A selection of the best pictures from the first race weekend of the season.
Jean-Eric Vergne, Friday practice
F1 newcomer Jean-Eric Vergne gets cracking on the first day of the new season, kicking up spray in the wet practice on Friday.
Michael Schumacher, Friday practice
Michael Schumacher demonstrated Mercedes’ potential by setting the fastest time as the track dried in the second session.
Fernando Alonso, qualifying
Fernando Alonso persevered in a difficult weekend with the unco-operative Ferrari F2012.
Romain Grosjean, qualifying
A superb lap saw Romain Grosjean secure third on the grid on his F1 comeback with Lotus.
Mark Webber, qualifying
Mark Webber pauses for a moment’s reflection after out-qualifying team mate Sebastian Vettel.
Australian Grand Prix start
Lewis Hamilton took pole position but didn’t hold his lead for long as team mate Jenson Button beat him off the line.
Heikki Kovalainen, Australian Grand Prix
Heikki Kovalainen wrestles with the Caterham CT01 during the race.
Timo Glock, Australian Grand Prix
Timo Glock rounds Albert Park lake on his way to finishing 14th – an impressive feat given Marussia’s lack of pre-season testing.
Sebastian Vettel, Australian Grand Prix
The evening light catches Sebastian Vettel as he returns to the pits after finishing second.
McLaren, Australian Grand Prix
Button celebrates his third Australian Grand Prix win in four years.
More Australian Grand Prix pictures
- 2012 Australian Grand Prix in pictures
- 2012 Australian Grand Prix qualifying in pictures
- 2012 Australian Grand Prix practice in 100 pictures
- 2012 Australian Grand Prix build-up in pictures
2012 Australian Grand Prix
- Tales from a Melbourne marshal
- Button wins first Driver of the Weekend vote of 2012
- Rate the race result: 2012 Australian Grand Prix
- F1 fans’ video highlights from the Australian Grand Prix weekend
- Schumacher keeps Mercedes’ front wing hidden after spin
Browse all 2012 Australian Grand Prix articles
Images ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images, Daimler/Hoch Zwei, Ferrari spa, Lotus F1 Team/LAT, Red Bull/Getty images, McLaren/Hoch Zwei, Caterham/LAT, Marussia, Red Bull/Getty images, McLaren/Hoch Zwei