Predictions Championship round cancelled for Bahrain

Predictions Championship

Valtteri Bottas, Williams, Bahrain, 2012The F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship round for the Bahrain Grand Prix has been cancelled.

Feedback from readers in the past 24 hours has made it overwhelmingly clear many do not consider it appropriate to run the competition given the events in Bahrain.

On reflection, I agree this is the correct course of action to take.

It retrospect, this is a decision I probably should have taken sooner. But better to make the right decision late in the day than not at all.

No points will be awarded for the Bahrain Grand Prix. The next round which will count towards the championship is the Spanish Grand Prix.

More on the situation in Bahrain this weekend:

Image ?? Williams/LAT

146 comments on Predictions Championship round cancelled for Bahrain

1. Kremer (@kremer) said on 21st April 2012, 2:03

Thanks, Keith. Good decision.

2. Mickrock (@mickrock) said on 21st April 2012, 2:36

Hmmm…
    I respect your decision, but Malaysia has the death penalty (same as Singapore & Texas), China gunned down students in Tiananmen square and has an appalling human rights record, several countries have nuclear warhead capabilities, King Juan Carlos of Spain believes it’s fine to shoot elephants in Botswana while the country goes down the financial tubes, The UK government believes it’s fine to video-surveil everyone all the time almost everywhere (under the guise of ‘terrorism and security’), etc., etc. So, I think the real question for us all is “where do you draw the line?”.

We follow a sport that travels the globe spending millions (or billions) of Pound Sterling, Yen, Dollar, Deutsche mark, Franc, with people suffering globally we and ponder tyre strategy.

It’s fine for us to sit on our bums thrashing at our keyboards saying “I don’t agree with this” but at the end of the day what have we done to change anything? That question I don’t have the answer to.

I think the Predictions championship is a bit of fun and anyone who didn’t want to contribute to that race, shouldn’t. We aren’t F1. We’re not forced to compete. We have that choice.

That being said, the Bahraini people don’t seem to have much of a say in anything, so to that end, maybe we get off our collective bums, organize, get down to your local city centre and protest the policies of these offending countries. At the end of the day, you may be able to say, I did my best to try and change things, and that would be much more fulfilling than cancelling a championship predictions challenge.

So are we just humans, being? or are we striving to be humane? I hope that for the sake of the species, let’s be humane.

As for Bernie’s interests, I believe it’s called Bambino Holdings.

• The arguments over boycotts and protesting are too complex for me to write in 30 pages.

I have read hundreds of comments on this site over the past 2 days and people should also consider there is an opportunity to influence stance.

The UK has had very close links historically with Bahrain, more so tha CHina Malaysia, Brazil et al. Sold a lot of military hardwear particularly in the 80’s.

F1 is in effect a UK (or even English) based sport. Whilst our government is shamelessly turning a blind eye to Bahrain and in fact inviting the King to sit with the Queen at her jubilee.

We who read and blog and tweet about F1 every day are stakehoers in the sport. This site is a “.co.uk” site. In my opinion it is entirely appropriate for the UK to ramp up the pressure on Bahrain, more so than it doeson other countries – purely because it has more influence.

3. xivizmath (@xivizmath) said on 21st April 2012, 2:52

Boycotting the Grand Prix of Bahrain? Nothing new for me. In the past my organism would NATURALLY tell me to abandon watching this race – around 10 or 15 laps in.

I call it the “sleep-strike”.

4. BNKracing said on 21st April 2012, 2:59

Lol i can’t believe some people are getting their panties in a twist because the predictions were cancelled. I’m sorry I didn’t know a couple measly points in a GAME was more important than showing support for people who have suffered at the hands autocratic rulers.

Ok this cancelation will not change what is happening over there, but if you would rather win a DVD pack on F1 history over the lives of innocent people then good for you.

Stand for nothing you will fall for anything

5. First off– I loved your analysis of the situation. It was thoughtful and thought provoking. As a HUGE F1 fan, I already suffer ethical pangs over the wasteful use of fossil fuels in this sport, so to add this issue, where the oppressors are so linked to the profit of this race, it’s going to be hard to enjoy this weekend.
    And finally, I’m sick of hearing all these crybabies about the loss of the predictions. You must have an easy life to worry about it.

• Theoddkiwi (@theoddkiwi) said on 21st April 2012, 4:42

I agree. Put the tissue box down, Untie your knickers and chill out.

If you really cant do with out the predictions, send and email to yourself with your predictions, then after the race work out your score, and if you win go out and buy yourself a prize.

6. Matt (@agentmulder) said on 21st April 2012, 3:36

Wow, this is… an interesting decision. I personally haven’t seen this “overwhelming” feedback anywhere on the site. In all fairness, maybe Keith has been flooded with e-mails, phone calls, and various petitions. But either way, it’s funny how the general tone of this blog has gone from politically neutral to being a feed of “how many political statements can I insert into an article to bolster my point.”

We’ve gone from article saying “F1 shouldn’t be political” to articles saying “it’s not right to go there” to the manifesto posted earlier, and condemnations of people on Twitter who don’t automatically try and portray Bahrain as a warzone.

Your site, your rules. Just as any of us, we are all entitled to our own opinions. While I’m not a fan of the way things are going in Bahrain, F1 or not, nothing will change until the issues of that country are addressed. Canceling the GP will not stop the protests, cancelling these predictions will not stop the protests. But whatever, on with the show.

7. Lord Stig (@lord-stig) said on 21st April 2012, 4:23

I have not written anything about my opinions of the race going on so far, as I was and still am really conflicted. As for this decision by Keith, I think it was a reasonable one, the site has taken along with a majority of the readers a ideological position on the issue and this reflects that.

