Karthikeyan hits back at “crybaby” Vettel

F1 Fanatic round-up

Narain Karthikeyan, HRT, Melbourne, 2012In the round-up: Narain Karthikeyan says Sebastian Vettel’s criticism of him was “really unprofessional”.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Don’t be a cry baby, Karthikeyan tells Vettel (The Times of India)

“For a world champion to say things like that is really shameful. It is really unprofessional. For a driver who has achieved so much to take out his frustrations on me just because he is having a difficult year is really sad. One does not expect a professional sportsman to be such a cry baby.”

Crash suggests Vettel is under pressure (BBC)

“One leading F1 figure told me: “‘It was completely Vettel’s fault – he needed to give Karthikeyan more space. He only had to clear the last inch and he cut across the front of him. He was showing a bit of frustration and it bit him.'”

Petrov blames Vettel for Karthikeyan incident (GP Update)

“Karthikeyan didn?t do anything unnecessary – didn?t hit him, didn?t change direction sharply. Sebastian overtook him and started to turn. But Narain was going straight.”

On Bahrain (The Buxton Blog)

“There is an allocated media hotel and media shuttles have been laid on. I will be avoiding both. It?s just too much of an obvious target for those wishing to get their message across to an international audience.”

Bahrain and Formula 1 (Joe Saward)

“It is just a shame that the final doubts about the place were not swept away with invitations to the event for Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, the two major human rights organisations in the world. If they had come to the party and said that all was well, then no-one would have any worries.”

Alan Baldwin via Twitter

“French PM Francois Fillon is visiting Le Castellet tomorrow. Le Parisien newspaper says he will announce deal done for French GP in 2013.”

Yas chief hopes Abu Dhabi remains host of F1 Young Drivers Test (The National)

“We would obviously be disappointed if Abu Dhabi didn’t host the Young Drivers’ Test because it has become a part of our season, but I can understand the teams’ concerns.”

Gary Anderson?s review of the F1 teams after two races (BBC)

“In the last two years, Red Bull’s big benefit was in having a car on which they did not have to do much work at a race meeting. But in Malaysia, for the first time ever, I saw them changing torsion bars, roll-bars, ride heights and so on.”

Tony Fernandes Q&A: Caterham can join the midfield (F1)

“The goal for mid-season is the same as it is for the whole year ahead. We know what is achievable, and breaking into the midfield is a huge challenge, so the reasonable target is tenth again.”

Red Alert (Grand Prix)

“The most pertinent question was why he had gone off. Which brings us back to the radio message; a pretty dumb call, if ever I heard one. Apart from presupposing Perez hadn’t worked out the implications of a DNF for this little team, history shows that asking a F1 driver to slow down is like suddenly discussing the weekend’s shopping while having sex. Or, so I would imagine.”

I know I can count on a second family (Ferrari)

“It’s the not the first time I’ve gone through a difficult moment like this and I know well that things can change quickly, but now is the moment to do my utmost because I want this negative period to come to an end.”

Shear Power ?ǣ Chassis E20-01 Returns to Base (Lotus)

“The chassis we have back here now is Romain?s car from Malaysia, chassis E20-01. We didn?t originally intend to bring this car back, but after the events of Sepang and the damage incurred it made sense bring it back for repairs as well as getting everything else we need done.”

Formula One Star Lewis Hamilton travels to Manila for Soccer Aid 2012 (McLaren)

“Lewis Hamilton spent two days this week in Manila with UNICEF, the world?s leading children?s organisation, making a short film about street children that will be shown during Soccer Aid on May 27th 2012, on ITV 1.”

Comment of the day

Much praise for the efforts of marshals from several readers yesterday, including this from TimG:

We seldom hear much about it, but motor racing at every level is completely dependent on the time and goodwill of volunteers who perform a range of essential tasks, mostly without payment or acknowledgement. Having been involved in grass roots-level motorsport in the UK, you really get to appreciate the efforts of the dedicated and highly skilled people who give up their time ?ǣ and often take similar risks to the drivers and pit crew ?ǣ to make the sport work properly. It?s easy to criticise officialdom at motor races, but doing the job is incredibly difficult to get right all the time ?ǣ and most of the time they do get it right.

I’m not surprised that (most) teams are grateful for having their cars brought back safely. I have vivid memories from years ago, when I was working on a Formula Ford at Castle Combe, of the marshal who took the time and trouble to return a body panel that had come off on the far side of the circuit after contact. Above and beyond, really.
TimG

From the forum

Site updates

Several updates were applied to the site yesterday to correct faults and improve performance. See here for details.

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Lee!

