Questions over invisible Force Indias in qualifying coverage

2012 Bahrain Grand Prix

Paul di Resta, Force India, Bahrain, 2012The Force India team were conspicuous by their absence to anyone watching TV coverage of today’s qualifying session.

The world television feed produced by Formula One Management featured no substantial footage of either driver during the session.

This was despite Paul di Resta advancing as far as the final stage of qualifying.

Force India did not run in the second practice session yesterday as the team made arrangements to ensure they left the circuit before nightfall.

This came after members of their team were caught up in a petrol bomb attack earlier in the week. Two members of the team chose to return home afterwards.

This prompted speculation that the lack of coverage of their cars in qualifying was retribution by FOM – something which is understood to have happened with other teams in the past.

Tensions continue to rise in Bahrain following further violent clashes between protesters and security forces. The Bahraini opposition blamed the government for the death of a man yesterday.

2012 Bahrain Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Force India/Sutton

144 comments on Questions over invisible Force Indias in qualifying coverage

1 2 3
  1. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 21st April 2012, 13:47

It’d be hilarious if a Force India won tomorrow. Bernie will probably force the Bahrain directors to erase the entire race off tape and create a graphical race of a Mac/RB/Merc winning. :P

2. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 21st April 2012, 13:49

I’m going to reserve judgment until tomorrow, see how it goes then. We always complain about FOM’s coverage so I want to see if this is an honest oversight or something more sinister. If it’s the latter, that really is a poor do. They clearly don’t understand the power of social media.

• hawkii (@hawkii) said on 21st April 2012, 17:09

Either way, this post currently has as many comments as the Vettel pole article does. If the intention was to punish Force India with zero coverage, it has spectacularly backfired. Ask people about Bahrain quali in a months time and I bet half of them couldn’t tell you who made Q3, but almost all of them would be able to tell you what happened to Force India.

Bernie really doesn’t “get” the internet.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 21st April 2012, 18:31

@hawkii That’s what surprises me so much. We know he’s not exactly quick to embrace new technology but this would be just absurd.

• xeroxpt (@) said on 21st April 2012, 22:21

Force India sponsors are basically Force India footage cover usually grants new and better sponsorships if you dont get to tv you will lost hipotetically millions on sponsorship, especially when the products advertised arent really tweeting matter.

• sid_prasher (@) said on 21st April 2012, 19:41

I agree. I did notice the miss but really didnt think of it too much until i started seeing the tweets. We ll see how it goes tomorrow but if indeed this is intentional then it is a very cheap.

3. Robert McKay said on 21st April 2012, 13:50

Seems blatantly obvious that Force India got a bit of a message today.

Ridiculous.

• Nick.UK (@) said on 21st April 2012, 13:54

I noticed this while watching and put it to my friends that it might have had something to do with their abscence in FP2. Although I kind of dissmissed it as a genuine reason and put it down to a cooincidence, but hearing that this type of thing has allegedley happend before makes me think that maybe it was deliberate. If it is true, it’s a pathetic and pety way to dish out some ‘revenge’. As Andrew says above, we’ll see how tomorrow goes for them.

4. Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 21st April 2012, 13:50

I don’t get the hoohah about this, they’ve been invisible all season. By all means take up issue with that, not just because they’ve got on their bad side and there’s suddenly a reason for it…

• lee1 said on 21st April 2012, 22:09

lotus virgin and hrt have been more invisible this season in terms of race pace but they got more coverage today than force india.

5. Speculation on twitter is not evidence that something has happened.

• lordhesketh (@lordhesketh) said on 21st April 2012, 14:39

It is if you’re pushing an agenda.

• Damn right there’s an agenda. People appear to be sick and tired of the manipulation of F1 by certain individuals.

We have an FIA who sanctioned the use of slogans “uniF1ed = one nation in celebration”, a slogan that was propose and run from February. This is clearly in breach of article 1
        of the FIA statute.

Ecclestone is under criminal investigation around the aquisition of the rights for F1 and sale to CVC. $1m a year to buy them from his mate head of the FIA. He is a present trying to sell these rights for $10billion.

The bullying tactics ove the concorde agreements are a matter of historical fact, and are happening again this year.

The decision by the FIA to go to Bahrain has been proven ridculous, the world’s media has had a field day in criticising F1 this weekend.

Ross Brawn has gone on record today saying, “it is important for the sport to ask whether they did the right thing coming here racing”. If it was clear there was no problem with the decision, why suggest this?

