Malaysian Grand Prix Predictions Championship results

Predictions Championship

Sergio Perez, Fernando Alonso, Sepang, 2012A surprise result in the Malaysian Grand Prix meant a low-scoring round for the Predictions Championship.

We had a seven-way tie for first place with each player scoring 17 points. The pole position time tie-breaker was used to select who won the top two prizes.

Abreeden’s prediction was just 0.110s away so they win a 1971 Autocourse eBook! The runner-up prize, an F1 poster from PJ Tierney, goes to Chelseano161997.

The other five top scorers for this round were Westpole, Stryker, Rach, Bisutommy79 and Adamtys.

The result puts Carpy3 in the championship lead by a point for Chrissylyn. One of this week’s top scorers Bisutommy79 is tied for third with Mazzaf1.

Lewis Hamilton was by far your favourite to take pole position – 78.6% of you picked him and he didn’t disappoint.

Out of the 1,268 entrants this week, just two picked Fernando Alonso to win the race: Middelboe and Davidfaekillie. Hamilton was the favourite here too, picked by 54.8% of you.

Nobody picked Sergio Perez to finish second – in fact, he only got nominated to finish in the top five by seven people, and all of them put him fifth.

The top eight predictions are listed below, and you can view the points standings in full here.

You can enter your picks for the Chinese Grand Prix and every other round of the Predictions Championship below. Remember you can edit your prediction for a race at any time up until the start of qualifying:

F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship 2012 - Malaysia

PlayerPole TimePole1.2.3.4.5.Points
westpole01:35.900 BUTBUTVETHAMWEBRAI17
Chelseano16199701:35.934 BUTVETBUTHAMWEBRAI17
abreeden01:36.109 VETVETBUTHAMWEBRAI17
stryker01:35.876 BUTBUTVETHAMWEBRAI17
rach01:36.592 VETVETBUTHAMWEBRAI17
bisutommy7901:36.550 ROSVETBUTHAMWEBRAI17
adamtys01:35.129 ROSBUTVETHAMWEBRAI17
gresty01:35.200 HAMHAMALOBUTWEBRAI13

View the full Predictions Championship standings and statistics here:

2012 F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship overall prizes

Grand prize: Two grandstands tickets to the 2013 British Grand Prix

The person who scores the most points over the whole season will win two grandstand tickets to the 2013 British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

The grand prize winner will receive tickets to all three days of the event with reserved seating for the race.

Car-a-Day painting by Rob Ijbema

Second place prize: An F1 painting of your choice

The second place finisher will win a Formula 1 painting by Rob Ijbema.

You get to choose which F1 driver, present or past, will feature in the painting.

Or you can pick one of the other motor racing paintings on Rob’s site:

Racecar Engineering

Runner-up prize: Racecar Engineering subscriptions

The five players with the next highest scores (positions three to seven) will each win a year’s subscription to Racecar Engineering magazine.

Racecar Engineering is the world?s leading motorsport technology magazine. Every issue is packed with in-depth features, interviews and analysis from Formula One, Le Mans and all forms racing and rallying.

Runner-up prize: Autocourse calendars

The five players with the next highest scores (positions eight to 12) will each win a 2013 Autocourse calendar.

The Autocourse Grand Prix calendar contains images taken during the season of all the major players competing in the Formula One World Championship.

The images are high resolution and taken by one of the world’s leading Grand Prix photographers, the calendar is printed on art quality paper and comes with a stiffened backing board and shrink wrapped for protection.

More prizes to be announced

Further prizes will be announced during the season.

2012 F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship race prizes

1971 Autocourse ebook

Race winner’s prize: Autocourse eBooks

The highest scorer in each race will win an Autocourse eBook. The 1971 edition will be the first prize up for grabs.

The Autocourse eBooks are faithful reproductions of the original annuals in digital form. The colour, clarity of images and text have been improved to modern standards, but the content remains in original format.

Autocourse has become the definitive record of Formula One racing the world over and early editions are collector?s items, which regularly trade for hundreds of pounds.

• The 1971 Autocourse eBook is available from www.autocourse.com for ??19.99 with free postage/packing to UK customers.

Runner-up prize: F1 posters by PJ Tierney

The second-placed player in each race will win one of PJ Tierney’s excellent unofficial Formula 1 posters.

You can view PJ’s posters along with his other work on his website:

Image ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

41 comments on Malaysian Grand Prix Predictions Championship results

1. Puffy (@puffy) said on 27th March 2012, 15:33

@keithcollantine The standings linked to in the article say 2012 but I suspect it’s actually pulling up 2010 standings.

