Rate the race: 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix

2012 Malaysian Grand Prix

What did you think of the Malaysian Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (1%)
  • 5 (1%)
  • 6 (3%)
  • 7 (9%)
  • 8 (26%)
  • 9 (40%)
  • 10 (19%)

Total Voters: 905

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

210 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix

1. SimBri (@f1addict) said on 25th March 2012, 22:40

9 for me, really enjoyed it. Some disappointments (Jenson, Romain, Michael), but also some nice surprises (Sergio, Bruno). Would have been a 10 but I’m hopeful we’ll have an even better race later in the season!

I wasn’t that excited about Kimi coming back but now I’m really pleased he has, he’s really adding something. Was beginning to warm to Vettel but he showed a real lack of class today.

2. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 25th March 2012, 23:22

I gave an 8. I was thouruoghly entertained.
    But the safetycar and red flag spoiled it a bit. I think the timing is wrong, this race should be moved to an earlier time again.
    However, maybe I should’ve only subtracted one point for that, because we did have sort of à battle for the lead. Then again, there was no real overtaking attempt from Perez. Let’s say 8,5 then.

3. BS (@bs) said on 26th March 2012, 0:22

10 from me (very neutral viewer, don’t root for any team/driver), something I’ve never done, but I’ve never been so excited during a race (watching since 2008). Apart from a huge amount of quality action on track – Perez had be on the edge of my seat during both stints he was reeling in Alonso – up until he made his one error on lap 50, that was gut wrenching. Alonso showing Perez how any mistake is one too many when playing at the front, and driving a fantastic race for Ferrari that so badly needed some good win.

Great podium. Perez giving props to Alonso in the BBC interview, Hamilton acknowledging the quality of their drives. Best F1 race I’ve yet watched.

4. sic_j02 said on 26th March 2012, 1:06

10 for me. Nobody expected alo to be infront followed by perez. I may agree with others here, perez could have won given he has faster car however he made mistakes and alo did the opposite hence his team messaged him not to make silly moves. Perez was the happiest person on the podium so I gave it 10.

5. JustinF1 (@justinf1) said on 26th March 2012, 1:25

Congratulations to Checo Pérez !! what strategy and what another fantastic run! Move over Massa,.

6. 10 for me…love sergio perez playing catchup with alonso….he was so fast till that dumb engineer spoiled his momentum

7. troutcor said on 26th March 2012, 5:26

This being by and large a McLaren/Button fansite, I am not surprised by the sour grapes. But for those saying McLaren or Perez lost, rather than Fernando won, I ask you one simple question: What has happened to BOTH of the “faster” drivers who attempted to get by Alonso in the first two races of the year? Alonso has kept his slower car on the track and in the lead. For all of those people here who have taken every chance to takes digs at Alonso, this one was for you.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 26th March 2012, 8:16

This being by and large a McLaren/Button fansite

Complete rubbish. This is a Formula 1 website for all F1 fans, regardless of who they support.

I am not surprised by the sour grapes

What sour grapes? At the moment 85% of people have given it eight out of ten or higher.

8. Valdir said on 26th March 2012, 7:15

I gave the race a 9/10 for two reason, even though I can
    1. There was a diferent driver in the podium Sergio Perez drove brilliantly other than the usual.
    2. I was really happy seeing Webber pushing hard to beat Vettel, I really enjoyed it.

Outstanding race from Alonso and I hope this will change Ferrari fortune for the next races.

9. m (@txips) said on 26th March 2012, 7:38

I haven’t been that emotionally invested in a sporting event in a long time. I desperately wanted Checo to pull through and felt extremely disappointed with the end result. Although, an Italian team winning on the track Super Sic passed away on just a few months ago does seem appropriate.
    I do not believe in the conspiracy theories over the “we need this position” call but I felt sick the second it was played on tv. There are unwritten rules in sports when dealing with an athlete doing that well, driving/playing totally unconscious and the top thing on that list is DON’T JINX THEM. Obviously sporting behavior is rare in F1 but to say something that stupid to your own teammate in the dying minutes of the game is beyond comprehension.

10. I am sorry, but I really can’t see why this race got so high ratings. For me it is a 7 out of ten.

The first eight laps, before the red flag, where very, very entertaining. Everyone was struggling for grip, the visibility was poor. Nail-biting stuff to see how everyone copes with the downpour.

I was hoping that after the restart we’d get to see a great recovery drive from someone, or a real challenge in the top of the field… Yes, Perez was sublime until his blunder with just under 5 or 6 laps to go, and kudos to Senna, who really made a tremendous drive and was probably the most interesting person on track for me, but other than that we didn’t get to see that much nerve-wrecking action (I really am not a DRS-cruise-by fan). Rosberg slipped quickly off the pace and the top 7 never looked like challenging each other, excluding Perez and Alonso.

I am not saying that I wasn’t entertained, but the wet Sepang really didn’t live up to my expectations this year.

