Barrichello open to Ferrari return

F1 Fanatic round-up

Barrichello left Ferrari at the end of 2005In the round-up: Rubens Barrichello says he would be happy to return to Ferrari if he was asked, despite some “spicy episodes” in the past.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Rubens ready for Ferrari return (The Sun)

“If they call me today to go drive for them I would go. It was the best team I’ve ever driven for in terms of support, of creativity. But there were definitely some spicy episodes.”

Mercedes system is ‘hard to copy’ (BBC)

Ross Brawn: “The opposition is so fierce [because] there’s a recognition it’s quite difficult to do.”

Brawn: Set-up will unlock car’s potential (Autosport)

“On Fridays we run the car in race trim and we are quite diligent in running the right kind of fuel loads to represent race conditions. And we think other people don’t run more fuel than us, because it would be difficult for them to run more fuel than us. So if you look at the comparative lap times, we think we are okay.”

F1 Fanatic via Twitter

“Lotus’s deputy technical director Naoki Tokunaga is leaving the team to become technical director at Renault Sport.”

The Inside Line – on Caterham?s Heikki Kovalainen (F1)

“Q: What?s your favourite smell?
HK: Petrol!”

Comment of the day

The most populous nation in the planet could have an F1 driver soon:

Congratulations to Ma. Many guys and I have been paying attention to his motorsport career for a long time, and we also hang out to have fun at the karting track run by his father. Happy to see him rekindle China?s F1 hopes through this presence. ?ǣ From a Chinese fan in Shanghai.
Michael Hu

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to LAK!

On this day in F1

Luigi Villoresi won the non-championship Valentino Grand Prix in Turin, Italy, years ago today, driving a Ferrari 375.

Image ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

73 comments on Barrichello open to Ferrari return

1 2 3
  1. Alehud42 (@alehud42) said on 6th April 2012, 0:49

He’d be better than Massa lol

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 6th April 2012, 4:57

Maybe on Massa’s current form he will be better than him. But lets face it, I’d be paying Rubens a compliment by calling him an average driver.

Rubens really comes off as a doormat with these statements. After making his hatred for Ferrari and Schumacher very apparent, he makes a statement that shows that he has no self respect and will stoop to a new desperate level to stay associated with f1.

• Aditya said on 6th April 2012, 6:07

Absolutely. Nothing prevented him from bad-mouthing Schumacher nd Co. when it was convenient. I mean,c’mon Rubens,give it a break,you’re just not good enough any more!!!

• ftg said on 6th April 2012, 9:42

i am not sure but i think Rubens was faster than Maldonaldo last year, and Maldonaldo is not the slowest man on track

• Nikos said on 8th April 2012, 23:21

Absolutely correct! Rubens’ days in F1 aren’t over yet. He’ll soon be back and he’s going to finish his career in Ferrari with style. I like it babe!

• bananarama (@bananarama) said on 6th April 2012, 10:35

I guess he didn’t bring this up himself but rather just answered a question. And it is his right to answer or feel that way. But then again, no matter how well he would do, I think there is no doubt in anyones mind that Alonso would beat him comprehensively and what happens then? Would Barrichello accept the number-two-until-Perez role? Or would he start crying about how unfairly he was treated, just like against Schumacher and in part Brawn/Button?!
        I have nothing against him, I just think it is good for everyone that he has found a new game to play and I’m quite sure Massa will score a couple of points in the coming races and this discussion will slow down.

• Nikos said on 10th April 2012, 12:30

Rubens is one of the best drivers ever! Like it or not. And Rubens will return on F1. Again, like it or not! Cheers.

2. James (@jamesf1) said on 6th April 2012, 0:50

Dont worry yourself Rubens, it wont happen! Ferrari maybe looking to the past with rose tinted glasses at the moment given their current car, but I highly doubt they’ll turn back to the past for a driver, rather, they’ll look to the future, i.e. Sergio Perez.

• Scalextric said on 6th April 2012, 2:19

I’m not an F1 driver (when awake), nor am I enraptured by the Ferrari mythology, but if I were Sergio, I’d stay with Sauber after that last race.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 6th April 2012, 2:22

A bit part of Perez’s result was Sauber’s strategy and the weather. I would not expect him to get that kind of result on a regular basis – and he’s not expecting it, either.

• Scalextric said on 6th April 2012, 2:58

Big part? Guess so, but the Ferrari was similarly blessed, maybe not to the same degree. And other good car/driver combinations missed out, of course. Another part is the tyre management of car and driver which seem to be perfectly matched in Perez/Sauber.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 6th April 2012, 5:37

I’d stay with Sauber after that last race.

