Rate the race: 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix

What did you think of the Bahrain Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (8%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (4%)
  • 6 (10%)
  • 7 (24%)
  • 8 (27%)
  • 9 (14%)
  • 10 (8%)

Total Voters: 699

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

267 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix

1. xeroxpt (@) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:58

I love to be right! This race has been historically great, if you of course take out the 2009 race, its a track that suits Vettel, also it was hot not as hot as ealier but much hotter than in China which Seb simply didnt get along, in the end i think Lotus just blew another chance for victory much because RedBull knows how to manage a race.
    Technically the best race of the last 2 years, more overtakes and close field.

2. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:58

Easy 10. This race had everything what a good dry race should have!

3. Eggry (@eggry) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:58

It’s shame that it was the greatest Bahrain GP ever but there are people dying outside…

4. joetoml1n (@joetoml1n) said on 22nd April 2012, 14:58

Clearly a lot of people are not reading the original post… It says “Please vote based on how entertaining and exciting you thought the race was” not how you rate the politics in Bahrain..
    A good solid race, easily an 8 or more..

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:05

If people didn’t enjoy the race because of what’s going on in Bahrain and F1’s political endorsement of the regime in the country, that’s their opinion.

• joetoml1n (@joetoml1n) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:25

Was still a highly exciting race though.. There have been lots more boring races that will be rated higher, simply becuase people have their own political views. Which let’s not forget will be slightly biased based on what newspapers people read, and the fact that 99% of people that have an opinion aren’t actually in Bahrain so don’t know the true situation.. All the people in the country covering the race, say it’s correct for the race to be going ahead.

• Bogz said on 22nd April 2012, 15:31

Agree

• Mark (@marlarkey) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:46

I notice nobody voted down the ratings for the Chinese grand prix as a result of China’s repressive regime, its human rights record, its oppression of political opposition, its interference in free speech and access to information, its record on captial punishment, its lack of respect for individual property and rights, etc.

I sense inconsistency in many people’s comments…. By most political measures China has as bad a record, if not worse than Bahrain’s. All those commenting or campaigning against the Bahrain GP should be saying the same about China.

• Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 22nd April 2012, 16:00

+ 1
          All the countries that F1 goes are opressive, captalism itself it’s opressive. Of couse the circumstances in every country are completly differtent.
          I respect and unsdertand the ones that didn’t watch the race as I respect the ones that watched.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 22nd April 2012, 19:21

I’m pretty sick of this argument. I don’t know if people keeping missing or keep ignoring the counter-argument. But even if you think people only object because the country happens to have human rights violations, it ignores that Force India got caught up in it all- it affected the weekend about as directly as possible without there being an actual track invasion or full-on attack on F1 personnel.

• Mark (@marlarkey) said on 23rd April 2012, 0:02

Teams have been affected by “local” actions before… specifically in 2010 Button was subject to an armed mugging in Brazil but I don’t hear any call for the Brazil GP to cancelled…

I’m not arguing either in favour or against… what I am arguing for is consistency… if people want the Bahrain GP cancelled for various political reasons (Human Rights, Democracy, Protest, Violence,etc) then I’d like to see some consistency from those people and consequently calls from them that other GPs should also be cancelled eg China, Brazil, Malaysia, Indian, USA… you could even make a case for the British GP being cancelled if you highlighted concerns about terrorism and last year’s riots plus the fact that British GPs have been affected by protesters interfering with the race.

Its very easy to be a sheep and just follow the media message without actually thinking about the issues.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 23rd April 2012, 18:26

@marlarkey Still missing the point. There aren’t protests against the race in China, because nobody cares about the race there. The race in Bahrain was politicised in a way China never has been, being used to specifically endorse the regime, and some human rights abuses in Bahrain were undoubtedly linked to F1. Last year’s London riots and the attack in Brazil were isolated incidents, not country-wide, and not something that could be predicted or reasonably expected.

I’m not “following the media message,” I have thought about it which is why I realise it is more than just a human rights issue in the first place and why I understand that China is not the same, and I don’t appreciate being called a sheep by anybody intentionally ignoring the reasonable arguments made here and in the media without actually thinking about the issues.

• Mark (@marlarkey) said on 23rd April 2012, 19:26

First, my comment about being a sheep and following the media message was meant to be a general point not targetted at you specifically. Sorry that I didn’t make that clear.

Secondly I didn’t mean protests by citizens in China… there aren’t public protests in China (on any number of issues) because the Chinese government is highly effective at putting them down and repressing public opinion. China makes political use of sporting events (the Olympics were the biggest example) to endorse the regime.

So… all the political arguments against the Bahrain GP apply to an even greater degree about the Chinese GP, so why is it that there has not been the same degree of call for the Chinese GP to be cancelled ? Is it only because the violence and repression in Bahrain was visible whereas in other countries it is invisible ?

In my view it boils down to practicality, security and safety for the sporting event itself. And on those grounds the disruption and issues only had a limited affect on the sporting event itself, no more than has been experienced in other countries at different times and sports.

5. David-A (@david-a) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:04

9/10 –

A very entertaining race. Vettel managed to some very icy pressure from Kimi, and prove why he is a double champion. It was great to see the Lotuses find so much pace through the race, and see another new face on the podium. There was loads of fighting throughout the field as usual, including some risque stuff from Rosberg (he’s learned how to stretch the defensive rules like Mike :) ).

Fantastic season in prospect.

6. rantingmrp (@rantingmrp) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:04

McLaren! I have no words. Another race, another mess – actually two of them – in the pits. Involving the left rear wheel man.

7. rahul1810 (@rahul1810) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:04

Gave it 2. The race was held in terrible conditions, but the race was good, so gave it an extra point

8. xivizmath (@xivizmath) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:05

>rate the race
    >people rate what’s happening everywhere but not on the circuit

Makes perfect sense.

As for me – I slept well – 1/10

9. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:06

8/10 for me. That seems to be my favourite this season.

It would have been 9 if Raikkonen had managed to take it down to the last lap with Vettel but nevertheless it was good fun while it lasted.

Glad to see Lotus on the podium too, great news for them and it only serves to mess the order up a little bit.

I think the race did have plenty of easy DRS passes but there were plenty without it too. Di Resta breezing past 2 other drivers, I forget who, was probably the best for me.

Massa had a good race so well done to him.

Sparing a thought for McLaren, couldn’t have gone much worse for them today though I don’t think that Hamilton was in contention for the win, Vettel pulled out a bigger advantage than he did last year!

10. Mustalainen (@mustalainen) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:06

Fantastic race! Hope not too many people vote 1 just because of the whole situation..

11. sketchyterry (@sketchyterry) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:06

Toss up between 7/10 and 8/10 for me, went with a 7 but probably the best Bahrian race i have seen.

I know that people will rate this 1/10 because of political situation but lets separate the political stuff and the F1, its a bit petty and silly rating this 1/10, your not demonstrating anything…

12. callum (@095cal) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:10

Rate the Race! 7/10 for me. One of the best Bahrain GPs, its a shame that Kimi couldn’t keep the pace at the last stint. Hamiltons overtake made me lol, thats balls

13. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:13

It’s a shame that easily best race at this circuit so far had to occur at a time where the race shouldn’t have gone ahead.

14. Arrrang (@arrrang) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:13

The race was not bad for a Bahrain GP but I think it shouldn’t be held in the first place. Nice to see Raikkonen on the podium again. And I do hope that Rosberg will get not classified.

15. Ryan Williams (@ryanwilliams) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:14