2. necrodethmortem (@necrodethmortem) said on 27th March 2012, 15:40

Argh, had I put RAI on 5th, instead of MSC, I would’ve won it. I had the pole correct and HAM and WEB in 3rd and 4th.

I really thought the Mercs would’ve improved their race pace. Oh well…

• Hare (@hare) said on 27th March 2012, 20:03

I chose the right car, but the wrong driver. My pole times so far are .150 =/-, which is pretty darn good I think. However, you don’t seem to get a lot of points for pole time. I’m 14th though. I think the people that lucked in for the first race will eventually whittle down, while the more consistant will float to the top.

It’s a good little competition. Though it’s a bit of a long wait to get the results. :)

• Mike (@mike) said on 27th March 2012, 23:47

From memory you don’t get any points at all for pole time.
        I thinks it’s used in the event of a tie. For example above, Westpoles pole time was closest.

• Hare (@hare) said on 28th March 2012, 5:52

I checked the rules, you’re right of course. :)

Pole time is for tie breakers, which is disappointing for me, but suits the structure of the competition. I now understand my points tally.

• Jay_au (@jay) said on 28th March 2012, 9:56

I feel your pain @Hare. Predicted Hamilton on pole with a time of 1:36:221, only two thousandths of a second off. Then only got four points for the weekend!

I Guess I’m a bit like Hamilton so far, only getting the results on Saturdays.

3. Jake (@jleigh) said on 27th March 2012, 16:07

Well, my first real attempt at the predictions championship isn’t going well. A total of 9 points so far!

4. ZanteX (@zantex) said on 27th March 2012, 16:19

Congratulations to the winners of the first two rounds, good job! :)

After a good 2010 season with a constant rate of development, and a dismal 2011 season, this is a very good start for me, equalling my highest score from Hungary 2010 with 29 points. Looking forward to the season ahead. :)

5. disjunto (@disjunto) said on 27th March 2012, 16:28

you know how I said I was trying this time? Yeah, I was trying to get the worst result I’ve ever received, did quite well I think, all of 3 points (surprised I got any tbh)

6. Slr (@slr) said on 27th March 2012, 16:45

A low scoring round in the predictions championship is always good for the sport in terms of unpredictability. :D

7. Mustalainen (@mustalainen) said on 27th March 2012, 16:55

2 points in this round, well that’s a new low! Down in 883 place with some other magnificent people :D. Had Rosberg for pole and for a fourth place and that didn’t happen. I think I’ll have to give up on Mercedes soon because of their atrocious race pace…

• Bigbadderboom said on 29th March 2012, 10:10

I’m joining you down there (883), I am fantastically poor at these predictions, have been since the beginning!! But I will continue, never know might fluke a round win!!

8. McLarenFanJamm (@mclarenfanjamm) said on 27th March 2012, 16:57

Joint 153rd, not bad :)

9. krtekf1 (@krtekf1) said on 27th March 2012, 18:00

Happy with 37 points in two rounds ;). But I don`t really understand, how the points are delivered. In previous round I made only mistake with Rosberg in position 5 instead of Alonso and missed the Pole lap time by 0,117s. I got 31 points for that prediction.

10. pejte (@pejte) said on 27th March 2012, 18:01

I’m tied for 9th place. Epic :)

11. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 27th March 2012, 18:06

ouch .. just got 4 points :(

12. JCF1 (@jcf1) said on 27th March 2012, 19:12

Is there a trick to this that i’m missing? I got 7 again! Total of 14 and i am trying this year. :)

13. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 27th March 2012, 19:16

The predictable part of the weekend I got right; Hamilton on pole and even my predicted time was within a tenth (although I can’t remember my exact prediction anymore – can I review it anywhere?). For the race, just two points, though, for having Webber and Hamilton in the top 5.

What I found funny about the prediction of the position of Perez is that, even during the red flag situation, not many people fancied his chances of ending on the podium. I remember Keith asking where people thought Perez would end up (on F1FLive), and most people, me included, were expecting some sort of repeat of Canada, where Kobayashi was very high up during the red flag (2nd?), but steadily dropped back during the race. However, Perez being the fastest man on the track was a complete shock to me, especially since he was still the fastest when the track was almost completely dry. That, compared with the relatively disappointing dry pace of the McLarens, might make for a tough prediction season :-) ! Anyone daring to go for a Raikkonen win in China?

14. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 27th March 2012, 19:22

1533.
    I Will continue to vote for what I want, although I’ll leave Mercedes out of the equation for next race…

15. carbon_fibre (@carbon_fibre) said on 27th March 2012, 20:46

11 points for me. Very good, considering the unpredictable result!