11. Adrian (@adrian_debian) said on 26th March 2012, 9:30

I gave it a 8/10, that’s just because i didn’t like the chaos generated by the rain and because we didn’t saw a duel between sergio and fernando.

But there where some individual performances that shined:
    1. Fernando was again amazing, he ushed the car to 110%, extreme performance to keep everything in line.
    2. Sergio Perez had a fantastic race, but im not as sure as others that it would have been that easy to just pass Alonso, even if it had a better pace.
    3. Good qual for Hamilton, some bad luck for race, but at least he seems to keep it cool.
    4. Vettel was disappointing, he should apologize immediately for his comment on NK, if other pilots (ie: Massa/Ham last year) started to go off like that at every incident they would have ended up fighting at the end of the year. He should learn that not everything is about him and in racing a lot of stuff can happen no matter how hard you try. I suppose in his place Button or Schumi should start trowing punches.

12. topdowntoedown (@topdowntoedown) said on 26th March 2012, 11:08

Clearly I’m alone in this, but I thought the race was a bit dull. Considering the weather – wet and then drying – is the sort that usually produces fantastic action (Hungary last year?), it all went a bit samey.

When it rained the pack was shuffled as you’d expect, Alonso and Perez ended up at the front due to a couple of errors by other runners. So far so good. But they might as well have parked up then. Cars that were put out of position largely didn’t fight back up through the field, drivers who could have got historic results didn’t, and overall it just felt like everyone was just cruising around to the finish trying not to fall off the track.

Yawn.

13. AlexNK said on 26th March 2012, 12:09

I would rate this race as 8, there was some craziness for sure under the rain, which often makes F1 more of a lottery than a sport, still there were some great performances from underdogs and a great suspense towards the end, only to end a bit too soon with Sergio’s error.

I do not rate, however, the decisions made by Race Control very highly. Perhaps, the race did need to be stopped, but it could have been resumed sooner. Safety car definitely stayed out for too long. All this quest for safety almost negates the need for a proper wet rubber, as well as robs us of some great drives of those who can master such conditions. Sepang is no Monaco and does not punish off-road excursions too severely. On a safe track they must allow drivers to race with full wets; as it is it’s a tyre for SC-period only.

Now, I do realize that Vettel has very few fans here, but seriously! You have to ease off with the bias here. When Mark speaks his mind being rather harsh – he’s an honest and no-******** guy, when Lewis calls stewards names – it is ok, but when Seb tells it how it is – he’s a tantrum-prone monster! Perhaps, he should’ve done without an ‘idiot’ word, but Narain was clearly in the wrong (unlike vs Button, where Jenson was a culprit). He made rather stupid error and was justly penalized by the stewards. He may be a nice guy and great person, but he does tend to block a lot of people when on track and often seems unaware of what’s around.

In the post-race interviews, Coulthard was particularly appaling. When talking to Narain he claimed that he thought Narain did nothing wrong (no less!). Then, when Horner argued that NK was 7 secs per lap slower and it was his responsibility to get out of the way (though I would say it would’ve been enough for him not to move to the right) and told Coulthard that he of all people should back him on this, because in his time DK was one of the most avid complainers about the backmarkers, David momentarily steered off the incident with Vettel towards the one involving Button. Such a sad lack of honesty.

14. Win7Golf (@win7golf) said on 26th March 2012, 20:44

Second race of the season, first FERARI dirty underground maneuver…

Sergio Perez should have won this race! Everybody who is not an Italian Ferrari fanatic stood still with the mouth opened, with Sauber told Perez to stand down – every commentator – Portuguese, English, German…

Everybody remembered Ferrari connections to Sauber… Engines and more… Perez is a Ferrari Academy driver… Remember Fisichella in Force India at SPA – could take Raikkonen in Ferrari, but was told to stay down, next race, was replacing Massa with no success, might I had – the cars Ferrari build can only be driven by handicapped drivers… We see changes in other teams and no problem – Ferrari that year had Massa, Badoer, Fisichella… and whatever…

Really, this is a joke… to see that guy at first place in the drivers’ championship, but of course at the constructor’s championship, not even with everything handed out to them, could they be first, because at Ferrari, since the times of Berger/Alesi partnership, there’s one is one ‘real’ driver for season… and the other guy (the other guy – has included drivers as Morbidelli, Salo, Irvine, Barrichello, Massa…)

I’m but worried a bit about Perez (which I think is and will be even more, a great driver) switch Sauber by Ferrari, because Alonso’s contract has there written somewhere that he will be the only ‘real’ driver in the team and that the team and the second driver will work for him.

When Perez moves to Ferrari, will be to REPLACE Alonso, NOT he his PARTNER…

GO KIMI, GO JENSON, GO LEWIS, GO BRUNO !!!!

15. darkenforca (@darkenforca) said on 27th March 2012, 12:50

Great race, Something that got into my head during the race is that I was watching shades of Monaco 84, Perez is not the next Senna, no-one can be the next Senna but to see a rookie drive a mid-feild car like that to a podium was absolutely fantastic.