On this day in F1

There’s much discussion about the arrival of Sky as an F1 broadcaster this year. Three years ago we were discussing the return of the BBC to F1.

228 comments on Karthikeyan hits back at “crybaby” Vettel

1 2 3 4
  1. sam3110 (@sam3110) said on 30th March 2012, 0:07

I’m glad that Narain has stood up for himself here, and that other drivers are also doing so, as I think it was 100% Vettels fault. Narain didn’t move his car, he had no need to, and Vettel cut across and ran over his front wing, puncturing his own tyre, if it was Hamilton last season instead of Vettel, I wonder who would have got the penalty?

• F1fanNL (@) said on 30th March 2012, 1:00

Clearly, you haven’t seen the footage all that well.

• Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 30th March 2012, 1:06

Correct. 100% Karthikeyan’s fault. The fact that he has the audacity to call it a “racing incident” astounds me. Vettel overreacted, that’s for certain, but it was for a good reason.

• Mopatop (@mopatop) said on 30th March 2012, 1:10

I agree. From behind it looks 50/50 but from the front it’s 100% Karthikeyan. He tried to go for the slipstream too soon, simple as.

• James (@goodyear92) said on 30th March 2012, 1:16

Yeah I hadn’t seen the head-on shot on tv and concluded it was Vettel’s fault, but after watching it, it’s clear it was Narain at fault.

• John H (@john-h) said on 30th March 2012, 9:17

For what its worth, I did exactly the same thing. I initially thought it was Vettel and then after seeing it from the other angle it’s clear that NK weaves to try and get into the slip stream and misjudges it.

However, it doesn’t excuse Vettel’s comments in the slightest (calling other drivers idiots) and I’m pleased NK has had a go back at him. I don’t remember Jenson calling Vettel ‘an idiot’ after he misjudged his passing move at Spa in 2010.

• vho (@) said on 30th March 2012, 17:34

@mopatop If you look at the car in front of both of them you’ll see the racing line. Then compare that to the trajectory of Narain’s car on the road. It seemed to me that Narain was following the racing line rather than purposely cutting to the right.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 30th March 2012, 1:32

It would appear that which camera shot you chose to believe is correct decides which driver you feel was at fault, I think only an overhead shot would be definitive but am prepared to accept that the stewards had the most information despite what my eyes and the Sky commentary team told me.

• infy (@infy) said on 30th March 2012, 7:44

If you look at those gifs its clear that he was only very slightly further inwards. If Vettel had given more room it would not have happened.

• Horacio said on 30th March 2012, 8:33

After a lot of scientific research and data analysis, I reached the conclusion that Vettel’s fault in that incident mounts up to 51,23%, with indicates that he just needs to calm down.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 30th March 2012, 3:00

I also thought it was 100% Vettel’s fault initially. The footage from the back of the cars show Vettel turning left, into Karthikeyan. But once you look it from the front, it totally changes… it was 50/50 and maybe NK is more at fault…

It’s true that Vettel should’ve been more careful, specially with the conditions of the track, but Narain was the one behind, so he should’ve backed off. I know what people are gonna say: “if he’s a WDC, he should be able to overtake without problems”, but even so, it was Karthikeyan’s who should’ve avoided contact.

It’s nice he stood up for himself, though, because Vettel’s reaction was just stupid… but that highlights RBR’s and Vettel’s frustrations.

• Alfisti37 (@alfisti37) said on 30th March 2012, 8:46

Things happened did happen, and the penalty was given. It is 50/50 to say who should bear responsibility, and it depends on how the blue-flag rule is interpreted and how balanced are the rights of the lapping and the lapped drivers.

But no matter whose fault it was and how the rules are interpreted, it is completely unacceptable for Vettel to insult Karthikeyan. NK now has every right to criticize Vettel back.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 30th March 2012, 9:07

The stewards’ penalising Karthikeyan creates an impression that they thought he was entirely to blame, which I don’t agree with.

But what strikes me most about the incident is how unnecessary it was for both parties.

Vettel had no need to move back across the front of Karthikeyan as sharply as he did. The racing line was coming back towards him anyway. The prudent move would have been to give the backmarker some space and the way he did it suggests irritation at being briefly delayed while he was chasing down Hamilton. That momentary loss of cool cost him 12 points, maybe 15.

Equally, Karthikeyan had been slow through the previous corner and should have exercised a bit more caution as Vettel was coming past him.

Ultimately, here we have two professional racing drivers who were in two different races on the same track and both should have had the sense to avoid a collision.

Vettel’s reaction was not too clever and the smart thing for him to do now would be to back down. A world champion having a public row with a driver who failed to qualify for the first race? That doesn’t reflect well on him.

