Karthikeyan hits back at “crybaby” Vettel

F1 Fanatic round-up

Narain Karthikeyan, HRT, Melbourne, 2012In the round-up: Narain Karthikeyan says Sebastian Vettel’s criticism of him was “really unprofessional”.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Don’t be a cry baby, Karthikeyan tells Vettel (The Times of India)

“For a world champion to say things like that is really shameful. It is really unprofessional. For a driver who has achieved so much to take out his frustrations on me just because he is having a difficult year is really sad. One does not expect a professional sportsman to be such a cry baby.”

Crash suggests Vettel is under pressure (BBC)

“One leading F1 figure told me: “‘It was completely Vettel’s fault – he needed to give Karthikeyan more space. He only had to clear the last inch and he cut across the front of him. He was showing a bit of frustration and it bit him.'”

Petrov blames Vettel for Karthikeyan incident (GP Update)

“Karthikeyan didn?t do anything unnecessary – didn?t hit him, didn?t change direction sharply. Sebastian overtook him and started to turn. But Narain was going straight.”

On Bahrain (The Buxton Blog)

“There is an allocated media hotel and media shuttles have been laid on. I will be avoiding both. It?s just too much of an obvious target for those wishing to get their message across to an international audience.”

Bahrain and Formula 1 (Joe Saward)

“It is just a shame that the final doubts about the place were not swept away with invitations to the event for Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, the two major human rights organisations in the world. If they had come to the party and said that all was well, then no-one would have any worries.”

Alan Baldwin via Twitter

“French PM Francois Fillon is visiting Le Castellet tomorrow. Le Parisien newspaper says he will announce deal done for French GP in 2013.”

Yas chief hopes Abu Dhabi remains host of F1 Young Drivers Test (The National)

“We would obviously be disappointed if Abu Dhabi didn’t host the Young Drivers’ Test because it has become a part of our season, but I can understand the teams’ concerns.”

Gary Anderson?s review of the F1 teams after two races (BBC)

“In the last two years, Red Bull’s big benefit was in having a car on which they did not have to do much work at a race meeting. But in Malaysia, for the first time ever, I saw them changing torsion bars, roll-bars, ride heights and so on.”

Tony Fernandes Q&A: Caterham can join the midfield (F1)

“The goal for mid-season is the same as it is for the whole year ahead. We know what is achievable, and breaking into the midfield is a huge challenge, so the reasonable target is tenth again.”

Red Alert (Grand Prix)

“The most pertinent question was why he had gone off. Which brings us back to the radio message; a pretty dumb call, if ever I heard one. Apart from presupposing Perez hadn’t worked out the implications of a DNF for this little team, history shows that asking a F1 driver to slow down is like suddenly discussing the weekend’s shopping while having sex. Or, so I would imagine.”

I know I can count on a second family (Ferrari)

“It’s the not the first time I’ve gone through a difficult moment like this and I know well that things can change quickly, but now is the moment to do my utmost because I want this negative period to come to an end.”

Shear Power ?ǣ Chassis E20-01 Returns to Base (Lotus)

“The chassis we have back here now is Romain?s car from Malaysia, chassis E20-01. We didn?t originally intend to bring this car back, but after the events of Sepang and the damage incurred it made sense bring it back for repairs as well as getting everything else we need done.”

Formula One Star Lewis Hamilton travels to Manila for Soccer Aid 2012 (McLaren)

“Lewis Hamilton spent two days this week in Manila with UNICEF, the world?s leading children?s organisation, making a short film about street children that will be shown during Soccer Aid on May 27th 2012, on ITV 1.”

Comment of the day

Much praise for the efforts of marshals from several readers yesterday, including this from TimG:

We seldom hear much about it, but motor racing at every level is completely dependent on the time and goodwill of volunteers who perform a range of essential tasks, mostly without payment or acknowledgement. Having been involved in grass roots-level motorsport in the UK, you really get to appreciate the efforts of the dedicated and highly skilled people who give up their time ?ǣ and often take similar risks to the drivers and pit crew ?ǣ to make the sport work properly. It?s easy to criticise officialdom at motor races, but doing the job is incredibly difficult to get right all the time ?ǣ and most of the time they do get it right.

