Predictions Championship round cancelled for Bahrain

Predictions Championship

Valtteri Bottas, Williams, Bahrain, 2012The F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship round for the Bahrain Grand Prix has been cancelled.

Feedback from readers in the past 24 hours has made it overwhelmingly clear many do not consider it appropriate to run the competition given the events in Bahrain.

On reflection, I agree this is the correct course of action to take.

It retrospect, this is a decision I probably should have taken sooner. But better to make the right decision late in the day than not at all.

No points will be awarded for the Bahrain Grand Prix. The next round which will count towards the championship is the Spanish Grand Prix.

More on the situation in Bahrain this weekend:

Image ?? Williams/LAT

146 comments on Predictions Championship round cancelled for Bahrain

1 2 3 5
  1. Tinakori Road (@tinakori-road) said on 20th April 2012, 21:23

It’s OK by me, I was considering not watching at all.

2. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 20th April 2012, 21:26

Shame, to be honest. However, respect for reacting to tour followers. Shows a lot of decency.

3. sid_prasher (@) said on 20th April 2012, 21:26

hmm…strange decision but its not like i would have scored any points anyways.

4. Karen said on 20th April 2012, 21:27

I may never watch it again, I’m so upset and disappointed with every F1 team and driver.

5. javacofe (@javacofe) said on 20th April 2012, 21:29

rosberg for pole, button for podium, hamilton for DNF, tyvm :)

6. Glenn (@glenn) said on 20th April 2012, 21:31

Good Call Keith! At least I can say that you are just and have respect for the people of Bahrain.

On to Barcelona it is.

7. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 20th April 2012, 21:34

Right decision in my view, well done to Keith for taking it. I think it was silly for the sport to go there anyway, and I still think the race is still 50/50 after what happened to Force India yesterday, despite Bernie’s assurances. Either way, with the teams likely wanting out of there ASAP, and with any race meaning little in the grand scheme of things, it isn’t right to go ahead with the predictions championship.

By the way, you’ve said “It retrospect” in the article when I think you mean “In retrospect”, just thougth I’d point it out.

8. Fixy (@fixy) said on 20th April 2012, 21:34

I honestly don’t see why we shouldn’t guess the race order – after all it’s not that this decision has brought F1 to Bahrain, it’s us who have started predicting as a consequnce of F1 going to Bahrain. The event will happen anyway, so I don’t see why we shoudln’t enjoy the show the sport will offer us.

• GeorgeDaviesF1 (@georgedaviesf1) said on 20th April 2012, 21:59

Wish I had a picture of Bruce from Family Guy right now

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 20th April 2012, 22:05

Maybe because it’s supposed to be a fun prediction game and there are prizes in play too. So it does feel odd to compete for some prizes while the situation is this critical.

Besides, it’d go against what Keith commented over the past weeks about the Grand Prix. Sure, the news are still coming, but to hand prizes and stuff after the race, seems a bit off…

9. Mustalainen (@mustalainen) said on 20th April 2012, 21:34

Okay, but I don’t see what this will accomplish though

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 20th April 2012, 21:57

The bottom line is, this is supposed to be a bit of fun. And it’s been clear from the responses I’ve had from many readers in various forms, that it simply isn’t going to be the case for a lot of people this weekend.

What’s more, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that we end up a scenario where some teams compete and some don’t. In which case we’re effectively asking people to predict who will and who won’t choose/be forced to pull out on whatever grounds. Again, it’s another example of how the weekend has ceased to be about sport.

10. Good choice Keith – admire your decision.

• bisutommy79 (@bisutommy79) said on 20th April 2012, 21:41

I second that. I was thinking of some kind of boycott like not posting the pole time but this is even better. We want to see F1 but not at every cost and specially not at expense of the lives of people in Bahrain. I regret that F1 teams went there at all.

• I third that. @keithcollantine I have gained A LOT of respect for you and your site these past few days (Not that I didnt respect you beforehand).

Definatly the right decision to cancel the predictions round.

11. hey (@hey) said on 20th April 2012, 21:44

Decision respected. No moral ambiguity for anyone entering.

12. Fastmann said on 20th April 2012, 21:48

Correct decision Keith.
    Very disappointed with F1 drivers and F1 team team principals. Why do they not break the silence?

13. Picasso 1.9D FTW (@picasso-19d-ftw) said on 20th April 2012, 21:48

The right move, Keith

14. the_narv (@the_narv) said on 20th April 2012, 21:49

Nice one, Keith. A difficult decision to make, but I’m sure you’ve made the right call on this.

15. Krišjānis (@maldikons) said on 20th April 2012, 21:55

Maybe halve the points for China then – it’s not so bad there after all but still – human right problems exist there. Or maybe 40%, or 65% – your site, your call.

• Dave said on 21st April 2012, 0:08

Ah but the right-on brigade cannot condem China because then they’d have to reflect on disposing of their iPhones and laptops and all the other items in their lives that have come from, and support, the economy of China.

Let’s all pretend that there haven’t been more deaths this year caused by the crackdown on the Tibetan plain and Xinjiang that in Bahrain (there have) or that the Chinese government doesn’t care about the Chinese grand prix (a country doesn’t spend as much as the Chinese do on getting international sporting events, such as F1 and the Olympics, if it doesn’t care.).

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 21st April 2012, 0:29

I responded to the China point here:

The Bahrain Grand Prix: A matter of conscience

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 21st April 2012, 2:37

China did care about the Olympics, but not F1. That is why, if you recall, the Olympics were controversial, whereas the GP is not. In China the highest authority in the country doesn’t attend the races in a prominent position and use the F1 logo to make a political statement. Nobody denies China has shocking human rights abuses. But the race being there isn’t an issue because there is no direct link to that- the location of the race is inconsequential to the event.

• Mike (@mike) said on 21st April 2012, 2:55

Exactly.

• Jimmy (@jimmy) said on 21st April 2012, 4:04

So you won’t do anything about it because you can’t do anything about it? Great excuse to keep using all your goods made in China.

• Dave said on 21st April 2012, 13:17

So because China is a large country and journalists can be excluded from the areas of oppression but get to the track, and protesters can be locked up before they make it to Shanghai it is alright to race there? The track was built with state funds and the first prize giver was a member of the national government.

1 2 3 5