Rate the race: 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix

What did you think of the Bahrain Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (8%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (4%)
  • 6 (10%)
  • 7 (24%)
  • 8 (27%)
  • 9 (14%)
  • 10 (8%)

Total Voters: 699

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

267 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix

1 2 3 8
  1. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:46

1. People getting killed, protests, horrible comments across the weekend from lots of people in F1, and the opposition being ignored completely and kept away from the track at all costs. I’ve also lost respect for a lot of people I’ve admired in the past and I wish I didn’t have to. Easily the worst F1 Grand Prix weekend I’ve ever experienced in my entire life. So glad it’s over, but I’m so disappointed in F1.

Oh, the race was a bit of a farce too with that DRS zone.

• sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:57

You chose to watch the race.

I respect your opinion on Bahrain – and there aren’t any of us here who endorse what is happening in the country. But you watched it so rate it on what you watched.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:03

I watched a bunch of pro-regime monarchists throwing a giant party while just over the fence people are oppressed. I saw the sport I love used as a force for evil. I believe my rating is completely justified.

• (@damonsmedley I completely agree with you!

Sport should be used as a tool to help unite people of different backgrounds and heritages, not as a propoganda tool of a murderous regime..

• bfo (@bfo) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:27

And yet F1 has nothing to do with internal politics of Bahrein. And if you knew what was happening there and why, you would know better then to say that F1 was a propaganda tool for a murderous regime!

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 22nd April 2012, 16:04

Eh, I’m done with it. People clearly still seem to think the race was a good thing…

• thejudge13 said on 22nd April 2012, 16:45

bfo (@bfo) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:27
            And yet F1 has nothing to do with internal politics of Bahrein.

And had the people who run our fantastic sport no allowed one side to promote their views of the Bahraini situation with the slogans “uniF1ed – one nation in celebration” and “back on track”, you may have some sort of point

• IDR (@idr) said on 23rd April 2012, 7:14

“…a propaganda tool for a murderous regime…”

I don’t support what is happening in Bahrain, but honestly talking I think F1 event works better as a marketing tool for the opposition than for the Government.

How many of us would know anything about what is happening in Bahrain if F1 were not racing there? Near to none.

• Shane (@shane-pinnell) said on 23rd April 2012, 18:16

That comment could apply to any number of races, in almost every country that they race in…

• Mike (@mike) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:09

Didn’t watch it. Won’t vote.

• Ady (@ady) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:00

I think blaming the crew isn’t fair. If a wheel nut gets cross threaded then they can’t stop that from happening from the pit lane. They need to look at the design of the nut and thread, I would have thought by now someone would have come up with a better way then nut and bolts anyway (like a quick release / rivit mechanism).

• Younger Hamii (@younger-hamii) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:03

I’m so sorry & I do really feel for those harmed & the lives tragically lost in the protests & chaos in the country but can we just keep politics & activism out of today’s articles please & comment on how the racing was today, if you don’t like it then go & comment on the articles relevant to it. Meanwhile, the race was top-notch compared to previous races in Bahrain. Gutsy stuff from Hamilton on Rosberg by the way & a stunning performance both Vettel & the Lotus boys, Congrats to Grosjean on his first podium in F1 8/10 i’d say if not 9 although i went for 8.

• chris said on 22nd April 2012, 15:15

“I’m so sorry & I do really feel for those harmed & the lives tragically lost in the protests & chaos in the country but can we just keep politics & activism out of today’s articles”.
        Maybe that will change when the nausea wears off, maybe not.
        The victims of the Bahraini butchers don’t get to “leave politics … out of today”.
        PS: Didn’t watch the race. Considering abandoning F1 until the current disgusting crop of selfish elitists are gone. Disillusioned by the entire pack of them, from the nasty little troll down to my (once) favorite drivers. Even should I watch another race, I no longer call myself an F1 fan, and can’t seem to bring myself to give a damn about who wins the championship, or about the driver and team I once followed so enthusiastically.

• People can do something. Regiater your opinion with the sponsors. Tell them you will boycott their products because of their part in promoting this weekend. Some twitter accounts for you

@puma @alpinestars @pepejeans @gilletteuk @microsoft @intel @redbull @shell @hiltonworldwide @reebok @lenovo_uk @lucozade @monsterenergy

• chris said on 22nd April 2012, 15:54

Sorry, the website chopped out the bulk of my reply, making it completely incoherent. Will try to post again ….

