Rate the race: 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix

What did you think of the Bahrain Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (8%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (4%)
  • 6 (10%)
  • 7 (24%)
  • 8 (27%)
  • 9 (14%)
  • 10 (8%)

Total Voters: 699

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

267 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix

1. Trido (@trido) said on 22nd April 2012, 22:54

I voted 1 out of 10. I also did not watch the race. I refuse to watch a race when the FIA are sanctioning the oppression of the people.

2. sgarforth (@sgarforth) said on 22nd April 2012, 23:40

I think the race was good. And I’ll probably get hell for this, but I think it was good for the situation in Bahrain. The “arab Spring” has become old news on no one is covering it. F1 coming to town has brought every side’s agenda to the forefront so their opinions were heard by the world stage. F1 races in many contentious places around the world… China comes to mind, Russia will soon be on the grid, the US has indefinitely held people in Guantanamo that haven’t had a trial, don’t get me started on Brazil… Every country has it’s skeletons in their closet. F1 brings the world’s magnifying glass to the situation and people will leave with a more informed understanding of that region after watching a race there. I don’t think the world is leaving with a totally “pro-government” perspective on Bahrain after having watched this race. That is one thing I love about F1, I am a more informed citizen of this planet by following this sport because the realities of the world directly affect it.

• The Pink Bengal said on 23rd April 2012, 10:14

A good and valid point in my humble opinion.
      There really hasn’t been much on the news about the situation. If F1 didn’t go to Bahrain, there would have been even less and to be honest, it would probably not even have entered my mind.

3. Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 22nd April 2012, 23:41

On this track it was a pretty good race. Good racing through the field and some on-the-edge driving. Definately watchable. The other upside is that Bahrain’s opposition movement got about a billion dollars worth of air time around the world to further their cause. Had the race been cancelled everyone would have completely forgotten about the issue. F1 managements’ reputation got a black eye though.

The other upside is that it gave our family a context to discuss human rights with our teenagers. They’d usually run a mile to avoid political discussions. That’s not to say that people should be oppressed or die just to give some middle class kids an education of course.

Channel 10′s coverage in Australia had a two lap commercial break at lap 7, 11, and then somewhere in the low 20′s, 30′s, and the mid 40′s from memory. Certainly more than you get with the OneHD telecast. I guess that’s the price you pay for a free to air broadcast.

4. Alex said on 23rd April 2012, 0:49

I’d give it a 9!

Wanted to go to bathroom around lap 20, Kimi made me wait until the last lap!

I’d imagine this race was not as exiting for people who are not Kimi or Lotus fans. But Kimi got huge fan base and he made a lot of people come back to watch F1 with his return. Considering Kimi’s driving ability it’s just ignorant thinking he would have lost his edge with two years away. He is not just World Champion (*cough* reliable McLaren 2005 *cough*) , he is one of the fastest World Champions.

Watch out for Lotus 1-2 in Spain and then Kimi will dominate Monaco!!

Go Go Kimi, 2nd World Championship, you got this!!!!

ps. This is an epic F1 season. I think it’s only going to get more exiting!!

• Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 23rd April 2012, 1:59

If you were watching in Australia there were plenty of opportunities to go to the bathroom. Ads ads ads ads ads ads, and more ads.

• Alex said on 23rd April 2012, 6:11

“”bearforce1 (@bearforce1) said on 23rd April 2012, 5:51

I watch the One/ten broadcast and also have my laptop connected to the TV with the pirate sky/bbc broadcasts for when the adds come on. I just switch between to two almost never miss any of it. Its brilliant.

This.

5. johnkhobson (@johnkhobson) said on 23rd April 2012, 1:13

It seems to me cancelling the predictions contest is a fairly feckless gesture. If you want to do something useful, how about hosting a link to Human Rights or whatever, or solicit donations on their behalf. I hate slippery slope type arguments, but China is hardly an admirable society. So how do you evaluate the relevance of a host country’s worthiness? Ah, hell, just race!