It’s a timely reminder, after his dominance last year, that he can feel the pressure as much as any other driver when things aren’t going his way.

• Optimaximal said on 30th March 2012, 9:20

I’d say he feels it more… or at least doesn’t deal with it as well.

• Havergal said on 30th March 2012, 9:22

I agree. I think the worst thing about it was Vettel calling a fellow driver “some idiot”. It’s hugely disrespectful and just underscores my feeling that however brilliant a driver he is, I’ll struggle to like him as long as he’s such a bad loser.

• If he carries on like this, he’ll have himself a ‘Hamilton year’.

• george said on 30th March 2012, 9:33

If you look at the videos you can see that Narain is looking in his left mirror and not in front where Sebastian was.

100% Narains fault

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 30th March 2012, 10:02

I watched the video again several times before writing that last comment. I don’t think this is sufficient to lay all the blame at Karthikeyan’s feet, for the reasons I’ve explained above.

• Jeanrien (@jeanrien) said on 30th March 2012, 11:47

And the blue flag rule mentions you might not hold an uncoming racer, but it doesn’t mention you have to let him the best possible line … And Vettel is sticking pretty much to his trajectory.
          Indeed Narai is involved and played his role, but if you look through his race, it was probably one of his best with a top ten on track for a while (it didn’t last very much but maybe putt him in a state of fighting a bit more intense … that could explain a bit)

After, okay a lapped driver should let the other pass him but we can see how unfair that could be while some are blocked longer than other depending on where it happens on track. Okay Vettel payed the full price but he searched it a bit, as did Button finally

• artificial racer said on 30th March 2012, 17:22

Absolutely right… he’s clearly looking off to his left for some reason, maybe to make sure he stays off the kerb. He’s following the racing line without any regard for Vettel’s car.

• vho (@) said on 30th March 2012, 17:42

@george Looking at the trajectory of the 3 cars other than Vettel’s in that video link, it seems that Vettel’s car is the odd one out, meaning Vettel’s line was completely different to the other 3 on the video. This concludes to me that the other 3 cars (including Narain’s) were actually on the racing line and that Vettel was making his move towards the racing line. Using the racing line as the guide for the normal path for all cars, you’d expect that anyone making the overtaking move needs to ensure they have cleared the car behind them before moving onto the racing line.

• artificial racer said on 30th March 2012, 18:19

@vho Narain is following the racing line, but a) he’s not looking where he’s going and b) he’s not fighting for position and is obligated to avoid the car in front. Vettel is feeding onto the racing line. Narain has room.

This wasn’t Narain being racy. He would not want to hit Vettel and he could easily have avoided that. He admitted himself that he made a mistake so I don’t know why this is still being debated. It’s at least 75% Narain’s fault.

• george said on 30th March 2012, 18:50

So you would agree that Narain was not bullied off the track which Narain describes as Vettel already gave him the racing line and more as the video shows. If Narain was looking in front he would of seen that Vettel was already in front.

How kind young Vettel was, giving a back runner the racing line while he went on the marbles and damp track to make sure Narain’s race didn’t suffer even if he was catching Lewis for 3rd.

Next time Vettel should just drive him off the track and show him what real bullying on a track is like.

• vho (@) said on 31st March 2012, 7:26

@george It also depends on how much throttle Narain had at the time Vettel appeared in front of his car. In the replay it also showed that both Vettel and Narain were exiting the corner at the same time – which also meant that Vettel’s approach to the back marker was mid corner rather than before the corner. Even in blue flag situations if the back marker was already committed mid way to the corner you couldn’t reasonably expect them to back-off mid corner and potentially cause a bigger accident. A prudent racer would wait for the back marker to complete the corner before overtaking when it was safe to do so. The replay also showed that Vettel was on the throttle early as his rear stepped out as he powerslid out of the corner, thus potentially losing acceleration, and compared to Narain who’d seemed to have a better exit. Nevertheless, Narain would have had to back off to allow Vettel to get through, but didn’t expect him to comeback to the racing line so quickly. Also in the replay, it seems Vettel was already committing to overtaking the Marussia (?) in front and was looking to take the inside line to the next corner and thus had to cross back over to the otherside of the racing line. IMO Vettel thought he’d cleared the HRT and was readying himself for the inside line for the very next corner and hadn’t taken enough precaution.

