Karthikeyan penalised for Vettel collision

2012 Malaysian Grand Prix

Narain Karthikeyan, HRT, Sepang, 2012Narain Karthikeyan has been penalised 20 seconds in the Malaysian Grand Prix.

The HRT driver was handed the penalty following contact between him and Sebastian Vettel during the race.

Karthikeyan’s penalty relegates him to last behind team mate Pedro de la Rosa.

Vettel, who suffered a puncture and brake damage in the collision, said: “[To] lose the race how I did is very frustrating. Some people need to look more where they are going.”

See the updated race classification.

2012 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® HRT F1 Team

161 comments on Karthikeyan penalised for Vettel collision

1. Abuelo Paul (@abuello-paul) said on 26th March 2012, 8:48

And again we see, as often happens, an ego damaged by a silly mistake and major finger pointing. How Johnny and the other stewards reached their decision is beyond me. I watched the race and immediately commented that Vettel had got it wrong. He drove right over the HRT front wing. At those speeds the overtaking driver, the more experienced driver, the 2x world champ, the “best ” in the world, should have been more aware and less aggressive. In my opinion Vettel is the idiot, not for the mistake, but for trying to push it off as someone else’s fault, again. Spoilt Brat springs to mind, again.

2. Abuelo Paul (@abuello-paul) said on 26th March 2012, 8:55

A touch of racism creeping in there, not justified. I think people will always take the side of the underdog when the bullying tactics of Ex-world champions is brought to question. Looking back, I agree, Hamilton was a nasty driver last year, and the year before, and before that too. Schumacher has many times been guilty of “sidewalling” slower cars, Vettel hasn’t needed to get nasty for 2 years leading from the front, but I think this year we will see a different side of him. Alonso at times has been involved in some fraccas, and always the slower, less experienced driver is criticised. Top level drivers easily forget that at one time they were struggling at the back and holding up the top ten.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 26th March 2012, 9:40

@abuello-paul

A touch of racism creeping in there

Where?

• Andy M (@immaturestudent) said on 26th March 2012, 10:18

Hamilton is an aggressive driver, not a nasty driver.

As for the HRT, forget the 107% rule. They are too slow in the corners and should not be out there racing. Their lap times were 7 seconds+ slower at some points which is too dangerous. The experiment for the newer teams seems to have failed in HRT’s case… and Marussia are not a lot better.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 26th March 2012, 10:52

@immaturestudent

First of all, being seven seconds off the pace in a race where the fastest lap was 1’40.7 is as near as makes no difference 107%.

Why, in your view, is seven seconds automatically “dangerous”? What about six seconds? 6.5s? 6.9s?

As I always say: at Le Mans they race on a much narrower track in the dark with cars up to 29% slower than the pole sitter. And some of the drivers being lapped are amateurs.

If they can cope with that, F1 drivers can cope with far worse than a 7% difference.

3. edisonhuang said on 26th March 2012, 10:14

Anyone remembered 2005 Turkish GP? Karthikeyan made a same mistake to Montoya on 55th lap. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lne2Vd8LHyk 7:16

4. me262 said on 26th March 2012, 10:19

penalised 20 seconds?? well thats stuffed his race…

Vettel allegedly called him a cucumber, i dont understand. Its all apples and oranges for me

5. Ean (@ean) said on 26th March 2012, 10:40

Bad luck for Vettel He was actually catching Hamilton before his coming together. I have recorded the race and it is shown in the split times shown on the TV

6. Danksa (@danieljaksa) said on 26th March 2012, 10:58

When passing back markers, more care should be taken by the driver in the quicker car. In this case, both were in the wrong – both were ultimately penalised – poetic justice for poor driving.

7. Michaela (@michaela6) said on 26th March 2012, 11:49

no matter whose faul was it I was laughing so hard about the cucumber comment :D I lvoe how F1 is entertainig even outside the track :D

8. Michaela (@michaela6) said on 26th March 2012, 11:49

no matter whose faul was it I was laughing so hard about the cucumber comment :D I love how F1 is entertaining even outside the track :D

9. Well for me it rather looked, that both of the drivers were not aware what might happen. First of all Khartikeyan, knowing that his HRT is much slower than the RedBull, expected Vettel to be much quicker. On the other hand Vettel expect himself to be much faster and didn’t expect Khartikeyan being so close…..so for me it looks like an a usual racing incident…..not worth of any penalty for either driver….and I think Vettel should reconsider what kind of stupid mistakes he did himself in the past (Webber, when Vettel was drivig TorroRosso; Istanbul and Button in Spa)….it proves that, really, he’s a nice mature guy, when he’s winning and has a dominat car….otherwise a small boy from Heppenheim, who’s in his adolescense…..

10. PS: we still saw the Vettel-Finger………but the middle one (yeah!)

11. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 26th March 2012, 12:03

After watching the replays, I think both were at fault. Vettel does get back a bit early, but Narain seems to move towards Vettel a bit – I wonder if FIA releases more images? They did promise that, dind’t they?
    If nothing happened, there shouldn’t be no penalty, but since Vettel got that puncture, Narain had to get some punishment as well, in my opinion.

12. John White (@jonty1512) said on 26th March 2012, 12:26

I think Vettel needs to remember Fuji 2007, Turkey 2010 and Spa 2010. Three times he was the ‘idiot’ driver where he needlessly collided with other drivers ruining their races. Just because he’s won 2 World Championships it doesn’t automatically make him right. I still see it as Vettel’s fault as he pulled across the front of the HRT without making sure he had fully passed him, exactly the same as Hamilton and Kobayashi at Spa last year. Hamilton accepted that was his fault therefore Vettel should be humble and accept responsibility for this collision. Just like the Vettel of old throwing his toys out of the pram just because things aren’t going his way

13. John White (@jonty1512) said on 26th March 2012, 12:43

Surely Vettel should be sanctioned for unsporting behaviour. Surely showing an obscene gesture (giving the middle finger) to another driver would be deemed as unsportsmanlike.

14. Randy (@randy) said on 26th March 2012, 13:01

My feelings about the whole incident are the definition of ambivalence right now.

Firstly, he did destroy Button’s race though clearly unintentionally. I was bursting with anger when i saw the front wing endplate falling of Jenson’s car but his own admition of fault was something very impressive to me.

Secondly, he did move over to Vettel’s side slashing his tyre having two car lenghts of space on the track while being lapped. None of his excuses are applicable, he had more than enough space, he had to let Vettel through and slammed into his tyre with full throttle.

I must be honest – i was hoping to see the end of Vettel’s stream of uninterrupted success, but not by a mobile crash magnet in shape of the least promising and least talented pay driver on the F1 grid in a long time. His only ever F1 points came as a result of USA 2005 GP farce which make his embarrassing F1 carreer look even worse. It pains me to see him on the track and waste a spot that could otherwise be filled by a promising young rookie. It casts a very dim shadow on HRT’s image that they allow to spoil F1’s magnificence with such a propostrous driver.

15. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 26th March 2012, 13:35

Yeah, I’ll go with the majority here and say that Vettel was at fault there. He should have made an allowance for Karthikeyan being behind him, it’s not like they were racing for position where he had to really defend the line.

Silly mistake and he will no doubt be frustrated. Nothing more than that really.