• chris said on 22nd April 2012, 16:04

“I’m so sorry … but can we just keep politics & activism out of today’s articles”.
        The victims of the Bahraini butchers don’t get to “keep politics … out of today”.

Didn’t watch the race. Considering abandoning F1 until the current disgusting crop of selfish elitists are gone. Disillusioned by the entire pack of them, from the 2 dwarves at the top down to my (once) favorite drivers. Even should I watch another race, I no longer call myself an F1 fan, and can’t seem to bring myself to give a damn about who wins the championship, or about the driver and team I once followed so enthusiastically.

Maybe that will change when the nausea wears off, maybe not.

• Stretch (@stretch) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:06

Not over till F1 has left Bahrain….

• F1fanNL (@) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:07

This is rate the race, not rate the country or it’s regime…

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:08

@f1fannl If people didn’t enjoy the race because of what’s going on in Bahrain and F1′s political endorsement of the regime in the country, that’s their opinion and they’re as entitled to their view as you are.

• DT (@dt) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:16

@keith its true people are entitled to their opinion but there is a time and place for that. The topic is rate the race not race the country! F1 has a contract with the organisers of the race and they decided to honour their contractual obligation. There are other companies our there who are still doing work for the regime.. it doesn’t necessarily mean they are in support of what is going on. Not entirely sure about F1’s political endorsement of the regime though.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:21

This is a poll on how entertaining people found the race. If people didn’t enjoy the race because of the circumstances around the race, then that may affect their rating.

• Any chance we can do a historic rate the race on the pre-F1 Grand Prix?

I can’t wait to read the comments for the 1939 German Grand Prix where Carcciola celebrates his win for the German Government funded Mercedes with a Nazi salute. It was his last grand prix win, his 6th German GP win, his first in a year in a team where his team mate Lang was favoured, one where the original rain master, arguably the greatest driver of the pre-war era, used the conditions skilfully at the revered Nurburgring. On track the race was brilliant, but does the political background change our appreciation of the feat?

• Younger Hamii (@younger-hamii) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:19

True, they’re entitled to their opinions & I’m all for individual views & the recognition they deserve but it’s unfair that they’re criticizing the great racing we’ve seen today because of the politics going on outside of the Sport, it’s absurd putting two & two together to judge HOW THE RACE WENT. Honestly, People should just keep the two subjects apart.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:25

Quite simply, it wasn’t an enjoyable race at all. I think I could have enjoyed it under normal circumstances, but it didn’t matter what happened, I couldn’t get excited. My worst experience since I started watching F1, hence a 1/10.

• Mike (@mike) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:26

Did you read what Keith wrote?

• Keith, sorry to nit-pick, but does the circumstances around the race include abysmal TV coverage and can viewers rate the race based on that? I sure think TV coverage is most part of the race since all cannot go or afford to go to a race in person.

The TV is the one that shows them the race and if that is not satisfying, then can it be reflected on the ratings?

I, for one believe that a good race shouldn’t have it’s numbers skewed because of the happenings outside the track.

• sid_prasher (@) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:32

I cant believe @keithcollantine you are justifying this…by that argument anyone can vote 1 if their favorite driver didn’t win…there is no attempt at objectivity left then.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 22nd April 2012, 16:06

That doesn’t bear comparison at all – for the reasons explained in the article.

• falken (@falken) said on 22nd April 2012, 20:40

That’s fine – all the people who only vote min or max depending on one driver will be drowned out by anyone who posts in between values. That’s how statistics works.

• bananarama (@bananarama) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:41

My hypothetical dislike of Ecclestone affects my rating. My dislike for Vettel affects my rating. My dislike for Vettel winning a race affects my rating. Yet if I rate the race lower for how the Bahraini government performs it is ok, but a lower rating becase of how a driver I dislike performed is not.

Don’t get me wrong, I want everyone to express their opinions and rate however they like, I just think it doesn’t serve the purpose of the poll. I personally chose not to vote at all.

• smudgersmith1 (@smudgersmith1) said on 22nd April 2012, 19:04

Sorry I think Keith has a point I hated this race being held thought it was ‘terrible” and voted so, who are you to decide the ‘ purpose’ of the race. We are all different

• bfo (@bfo) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:44

@keith I think that there should be separation of politics from F1. I know what is happening in Bahrain, and it’s much different from the situation, that was happening last year. And people don’t understand that all out governments would act like this when dealing with aggressive protests, that throw Molotov’s to prove their point. People were killed on 2011 England riots, and similar protests. And the history of F1 has a lot of troublesome races,

Still I enjoyed the race, and good sport! Can’t wait for Spain! :)

• Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:46

Keith, it’s your forum here, but it’s Rate The Race not Rate the situation.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 22nd April 2012, 16:58

Luckily I don’t suffer from a false sense of self righteousness.