• George (@george) said on 31st March 2012, 13:40

@vho I should probably mention the guy you’re replying to isn’t me (he’s unregistered so I get all those @’s). I do agree with him though so not a big deal ;)

• mfDB (@mfdb) said on 30th March 2012, 19:42

I disagree with being glad that Narain stuck up for himself, or at least with the way he did it. With whose fault the crash is aside, 2 wrongs don’t make a right and him calling Vettel a crybaby is actually him just being a crybaby. He could have taken the high road and stuck up for himself by saying that he didn’t think he was a fault…not name calling a name caller… With that said, Vettel should have known better as well.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 30th March 2012, 23:57

Agreed. Neither one of them is behaving as a role model. It is certainly shameful for a world champion to be calling a backmarker an idiot, but it’s just as shameful for a backmarker to be calling a world champion a crybaby. They both need to grow up, and apologize to each other and to the fans they’ve let down.

2. squaregoldfish (@squaregoldfish) said on 30th March 2012, 0:09

Interesting side note on HRT in Gary Anderson’s piece:

Pedro de la Rosa was not only within the mark needed to qualify in Malaysia – which is to be within 107% of the fastest time in the first part of qualifying – but he was also within 107% of the actual pole time. Which has never happened before.

It’s a long and slow road, but it’s good to see they’re not going backwards.

• nefor (@nefor) said on 30th March 2012, 0:46

I would expect the EBD ban has been the primary factor in that. It’s evident in how the teams are much closer this year all through the field. Still an interesting point. One which shows that the EBD ban was good for the sport in the sense of removing a massively expensive and hard to implement idea.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 30th March 2012, 3:07

I remember most of the team managers said that back then. The EBD surely was complicated enough to slow half the field down…

• Optimaximal said on 30th March 2012, 9:24

Obviously the ins and outs are beyond me, but I don’t think the concept was complicated, it just needed time to implement and tune.

RBR got the most out of it because they had a 6 month headstart and a chassis geared around it. Everyone else had to adopt it once the double diffuser was removed, leaving them all on the back foot.

I think you can basically trace the championship position & performance across 2011 to how quickly the concept was successfully implemented by team designers.

• squaregoldfish (@squaregoldfish) said on 30th March 2012, 10:29

You may well be right.

3. Hare (@hare) said on 30th March 2012, 0:12

Gotta say, my first impressions of Karthikeyan were that he’s out of place on an F1 grid. However, he needs the track time, and he simply hasn’t had it. So I should really reserve my personal judgement for another time.

Vettel is probably regretting those comments, as they are coming back to him with mud on. Lewis has learnt to keep quiet sometimes, and Jenson was a total gent about his run in.

Mind, I don’t personally mind it all. It all adds to the show for me, and as long as Karthikeyan doesn’t screw up my race predictions for any more races, I’m happy to see his efforts over the forthcoming races. ;)

4. Aficion said on 30th March 2012, 0:16

Ouch…. What does everyone think about this? I agree that Vettel didn’t really have to say those things, but maybe there is a problem here. Personally, even though Karthikeyan did have the line, he was the backmarker and should’ve cleared the way. I think he’s exaggerating a bit when he said he’d have to clear out onto the grass to do so. Maybe cash-drivers are doing more than bringing down the quality of the sport, but actually hindering the drivers who are actually competitive (I mean…. 10th overall in A1 as a career highlight DOES kinda make him seem like a ‘pickle’). As always, I’m open to changing my mind. So, fire away!

5. Ciaran (@ciaran) said on 30th March 2012, 0:16

I never thought I’d defend Karthikeyan, but he’s right to stand up for himself here. Vettel has seriously gone down in my books for the way he’s handled this incident – a 2 times world champion can’t just go around blaming everybody else when things don’t go his way.

6. callum (@095cal) said on 30th March 2012, 0:33

Fair play to Karthikeyan. Vettel really needs to keep quiet at the moment. He isn’t helping his reputation by getting into arguments with a HRT driver over something that was his fault in the first place.

7. Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 30th March 2012, 0:41

This is the first time I’ve ever heard that a leading driver should be the one to give room to a backmarker. And even if so, I think it is clear for anyone to see from Vettel’s onboard and from the head-on shot that Karthikeyan had enough room. I keep looking at Vettel’s onborad and I can’t for the life of me see how he turned in on Karthikeyan.

Have I missed something or did Vettel attack Karthikeyan again? If so, that’s really bad on Vettel, but if Narain is referring to Vettel’s interview after the race, then I don’t know what his point is. The guy was obviously frustrated, he knew he lost 12 points (and I’m not even going to talk about whose fault it was, as I’ve said I’ve watched the video countless times and what I see is that Vettel was going straight. Even Narain admited it was his fault), an ammount that could be crucial in such a competitive season; after all, Vettel won his first title by only four points.

• By the way, my internet is being really rubbish right now, so could anyone please help me remember how did Webber react when Vettel crashed on him at Fuji 2007?

