonado, the Saubers and Toro Rosso. Big disappointment for Massa, but that’s what I’ve had expected. Alonso also had a solid performance, but had some luck and clever moves. Too bad Maldonado crashed, he was the surprise of the race. I felt sorry for Grosjean, he would have driven a good race and it would have been even more exciting then it already was. Also felt very bad for Schumacher (but I’m a great fan of him, so it’s logic ;) ) because he was doing great in 3th place.
    Only bad thing was that McLaren dominated (felt good for them, but not for the excitment).
    Overall, really good race and hoping for the others be as good as this one.

8. James (@jamesjames123abc) said on 18th March 2012, 10:49

Gave it a 7.

Shame to see that Lotus and especially Mercedes have poor race pace relative to their qualifying pace. I think the DRS worked quite well in that it allowed a driver to get close through the first zone and then give them a chance in the second zone. The tyre strategies are definitely more varied as opposed to last year.

9. Mathers (@mathers) said on 18th March 2012, 11:03

I rated it a 7 – good close racing in the midfield but the front was quite static, and I was looking forward to seeing Vettel against Hamilton but we lost that because of the Safety Car, and seeing Grosjean and Schumacher out early was a disappointment. I felt sorry for Maldonado and Williams, but if all of the races are as interesting as this then I will be very happy!

On a side note, I thought Sky did a great job, and I am looking forward to Malaysia with anticipation!

10. alexskev (@alexskev) said on 18th March 2012, 11:08

I am constantly being surprised by how good Button is and how he seems to keep getting better. I know it is early days but i might have to put a few bob on him for the WDC.

11. I’ve given a seven. Mostly on account of the final two laps which provided the most excitement.
    Great to see signs of a revival at Williams. Lotus looking capable of mixing it up as we progress too.
    Lucky boy Vettel.

12. Fixy (@fixy) said on 18th March 2012, 11:27

9/10
    Probably I’m overexcited as it’s the first race in months – but what a race.
    There were surprises all around, from lap 1 to the final lap (perhaps the most chaotic I’ve ever seen); surprise retirements, problems for some drivers, a great recovery by Perez, Raikkonen, Alonso and the Red Bulls, many overtakes and a deserved winner.

13. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 18th March 2012, 11:37

Loved just about every moment!

8/10

14. Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 18th March 2012, 12:19

8. Great race, but Button running away with it in a Vettel-like fashion, the safety car, Maldonado crashing, Massa’s brain fading away and Schuey retiring kind of ruined it.

15. Paul A (@paul-a) said on 18th March 2012, 12:39

Good season opener — but a couple of points.

All this talk about “ugly” cars, on my 31 inch TV screen I hardly noticed the stepped noses at all.

In Canada, we get the new [Sky?] commentary with Coulthard and some chappie who seems to ask more questions between long silences than give answers; and I miss Ted Kravitz’s pit commentary and above all Brundle’s good insight.