If I were making the decision if the race should be cancelled I would have done so if for no other reason but to avoid this inevitable mess. However, at the same time I see the argument to not taking any position on the issue and simply let it go on as scheduled. What the ruling elite has done with slogans such as UniF1ed are not a making of the FIA or FOM and thus they are not supporting that behavior. Though I wish they did condemn the use of F1 as a political tool, as they did in Turkey back in 2006.

8. choltz (@choltz) said on 21st April 2012, 4:23

I think it is better they race in Bahrain as it brings attention to the country, not much of it being positive. I think it’s pointless to skip the predictions.

9. ciprian (@ciprian) said on 21st April 2012, 5:41

I think – do not want to offense anyone – but this is just somehow a “political correct” thing which is stupid related to sport; just like that. How many people are killed in USA in the name of democracy? How many people are killed by USA outside their border in the name of democracy?
    What do you exactly change by this? Nothing? Is just make you sleep better one night. Or if you’re all so convince of what you doing then please no news about F1 in Bahrain, nothing about this weekend and then you convince me. Other way you’re just a hypocrite.

• Yaeah yeah yeah and the uncivilised masses of Bahrain need repressing for their own good, cos when they stop being murdered, brutalised and kidnapped by the authorities they’ll set up an evil Islamist fundamentalist terroist state – kidnap Ecclestone and steal F1 from us all.

10. bcfc2 (@bcfc2) said on 21st April 2012, 6:59

With all the trouble around the world all the problems in the uk.All i want to do is watch my F1 every couple of weeks,play a fun prediction game,and forget about the world for two hours.Is that two much to ask for

11. ciprian (@ciprian) said on 21st April 2012, 7:06

I mean english :)

12. Ridzki (@ridzki) said on 21st April 2012, 7:19

What??! Pathetic decision, if you want democracy u should create a poll about it first. F1F sucks! bye!

• US Williams Fan said on 21st April 2012, 7:26

there has already been MUCH discussion of this gp on the site. if you are leaving…. then well so long and i wish you well. what’s the old saying…. gone but quickly forgotten :)

• thejudge13 said on 21st April 2012, 9:01

lol. You make a great case for NOT having a democracy. And hey! this site isn’t one. Its Keith’s. Just look how upset you are because you have no democratic voice to play or not to play agame.

Try ahving your loved ones tortured by invisible state forces and there’s no 999 (911) for you to call.

Grow up

13. US Williams Fan said on 21st April 2012, 7:21

Keith,
    you made the right call…… i commend you for it. whether the race goes on or not you have made the decision to not support this race in such turbulant times.

@all the others who have criticism for this idea……. while there are races in other parts of the world with widespread corruption…..murder etc. the gp is not, in any way shape or form, the cause of this. with the barhain gp – things are different…… tne grand prix of bahrain may be starting point for a new wave of bombs or government oppression.

here’s hoping to a safe race!

14. muz (@murray1964) said on 21st April 2012, 7:50

No problems for me canceling the Predictions.

On an entirely different subject does anyone think that this may be the beginning of the downfall of Bernie?

15. Guus (@guus_d) said on 21st April 2012, 8:18

Very strange decision. I thought this was a website about formula one, not about politics.

16. IDR (@idr) said on 21st April 2012, 8:41

I’m against Bahrain race and I’ve already stated this in many occasions, but for this one, I think you’re wrong Keith.
    If it is a matter of conscience, why not for China or Abu Dhabi, another two countries that are far from guarantee Universal Human Rights declaration. On the other hand, why only predictions and not live-blog and race articles also. (I’ve read your saying about China and I’ve found your reasons at least arguable)

I think Keith this site is about Formula One, just F1 Fanatics, that’s all.

17. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 21st April 2012, 8:51

IMO the decision is weird and as much as I greatly respect Keith and his right to so whatever he wants with his blog, I don’t support it. The blog is not boycotting the race itself, but it’s boycotting predictions competition? The predictions for me, as I’m not in position to speak for anyone else than myself, were the only thing in this weekend with some remaining fun factor, which didn’t remind of all the madness going on in Bahrain. Then again I think the decisions should be consistent and cancelling the predictions round should be a consequence of cancelling Bahrain GP coverage as a whole, not a last minute out of the blue quasi-boycott. Now it looks like a hardly understandable gesture. As the race coverage was not cancelled, so the predictions should not be.

18. GeorgeDaviesF1 (@georgedaviesf1) said on 21st April 2012, 9:02

I bet this will be the weekend when I get my predictions spot on!

19. Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 21st April 2012, 9:03

Jeez guys and girls. It’s Keith’s site, it’s a blog not journalism and it’s his call. He isn’t the BBC and I’d guess that many posters haven’t donated to F1F so what’s your problem? I can go both ways on arguments for and against but any criticism of the bloke who actually owns the blog is unfair. Agree, disagree – that’s up to you. If you have a problem get your own site and/or get over it. Spain awaits.

20. Maciek (@maciek) said on 21st April 2012, 9:45

Seems the right call to me. Playing for prizes based on an event that shouldn’t be going ahead don’t seem too right.

I can’t believe the immaturity level of people angry for having ‘their’ game taken away: a) it’s not your game to begin with, but something offered completely freely, at no effort or cost to you, with the chance of winning some really great prizes, all organized, set up, run, tabulated, etc etc etc by Keith; and b) if you can’t see why it’s wrong to hold the GP as if nothing was happening or to treat it as just another race, then your priorities are way out of whack and you’ve lived a far too sheltered life so far. ‘My fun, my fun, I want my fun and now you’ve ruined it for me.’ Sheesh.