I believe the quote you’re looking for might be, “Well, it’s kids, isn’t it? Kids with not enough experience, doing a good job, then they **** it all up.” [Link]

• Circumstances were rather different. That wasn’t a racing incident, or even an incident that happened during racing. Vettel ran into him under safety car.

• I’m pretty sure we all understand that. However, the issue for many people doesn’t seem to be the particular circumstances but rather what is and isn’t okay to say to the media about another driver. Personally, I’m of the “people say things when they’re angry that they might not say under other circumstances, so cut them some slack” school of thought. I apply that to all drivers (and all people generally) — Webber, Vettel, Karthikeyan, Hamilton, and everyone else.

• I’m of the school that says what you say should be proportional to the incident and the fault of the other driver. Nobody had a problem with Barrichello when he criticised Schumacher when he nearly ran him into the wall. What Webber said here was basically correct, it was an accident that occurred as a result of Vettel’s inexperience. Here on the other hand, opinions are very much split on blame, you couldn’t say the the accident was down to NK being a cucumber. That’s just an insult.

• Well, do enjoy yourself in that school! Sadly, I’ll be over here with the rest of us imperfect mortals who occasionally say things in anger without first pausing to carefully consider all possible mitigating factors.

• Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 30th March 2012, 1:11

Webber slammed Vettel in the interview following his crash. “Kids, isn’t it? Kids with not enough experience – you do a good job and then they **** it all up.” Pretty sure Vettel was crying his eyes out in the pits too.

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 30th March 2012, 15:43

Pretty sure Vettel was crying his eyes out in the pits too.

Yeah, I remember that too. To be honest, even after the stupid mistake, Vettel grew on me a lot at that race.

• Jarred Walmsley (@jarred-walmsley) said on 30th March 2012, 1:26

It’s kids isn’t it, kids with not enough experience doing a good job, then they **** it all up.

• Julian (@julian) said on 30th March 2012, 1:31

***** kids.
      Or something of the like.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 30th March 2012, 1:38

” It’s kids innit”

• hey (@hey) said on 30th March 2012, 2:23

I’m not on exactly on the popular front with this either. At best, the incident was 50/50 if you can criticise Vettel for insisting on that extra bit of straight racing line before turning towards the next corner, and if you can believe that Narain had some issues with marbles, so had less control than it looked like he had. In that case, Vettel’s comment after race wasn’t helpful and he’d regret saying that about another driver. However, I think think it’s still within the bounds of average racing-driver reactions and doesn’t particularly put him down in my estimation.

However, that’s all putting Narain’s role in the incident in the best light. IMO Narain seems to have been getting in the way as much as possible this season: he’s actually one of my main memories of the Australia weekend for that reason, which is remarkable considering he only lasted until Q1. This incident was another example of not just Narain, but the other backmarkers too, not getting themselves properly out of the way when they’re getting lapped. In that light I can sympathise with Vettel to some degree.

I know that the ever-backmarkers have entered the competiton just the same as the guys in the front and therefore obviously have a right to be on the track, but when it comes to being lapped that cuts both ways. Yes, you have entered the race on equal terms, but if you then do so poorly in that race that you get lapped then I’m sorry, but you’re losing and the people beating you get priority. If you’re a midfielder in a close fight for points then I can understand cutting it fine with people coming to lap you, but if you’re isolated then you really have no excuse for not making sure you get out of the way properly when the time comes.

IMO Narain took a lazy risk in moving across the track before Vettel was past him, and ended up ruining his race. If that was me and the other guy called me an idiot in a mood after the race, I’d take it on the chin and maybe make a quiet apology at the next race; it’s not like it wasn’t my fault. If Narain wants to be the professional sportsman then he can work on correcting his mistakes rather than telling the people affected by them to stop moaning.

• nackavich (@nackavich) said on 30th March 2012, 6:10

@pamphlet That was a little different, under safety car conditions if I remember and Webber was near the front of the pack in a position he rarely had the chance to be in. Plus he’s Aussie, and we tend to be a bit more blunt about those kinds of things.

• Ross said on 30th March 2012, 6:29

he was coming 2nd with a helmet full of vomit and a bout of food poisoning. Im surprised his language wans’t more colourful.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 30th March 2012, 18:03

@nackavich – “He’s an Aussie” shouldn’t be justification for being rude.

• Solo (@solo) said on 31st March 2012, 11:36

It seems people can separate their insults now in our days. Saying to you that you ***** up is not the same as calling you a “cucumber” or an “idiot”, so why is every non typical language being treated as the same?