These people (Ecclestone and Todt) have to be removed from positions of authority in our fantastic sport. The sooner the better.

And the social media is taken vary seriously in these times – capable of applying pressure from the otherwise silent majority. Cf. the arab spring, Iran the year before.

It is our right to comment. It is our right to expect fairness and justice within our sport. It is our duty to speak out.

• infy (@infy) said on 21st April 2012, 14:50

Writers on this site believe anything and feel free to use it to push their own agendas.

Some one died in Bahrain… bias OPPOSITION claim it was due to the government. How on earth can we take anything like that seriously when the source is as bias as can be?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 21st April 2012, 14:56

@infy The article makes the nature of the claim quite clear so I don’t know what you’re objecting to there. In this situation it could take time before the exact details of the death are confirmed and verified – particularly as the government will not want to admit to killing a protester on a race weekend.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 21st April 2012, 15:03

What are the chances that a protester who is suspiciously dead wasn’t killed by the notoriously harsh security forces, who have past form of killing civilians? Maybe it was sufficiently provoked, maybe it wasn’t. But my mind is mostly made up on who killed him.

• Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 21st April 2012, 23:24

Libya was a good example where a number of old scores between people were settled under the cover of the insurgency.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 21st April 2012, 23:52

Perhaps, and I sort of hope that this is the same thing, as it would be worse for the country if I’m right. But given the past year, I’m inclined to jump to what for me is the most obvious conclusion, and will gladly look a fool if it’s proved to have nothing to do with the security forces in the end.

• lee1 said on 21st April 2012, 20:05

I take it you are a Bahrain official then? The death of a protestor in a country that has already killed so many of its own people and has openly used tear gas and stun grenades on protestors suggests that it is entirely possible that the brutal police were invloved.

• thejudge13 said on 21st April 2012, 20:45

I have spent just 30 minutes a day following for the past week following #Bahrain. Much of the contribution is in arabic but a fair bit is in English.

Times and dates and places are even listed

I have seen scores and scores of different pictures and videos showing everything from dead children/adults, to bodies shredded by shotgun pellets, videos that have shocked me with the clear brutality of the violence committed by security forces on civilians.

Try it. NOT for the fainthearted.

• The irony of some UK #F1 fans complaining about lack of support for protesters in Bahrain is rich. Brits living under a constitutional monarchy suggesting that disgruntled Bahrainis be supported in a subversive quest to overthrow *their* constitutional monarchy is priceless.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 21st April 2012, 22:55

I don’t really think you understand anything about either country if you make a comment like that.

• Alex W said on 22nd April 2012, 11:01

Mate, Queen Liz SERVES THE PEOPLE, she has no dictatorial powers!

You could argue that it is rich for Westerners to complain because Western governments are not helping the people, same in Syria, all us 1st worlders should feel some shame.

6. If Force India makes it to the podium tomorrow, they will just show Nicole Scherzinger.

7. PJ (@pjtierney) said on 21st April 2012, 13:57

There was a gem of a tweet from EliGP I believe:

If I were Force India, I’d use shortcuts during the whole race.

8. rUN_FOR_IT_SCOOBY said on 21st April 2012, 13:58

If I was paying big dollars to put my company on the side of that car I’d definitely be looking at F1’s contractual
    obligations.

• What about Force India’s contractual obligations to THEIR sponsors? …something it would seem they failed to meet by running away and hiding rather than participating in a scheduled, televised practice session. Serves them right and it’s great to see the powers-that-be squishing an uppity team as an example to others.

9. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 21st April 2012, 13:58

Hope they really complain about it. It wasn’t normal… I remember seeing all the teams today, except Force India, a team which, surprise surprise, chose to leave the track early during friday.

• bobo (@bobo) said on 21st April 2012, 14:27

If these suspicions are proved right we will have to accept that FOM and the FIA are consciously lending political support to the regime. There is no other way of interpreting such behaviour.

• MIke Fuller said on 21st April 2012, 20:02

I wouldn’t go as far as to say they are backing the regime. I think it is far simpler than that; FOM and Bernie made the decision to race so they could claim the “fee”. Force India are being punished for daring to go against Bernie’s decision to pretend everything is OK and therefore to race. But whatever you think of Bernie he did not get so rich by being naiive.

