2012 Chinese Grand Prix grid

22. Charles Pic 1’39.717
Marussia
Row 12 23. Pedro de la Rosa 1’40.411
HRT
24. Narain Karthikeyan 1’41
HRT

*Five-place grid penalty for gearbox change.

2012 Chinese Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Chinese Grand Prix articles

52 comments on 2012 Chinese Grand Prix grid

1. F1Underground (@realf1underground) said on 14th April 2012, 8:46

Did someone predicted Mercedes 1-2 perfectly except @KarunChandhok ?

2. cobbs (@cobbs) said on 14th April 2012, 8:53

Any news on Maldonado’s potential penalty?

3. Slr (@slr) said on 14th April 2012, 8:54

I really think that Rosberg can win and that Kobayashi can get a podium tomorrow.

This was a great qualifying, 2010 and 2011 were stinkers when it came to qualifying, this year qualifying has already been fantastic.

4. richevans123 (@richevans123) said on 14th April 2012, 10:00

There has to be a stat in there somewhere for no mclaren/redbull/ferrari in top 4, when was the last time that happened?

• Slr (@slr) said on 14th April 2012, 10:17

@richevans123 Spa 2009 comes to mind, I remember the top 3 being Fisichella (Force India), Trulli (Toyota) and Heidfeld (BMW). I can’t remember who was fourth, but I’m pretty sure that it wasn’t a McLaren, Red Bull or Ferrari. I think Raikkonen was 6th or 7th, whilst Badoer would have been at the back. Both McLarens went out in Q2, and I think the Red Bulls were around row 4 and 5.

• Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 14th April 2012, 11:54

That was a tough one to find out. I initially thought we’d be going back to Europe ’99 or Spa ’98, but more recently, Malaysia 2009 saw Button win for Brawn, Heidfeld 2nd for BMW, and Glock and Trulli 3rd and 4th for Toyota. After that, Red Bull and later McLaren became stronger and I believe finished in the top 4 at all the races (I think), apart from Spa which Kimi won for Ferrari.

5. How about that gurken now,hey Vettel?!Awesome qualifying session,can’t wait ……

6. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 14th April 2012, 11:38

Really don’t see the Mercedes staying where they are. We saw in both Australia and Malaysia that their race pace is at the back of the midfield. McLarens can certainly win from 5th and 7th, although Hamilton will probably have the edge if the weather remains dry (which I believe I’m right in saying it will) due to the cool temperatures.

That’s assuming that Kobayashi and Raikkonen can’t make their grid advantage count, when we all know they can. If they can get past the Mercedes early on and open up a lead then both will have a great shot at the win. We all know how awesome the Sauber’s race pace is in particular, and it’s conceivable Kobayashi could keep far enough ahead of the McLarens.

Certainly, I won’t be complaining if it turns into Hamilton vs Raikkonen vs Kobayashi for the win. Three of the best races going hard at it is a mouth watering prospect, and I for one can’t wait for tomorrow morning.

• Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 14th April 2012, 11:58

On a related note, this has royally screwed my predictions. I saw Michael on pole, with Hamilton winning from Vettel, Button, Webber and Perez. Oh well, if it’s a great race I don’t mind.

7. I think tomorow is all about Raikonnen, Webber, Button and Hamilton, the winner is amoung this group (if race stays dry)

8. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 14th April 2012, 13:53

So, it will be interesting to see what tyres Vettel choses to start the race with. Could be the prime again, much like in malaysia. Would be quite interesting thb.

About the grid: i don’t see either merc nor kobayashi or raikkonen win this grand prix. The mercs obviously eating their tyres. The saubers too (they also mentioned this on sky. They’re tiers are getting quite hot, hence the good qualy laptime). Raikkonen, well i don’t think he has the pace to withstand Button, Hamilton and Webber.

9. de le rose said on 14th April 2012, 14:53

Does anyone know why Grosjean didn’t set a time in q3? He could have easily been higher up on the grid..

• de le rose said on 14th April 2012, 15:04

Couldn’t wait for an answer so found out:

Romain Grosjean, E20-04. Q: P10, no time. FP3: P12 1’37.274.
      “I have mixed feelings after today’s session. After struggling a bit yesterday it’s great to have both cars in Q3, but unfortunately after a terrible first run in Q2 we were forced to use up all our new sets of soft tyres before the final session.

“This meant there was no point trying to set a competitive time in the pole position shoot out which is a real shame, as our pace in Q2 was good. I feel much more comfortable with the car and I think that shows in the lap times today. The team did a great job to turn things around and get us back towards the top where we should be. I still have some fine tuning to do but 56 laps in tomorrow’s race will certainly help that!”

10. Nickpkr said on 14th April 2012, 17:05

I say Mclaren Superiority is gone as the teams are pretty much catching up in performance, specially on race pace and poles won’t come easy anymore and loving now is turn for Vettel to be number two in Redbull. Mercedes did save tires for race not many else could, they are fine with good strategy, if merc does 1-2 WDC will be likely be almost like “reset” after the race. But my bet is Perez makes no pit stops this race. Looking forward !

11. Kris H. said on 14th April 2012, 17:10

No Red Bulls, McLarens, or Ferraris on the front two rows! That doesn’t happen very often. Belgium 2009 I think.

12. Palle (@palle) said on 14th April 2012, 18:51

When looking at the first 2 races, the Silberpfeile will probably be untouchable at the start, but from the last part of first stint, their race pace will probably slow down and they will surely drop down the field, unfortunately. It will be a tight packed front of the field, until the first gets past the 2 Mercedes pilots. I think Raikönnen has a chance of winning it, but agrees that the most probable winner must be Button, Hamilton or Webber – it will be a great race. I’m disappointed about Vettel, and Grosjean still makes to many errors. Alonso and Vettel must beware of Grosjean during the start and first part of that stint. The Saubers and Alonso will also be interesting to watch.

13. Scalextric (@scalextric) said on 15th April 2012, 0:24

I wish overtaking was going to be a little harder. Having the Mercs at the front with potential race pace limitations and need for actual good driving to pass them would make for a very tight leading pack. Oh well, without (D)DRS they wouldn’t be up there anyway.

14. Vicente dalmau said on 15th April 2012, 5:05

Did you know that the last POLE as al team for Mercedes , was in 1955 with Fangio ?