The situation in Bahrein has always been poor. The elite control everything and it’s citizens never had a say in the matter. It’s been like that for years. Nobody here had anything to say before 2011 and in between the 2011 GP and this GP but now that Bahrein is a hot topic again everybody jumps to moral high ground and pretends to be the ever so understanding and supportive saints they’d like other people believe them to be…

Sorry, but I won’t be joining the hypocrisy.

Where are the cries for all the other oppressed citizens around the globe? Where were the protests against the Chinese GP last weekend. Why is there no objection against going to Russia next year. I could go on and on…

Personally, I have better things to do than try and make myself look righteous on twitter and facebook and other social media.

I’ll probably get a lot of hate for saying this but at least I’m being honest in admitting that I didn’t care about the situation between March 2011 and April 2012 so I don’t see any reason why I should care now.

• Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 22nd April 2012, 18:08

@F1fanNL Well said! +1

• Jonathan189 (@jonathan189) said on 22nd April 2012, 18:30

“To care about Serious Problem X would be hypocritical when Serious Problem Y is just as bad. But no one has enough time care about all of the world’s problems. Therefore I will be consistent by not caring about any of them.”

This is a terrible argument — unfortunately it is very common.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 22nd April 2012, 18:51

That’s not the argument I’m making.

Many protesters here didn’t mention Bahrein once before the situation became a daily news topic and will not care or mention it anymore once F1 goes to Europe. Just like they didn’t last year.

Now that Bahrein is a hot topic they jump on the boo train and shout “Look at me, I’m morally sound!”

The hypocrisy is appalling.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 22nd April 2012, 19:09

Perhaps because this is an F1 site? People might be concerned about Syria, but they wouldn’t shout about it here unless it became a proper topic of conversation. If F1 announced a North Korean GP, I imagine there would be lot of debate about the country. But would we be wrong to do so because we hadn’t chosen to discuss the country here even when it was a non(F1)-issue? No, of course not. So keep your accusations of hypocrisy to yourself please.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 23rd April 2012, 2:32

@F1fanNL I’m not sure if you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds. Why would anyone comment on articles that have nothing to do with Bahrain about Bahrain? It’s only since Bahrain has been covered that anyone has commented on it. Makes sense, yes?

And self-righteousness? Suppose it’s better than being completely insensitive and self-centred. I love F1 as much as the next guy, but if you think a race is more important than human life, then I genuinely believe you have your priorities wrong.

Also, everyone knows that the “China argument” is well and truly debunked now. It bears zero resemblance to the situation in Bahrain. If you’ve not read the news surrounding Bahrain — fair enough. But I’d advise you to stay away from discussing it until you have, because your argument is flawed in just about every way I can think of.

And calling people self-righteous because they disagree with you is a bit childish. One could say the same about you after everything you’ve attempted to argue.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 23rd April 2012, 23:02

@damonsmedley

(The situation in) Bahrein has been mentioned in round-ups in the past. At that time nobody voiced their opinion anywhere near as strongly as most are doing right now.

You may think I’m insensitive, I really couldn’t care less about your opinion right now. As for the race being more important than human life, nobody was killed to enable the GP to go ahead as planned. This was just another race that happened to be in a country where not every citizen has the same rights and privileges. The only reason this got so much heat is because it’s F1. Nobody made a peep during the different (major) sporting events prior to this GP.

Citizens are being oppressed and silenced. The same goes for China. So much for zero resemblance.

Like I said, I don’t care what you think of me. Unlike you who seems to care a great deal about what people think.

Nothing personal, you’re not the only one on this earth who worries about how people look at them. I just don’t get people who only ‘care’ about something when it’s a hot topic and then just move on with their lives afterwards as if nothing has happened.

Btw, if all the people who pretend to care so much really did care they would have done more than just turn off the TV on Sunday afternoon (or in most cases, change the channel without a care in the world).

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 24th April 2012, 9:51

@F1FanNL

Not as many did, no. But that’s understandable as not as many knew about it. But it was clear from as early as January that the race should have been cancelled.

Unfortunately, these events were so “major” that no-one knew they were even happening.