I’m not surprised that (most) teams are grateful for having their cars brought back safely. I have vivid memories from years ago, when I was working on a Formula Ford at Castle Combe, of the marshal who took the time and trouble to return a body panel that had come off on the far side of the circuit after contact. Above and beyond, really.
TimG

From the forum

Site updates

Several updates were applied to the site yesterday to correct faults and improve performance. See here for details.

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Lee!

On this day in F1

There’s much discussion about the arrival of Sky as an F1 broadcaster this year. Three years ago we were discussing the return of the BBC to F1.

228 comments on Karthikeyan hits back at “crybaby” Vettel

1. ozzy (@ozzy) said on 30th March 2012, 20:43

There have been 3 “World” Champions to disgrace the sport over the time that I have watched this sport.
    1) Schumacher
    2) Alonso
    3) Vettel
    And the behavior of the most recent one somehow confirms my thoughts. More than one world championship gets into their puny egoistic heads.
    I wish Mark Webber or Nico Rosberg wins this time around, but it seems unlikely considering the current state of affairs. Maybe Romain Grosjean will do something special. Please Lord. Help Us.
    Parity was never a part of Formula One, ever. and now more than ever we need a miracle to save this sport from itself :)

• ozzy (@ozzy) said on 30th March 2012, 20:45

I mean “Of course” 2-time world champions….

• george said on 30th March 2012, 21:22

Does: “Lie-gate”, “ali-g gate”, “speeding on a domestic road…. gate”, “swearing on twitter gate” and “safety car gate” come to mind?

Vettel loses his temper once and now he is a disgrace to the sport with the likes of Massa, Lewis, Maldonado and Sutil doing far worse than calling someone a cucumber. Vettel might not be a saint but he is still 2-3 leagues below some of these drivers I bring up above.

• ozzy (@ozzy) said on 1st April 2012, 18:24

Please stop “gate”ing everything thing. Watergate was a long time ago and this “new” fad is very drool.

Vettel loses his temper once

Are you sure you have been watching formula 1?
        He is absolutely incapable of dignity in losing, I only point this out because it seems to me, there is a threshold in what turns drivers from being homo sapiens to ego sapiens. Vettel is a few leagues below because he is NOW in this position. Remember lewis in 2009? No one is a saint around here, let alone Vettel. I only expect someone who is a multiple world champion to be gracious and not cocky. Is that too much to ask?

• george said on 2nd April 2012, 16:12

Trust me, been watching F1 longer than you have buddy and no multiple world champion is graceful in defeat, they only want to win so keep hoping for somebody different while I’ll worry who will win the WDC this year.

Yeah Vettel is a “disgrace” because he called a guy who ruined his race a cucumber…

I bet you have called people worse so maybe you should worry about yourself maybe?

• David-A (@david-a) said on 2nd April 2012, 21:13

Well said george.

• ozzy (@ozzy) said on 3rd April 2012, 19:24

I would be very happy when people start calling the crash-kid a “cucumber” or maybe a “potato” for ruining their race. He obviously needs something other than red bull in his drinks packet.
            I would be very worried when people ask others to worry about themselves, turkey…

• David-A (@david-a) said on 4th April 2012, 0:18

@ozzy – People have already called Vettel names for ruining their race, so don’t worry, your double standard has been exposed :)

• David-A (@david-a) said on 30th March 2012, 23:01

According to @ozzy , calling someone a cucumber is a disgrace, but Piquet Jr. deliberately crashing his car is okay. And apparently calling another driver an idiot is a crime, while Hamilton calling Massa and Maldonado stupid is fine.

• ozzy (@ozzy) said on 1st April 2012, 18:27

So let us not forget who was the one to eventually benefit from the “CrashGate”. Alonso still counts that as his win. Shame.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 2nd April 2012, 6:00

@ozzy That comment in no way justifies not adding Piquet Jr. to your list.

