Predictions Championship round cancelled for Bahrain

Predictions Championship

Valtteri Bottas, Williams, Bahrain, 2012The F1 Fanatic Predictions Championship round for the Bahrain Grand Prix has been cancelled.

Feedback from readers in the past 24 hours has made it overwhelmingly clear many do not consider it appropriate to run the competition given the events in Bahrain.

On reflection, I agree this is the correct course of action to take.

It retrospect, this is a decision I probably should have taken sooner. But better to make the right decision late in the day than not at all.

No points will be awarded for the Bahrain Grand Prix. The next round which will count towards the championship is the Spanish Grand Prix.

More on the situation in Bahrain this weekend:

Image ?é?® Williams/LAT

146 comments on Predictions Championship round cancelled for Bahrain

1 3 4 5
  1. Peter (@oldearl) said on 21st April 2012, 10:02

Interesting decision so now we are into taking sides and entering the realm of politics with a bit of morals thrown in.
    The Bahrain Royal family own 40% of Mclaren F1 the very regime that are offending so many in the West so over to you guys as to how we deal with this issue !

2. Woofie said on 21st April 2012, 10:04

Lots of twitter pics and reports of protester shot dead in the back last night. By the forces hired by the race promoters to patrol security.

3. xeroxpt (@) said on 21st April 2012, 10:07

Weird way to demonstrate something it’s even lesss understandable than passing hunger, not trashing just less than a drop in the ocean. Just noticed the 5 pages of complaints, maybe its a good way of protesting, anyway im usre that aint the full reason for this.

4. jvumix (@jvumix) said on 21st April 2012, 10:29

I get the feeling that when we finally get down to business tomorrow, its going to be a classic race. Mark my words. Incidentally, I come from a country where situation at times is close to Bahrain, but we’ve learnt to fight our battles internally, without seeking to injure/kill foreign visitors & tourists (read F1 teams) minding their business.

5. DavidYluva (@davidyluva) said on 21st April 2012, 10:31

I was out and rushed home but was disappointed to read that the prediction is off. I am in for F1 and the sports of which politics DO NOT and SHOULD NOT mixed.

I respect the stance taken, kudos Keith!

6. matthewf1 (@) said on 21st April 2012, 10:47

Stupid idea..what is the point of cancelling it? Basically you are saying you don’t agree with the race, in which case you shouldn’t be reporting on the race at all.

7. Avalon (@avalon) said on 21st April 2012, 11:21

Good decision… I have said all week that the race shouldn’t go ahead!! I know others don’t necessarily agree, but given the nature of the violence I respect your stance Keith. (Realistically, we should all stand united in supporting this decision – it may make them appreciate what the true F1 fanatics really feel about the decision to proceed with the race…)

8. Jon Finn (@jon-finn) said on 21st April 2012, 11:38

I’m definitely a supporter of this decision Kieth

9. smudgersmith1 (@smudgersmith1) said on 21st April 2012, 11:57

fine by me, now I read a protester killed overnight…Bad call by Todt and Ecclestone

1 3 4 5