• David-A (@david-a) said on 31st March 2012, 15:17

@solo Because using that language isn’t the best way to react. You can take your pick from that, or Whitmarsh’s “crash kid” jibe. Other people do what Vettel did.

• nackavich (@nackavich) said on 4th April 2012, 9:52

@david-a I never denied he was being ‘rude’, I merely said he was being blunt, in Australian fashion. If he was annoyed at Vettel, and rightly so he was, he was blunt in voicing his opinion. He didn’t act like a child, or backstab anybody, he vented his frustration plainly, and moved on.

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 30th March 2012, 8:25

You compare the actions of Vettel at Fuji 2007 to those of Karthikeyan at Sepang 2012?! You pretend to be logical but this argument doesn’t stand up to any logic at all. Even if NK was mostly to blame for the impact it was a small mistake caused by non-cautious overtaking by SV. But sure, feel free to compare it with slamming into, and putting out of the race another car under the safety car.

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 30th March 2012, 15:34

@montreal95 my point here is not comparing the circumstances that led to both collisions. I wanted to know how Webber reacted in the media, because all I could remeber was that he didn’t have any soft words either, because in my view people have been overreacting to Vettel’s comments just as Vettel overreacted in his interview. Comparing the collisions themselves was always out of question.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 30th March 2012, 8:51

@guilherme – I think Vettel was responsible for the collision, mostly because I think he misjudged the gap. His right-rear tyre tagged the front-left of Karthikeyan’s car. I think Vettel just moved back onto the racing line a little too quickly, and there was nothing either driver could do to prevent it. Karthikeyan was, after all, doing everything in his power to stay out of the way.

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 30th March 2012, 15:39

@prisoner-monkeys Well, I have to disagree. Looking at it from the back it does look like Vettel moved, but on the other two camera angles available it is clear (to me at least) that Karthikeyan turned into Vettel. But I think the point of who was at fault has already been discussed at length in the forum I think.

• vho (@) said on 30th March 2012, 17:53

@prisoner-monkeys Agreed. Looking at the front replay it seems that Vettel’s car was trying to get onto the racing line and it wasn’t Narain’s car that deviated from the racing line. Look at the lines that the 2 cars in front of them were taking. The angle of the camera shot shows Vettel heading directly towards the camera’s position, but the camera’s position is not relative to the racing line, so it can seem to look like the HRT is turning sharply to the right, but in fact it was following the racing line.

• hey (@hey) said on 30th March 2012, 22:13

That’s as maybe, but the point that some would make is that Narain shouldn’t be trying to follow the racing line considering he was getting lapped.

• vho (@) said on 31st March 2012, 8:02

A back marker should follow the racing line while they’re getting lapped provided they back off on the throttle. By following the racing line the back marker’s car position is more predictable – especially in a straight-line – for the overtaking driver to make the pass. I can understand the racing line should be afforded to the overtaking driver about to lap a back marker when approaching a corner, but in a straightline the back marker should stay as “still” as possible on their position (the racing line is the most predictable) so there are no potential surprises for the overtaking driver. In the instance between Vettel and Narain, they were both commencing a short straight before a left turn.

8. latina (@latina) said on 30th March 2012, 0:44

Just wondering how a usually smiling Vettel could say such about another driver. And Horner himself didn’t help matters. There has to be some sanity at Redbull this season. They should remember that until recently they were never front runners in F1. What makes a great team is not only the number of plaques they acquire, but also the excellence they exhibit in accepting their victories and losses, no matter the circumstances. Seb should understand that while he is greatly admired by a lot of people, those same people (especially fans) can so easily switch their allegiance if they sense that he is a cocky fellow. To whom much is given, much is expected.

9. James (@goodyear92) said on 30th March 2012, 0:46

The comments were definitely out of order and the incident was his own lapse of judgement. What will be the true judge of character, for me, is if he apologises like Hamilton did to Maldanado and Massa after Monaco last year. Emotional outbursts are understandable, but not having the cojones to stand up, admit fault and apologise shows bad sportsmanship.
    On a side note, anyone care to comment on what order they would put the world champions on the grid in terms of personal favourites (not skill levels, don’t wanna start a huge debate). Mine would be:
    1. Hamilton
    2. Alonso
    3. Schumacher
    4. Raikkonen
    5. Button
    6. Vettel

• James (@goodyear92) said on 30th March 2012, 1:14

I’m actually gonna change my opinion on this one thanks to @Ayfa posting that video. I hadn’t previously seen the head-on shot and it certainly looks like Narain tucked back under abit early for whatever reason, maybe he had some oversteer and he had to correct it. Either way I take it back that it was a lapse of judgement from Vettel.

• Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 30th March 2012, 1:16

1. Schumacher
      2. Vettel
      3. Raikkonen
      4. Button
      5. Alonso
      6. Hamilton

Also, I’ve already said this numerous times – Vettel has nothing to apologize for. It was 100% Narain’s fault. Petrov’s comments are dumb and bandwagon-ish, which is rather disappointing because I like him a lot.

• James (@goodyear92) said on 30th March 2012, 1:20

Read my above reply to myself. Even so resorting to name-calling for a world champion who has made similar mistakes in the past and not recieved the same response from drivers isn’t great, but as long as he apologises I won’t judge him. He’s only human.

• Neusalz (@dpod) said on 30th March 2012, 2:13

Vettel has nothing to apologize for

I’m not completely sure if you are talking about the collision or the post race comments when saying this. If your talking about the post race comments then I disagree 100%.

• Enigma (@enigma) said on 30th March 2012, 6:13

2. Alonso
      3. Vettel
      4. Raikkonen
      5. Hamilton
      6. Schumacher

• Cyril said on 30th March 2012, 10:40

1. Alonso (with 30 minute head start)
      2. 2nd Ferrari driver making up the numbers
      3-23. Rest of field (wearing Alonso masks)
      24. Hamilton (in tractor)

• 1. Raikkonen

1. Hamilton
      2. Hamilton
      3. Hamilton
      4. Alonso
      5. MSC

• rankx (@rankx22) said on 30th March 2012, 15:59

1. Raikkonen (because he is such a crazy blockhead)
      2. Button (because of his friendliness)
      rest: I don’t care.

Schumi looks like a gangster to me, same with Alonso. Although blackmailing the boss is really good entertainment.

By the way, it’s Karthikeyan’s fault.
      (Thank you George for the video posted above:
      imgur.com/l6kIE)

• David-A (@david-a) said on 30th March 2012, 19:04

1= Vettel, Schumacher
      3. Raikkonen
      4. Alonso
      5. Button
      6. Hamilton

• 1. Raikkonen – Always has and will be been my favourite.
      2. Button – All round good and honest driver.
      3. Schumacher – Began cheering him on last season and I really want him to do well this season.
      4. Alonso – No man’s land. Fernando is very up and down for me. At the moment, it’s somewhere near the up.
      5. Vettel and Hamilton – Nothing wrong with their abilities but they don’t really do it for me as much as the top 3.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 2nd April 2012, 14:19

@goodyear92 Why do you have Button and Vettel so low? I’m just curious. :)

For me:

1. Button
      2. Alonso
      3. Vettel
      4. Raikkonen
      5. Hamilton
      = Schumacher.

• James (@goodyear92) said on 2nd April 2012, 17:22

Why do you have Schumacher and Hamilton so low? Just personal preference. My reasons are basically: I hate hearing drivers are in fuel saving mode, or are going slow to save tyres. I know it’s a part of racing, but I find it annoying that a driver is restrained from going fast to save fuel and not damage his tyres and Button and Vettel thrive in those sort of conditions. Schumacher, Raikonnen, Alonso and Hamilton all thrive best when it’s about raw speed and fighting through the pack. Vettel has made a couple of good moves, but I’m not sold on him being a great racer yet. Need to see a race like China 2010 (Lewis) from him. Button is above him because he is a far better racer in my opinion, but he’s still low down because in 2010 he was less than impressive for me. Lewis crashed out twice, had a wheel failiure in spain, a gearbox failiure in Hungary and another gearbox problem in Japan where he limped home 5th and he still finished ahead. Jenson was impressive in 2011, but in regulations that suit him. I still think in raw speed on proper tyres he’s the slowest world champion.

10. Afya said on 30th March 2012, 1:08

If you watched the replay(someone posted it on the previous thread but here it is if you haven’t see), you will see that Vettel did leave some room for Karthikeyan but Karthikeyan moved away from the curb as he admitted before. I agree Vettel’s handling of this incident isn’t very good but I can understand his frustration. Petrov just clearly didn’t watch the replay before his stupid comment.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 30th March 2012, 7:37

Well, @pamphlet, guess you will have to now correct your assumption. To me this is still a racing incident where both drivers could and should have been more carefull. Yes, Karthikeyan hit Vettel when correcting the car on a slippery track, he even said so himself. But Vettel had no need at all to cut a pass that close instead of leaving more room for a car that handles like a truck in the circumstances.

And it certainly does not justify the middle finger 2x, nor calling names afterwards. If Vettel is the champ and gent who he wants to be, he should apologize to Narain for those comments.

