Button wants better post-race celebrations

F1 Fanatic round-up

Jenson Button, McLaren, Shanghai, 2012In the F1 Fanatic round-up: Jenson Button wants to be allowed to entertain the fans after winning races.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Button urges more contact with fans (The Independent)

“If I had my way, I’d make sure that after a race we could celebrate a victory better than we do now. The way it is with having to look after the engine because it’s got to do a certain number of races, and the gearbox, you can’t go and do doughnuts for the crowd. You can’t pick up a national flag. You can’t have the moments that Nigel Mansell had at Silverstone. And in your very moment of euphoria you are dragged away from the team, your family and friends.”

F1 about to step into the unknown (The Telegraph)

“Ecclestone, meanwhile, reportedly ‘swore and stormed off’ after a brief interview with AFP in the paddock on Sunday. ‘Do you think that if we cancel the Formula One that all the problems will just disappear?’ he said.”

Ecclestone and Todt will not heed warnings (The Times, subscription required)

“Jenny Wagstaff, one of the catering staff at Williams, has paid the price with her job. She has left the team after declaring that she did not want to go to Bahrain on ethical grounds. She departed ‘by mutual agreement’, according to the team. There are many more than Wagstaff who will have moral objections, never mind fears for their own safety.”

A Great Show in China, a Lingering Cloud Over Bahrain (New York Times)

“[Ross Brawn] tried to close off the discussion about Bahrain by saying that there were ‘many positives’ from going to Bahrain for the race. I was genuinely surprised and interested to hear what these ‘positives’ were, so I asked very quickly before the subject changed. ‘I don’t want to get into a debate,’ said the director, Ross Brawn. He refused to tell me what the positives were.”

Bahrain opposition starts F1 protests week (AFP via Google News)

“Sunday’s protest was the first in a week of daily demonstrations and sit-ins called by Al-Wefaq, Bahrain’s largest Shiite bloc, planned to last through the end of the controversial Grand Prix race scheduled for April 22.”

Bahrain Grand Prix: Formula One demeans itself with this event (The Guardian)

“The drivers, sponsors and team owners who participate should consider that they will be giving cover to a violently human rights-abusing regime by their participation and will be seen by many Bahrainis and others as accomplices in those continuing abuses.” Read my comment on this article.

F1 Fanatic Live via Twitter

Sebastian Vettel [on team radio]: “We had absolutely no straight line speed the whole race. Ridiculous.”

Chinese GP – Conference 4 (FIA)

Jenson Button: “It was a big gap to chase down but before the stop, we had very good pace on new and old tyres so I don?t know. That was our aim but it didn?t go to plan, but we had a problem at the pit stop which cost us a lot of time ?ǣ it didn?t just cost us time, it cost us places as well, so it made it very difficult to have the possibility to chase down Nico [Rosberg]. But that?s the way it is.”

Hamilton: Penalty cost me win chance (Autosport)

“I am sure we’d have given Nico a run for his money but the traffic we had and the amount of pit stops was incredible.”

Comment of the day

Some interesting views on the race plus a random fact on Switzerland from Shimks:

Brilliant pole and win from Rosberg. I wonder if Mercedes are very happy that things didn?t go to plan in their first two races? If the FIA had seen how much potential that car has for leaving the others in the dust, maybe their wing would have been banned ?ǣ especially if Bernie had interfered. I can see Mercedes running away with the championship a la Brawn ?09 if they keep adding significant updates to the car. Or am I getting too excited and carried away?

Button showed class again today. He really is consistently looking better that Hamilton at the moment. I love Button ?ǣ literately: I?ve got his picture above my bed ?ǣ but I am very surprised at what has happened to Hamilton. He used to be so awesomely quick.

Finally, a great shame for Sauber. It looked like Kobayashi couldn?t get any temperature into his tyres. He looked average out their today which we all know is not true. So has Peter Sauber already handed over the mantle to Monisha Kaltenborn? He stayed in Switzerland this weekend for this Monday?s Sechsel??uten holiday in Z???rich, where we burn a snowman to death to bring in the Spring!
Shimks

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to AndrewTanner, SoLiD, BraddersF1 and RumFRESH!

On this day in F1

Happy 70th birthday to Sir Frank Williams!