Well, someone was killed over the weekend, actually. And we don’t know if it was an F1-inspired protest that caused it. But F1 has certainly caused a huge amount of tension and violence which could have been avoided.

There were police and security forces keeping everyone away from the track and out of Manama so F1 personnel wouldn’t come across anything other than pleasant and smiling pro-F1 locals. Some naive people in F1 seem to have fallen for it, but the majority saw through it. Journalists were reprimanded and many were taken aside and given a good talking to for mentioning everything happening outside the track. One protester that died earlier had his body withheld from his family until the Grand Prix was finished. It’s all very disgusting and calling this weekend anything other than a complete failure and disaster would be lying.

The government in China don’t use the race to pull the wool over the world’s eyes. Bahrain was completely politicised (UniF1ed/one nation in celebration/back on track) by the monarchy and no-one said anything. It’s clearly in breach of article 1 of the FIA’s statutes. I’ve no idea how that resembles China, where oppression and torture has nothing to do with F1 and where F1 doesn’t actually affect how the people are treated.

Yep, and I’m sorry for being a bit over-the-top in my previous post. I realised it was a bit aggressive/personal later on but it’s not you I’m angry at even if I completely disagree. :-)

• Ilanin said on 22nd April 2012, 20:47

Right, but it diminishes the poll’s usefulness from the perspective of evaluating the circuits, which is how you generally use them.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 22nd April 2012, 20:51

You can slice data like this in various ways. It can tell us more than just which tracks produce good races, so I’m not concerned about that.

For example, the low score for Germany 2010 shows that people generally don’t like it when the race leader is told to pull over and let his team mate win.

• Brolloks (@brolloks) said on 23rd April 2012, 8:38

@keithcollantine In that case I am going to give every European GP a rating of “terrible” because I loathe the idea of Liberal Democracy, and the permission of those countries to let themselves be overrun by hordes of Turks, Arabs and North Africans, and permitting gay marriages, etc. That would be just plain pathetic – in other words, that would make me not enjoy Webber and Alonso gunning it through Eau Rouge? I would make an idiot out of myself. You people should just get of your high horses.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 23rd April 2012, 8:54

I agree that would be a foolish point of view. But I don’t agree that it’s analogous to not being able to enjoy a race in the knowledge that the people of a country are being suppressed in order for the race to happen.

• DT (@dt) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:09

You were asked to rate the race not rate the country’s political situation.l Despite all this you chose to watch the race so rate it and move on!

• bfo (@bfo) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:15

F1 has nothing to do with the internal problems in the Bahrein. F1 was held in other places where were protests and similar things. Race was a solid 7 or 7,5. Pretty interesting and a great performance from Lotus, happy for them.

• Alfred (@afya) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:16

Are you saying that they should let those protestors come in the circuit and ruin everything? How does human right and anti-government relate to F1 in the first place? Just because the government support the race? I am so disappointed in that so called “human right organisation”.

That said, I rated 6 because of the lack of overtaking. “Vettel style” isn’t the problem as a race like the Chinese GP can still be exciting when Rosberg drove away. I expected Maclaren to have a much better result, but Lotus is a surprise (well, they are good but I don’t expect that good especially Kimi from 11>2)

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:24

A pity that the rating should be given to the Grand Prix, not to the FIA’s or FOM’s decisions, not on the surrondings of the circuit and what the personnel does outside of the sessions.

• xxiinophobia (@xxiinophobia) said on 22nd April 2012, 23:49

@fixy For that very reason I’m eagerly awaiting the next installment of Jean Todt’s Approval Rating. Do we still get those articles here?

I’m completely disgusted with the FIA and FOM for this race happening. I elected not to watch the race and if F1’s powers that be continue to act in such a manner I may be forced to tune out of Formula One. I will not tolerate Ecclestone, Todt, and Co. standing idly by. I’ve never much cared for Ecclestone, but I am quite disappointed in Jean Todt. I liked him quite a bit when he was running Ferrari, and when he became President of FIA I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt even though I didn’t believe he was the right person for the job. Now I’m struggling to locate any respect I had for him. I’m ashamed for Formula One and it’s high time for at the very least Ecclestone to be replaced.

• Will (@willholdsworth) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:27

In all due respect mate….. I grew up in Bahrain and spent 27 years there, The unrest has been happening there since 1993…. So because a country has its issues, we shouldnt have a sport there? So we shouldnt have had any of the Bahrain grand prixs if that is what your saying. The only reason that this is been put all out of proportion is because of the media. Maybe we should stop the F1 in brazil because of the Button issue last year, or maybe stop china f1 because they have to much poverty? F1 is is about racing not about a countries issues….

