Rate the race: 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix

What did you think of the Bahrain Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (8%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (4%)
  • 6 (10%)
  • 7 (24%)
  • 8 (27%)
  • 9 (14%)
  • 10 (8%)

Total Voters: 699

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

267 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix

1. rantingmrp (@rantingmrp) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:04

McLaren! I have no words. Another race, another mess – actually two of them – in the pits. Involving the left rear wheel man.

2. rahul1810 (@rahul1810) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:04

Gave it 2. The race was held in terrible conditions, but the race was good, so gave it an extra point

3. xivizmath (@xivizmath) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:05

>rate the race
    >people rate what’s happening everywhere but not on the circuit

Makes perfect sense.

As for me – I slept well – 1/10

4. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:06

8/10 for me. That seems to be my favourite this season.

It would have been 9 if Raikkonen had managed to take it down to the last lap with Vettel but nevertheless it was good fun while it lasted.

Glad to see Lotus on the podium too, great news for them and it only serves to mess the order up a little bit.

I think the race did have plenty of easy DRS passes but there were plenty without it too. Di Resta breezing past 2 other drivers, I forget who, was probably the best for me.

Massa had a good race so well done to him.

Sparing a thought for McLaren, couldn’t have gone much worse for them today though I don’t think that Hamilton was in contention for the win, Vettel pulled out a bigger advantage than he did last year!

5. Mustalainen (@mustalainen) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:06

Fantastic race! Hope not too many people vote 1 just because of the whole situation..

6. sketchyterry (@sketchyterry) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:06

Toss up between 7/10 and 8/10 for me, went with a 7 but probably the best Bahrian race i have seen.

I know that people will rate this 1/10 because of political situation but lets separate the political stuff and the F1, its a bit petty and silly rating this 1/10, your not demonstrating anything…

7. callum (@095cal) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:10

Rate the Race! 7/10 for me. One of the best Bahrain GPs, its a shame that Kimi couldn’t keep the pace at the last stint. Hamiltons overtake made me lol, thats balls

8. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:13

It’s a shame that easily best race at this circuit so far had to occur at a time where the race shouldn’t have gone ahead.

9. Arrrang (@arrrang) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:13

The race was not bad for a Bahrain GP but I think it shouldn’t be held in the first place. Nice to see Raikkonen on the podium again. And I do hope that Rosberg will get not classified.

10. Ryan Williams (@ryanwilliams) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:14

It was a great race, but it simply should not have gone ahead. 1/10

11. Postreader said on 22nd April 2012, 15:16

10/10

Probably the best race of the year. If only Räikkönen kept the pressure on…

12. andae23 (@andae23) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:16

What else to rate this race 1/10?
    This race should not have happened. The fact that it did happen was an embarrassement for Formula 1, and I hope the FIA will learn from this.

13. Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:17

I’m here to rate the race, and not the socio-political situation arund it. Whether the race should have been held or not have been discussed at length already.

Based on that view, I’m giving it a 7/10. The first three stints were really good, there was a lot of action. Vettel finally found the car to his liking and delivered the result. It may be too early too say, but I wonder if Red Bull will dominate again come the Spanish Grand Prix – as a fan of Vettel, I really want him to win the title, but I want it to be hard-fought too, so I hope this equilibrium between the top 4 teams is maintained!

Amazing race for the Lotus team – the cars were fast throughout the race, and Kimi showed a really strong pace on his first stint on the mediums, putting pressure on Vettel who was on softs. I’m really glad they could capitalise on their early pace, as I expect them to lose ground on the development battle. Kimi was the driver of the day for me, coming second after starting 11th, and of course, congratulations on Grosjean on his first podium. If he keeps driving as he did in China and Bahrain, he may have secured his short-term future in F1 already. I suspect this podium will be the first of many for him.

Awful race from Mercedes. Hembery was downplaying their tyre degradation problems, but they were clearly struggling today. I find it abysmal that Schumacher, with all the option tyres he had a his disposal with a car that has a very high top speed could only manage 10th (would be 11th without Button’s retirement) in a race with such an effective DRS zone – which was too big and poorly placed in my opinion.

Rating the season, it is impossible not to give a 10 out of 10. Four different drivers winning the first four races for four different teams. Last time it happened was in 1983 with Piquet (Brabham), Watson (McLaren), Prost (Renault) and Tambay (Ferrari). We’re in to an epic season!

14. DT (@dt) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:18

8 for me. Great race with lots of action.

15. Matt (@agentmulder) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:18

I’m sure this will get swamped by the same sort of crowd who “review bomb” movies and games on Metacritic. To be honest with race predictions canceled I’m surprised this even went up.

So long as this pool is up, it gets an 8/10 from me. Great race overall. My main issues were the anti-climactic battle between Raikkonen and Vettel, and lots of teams playing easy with their tires. I appreciate the new tires making the races exciting, but I fear we’re starting to trend a little too far into the strategy side and less towards the racing side. I didn’t seem like anyone could really go flat out at any point in the race unless they wanted to shred their tires.

My only other major disappointment was Rosberg’s conduct, any by extension the FIA’s response to it. Deliberately running a driver off course not once, but twice, is bad enough in GP2 when you’re dealing with young and inexperienced drivers. In F1, that kind of stuff should not be acceptable practice. Time will tell how the FIA rule, but why they didn’t call him in for a drive-through or stop and go after that is beyond me, especially considering how trigger happy they were with the mid-race penalties last year.

• Eleanore (@leucocrystal) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:24

Agreed re: the tires and the Rosberg maneuvers.

I was holding off judgement on the Pirellis this year until we were a few races in, but this race was just hampered by too much worry over them, I feel. As you put it, there’s racing and strategy. Racing obviously involves strategy, but I don’t think any one factor should dominate it so much as the tires clearly are doing.

16. sid_prasher (@) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:19

didn’t expect this after the predictions competition was taken off. voting an 8 – it was the best bahrain GP ever. could have been 10 if kimi had stayed close in the last stint…

Sad that the race was mired by all that happened around it – and i will be even more sad when the world media will move and forget the plight of the people there. It was nothing but a story for them.

17. CarsVsChildren (@carsvschildren) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:20

Does anyone have any info on the poor Ferrari mechanic who died today? Ferraritweeted about him after the race. http://inagist.com/all/194058525759119361/

18. Matt (@agentmulder) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:20

So long as this poll is up, it gets an 8/10 from me. Great race overall. My main issues were the anti-climactic battle between Raikkonen and Vettel, and lots of teams playing easy with their tires. I appreciate the new tires making the races exciting, but I fear we’re starting to trend a little too far into the strategy side and less towards the racing side. I didn’t seem like anyone could really go flat out at any point in the race unless they wanted to shred their tires.

• Matt (@agentmulder) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:23

Apologies for the double post. Went to edit a typo, thought I deleted the last one but apparently you can’t do that. Oops.

19. Derfel17 (@derfel17) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:23

10/10. Kimi is back!

20. nackavich (@nackavich) said on 22nd April 2012, 15:24

Rating the race, not the context. Gave it a 7. Had a very small but exciting battle for the lead (briefly), pit-stop drama and some overtaking and defending (if you can even call Rosberg’s moves ‘defending’).
    Watched the race for my love and passion of ‘racing’, although I’m not ignorant of everything that is happening in the country.
    I don’t feel ashamed of watching it – although I agree it should’ve been cancelled altogether.