If Force India want to get even their car(s) have to do something that means Bernie and FOM cannot omit them – winning the race, breaking the rules, or taking one of the front runners out.

As someone already said, Sponsors of Force India might have a claim to make against Bernie and the race organisers.

10. matt90 (@matt90) said on 21st April 2012, 14:01

something which is understood to have happened with other teams in the past

Any more info on that other than a vague rumour? I’m not saying it hasn’t happened and isn’t happening now, but unless that tweeter is actually qualified to comment- I hardly know as I have never heard of him before- that seems like a funny inclusion in the article compared to the normal quality of sources.

Of course if it is true then it is absolutely shocking, and further evidence that this race is actually more political in being run than if it had been cancelled. The temerity of a team to encounter a dangerous situation and then try and do right by its employees, having been put in such a position by Ecclestone and the FIA! Shame!

The funniest thing was in practice yesterday when Ecclestone was interviewed- he said he’d personally offered to run with Force India back from the circuit after FP2, without a police escort. Because that’s all the defence you need- a frail old man who seems to think he’s immortal and that people should feel safe merely being in his presence as he can extend his Godly protection over those in his company.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 21st April 2012, 14:04

@matt90 He’s an accredited F1 journalist. But he wouldn’t be drawn on which team:

Also added this:

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 21st April 2012, 14:10

Thanks for that, Keith. It still sounds like hearsay without any other source/s, although it certainly adds credit to the rumour. I’d love to know what information he’s holding back!

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 21st April 2012, 14:25

@keithcollantine Very cryptic! It’d be entertaining if the connotations weren’t of utter corruption. Thanks for all this Keith, great reporting as always.

Speculation: trying to think who caused an obvious upset in the time I’ve been watching- maybe Renault as some kind of crash-gate fallout. Although I wonder if it means there’s a deeper political story buried, being concorde related or some other factor of the internal working of F1.

• Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 21st April 2012, 14:27

Take note: he said, “name of the team”. So they were there in a different guise before.

I dunno why, but I’m guessing Jordan or Minardi.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 21st April 2012, 14:34

@journeyer Yeah, that’s why I didn’t suspect McLaren for spygate for instance. Nay idea why you suspect Jordan and Minardi? I don’t recall any notable stories about ether.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 21st April 2012, 14:38

*Any

• Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 21st April 2012, 14:47

@matt90 I doubt it’s Renault because they clearly showed Grosjean spinning at Singapore FP1 at the exact same spot Piquet did.

Jordan and Minardi are perfect because they are both outspoken teams, but are generally backmarkers (especially from late 2003-2005) and are unmissed when the midfield show up.

One good reason it could be Minardi is that they fought against teams rejecting the fighting fund bid – Stoddy even had that presscon blowup in Canada 2003.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 21st April 2012, 15:20

Tried to find out about that incident. Couldn’t find anything on youtube unfortunately, but I did find this:
            I wish they hadn’t become Toro Rosso.

• CarsVsChildren (@carsvschildren) said on 21st April 2012, 15:24

@matt90 exactly. The “journalist” in question has done the twitter equivalent of the “OMG I can’t believe what happened, but I don’t wanna talk about it” posts my 15 year old cousin makes on facebook.

If you don’t wanna open a can of worms, don’t tweet about it in the first place.

• Robert McKay said on 21st April 2012, 14:30

Jordan and Minardi were my first thoughts too…particularly with Stoddart making waves as much as he did during his time.

• Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 21st April 2012, 14:35

Yeah I’d say Minardi, Stoddart always said what he thought and caused a few ripples…

• Toro Stevo (@toro-stevo) said on 21st April 2012, 15:09

Probably Minardi when there was that argument about using previous years cars’ bits in Australia (2004-2005?). They didn’t take part in some practice sessions that weekend, similar to Force India this weekend.

Being a Minardi fan, it was hard to get coverage of them at the best of times, but I can’t remember if it was any worse that year or not.

• foleyger (@foleyger) said on 21st April 2012, 16:25

I may be wrong but were Arrows not shown when they deliberately failed to qualify at the French GP in 2002?

• GT_Racer said on 21st April 2012, 16:27

It wasn’t minardi as they were already gone by the time we took over the coverage of most races.