• bfo (@bfo) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:48

Bravo, that is what I was trying to say! :) Just bravo!

• A la Syria, Lybia, Egypt, Tunisia…. Its always been this way so that’s okay then?

Twitter was a huge part in the changes in Egypt, Tunisia and Lybia, so maybe its the times we live in that give silent majority’s a voice

• You’re talking about a sport which once had a race go ahead when the top driver of the day was kidnapped by dissidents days before the race!

• Ilanin said on 22nd April 2012, 20:48

False. Well, sort of. The 1958 Cuban Grand Prix was a sportscar race, not an F1 event.

• DVC said on 23rd April 2012, 2:35

The sport is motor sport, or more specifically grand prix racing, even though the Cuban race was not an F1 event it was still a Grand Prix, but I take your point.

• Jonathan189 (@jonathan189) said on 22nd April 2012, 18:33

You’re right, we shouldn’t hold grands prix in China or Bahrain. But holding the race this year — during serious civil unrest in which people have been killed — was taking things to a new level of moral bankruptcy.

• DVC said on 23rd April 2012, 2:36

It was hardly a new level. See comments made above.

• Bobby Balboa said on 23rd April 2012, 19:13

OK so we’ve cancelled Bahrain for oppression & now China for poverty. Lets then be fair to people all over the world & apply this model to the rest of the races . . .

That leaves us with only the oil rich states . . . oh wait we already cancelled those didn’t we?

So that makes this the last F1 season ever . . . well it is 2012 I guess

• lucho19 (@lucho19) said on 22nd April 2012, 22:38

@will: Well said! Finally somebody who grew-up in Bahrain and not the moralistic thinkers that give their opinion based on distorted media reports. Guys: just make sure you have facts!

Congrats to Lotus. It was very unfortunate Kimi could not really put pressure on the “finger man” (Vettel, just please stop pointing the finger like that!)

• Mark (@marlarkey) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:29

The race was great…. I understand your concerns but F1 has frequently been held in countries with difficult political situations… this is at the extreme end of the scale but don’t forget that F1 has been held in countries like China (still is) – South Africa during Apartheid – Argentina during the military junta period.

• Dirk said on 23rd April 2012, 7:22

BRILLIANT argument! With abhorrent precedence’s like those you mentioned I feel FIA, FOM and the illustrious sponsors are simply continuing a proud tradition of complete moral bankruptcy. And long may it persist! I commend all those that argue so passionately for their right to be ENTERTAINED!!! regardless of the human cost (to others of course) or absence of scruples in justifying such entertainment.
        Oh, and let’s not forget: (making very earnest and serious face now) Contracts where signed! Sooo… alas… (sigh… snigger) it HAD to proceed, despite some faux (sorry …REAL hehehe) concerns about human rights, a bit of torture, murder and democracy kinda stuff, whateva blah blah.

Wasn’t the racing just fabulous, chaps :) 10 out of 10
        Hip hip hurray!

• Mark (@marlarkey) said on 23rd April 2012, 12:58

My point is about consistency…

All those criticising the Bahrain GP… why aren’t you also criticising the Chinese P ? Or some of the others (Abu Dhabi, Brazil, Malaysia) ?

This is the difficulty of mixing sport and politics… where do you draw the line and how do you maintain consistency in your political stance.

• Shane (@shane-pinnell) said on 23rd April 2012, 18:12

So where should they hold F1 races? Every race is held in a country that is doing something that offends someone else. Maybe not to the same degree as Bahrain, but maybe not that far off either.

• Mark (@marlarkey) said on 23rd April 2012, 19:09

Exactly… which is why you need to take the politics out and focus simply on issues of practicality, security and safety…. and on those criteria the race went off successfully.

What happened elsewhere was politics.

Same applies in other sports… Football, Cricket, Olympics, etc…

• sorin (@) said on 22nd April 2012, 17:10

This site is called F1FANATIC. You post here, saying, you didn’t watch the race, you watch something else. Do you think , we care?? No!!