At the moment, Ferrari’s actual pace seems to be floundering, but in the long term, Ferrari are a far better bet for a championship challenge or even regular race wins than Sauber.

• Nirupam (@nirupam) said on 6th April 2012, 11:19

I’m not an F1 driver (when awake),

Simply awesome :)

3. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 6th April 2012, 0:53

Easy to say that when you’re out of F1, I guess.

It’s also easy to say that because, like ir or not, it was the only place for him to succed, even as a Number 2. He was No. 2 in the best of the teams for 5 years, hardly the worst place to be.

4. Diogenes said on 6th April 2012, 1:02

Valentino Grand Prix in Turin, Italy, years ago today

60 :)

5. ozzy (@ozzy) said on 6th April 2012, 1:08

I cannot understand why they cant get some promising youngster instead of Rubens. Surely, there is enough promising young talent around to substitute for a talented driver who has never been the same since the horrific accident. Ironic that Rubens wants his seat, considering the fact that it was a part of his car which led ( inadvertently ) to his demise.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 6th April 2012, 15:09

“They” are not even thinking of Reubens. RB was answering to an Italian magazine poll as to who it’s readers think should replace FM at Ferrari and RB topped the list over Trulli and Perez.

As to ‘some promising youngster’ replacing FM…since Ferrari is a traditional top team I would much prefer they bring in a top driver to challenge FA, not someone who is there to learn and climb the ladder. I think we the viewing audience deserve the best possible drivers at Ferrari, there to contribute and challenge FA, not be his student. For me, the students belong on the lesser teams, not the top teams. Not that I expect Ferrari to heed my desire. I just think that is the way it should be in F1. Real racing amongst proven gladiators on the top teams for the greatest show possible to the paying audience.

6. ScuderiaVincero (@scuderiavincero) said on 6th April 2012, 1:15

A spicy combination, should Ferrari actually give him the chance. He showed real talent (in my eyes) back in 2009, and talent like that doesn’t just disappear. I reckon the extra experience will also be useful in sorting out the mess Ferrari’s technical team have gotten themselves into.

• Dom said on 6th April 2012, 9:28

@scuderiavincero his experience didn’t seem to help Williams dig themselves out of the hole they were in last season. Unless you feel it was his input that helped them improve the car for this year?

• ScuderiaVincero (@scuderiavincero) said on 6th April 2012, 11:16

IMHO, I feel it was Rubens (directly or indirectly) who convinced the powers that be in Williams to make the necessary changes to their technical team. My 2 cents of course

7. Meander (@meander) said on 6th April 2012, 1:26

I don’t think this is really on the cards. This remark is probably just an answer to something an interviewer asked him. Or did I miss something huge?

• Slackbladder1 said on 8th April 2012, 7:55

I agree Rubens has more class than to just blurt something like that out, you know how the media is!

8. matt90 (@matt90) said on 6th April 2012, 1:32

Does anybody know what the Ferrari’s black nose was in respect of? Was it the London bombings?

• Diogenes said on 6th April 2012, 2:06

It was for the death of Pope John Paul II in 2005

• Dave (@davea86) said on 6th April 2012, 3:23

After seeing the fugly cars from this season all over of the articles here It’s nice to see a really good looking one every now and then. I remember when Ferrari did the black nose, as they did after the September 11 attacks, people were saying that they liked the gesture but thought it looked ugly. If only they knew what was coming…

• Oblong_Cheese (@oblong_cheese) said on 6th April 2012, 4:39

It was to honour the deaths of the 2001 terrorist attacks in America. Well, actually the cars that year ran without any sponsorship what-so-ever – just a red car with a black nose – but the one in the picture above still has logos. I’m not sure when that was from.

9. schooner (@schooner) said on 6th April 2012, 1:37

Simply an honest answer to some reporter’s hypothetical question, I’m sure. I would doubt that Rubens is really expecting to get that phone call!

10. DavidS (@davids) said on 6th April 2012, 2:28

Guys, it’s from the Sun.
    The writer of the article (I struggle to call them a journalist) probably asked, “Would you return to Ferrari if they asked to you replace Massa?”
    His answer was Yes, which is the answer that most people would give.

When pressed further by the interviewer about some of the troubles he had at Ferrari, he brushed them off as a non-issue.

The only person to seriously consider Rubens driving for Ferrari again is the writer of that article.

• Alfisti37 (@alfisti37) said on 6th April 2012, 3:16

Spot on.

• Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 6th April 2012, 3:31

I’m brazilian, and he said that on TV. I saw it, and sincerely i think he souldn’t say it.
      One of the main resoans tha he’s not respected (by most of the people) here is because he don’t know when to shut it up. He always whines about everything in his career. I believe that a statemente like that, made on TV is desrepectfull to his team in IndyCar Series. He has to accept that his F1 career it’s over.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 6th April 2012, 4:14

He said right before and after his Indy deal that F1 wasn’t finished busness for him.

I don’t see how that’s being “disrespectful” to his team in IndyCar. He said what he said all the time.

Besides, he never said he wants to be back in F1 in that article. He just highlights that, if asked, he’d return to Ferrari, even after playing Number 2 to Schumacher. That’s where the discussion goes…

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 6th April 2012, 6:47

@davids, that is the Sun reporting there. Being shabby with details! They cite a brazilian TV station as the source, when in fact it was. Rubens answering a fan questions in the 63rd episode in Peter Windsors’s “the flying lap” online show yesterday evening – maybe put in a link to that show @keithcollantine
      I saw that live, really great interview and Rubens was very open about things. Watch out for the telling silence and smile when asked what he thinks of Parr leaving Williams.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 6th April 2012, 6:48

sorry the 64th show already, seems that is not yet up for download

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 6th April 2012, 6:49

yep, its still going for reruns here – http://smibs.tv/live

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 6th April 2012, 14:42

The article cited says he was asked to comment about having topped a poll done by an Italian magazine as to who should replace FM at Ferrari…RB got the nod over Trulli and Perez in the poll.

How silly…that said it sounds to me like RB would have preferred not to leave F1 yet. But back to Ferrari? Pigs will fly first. If he thinks it would be any better now that MS isn’t there he should look at who his teammate would be. I think it is poor of him to imply he would go at the drop of a hat. Doesn’t say much for his commitment to his new venture in Indycar. I’m sure he is enjoying that somewhat, but it sounds like his heart is still in F1. Probably because he never really had a proper sendoff. Suddenly he was gone and we didn’t have a season of ‘Reuben’s last this race or that…last Brazilian race, last Monaco, last Italian GP etc’…

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 6th April 2012, 15:08

Not sure about that, but what he said yesterday was that 1. he is happy to be in Indycar but 2. if called by any of the F1 teams would offer him a ride, he would possibly say yes to that, if offered a deal he liked.

It really was in response to a direct question of what he would do if called by Ferrari. Not something he brought up himself. Although he did say that it was not his choice to stop doing F1, and he does not think that F1 is definitively over for him.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 6th April 2012, 15:28

Not sure if your ‘Not sure about that’ comment was directed at me, but I think we are pretty much in agreement anyway. In the Sun article it states that this started from a poll done in an Italian magazine as to who should replace FM at Ferrari, and RB got the nod by the readers of the magazine over Trulli and Perez. So if he was speaking further to it on Brazilian TV or on Windsor’s online show I see it as only coming up on those other media because it came up from this magazine poll and others are running with it. Nobody within F1, nor RB, brought this up.

“If they call me today to go drive for them I would go.” That taken from this site’s article above, so if he also said in an interview that he is happy to be in Indycar I just question how happy, and given that he flip flops often enough about his time at Ferrari, I think RB will say whatever seems appropriate to say from one interview to the next.

As to RB not thinking F1 is definitively over for him…that may be the case…he might be hanging on to some glimmer of hope, but I think that speaks more to his sudden ousting from the F1 world to his dismay, than it speaks to his chances of getting back in…I think he has greater odds of being hit by lightning.

11. me262 said on 6th April 2012, 2:52

Someone should ask Eddie Irvine if he would make a come back too

12. willion said on 6th April 2012, 4:18

nice looking Ferrari, reminds me of Noic Echeins….

Barrichello , No

13. DavidS (@davids) said on 6th April 2012, 4:27

Nice choice of picture for the article, too.
    Felipe Massa is in the background.

14. Hatebreeder (@hatebreeder) said on 6th April 2012, 4:49

F1 driver with MADE IN CHINA written on him? Hmmm…

15. cosicave (@cosicave) said on 6th April 2012, 4:55

I am quite certain Rubens’ days in F1 are over.

However, one must admire his optimism and desire to return, especially when considering the rather obvious conclusion that he would most likely be a firm ‘number 2′ once again, if it happened with Ferrari.

Then again, despite his protestations at his treatment when teamed with Schumacher, most of us know he’d do it all again if he could…

1 2 3