Barrichello open to Ferrari return

F1 Fanatic round-up

Barrichello left Ferrari at the end of 2005In the round-up: Rubens Barrichello says he would be happy to return to Ferrari if he was asked, despite some “spicy episodes” in the past.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Rubens ready for Ferrari return (The Sun)

“If they call me today to go drive for them I would go. It was the best team I’ve ever driven for in terms of support, of creativity. But there were definitely some spicy episodes.”

Mercedes system is ‘hard to copy’ (BBC)

Ross Brawn: “The opposition is so fierce [because] there’s a recognition it’s quite difficult to do.”

Brawn: Set-up will unlock car’s potential (Autosport)

“On Fridays we run the car in race trim and we are quite diligent in running the right kind of fuel loads to represent race conditions. And we think other people don’t run more fuel than us, because it would be difficult for them to run more fuel than us. So if you look at the comparative lap times, we think we are okay.”

F1 Fanatic via Twitter

“Lotus’s deputy technical director Naoki Tokunaga is leaving the team to become technical director at Renault Sport.”

The Inside Line – on Caterham?s Heikki Kovalainen (F1)

“Q: What?s your favourite smell?
HK: Petrol!”

Comment of the day

The most populous nation in the planet could have an F1 driver soon:

Congratulations to Ma. Many guys and I have been paying attention to his motorsport career for a long time, and we also hang out to have fun at the karting track run by his father. Happy to see him rekindle China?s F1 hopes through this presence. ?ǣ From a Chinese fan in Shanghai.
Michael Hu

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to LAK!

On this day in F1

Luigi Villoresi won the non-championship Valentino Grand Prix in Turin, Italy, years ago today, driving a Ferrari 375.

Image ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

73 comments on Barrichello open to Ferrari return

1. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 6th April 2012, 5:26

Italian magazine Autosprint is apparently reporting that Formula 1 will return to Argentina in 2013, replacing the Korean Grand Prix, even though Korea managed to get a new contract with a reduced rate.

• Jordan (@jord93) said on 6th April 2012, 7:22

Yeah, I saw that too. It will be interesting to see how the calendar ultimately turns out, what with the conflicting messages. I don’t think F1 itself has made an official announcement on Argentina just yet.

2. Denis 68 said on 6th April 2012, 5:45

Rubens you’ve done nothing but whinge about Ferrari since the day you left so sadly I don’t think you will be getting call up from them. Come to think of it maybe you will as Fiat require a Brazilian driver in the Ferrari team (when was last time Ferrari didn’t run a Brazilian driver?) and your probably the best one currently going around.

3. JustinF1 (@justinf1) said on 6th April 2012, 6:38

Rubens is wonderful in so many ways but,. I hope he gives someone else a chance.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 6th April 2012, 8:48

Well said @justinf1. I can understand that he wouldn’t mind trying to see if he can beat Alonso and prove to Ferrari what a mistake they made in letting him go, but really, after all that has gone on between them?

I haven’t yet seen the Flying Lap from yesterday where he talks about this (problem with (installation of?) newest flash player), but let him concentrate on IndyCar for now. Last race he ended up pretty decently after all.

4. BasCB (@bascb) said on 6th April 2012, 6:58

A very happy birthday @lak, I hope you have a great day to relax and enjoy it with friends and family.

5. bosyber (@bosyber) said on 6th April 2012, 8:31

Happy birthday LAK, hope you enjoy a great day.

6. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 6th April 2012, 9:27

I don’t think there’s much need to make it apparent that Rubens won’t be driving for Ferrari. Just enjoy his comment for what it is. He clearly has a lot of respect for the team and even after playing second fiddle to Schumacher.

7. Joe Jones said on 6th April 2012, 11:04

well i guess that it couldnt have been that bad at ferrari! hes quick enough to talk bad of them when it suits him.

8. realracer (@realracer) said on 6th April 2012, 11:05

I’m a big fan of Rubens, but these kind of comments by him really annoy me, I just wish he would accept the fact that his F1 career is now over, not how, he or anyone else had wanted it, but he spent 19 seasons in F1 which already says a lot, so he has nothing to prove at the end of the day. Now I just wish that he would focus on getting some success in Indycar’s, a series which I am sure has gone up in many people’s estimations, its a new chapter in his racing career and I think he should focus on completing it, embrace his destiny.

9. The Limit said on 6th April 2012, 14:21

I don’t know if Rubens is being serious here or just taking the michael! If he really thinks he stands a chance then fine, but what about the people in Indycar who have taken him on and the sponsors? He’s the oldest driver on the Indycar grid, and hasn’t exactly challenged for wins in the two races he has completed.
    For those who have brought up Barrichello’s criticisms’ of Ferrari in the seven years since he raced for them they bring up a valuable point! We all know that Schumacher got the goldmine and Rubens the shaft at Ferrari, but I seriously doubt that Ferrari enjoy having that subject discussed in public. If they were to take on Rubens, one could safely assume that it would only be until the end of the season. By that I am openly suggesting that Sergio Perez would be the man Ferrari would want in 2013, and that possibly a deal has already been done with Sauber.
    If I were them, I would keep Felipe Massa on until the end of the season and then drop him if his poor form continues. Who knows, maybe Peter Sauber would take Massa back next year but then again he may not want him. If Massa keeps driving like he is few would want him, especially when the trade off is Sergio Perez. Barrichello to Ferrari, it all seems a little pie in the sky to me!

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 6th April 2012, 14:52

Lol…”taking the michael.”