I was at FOM from 97-07 & can honestly not recall any team been left off our broadcast’s in that time.
            There was talk of leaving Arrows off the F1 Digital+ broadcast in 2002 after they played there games in qualifying for the French Gp, However that never actually happened.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 21st April 2012, 20:29

@keithcollantine I’d love to see GT_Racer’s comment put to Adam Hay-Nicholls to see if he had a reply (I don’t have twitter myself, although I have been keeping tabs on several F1 journalists open, including Adam Cooper who just said that he saw a fire roadblock).

• MattW said on 22nd April 2012, 1:26

Bernie has already shown how well he can handle himself in a dicey situation

11. F1_WI (@f1_wi) said on 21st April 2012, 14:07

If there is any shred of truth to this, I will have lost what little respect I did have for F1 leadership.

12. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 21st April 2012, 14:12

Wonder when Vijay Mallya will stick his oar in about all this? (or the Sahara guy, whichever one is team principal now)

Presumably he is away at the Indian Premier League or something, which is of course a pure sporting contest and nothing to do with money.

• Aditya said on 21st April 2012, 14:24

Lol,are you Indian/do you watch the IPL??? Or do i sense sarcasm in the last line of your comment??

• josephrobert (@josephrobert) said on 21st April 2012, 14:26

IPL is pretty amazing, Vijay was there on wednesday. There’s a match live everying evening (gmt) on itv4. There;s one on right now, good entertainment

• Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 21st April 2012, 15:50

Yeah, I’ve seen a few of them, and watching it now. I love the way Kevin Pietersen’s wearing a mic while he’s fielding, chatting away with the commentator! Never seen that before.

They should try that in F1, during the safety cars or whatever. I know Ben Edwards talked to them in BTCC. Would be great to hear the drivers nearer the heat of battle, away from their PR minders, they might even say what they really think…

13. snowman (@snowman) said on 21st April 2012, 14:15

I don’t recall seeing them on the TV feed for final practice either. Message is as always you don’t bust Bernie’s balls and expect to get away with it.

14. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 21st April 2012, 14:18

Di Resta didn’t do a lap. And if he did, he went out and set some sector times before returning to the pits. Who wants to see that?

Of all the teams this year, I think Force India have received the least coverage. We see very little of them, the HRTs, and the Toro Rosso, unless Vergne or Ricciardo puts in a good lap at the end of Q2. We haven’t seen much of Kobayashi this year, either.

• Robert McKay said on 21st April 2012, 14:22

It’s not so much the Q3 stage.

In Q1 and Q2 they were both the first two cars to set times and were running around in the opening minutes with noone else on track. FOM chose to look through all the garages for several minutes, watch Narain and Pedro walking down the pitlane, and finally once one other car was on track go to them to watch their outlap, regardless of the fact that FI were doing hotlaps.

There is no doubt in my mind at all that FOM deliberately avoided focusing on a Force India today.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 22nd April 2012, 0:35

The opening laps of Q1 are generally just drivers doing banker laps. Nothing really exciting happens until about five minutes from the end.

• dkpioe said on 21st April 2012, 14:40

while like you said “unless Vergne or Ricciardo puts in a good lap at the end of Q2″, well in this case Di Resta got 5th in q2, but nothing was shown when it should have.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 22nd April 2012, 0:40

Paul di Resta was not the only driver to make it through to Q3 with his final lap. Ricciardo, Perez, Alonso, Grosjean and Raikkonen (even though he was then knocked out) all managed it. FOM didn’t show Grosjean’s lap until he emerged on the front straight; does Bernie have a grudge against Lotus?

I think it is far more likely that with so many drivers on fast laps, the TV director had to decide which drivers to show. And with Ricciardo, Perez, Alonso and Grosjean all setting laps in quick succession, the obvious choice was to show them. With di Resta out of sequence, it was more exciting to watch everyone else.

15. Mallesh Magdum (@malleshmagdum) said on 21st April 2012, 14:23

FOM have set a very bad precedent. This certainly won’t attract new entities to F1. Running a Formula One team is already expensive and we wont see a new team if FOM behaves in this manner

• Dude, seriously? If anyone set a “bad precedent” it was Force India, by refusing to run in practice, whining about overblown concerns for their quote-unquote safety, and then not even having the guts to stick by that and instead backtracking and claiming that they didn’t participate b/c they’d already achieved all of their sporting goals in the previous session. Yeah right! Good on FOM for giving a beat-down to those jokers – if in fact that’s what happened. Everybody in F1 better row in the same direction if they want to keep lining their pockets, b/c there’s no room for dissent.

1 2 3