Image ?? McLaren/Hoch Zwei

136 comments on Button wants better post-race celebrations

1. Anti-RBR (@matt2208) said on 16th April 2012, 10:47

There is something Going on at Mclaren.. Things aint right, i think there are a few people on the other side & the pit wall that dont want a lil someone getting on top off someone else at Mclaren. Might just be me.. but i no snakes when i see em. Great Drive From Nico and Lewis and i dont wanna say it but vettel didnt do to bad aswell.

• Baron said on 16th April 2012, 11:15

I hear that they only gave Lewis 5 gears in China while JB had at least 7, maybe more.

It isn’t fair….

• James (@jamesf1) said on 16th April 2012, 11:16

Need your eyes checked then mate, no snakes!

• me262 said on 16th April 2012, 12:02

what about schumacher’s loose wheels conspiracy theory? wasnt it last year one of his wheels rolled right off his car? someone at mercedes thinks he can do it on 3 wheels

• Mads (@mads) said on 16th April 2012, 16:19

Its true, I read it on the internet you know.
          Massa’s car is probably programmed to be slow as well!
          Maybe Ayrton Senna was running with a secret traction control, and anti turbo lagg device. That’s why he was so fast.
          Fangio had rockets mounted on the car, it just looked to be exhaust pipes, and Clark! Where do I start?
          Some say that he used a time machine to get into the year 2011, and stole Webber’s RB7 and parked an RB5 in its place instead. Not only explaining Clark’s immense speed, but also why Webber was so slow in 2011. It all makes sense.
          You never know what’s going on behind closed doors! Unless you are superman of cause, in which case… never mind..

2. McLarenFanJamm (@mclarenfanjamm) said on 16th April 2012, 11:04

A shame that everyone is only picking up on one part of the COTD.

Personally, I don’t think Merc are going to run away with the titles like Brawn did in 09. I think the conditions in China played a big part in their victory. We know they’re hard on their tyres and the cool conditions numbed that effect a little, but also enabled them to turn their tyres on quicker than the other teams, who are not so hard on their tyres. Don’t get me wrong, it was a superb win for Rosberg, and very well deserved but toward the end of the race it was clear that the McLarens at least had the pace to have kept Rosberg honest if they’d been close. Had they managed to qualify higher up then I think the fight for the lead would have been very, very close. I don’t expect Mercedes to have good race pace in Bahrain, the temperature alone is going to curtail their race. China, for me, was a one-off.

On the subject of the McLaren pair, I actually think they’re pretty evenly matched on race pace, and Keiths lap chart analysis seems to back this up. Lewis either had bad luck, or a bad strategy in China as every pit stop seemed to drop him into a long line of traffic, whereas Button seemed to drop into clean air (until the pit stop error anyway). I know it’s silly to look back and think “what if” but indulge me here… If Lewis had not had the grid penalty, he would have probably been second after the first corner, given his excellent start, and then would not have had to cover Webber’s pit stategy, McLaren could have played Jenson against Webber and Lewis against Rosberg, covering all bases. Would Lewis have been able to make his tyres last? Probably. I believe Ted said during the race that McLaren’s tyres actually didn’t look that bad after the stops and they were just covering other people, certainly Button’s were ok, as you’d expect. Lewis, for me, is finally learning something and is beginning to play the long game and choose when to go all out and when to play it safe. He’s realised what Button’s strengths are and is looking to emulate them. If he masters this, then coupling that with his superior speed, he could take back the “number one status” within the team.

I agree that it was a shame for Sauber, both drivers seemed to go backwards during the race, Kobayashi more so than Perez. Again, I think the conditions in China flattered Kob a bit in qualifying. I didn’t really see much of either Kob or Perez’s races so can only assume that they struggled with tyre performance. Did Perez two-stop and Kobayashi three-stop? They seem to have sacrificed race pace for qualifying pace when they should be going the other way, look at Williams! Both drivers in the mid-points scoring positions, passing two Ferraris, a Lotus and both Saubers on their way.

3. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 16th April 2012, 12:36

Frankly, too much has been read into the Massa-Alonso radio transcripts. It was a decision purely based on strategy. Since Germany 2010, any message Felip gets regarding Alonso is treated as a “team order”.

Go back to Singapore GP 2011, Di Resta was told to let Sutil past because they were on different strategies as well but no one read too much into that.