• falken (@falken) said on 22nd April 2012, 20:38

Yeah, distance the race (which was good) with the politics that surround it (more than normal even for F1).
      PS here’s the arrested Channel 4 team talking from the back of the police van : http://www.channel4.com/news/channel-4-news-team-arrested-in-bahrain

• david said on 23rd April 2012, 0:31

oh crap! I didn’t get my politics and human rights missives with my sports like I’d hoped, I’m rating this race a 1!!!

seriously, go watch cnn. Sports aren’t required to be swayed or partake in politics, even politics that need meddling. Go watch the North/South Korea when they entered the Olympics as a single unit and how many times have they shot each other since then?

• dutch in sweden (@dutch-in-sweden) said on 23rd April 2012, 6:56

I partly agree with your and the world view on Bahrain vs F1, but if you take a stand on that so why be quiet about what is going on in say China.
      It was a good race and I love this season so far.

• Macca (@macca) said on 23rd April 2012, 7:34

Everyone just get of your high horse and just race the race.

Some hard close racing, some good overtakes, some good battles between different strategies and a good fight for the lead. 7/10

• Macca (@macca) said on 23rd April 2012, 7:35

*rate the race

• Prof Kirk (@prof-kirk) said on 23rd April 2012, 8:11

I keep getting these forums mixed up with the ones on bahrainfanatics.co.uk

9/10 for me, possibly a 8/10 if I wasn’t such a Lotus and Vettel fan. Great racing, wheel to wheel action almost all the way through, a little bit of Rosberg controversy to spice it up. Would of liked to of seen a more dramatic last five laps for the lead, that would of really put the icing on the cake.

I’m still struggling to warm to David Croft’s voice and commentating skills. I thought the same thing about Coulthard last year early on but I quickly began to like his input, I hope I warm to Croft.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 23rd April 2012, 15:39

Imho, since so much of the talk surrounding this race has been about Bahrain and it’s political issues regarding lack of human rights, and regarding oppression, the last thing I would want to see (read) is people being oppressed from rating this race in whatever way they choose. If it is about human rights and freedoms then no-one is wrong for their opinion of this race no matter the criteria they use. It is their opinion, they have stated why it is their opinion, and they are free to express it.

What I still struggle with is where the outcry was in 2004 and the years leading up to the knowledge of a racetrack being built and a race being held in Bahrain. The only difference is that in 2011 protestors, or those oppressed, saw Arab Spring which woke them up to go and protest publicly, and suffered backlash from those they know are in charge. And so only then was there public outcry as to F1 holding a race there. As far as I can see, there should never have been an F1 race held in Bahrain to begin with in that the oppression existed then too. The situation there was no different than it is now, just more in the media’s eyes now, and therefore the world’s.

Thank goodness BE was free to try to hold a race in Bahrain from the getgo back before 2004, thank goodness many people globally, including F1 teams, were free to protest that decision back then and could have pressured BE to not hold that race due to oppression of Bahrain’s citizens. Thank goodness Bahrainians are free to leave the country. Thank goodness everyone here was free to watch the race or not, dump F1 forever out of principle, or not. And thank goodness the world seems to be waking up to the likes of oppressive dictatorships and some have already been ousted and killed, even if that hasn’t solved all the issues in those countries.

• Shane (@shane-pinnell) said on 23rd April 2012, 18:15

The opposition wasn’t completely ignored… just look at this thread. I am not saying that F1 should have raced there, just saying that it did bring the situation in Bahrain to the fore of the media consumer’s immeasurably short attention span.

• Macca (@macca) said on 24th April 2012, 6:01

@Robbie – OMG, you did not just compare the oppression in a foreign country to rating a F1 race on a website. Ridiculous.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 24th April 2012, 15:21

No, I did not…having the rights and freedoms to state one’s opinion and have it be left at that and not be oppressed from stating one’s opinion, using as one example freedom of speech on this website, is a metaphor for what the oppressed in Bahrain are going through. ie. my point…if we are going to lament what the oppressed Bahrainians are going through we shouldn’t at the same time shoot someone down for rating the race on this site based on off-track circumstances vs. the usual on-track circumstances. It is how they feel and nobody should dictate to them how they feel. So with the opening remarks of this topic carrying a discussion about HOW to rate the race, with some saying it shouldn’t be rated based on the atmosphere in Bahrain but should only be rated like other races are, I say thank goodness we have the freedom here to choose how we rate the race. And thank goodness we have the freedom to agree or disagree. Obviously not everyone in the world does.

So…OMG…my point is about freedom… and how ridiculous it is for someone to think anyone would equate oppression in a foreign country to rating a F1 race on a website. The two couldn’t be further away from each other in the spectrum of importance, except when you consider the importance of freedom of choice and speech.