11. David-A (@david-a) said on 30th March 2012, 1:12

I think that Vettel definitely overreacted. I’m pretty disappointed about his conduct, and he didn’t need to be rather unpleasant, even if emotions may have been running high. But it has nothing to do with Petrov, who is now shifting the blame away from someone who admitted he got wheelspin and caused the incident.

12. F1fanNL (@) said on 30th March 2012, 1:13

I see Petrov is blind as well….
    “Karthikeyan didn’t do anything unnecessary – didn’t hit him, didn’t change direction sharply.”
    Steering right suddenly isn’t changing direction sharply…. Come on.

Also, Karthikeyan already admitted he hit Vettel so why are we still hearing “it’s Vettel’s fault”?

Furthermore, what is Karthikeyan on about in his comments?
    “just because he is having a difficult year”
    What year? The year 2011? In which he won the championship easily? Or 2012, the year that’s only seen 2 races yet?

When I get out of bed on Monday I’m usually grumpy too. That doesn’t make my entire week a bad week!

This is just him (and Petrov) jumping on the Vettel bashing train while it’s still in the station. too bad for him he already admitted being at fault. He probably would have blamed the whole thing on Vettel now if he hadn’t.

• TribalTalker (@tribaltalker) said on 30th March 2012, 10:16

re: “having a difficult year” – I understood that to mean having a hard time testing, developing, practicing, qualifying and racing. That’s 3 months of “difficult”, and all of the year we’ve had so far.
      Plus SV seems to be doing his utmost to tee off the other drivers. “The new Schumacher” indeed.

• TribalTalker (@tribaltalker) said on 30th March 2012, 10:24

I should also add that the race contact seemed like (mostly) NK’s fault and that Vettel was unwise to cut it so close. And I’m in favour of drivers being passionate about racing. However, I do expect a multiple world champion to have a more balanced view in the longer run. I think SV needs to retract his “idiots” comment.

• Bulabog said on 31st March 2012, 3:48

Its easy for narain to say this, he didn’t lose any valuable points even after being given the penalty

13. Andrew Benson is such a poor writer, how he keeps his job at BBC as head F1 writer I’ll never know.

None of his articles show any sort of insight at all, I remember an earlier one about pre-season testing where he was going on about the innovative front wing DRS system on the Mclaren! He also further invalidates his opinion in my view by suggesting at the end Vettel should learn to lose gracefully like Button (fair enough) and who else, Alonso.

Alonso?! The man who has thrown his toys out of the pram more times than I can count, a graceful loser? Unbelievable.

• James (@goodyear92) said on 30th March 2012, 2:20

The best winners generally make the worst losers lol. It’s sad but true. I don’t like the comments Vettel made and I’m not a fan of his in the slightest, but he’s only human and it’s easy for us to judge having never been in situations like that. Do think he should apologise and if he does, no more should be said about it.
      Agree with you on Benson, total hack. According to his calculations after testing, Mclaren would be about 30s off Red Bull by the end of a race. Yeah ok…

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 30th March 2012, 7:53

@debaser91, I wonder why you bash A. Benson here, what was the grounds for that? You did notice that the BBC article in the roundup was just him writing down Gary Anderson’s views?

• @bascb – Not really. Anderson’s article is about all the teams, Benson’s is specific to Vettel ‘cracking’.

As to why criticise him its something I’ve been feeling for a while and I wondered if anyone else on here felt the same. That article wasn’t a particularly bad example of his work but some of the ones he has written are really quite bad for supposedly a professional journalist. I mean with the resources and access he has available to him he often sounds much less well informed than a lot of people who post on this website, for example.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 30th March 2012, 11:39

yeah, sorry @debaser91, I sort of overlooked Benson’s article there!

I do think he has often missed the point lately, at times during testing his conclusions were pretty far off IMO. But the part about Vettel to me seems pretty accurate, citing other people, German media etc., and I think his conclusion that Vettel does not like being beaten is pretty easy to get to, and its how it should be. Not that I think Vettel isn’t fully capable of being satisfied again if he makes a good weekend of the next race!

As for the point about Alonso, I get that to mean, that Alonso has had to learn about losing in the past years and has learnt to deal with it since 2007, and since 2010. He does seem to take it better by now and always look at the positive side, for example his half full tweet after Australia.

14. Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 30th March 2012, 2:08

To me, Vettel was a bit hot-headed when he overtook Karthikeyan. However, clearly Karthikeyan’s did not even try to avoid the contact and simply kept his line on purpose. Karthikeyan should have got a warning at least.

We all know why Karthikeyan is in F1. And he’s got a wrong way of going about trying to gain respect on track. One could argue, when looking at Button – Karthikeyan incident, that the message from Karthikeyan is clear: “I am not moving out of the way”.

1 2 3 4