Just to reiterate…RB didn’t bring this up…he was commenting when it was pointed out to him that an Italian magazine did a poll as to who should replace FM at Ferrari, and he beat out Trulli and Perez in the poll. There is absolutely nothing to this.

I think his hypocritical remarks about Ferrari that fly in the face of the majority of his remarks and sentiments about the team just show to me that he really really didn’t want to leave F1 yet, and at a minimum didn’t get to have a ‘send-off’ year of ‘this is Reuben’s last Brazillian GP etc etc.’ He just suddenly disappeared off the face of the F1 world. And I too took note of his surprisingly sounding like he would leave Indycar at the drop of a hat if he were offered an F1 seat. And I think that if by some huge miracle he found himself back at Ferrari, he would only find himself in the same boat with FA as his teammate.

10. AndrewT (@andrewt) said on 6th April 2012, 15:33

if Ferrari would really looking for another driver to replace Felipe Massa in the middle (or more like at the very beginning) of the season, there would be plenty of options. (However, I don’t think they would replace someone that serves the team for like 10 years, including his loan to Sauber…)
    – Sergio Perez will definetley be a Ferrari driver one day. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but time will come.
    – Jules Bianchi wasn’t sent to Force India for nothing, gaining some experience on a couple of fridays would be enough for a driver seat somewhere next year, and in a few years time at Ferrari maybe.
    (- Robert Kubica unfortunately is not on the list of any F1 teams anymore I’m afraid, although he was tipped to team up with Fernando Alonso at Ferrari one day.)
    – Why would you let Mika Salo test your car, if you have Giancarlo Fisichella at your disposal? However, his return is unlikely, despite he and Alonso got on quite well.
    – and finally here we have the experienced, but currently unemployed ex-F1 drivers, like Jarno Trulli, Nick Heidfeld, Rubens Barrichello and Adrian Sutil, or (the less experienced) Jaime Alguersuari that, as in Rubens’ case, would jump onto this possibility.

The other interesting question, that what would Massa do after losing his seat, as he was never contracted to another team as Ferrari, currently noone would sign him, and if they would, would they tolerate if Felipe wouldn’t match his teammates pace?

11. AlexNK said on 6th April 2012, 22:18

Rubens ‘The-Older-I-Get-The-Better-I-Was’ Barrichello has shown his true colors once again. First, he openly supports Massa saying that Felipe hasn’t lost his speed, he just needs to get the joy of driving back. Then, asked if he’d raplace Massa, he says he most definitely would (not that Ferrari were considering him, of course). Great backstabbing from Rubinho, as always. RB didn’t even realize (until recently, apparently) how good he had it at Ferrari. He was openly badmouthing Michael and the team, going against the team spirit, and still got the drive for many years (and a very lucrative fee at that), while 3-times WDC Alain Prost got fired for lesser sins.

Sorry Rubens, you’ve got a lot more than you deserved based on your limited talent. Now you’ve found the place you belong – a second-tier open wheeler series.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 7th April 2012, 14:39

I think RB always knew what his role would be at Ferrari…I think he went into his contracts with them eyes wide open…the good news RB is that you are going to drive for Ferrari, something you haven’t really earned…the bad news…you’ll not be winning the WDC…perhaps the odd win when MS can’t be helped, but otherwise…

And I think the problem for RB became that they never really spelled out to him, until it was obvious to the world, just how subservient he would have to be. So ya, he went against the ‘team spirit’ because he found out there really was no ‘team’ at all, in the traditional sense, and that it was really far and away about one driver, from race one of every season. No inter-team racing allowed.

So it’s really always been a double-edged sword for RB/Ferrari…I think that is why at times when it suits him in an interview he sounds honoured to have driven for Ferrari no matter how it played out for him and will even try to sound like he was allowed to compete (ie. I’m no stooge), and at other times he is saying he is going to write a tell-all book and confirm that we don’t know the half of what went on at MS/Ferrari, as shown by Austria 02 (where he was an obvious stooge).

• AlexNK said on 7th April 2012, 17:45

There is certainly much truth in that. But it is also true that Rubens on his best day was only just better than Michael on his worst day. And as the years go by, Rubens is getting more and more vocal how he was almost equal to Michael. His latest estimate, I believe, is that he was less than 0.1s slower. He’s accumulated a lot of sympathy for various reasons (mostly having nothing to do with his racecraft), so people are happy to let it slide. But to me his attitude stinks.
        At least Eddie Irvine, a playboy that he was, has once been in the position (and under tremendous pressure) to challenge for a WDC. And yet, he openly said that MS was where he was because he was faster and could drive around the cars’ problems like noone else, plain and simple. In contrast, RB was always blaming something else, preferrably the team. That was the case with Ferrari, and then with Brawn, when his whining became particularly apparent because it was not against MS, who some people simply love to hate, but rather against JB, who is considered a great sportsman all over the isles.

• Rush said on 7th April 2012, 18:15

@AlexNK Agree with you, even in Brawn he just lack that star power compare to Button. Imo i think Nick Heidfeld s slightly better than Rubens.

12. LAK said on 6th April 2012, 23:35

Thank you @bascb @bosyber and @keithcollantine for the Birthday wishes!! :D

13. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 7th April 2012, 2:46

@LAK happy birthday sis,enjoy the time,hope we will see you in the Bahrain grandstand!

14. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 7th April 2012, 5:09

What makes Rubens think Ferrari could EVER ask him that?

15. Rush said on 7th April 2012, 18:07