2. I know I will most likely get a lot of abuse for this but,

Absolute disgrace, should not have been held.

1/10 for me…

3. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:47

Taking the situation aside, the race was quite nice. I enjoyed it. Sad Kimi dropped off the lead in the last stint…

4. Something fishy with all these punctures!

5. matt90 (@matt90) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:49

I’m voting on the race itself, don’t think this is the place for politics. However, think it’s questionable making all the stewarding decisions after the race- that could affect my opinion.
    8/10

• zippyone (@zippyone) said on 22nd April 2012, 17:50

I agree, I voted on the actual race. I understand other peoples opinions about the situation but that didn’t affect the way I viewed the race. probably the race should not have gone ahead, but it did, so I watched it and thought it was quite good. Sorry.

So I gave it an 8/10. Good to see Kimi so hungry for a win again, he was obviously disappointed with 2nd. What is going on at McLaren pitstops?

• falken (@falken) said on 22nd April 2012, 20:42

better after, than ruin the race as it’s going along because you called the blame wrong…

6. sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:50

Rate the race is always subjective – and often people, including myself, might not vote for a perfect race when their driver didn’t win.

My driver didn’t win today…but that was one of the best races i’ve seen. Fantastic. A 10 from me.

• GeorgeDaviesF1 (@georgedaviesf1) said on 22nd April 2012, 23:04

How well your preferred team/driver does can affect your enjoyment of a race sometimes, my internet was particularly bad today so watching it wasnt enjoyable, will wait until Ive watched Beeb highlights before judging

7. Matty No 2 (@mattynotwo) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:55

Good race, many exciting moment’s, did’nt expect the performance of the Lotus cars, Rakkinon blew a victory, I think. Really hope Rosberg does’nt get a penalty, his defensive driving was a highlight of the race. 8/10

8. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:56

@keithcollantine – Is a Rate the Race really that appropriate for this Grand Prix? I know we always try and rate the races based solely on the contents of the races themselves, but with tensions and emotions running high all week, I anticipate a lot of people will be voting 1/10 simply because of what was happening off the track. I can see @damonsmedley and @mpj1994 have already done so. I didn’t watch the race myself, but based on what I do know of it, it cannot have been so dire that a 1/10 score is justified. The predictions championship was cancelled because it was inappropriate, so I think that maybe the Rate the Race poll should be put on hold as well.

• Totally agree.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:18

Well, I just think that in the past this has been an issue. When people cast their vote based on how interesting or exicting they found the race to be, they often do it based on the performance of a certain driver. This is discouraged but it’s okay to vote based on the events building up to the race, even though the performance of a driver is much more pertinent to their interest and/or exciement because their driver actually influences the event on the track.

Sorry, but that just seems backwards to me.

• Mike (@mike) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:58

The downer from knowing what this race represents affects excitement quite a lot for some people it seems.

• Mike (@mike) said on 22nd April 2012, 21:15

Actually, come to think of it… Are you saying that dismay at the potential for violence and deaths is more petty than what is effectively bad sportsmanship?

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 23rd April 2012, 16:38

@prisoner-monkeys…of course a rate the race is appropriate for this event, imho. The race took place, like it or not, watch it or not. Thank goodness Keith has the freedom to have this blog and to even question himself a handful of days ago, and to ask us participants whether we thought a rating of the race would be apt. As he said, some won’t be watching due to the political issues, others care differently than that and will be watching. Thank goodness we have the freedom to choose.

I just question your comparison of how ‘normally’ people vote based on their level of excitement of a race, often based on the performance of a certain driver, and this is ‘discouraged’. By who? I think that examples of you choosing RG over NR as your DotW last weekend after China was well thought out, you gave NR his props, but ulimately you did what a lot of other posters do which is to go for the guy who you think did something the most unexpected. But even if some said you were ‘wrong’ I’m sure they just meant your point was debatable. And they gave their reasons why they thought that. You used your freedom of choice, as did others, and the debate ensued. I doubt you are now discouraged from once again ‘going against the grain’ if you see fit and you decide not to vote for the ‘obvious’ choice, but rather a choice you feel strongly about. Put another way, I sure hope you aren’t discouraged, because there is no reason for it. Please, keep putting forth your opinions and supporting them well like you always do because a lot of people died in some World Wars to ensure you that freedom.