• ozzy (@ozzy) said on 3rd April 2012, 19:32

You obviously don’t know how F1 works. (******-Off) Fernando Alonso + (Money-Hungry) Flavio Briatore > (Desperate) Nelson Piquet Jr. Maths.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 4th April 2012, 12:52

@ozzy – Piquet still shouldn’t have done it. It was a dangerous and stupid act, and it’s plainly ridiculous for you to list someone for venting some frustration and calling another driver a couple of names while seemingly sweeping under the carpet the comments and actions of other drivers.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 30th March 2012, 23:04

So according to you @ozzy , Hamilton’s comments last year after Monaco weren’t a disgrace but Vettel’s comments after Malaysia were?

• Hmm, interesting. Just curious: when world champion Ayrton Senna smacked Eddie Irvine for holding him up while he was lapping him during the 1993 Japanese GP, what did that do to the sport?

• ozzy (@ozzy) said on 1st April 2012, 18:30

Sorry, but I was not lucky enough to watch Senna in any guise. I started watching F1 in 1997. I wish I could watch all the old F1 races and share my thoughts but I only have second-hand reports, so I cannot comment on Senna.

2. Andy2286 (@andy2286) said on 30th March 2012, 20:54

Either way, it doesn’t matter what Karthikeyan says… no-one actually really cares what he says, he’ll always be nothing more then a mobile chicance brought in to make up the numbers.
    Or should I say, Karthi-who?

• It’s so easy to be disrespectful of a backmarker, isn’t it? I found it very interesting that Karthikeyan mentioned in his BBC interview that some drivers took a bullying approach to backmarkers, and that he in that position was very conscious of trying to get out of their way. Surely the best drivers in their very good cars should be able to gauge overtaking distances well and not leave it to those in less developed cars to avoid all the possible incidents, especially on a still drying track. Vettel was hasty in assuming where Karthikeyan would be and so he cut in too fast, similar to what we sometimes experience out on the public highways.

• ozzy (@ozzy) said on 1st April 2012, 18:52

Yes, If u have any respect for F1 you would know that without the small teams there is no F1. I find it appalling that there is absolutely no respect for small teams any more from any of the “F1 Fans”. This brand for “Fans” will only last till their team is there and don’t really care about the sport. I have watched many live chats on F1fanatic and its an utter disgrace. I hope u get a chance to “run” anything in your life and utterly fail at it. Please F1Fanatics, have some respect.

3. broadswordcallin said on 31st March 2012, 0:03

Greetings. There is an lot of opinion on Mr V v Mr K’s handbags at dawn..
    Could we look forward to China please, with some predictions on the first 3 past the post.
    I call Button, Hamilton, Massa- ( not looking for your views on my views, just your views)

Keep the faith.

4. I think that the 107% rule should count from the pole position time, no the 1st position in Q1. Then all of this will be irrelevant as the pointless teams at the back will never qualify and we can get on with some racing.

5. Hamilton in Manila??? I’ve missed that one. It’s very rare for a F1 driver to visit our place and a former world champion. Even its a charity work. If I’ve known it sooner I should have gone to the place. Got his autograph and pictures… even he’s not my no 1 f1 driver… sad. sad. sad.

6. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 1st April 2012, 14:00

Little late to the party here. The issue of Vettel/Karthikeyan really doesn’t need analysing too much. It was an acccident that if it hadn’t of involved Tue current world champion wouldn’t be receiving so much attention. Vettel was in the wrong, plain and simple.

If he makes a habit of blaming other drivers he will start to look foolish. I thi.k he’s clever enough to know not to do that but at least he’s showing that he is in fact human.

7. Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 1st April 2012, 18:03

I say good on Karthikeyan for giving a bit of lip back. OK, it was his fault, and the stewards punished him accordingly, but Vettel has to wade in with the insults? That appears to be a rather feeble effort to make himself feel better. Wars of words are fun, and it appears to me that Karthikeyan may have the upper hand when it comes to the official F1 language. English, of course!

And who calls a bad driver a cucumber? I could tell you what I all them! Anyway, I thought the Germans loved cucumbers, especially the pickled variety?