4. RBAlonso (@rbalonso) said on 16th April 2012, 12:41

I find Button’s comments very interesting and I completely agree with him but the more I think about it I can see completely where the authorities are coming from. I love Valentino Rossi and his way of celebrating suits his character very well. However, I can’t see it being acceptable in Formula 1. An example of this is how bitter many people are with Vettel’s one finger gesture. If he had a parade follow him and Materschitz decided to fund some sort of celebration it would look, in my opinion, very unprofessional. Maybe MotoGP is different is because the Motorcycle greats of the past are seen as very cavalier ( a la Sheene etc) in comparison to the more intense, highly professional ambassadors for our sport ie Prost, Stewart, Moss, Schumacher etc. Perhaps I am the only one who thinks this, and maybe Rossi gets away with his brilliant celebrations because he is an undisputed hero in MotoGP and attracts a huge audience, but if Hamilton had engineered a large celebration for his title win, then the Ferrari and Massa fans would have maybe thought it was excessive. I, for one, gained a great deal of respect for Felipe for the way he conducted himself that day and I think the likes of Stewart, Clark, Fangio and Senna would have felt the same way.

5. Archimedas (@archimedas) said on 16th April 2012, 15:27

Happy Birthday to Paul di Resta BTW

6. The Limit said on 16th April 2012, 17:06

I agree with Jenson Button. Yesterday’s grands prix, especially in its closing stages, was very entertaining to watch, however post race everything seems a little bit of an anti climax. Everyone points out the fact that the teams don’t like their drivers doing doughnuts, but you can celebrate victories in other ways that does not risk damaging the cars. Drivers flying flags as Aryton Senna and Nigel Mansell famously did twenty years ago seems fine to me, and the images of fans mobbing Mansell’s Williams at Silverstone are the stuff of legend. If everyone used their commonsense, I see no reason why the sport could not return to those days!

7. GMACz said on 16th April 2012, 17:40

Lewis blew us away with donuts at Stowe after the 2010 Silverstone race although he’s come over to the tarmac in front of the stands rather than on the circuit – it was a dull race & the brits were nowhere & he was just doing it to brighten up our day – TOP man Lewis!

8. Novotny (@novotny) said on 16th April 2012, 18:33

I think that before the awarding of the trophies, any driver on the podium should be able to challenge any of the others to a dance-off, the winner getting a further 8 points. This would mean of course that both the 2nd and 3rd place guys, if not utterly shagged out from the race, might be able to ‘overtake’ the guy placed above them. Booming disco beats, major lightshow – what’s not to like?

Clearly Britney, who was looking in fabulous form after Sunday’s race, would have easily beaten off any challenges in China. However I’m positive this would increase the excitement of modern F1.

9. Hallard (@hallard) said on 17th April 2012, 0:34

I cant agree with the COTD.

In fact, Im totally baffled by people’s ability to draw such authoritative conclusions about Button and Hamilton. The fact is that they are extremely close in performance overall, and their race results show it. Lets take a look at their performances as team mates, to date:
    Hamilton: 512 pts, 6 wins
    Button: 527 pts, 6 wins

These are startlingly similar statistics, and in my estimation at least, there’s less of a gap between them than perhaps any other 2 drivers on the grid. To have both of them possibly battle for the WDC is quite tantalizing, and I for one hope it stays this close between them!

10. The Money (@pamphlett31220) said on 17th April 2012, 3:47

I think this will be either Button or Hamiltons last season at mclaren,ultimately i think that one of them will end the season a double world champion.Theres no way Whitmarsh will intervene in there fight for the title and as there is no number 1 or 2 at mclaren i feel there relationship will deteriorate as the season go on and i wouldn’t be suprised if they actually come together on the track more than on one occasion this season.I fear that something will have to give this season between them,i may be totally wrong but i remember when a battle for supremacy at mclaren took place in the late 80’s between two number ones going for the title ended.Then 2007 with alonso and hamilton…does anyone agree with me?.

11. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 17th April 2012, 13:01

Button is on to something about post-race celebrations, but I don’t like donuts and never have, they just look tacky!

12. cpeterip said on 18th April 2012, 12:45

Almost every post, tyres – Pirellis, Blah , blah blah & people try to decide who has the best balancing act.
    Why not go back to where a set of tyres MORE than last the race – but you can change if you want – then we would see more exciting balls out racing – not the nanny game of conserving tyres etc that is the contrived “show” we have today, – it is an insult to any fast driver and F1!! Also have qualy tyres if you want – BUT – you start the race on what you qualified on- with the sole exception of a wet race!