So if someone wants to rate this race (even as a 1/10) based on their feeling about the race before the teams even turned a wheel, that too is legitimate. They have the freedom to decided that way and hopefully will provide a compelling argument as to how they arrived at that decision. In a democracy you have the freedom to have an opinion, you are wise to have something to support said opinion, and nobody is discouraging you from stating and supporting that opinion. It’s all freedom of debate. Thank goodness.

So I don’t see anything backwards at all. You should go ahead and vote for things in whatever way you feel strongly about and not feel discouraged by your well-thought out and argued choices, and if some want to rate a race before it has even begun, that is their choice too. Feel encouraged that we have the freedoms we do, and run with them.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 23rd April 2012, 17:03

@PM…a slight modification of my above post…when I went to send my above post my screen took me back to the top of the page where I took closer note that Keith is asking to rate the race based on how exciting or entertaining the race was, not based on how our preferred driver or team did. So I can see moreso where it is you think we are ‘discouraged’ to rate the race based on a driver’s performance (yet as you say it seems it is ok to base it on events leading up to a race before they have even turned a wheel, which seems backwards) yet I think Keith’s intention here is to have us not to just rate races on how our favourite driver or team did with whatever emotion that might bring to a person, but to rate the race overall, taking everything into account. I think it is inevitable that sometimes (or often) people are going to vote based on a driver and his performance on the track which is what contributed to one’s feeling about the race, but as I say I think Keith wants us not to vote strictly based on whether we were happy or not with our favourite driver’s or team’s day. I think a lot of comments regarding NR’s ‘no-brainer’ of a DotW were not from fans of his, but were from those acknowledging that in their opinion he owned the weekend. And the race was rated highly because there was lots of other action that involved far more than just people’s favourites. All kinds of people’s favourites did some exciting things, so the race was rated highly, and so was NR.

So anyway, to sum up, I see where you are coming from in saying we are discouraged to rate the race based on a driver’s performance, but I think the intention of rate the race is for us individuals to not rate the race the same way everytime, strictly based on how our fave driver/team did. I think Keith is fine with rating the race based on a driver(s) performance(s), as long as it isn’t to say ‘my driver had a bad day so therefore the race sucked’.

• favomodo (@favomodo) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:07

Totally disagree. I think the majority of the people are mature enough to vote for the race. If someone didn’t watch then don’t vote.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:10

@prisoner-monkeys I think the difference is that you, as an individual, can personally gain from the predictions championship. This really doesn’t have any bearing beyond this website and is an important feature of it.

• bearforce1 (@bearforce1) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:32

Man PM you missed a bumping race. Big 10 for me.

• sorin (@) said on 22nd April 2012, 17:45

Too bad you didn’t watch. Was the best race from this season…

• zicasso (@zicasso) said on 22nd April 2012, 23:20

Mixed emotions after this race and after reading some of the comments here. I feel nothing but admiration @Prisoner-Monkeys and other guys who felt this race shouldn’t, probably, take place. Vettel deserved this win. Kimi looked very strong and it seems like the vote of confidence I gave him over Grosjean was not in vain (probably too early to say).
      As much as I hate to think McLaren would do this on purpose… this is probably the fourth time, this season, Hamilton gets into the pits with an advantage over Button and exits the pits behind Button and or other drivers. Karma is what’s keeping Button behind Hamilton on points. Poor, very poor stuff from McLaren this year. The pits’ mess, human or mechanical, it has to be addressed as they are losing vital points.

9. adamtys (@adamtys) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:56

Really good race. Glad for Lotus. Shame on you Bernie and FIA for greediness. 5/10

10. Rahim.RG (@rahim-rg) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:56

Awesome race….Great drive by Kimi Raikkonen..

11. d3v0 (@d3v0) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:56

@latina a bit harsh.

But you make a good point. I cringe every time my boys come into the pits, especially this year where consistently at least one of their drivers’ races is ruined by the pit stops – which are slow in general compared to the other big teams anyway.

12. djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:56

Better than your usual Bahrain borefest, but the tyres made the race exciting – not the track. Some good action up and down the field but I was disappointed that Raikkonens pace didn’t hold up.

6/10

13. sparkus88 (@sparkus88) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:57

Purely from a racing point of view. One of the best bahrain grand prix just wish kimi could have pushed vettel more in the last stint.

14. Slr (@slr) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:57

8/10 – Good action all around generally. DRS was too strong however and Raikkonen and Vettel scrapped for about a second and then it was over.

15. jovko (@jovko) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:57

Totatly agree!!! this is not unacceptable!

And what about these tyres? They only talk about tyres?!??

1 2 3 8