Rate the race: 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix

2012 Malaysian Grand Prix

What did you think of the Malaysian Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (1%)
  • 5 (1%)
  • 6 (3%)
  • 7 (9%)
  • 8 (26%)
  • 9 (40%)
  • 10 (19%)

Total Voters: 905

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

210 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix

1. west (@west) said on 25th March 2012, 16:51

Ferrari contacted the bmw sauber and ask them to slow down their driver, and let alonso win in return they will give sauber a free engine that was the deal , otherwise perez whould have won this race.

2. smifaye (@smifaye) said on 25th March 2012, 16:52

I really enjoyed the race but I only gave it a 7 as for on track action there wasn’t a massive amount towards the front. There was some great mixed results and it was fantastic to see a Sauber in P2 and a Williams in P6 with some of the top drivers down the order like Vettel and Button but I think the weather stopped it from being a great battle that I was looking forward to.

With wet races you get unexpected results but as for wheel to wheel action, it is normally one driver defenseless with no grip against a driver on the right tyres which I don’t find particularly enthralling.

Nonetheless, good to see so far this year the results are all over the place. Good for F1, not good if you support a specific driver.

3. wigster (@wigster) said on 25th March 2012, 17:18

I gave it a 9.

Lots of entertainment and action throughout the race, an unexpected people in the points.

Having brought the safety car out the red flag was the right call to avoid wasting laps.

However I couldn’t give it a 10 as the safety car was out for too long after the red flag evidenced by half the field pitting for inters as soon as the safety car came in. If the cars aren’t able to race on full wet tyres what the point in having them?

Also the last stint could have benefited from a closer battle between the front runners. Not necessarily Perez/Alonso though a close wheel to wheel battle for any of the podium / high points scoring positions would have given the grand prix a great finish.

4. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 25th March 2012, 17:59

8 from me, same as last week. It was a very good race with a great mixed bag of results. Two different winners, one of which was totally unexpected is just going to make crunch time in this season even better than we thought.

Can’t wait to see what China will bring us.

5. Hairpin (@hairpin) said on 25th March 2012, 18:08

I wonder what those ppl who gave Australia a 10 gave this race, 11 or 12 I suppose? Maybe they didn’t think it was a better race or maybe they just didn’t think full stop.

6. Hairpin (@hairpin) said on 25th March 2012, 18:12

Is anyone else having probs connecting with this site it’s really slow today and has been for a while, but other sites seem ok?

7. F1FerrariFan1 (@f1ferrarifan1) said on 25th March 2012, 18:39

9/10 Really a fantastic race, love to see Alonso and Ferrari win, but I really wish they hadn’t called out the SC. I saw another comment a few weeks ago saying that inters and full wets are becoming obsolete and this is just more evidence to support that.

8. Jack said on 25th March 2012, 19:02

I rate it a 10!! Master drive by the podium finishers!! It sucked seeing Schumi get hit by Grosjean!
    At least Button was a MAN and had the b@lls to accept his mistake…. I´m sorry I can´t say the same for another certain someone which called Karthikeyan an Idiot and said he shouldn´t be in F1… The nerve on that guy!! Seriously…. Who the heck does he think he is saying some dumb poo like that?? I think he must´ve confused the HRT with the Toro Rosso… Seriously… what an attitude… Oh, BTW that´s 1-1 against Webber and Webber didn´t make mistakes!
    It´s a shame Perez made that mistake… We would´ve had an epic battle at the end! I must say I wish they would swap drivers NOW with Sauber… Let Massa go back to Sauber and call Perez up to Ferrari!
    All in all a great race!! AVANTI FER!!!! AVANTI!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Joseph94 (@joseph94) said on 25th March 2012, 20:53

Something needs to be sorted out about the length of the DRS zone/s at circuits !. The DRS is for me personally, spoiling the races because it is too effective. Why can’t they just make the DRS zone/s shorter ?. Why can’t the FIA see that the DRS is too effective!, at more than 80% of the circuits, it’s getting ridiculous. Gave the race an 8/10.

10. Mariano (@mariano) said on 25th March 2012, 20:56

Although Perez provided us with a marvelous performance, lets not forget that Alonso again had a very good start and drove flawlessly through out the entire race. Button’s incident was very disappointing as I was looking forward to see a nice battle between him and Hamilton. Happy to see Kimi back in good shape. 8/10

11. Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 25th March 2012, 20:57

I thought this was a great race, and just goes that show that the F1 field can be blown right open by the weather.