6. nefor (@nefor) said on 23rd April 2012, 1:42

I’ve rated the race 8 because it appeared to be an interesting one. A good drive by Paul Di Resta helped my enjoyment considering my other preferred drivers had poor races. Kimi chasing Seb and some overtaking in various places as well as the aggressive defending by Nico was entertaining. Unfortunately McLaren’s terrible race, particularly Button retiring was frustrating. Heikki’s puncture at the start was also annoying. Hopefully McLaren will really look into their pit stop situation. Maybe it was just 3 occurrences of bad luck (Button in China & Hamilton x 2) but it is costing them dearly. To top it off Sebastian is back on P1 and I got fed up of that early in 2011 never mind the possibility of it all happening again in 2012.

As much as I gave the race an 8, because I think that’s what the race deserved, I actually went to bed (finished at 11:45pm in Aus) feeling seriously disappointed with the experience of watching it. A few things contributed to this, primarily I didn’t see my chosen drivers or teams doing well which of course is never great but I additionally couldn’t get the live timing to work at all and combined with chatting to my parents on Skype during the races and my netbook being slow meant following the race was actually harder than normal, I love analysing the races as they progress and I missed this hugely, Twitter was quiet and I can’t run F1 Fanatic live on the netbook without causing Skype to chug so there was little in the social side of the race which I realise I enjoy more than I thought. Compounding all of this was the sheer stupidity of the weekend. The whole Force India debacle in qualifying annoyed me, the bone headedness of Bernie and others when discussing the evident troubles was infuriating and I just never enjoyed the F1 this weekend as I normally do. The race was an 8 but my enjoyment of the F1 weekend was a solid 1.

Oh and Ten running the race in standard definition having become used to One HD in Australia is another maddening ingredient to a weekend of F1 I’ll be soon forgetting.

Roll on testing.

7. Michel S. (@hircus) said on 23rd April 2012, 5:00

Perhaps there should have been a second poll, on the same page, about whether we agree to the race being held or not. That way people can separate their view on whether the race should have been held (I would have voted no) and how the race itself was as a spectacle (I actually voted 10; lots of strong performances all around)

8. rantingmrp (@rantingmrp) said on 23rd April 2012, 6:19

How on earth do the McLaren pit crew keep their jobs, given their performances so far this season? Woking is a tip-top engineering outfit, and anyone can see that there is a serious problem with the pit-stop routine of the left rear tyre.
    Why is it taking them so long to fix it? Jenson lost a possible win in China because of it, Lewis lost position TWICE in Bahrain….and we havent even started going over last season.
    Maybe it’s Martin Whitmarsh.

9. Rodrrico (@rodrrico) said on 23rd April 2012, 6:28

Normally Bahrain is a boring circuit for me, but the combination of helicopter angles and actual racing made this race a 9 for me.

10. Nara (@narazdache) said on 23rd April 2012, 9:20

9 from me.
    If Lotus improve their race decision making, I think Kimi is strong candidate for Championship.
    They had a plan on going SOFT 1 and 3 stint, why didn’t they?! :( Kimi had clear air and would have caught Grosjean on MEDIUMs. Then he would have ripped Vettel apart on new SOFTs. Instead they chocked! They used up SOFT to gain minimal time that also got wasted during overtaking Grosjean.

Afraid of China? Seriously they wanted Kimi go half of distance on two stopper there.

11. snowman.john (@snowman-john) said on 23rd April 2012, 13:18

Not a bad race for Bahrain.

12. Thegamer23 said on 23rd April 2012, 14:12

Best race that Bahrain ever showed.
    Great battles all around the field, shame for Raikkonen missed victory, but it was a really good race.

8/10

13. BNK Racing said on 23rd April 2012, 16:57

1. the Man United vs Everton game was 10x more entertaining. Plus no mancs or scousers were killed during the coverage of it.

14. Shane (@shane-pinnell) said on 23rd April 2012, 18:26

7/10 – Would have been 8 but the tires played a little too big of a role in the race. A better balance between tires and drivers and chassis is needed to get a higher rating for me. On track action was good, nice close fights too, just too much focusing on tire wear.

15. tkcom (@tkcom) said on 23rd April 2012, 20:52

7/10. The race was good but that bitter taste in my mouth kinda spoiled it.