Alonso did an amazing job in the red pony, to bring it home and hold off Perez. However twice now, we’ve seen him using KERS to hold off a challenger… one a Williams, one a Sauber… that says something about the Ferrari for me. Massa’s pace is where the Ferrari is at, without Monobrow at the wheel. The ego massaging on the radio after the win was appallingly bad!

I take nothing from Hammy, with a solid, if uninspiring 3rd. Man of the race, Perez. I was a bit upset by the ‘don’t **** off the engine supplier’ call, but that’s how Ferrari work I’m afriad. It’s a free market economy, but Ferrari know where they’re at. Disappointed by Button (my man). He should know better… and does! 8/10 more of the same please.

12. Fixy (@fixy) said on 25th March 2012, 21:13

Perez was really, really, really perfect, apart from the mistake at the end of the race… and he was unlucky. I knew he’d have jumped everyone pitting early, and when the red flag was shown I wished the race was definitively stopped: Perez P3, Karthikeyan P10. Then luckily it wasn’t, as Checo was even faster as the track dried out…
    Not once, not twice but thrice did he eat away Alonso’s 5-second lead. The first time, then the second time after pitting one lap later than the Spaniard and then again after making his only mistake.
    But when you have this year’s Ferrari and Sauber in the first two positions, it can only mean the race was all but boring.
    What a great race. A deserved 9/10. I’d have given it 10 probably if Perez had won, as I was focussed only on the leading drivers, but I think the race at the back didn’t deserve a 10/10.

• Enigma (@enigma) said on 25th March 2012, 21:19

@fixy I expected he would have similar fate to Kobayashi in Canada last year, as he was 2nd before the red flag. I thought he’d lose a few places but still score some strong points, but he went upwards! A big shame he didn’t win, it would have been a perfect story for formula one.

Still a fantastic result. I love him at Sauber – I just hope that if and when he goes to Ferrari, he’s not the second driver there.

13. mantolwen (@mantolwen) said on 25th March 2012, 21:40

Almost perfect. Vettel’s attitude annoys me – whether or not he was in the right, he should not act like that – and I was disappointed by Kovalainen. However, these things are almost completely swamped by the amazing pace of Sergio Perez that had me desperately watching live timing whilst listening to 5 live. I went absolutely crazy when they were on slicks before Perez’s mistake and live timing froze! It must have been about 20 laps the chase went on for and it was brilliant! We saw sparks of what Perez can do last year, even from Melbourne, and this year his ability has been proven. Cannot wait to see him win his first race. Hope it’s this year!

14. Michaela (@michaela6) said on 25th March 2012, 21:56

9/10
    Really great race, unexpected podium finishers.
    Always nice to watch Alonso, great work with this car and have to say I didn´t believe even hi can do that so early in the season, talent of this guy is always surprise for me. It´s just terrifying how big is gap between him and Massa from race to race.
    What a great race from Perez, few laps before the end I wish he would win, what would it be for him to beat one like Alonso. Even though Sauber looks pretty good, who knows when will be next chance like this.
    Maybe it´s just me but I still feel like something is holding Hamilton from performing his best or it´s just these little unfortunate things that are happening in Mclaren ?
    And then there are these 2 stupid accidents with Karthikeyan. I hate it so much when top drivers are out of the fight after situations like these. I would be angry if Button and Vettel retired after touching each other but much more satisfied in the same time because they´s be fighting for something. Don´t wanna judge whose fault was it as I might be slightly biased as a Vettel-fan but I honestly think HRT isn´t bringing any good for F1. I know they are in 107% rule but it´s been little too much from them even in FP in 2 races. I could bear them if they were starting team for rookies but De la Rossa didn´t even get off the grid for installation lap and then a team member on the grid! Where are we?!
    And wouldn´t take Vettel´s words that hard, there´s been much worse in past and at least it´s his own, not PR stuff.
    All in all really enjoyed it but not happy with all the results :)

15. Pelican (@pelican) said on 25th March 2012, 22:40

I was stuck between 9 and 10–I’d have loved to see Perez win the race. But he and Alonso were fairly evenly matched in the corners, so Perez would probably have passed on the DRS straight and what’s the fun in that? Anyway, the race kept me awake and enthralled from 3 to 6 in the morning, I’ve had a blinding headache and no regrets all day. So it gets a 10.