F1 drivers praise Mugello but Petrov says it’s not safe

2012 F1 season

Vitaly Petrov, Caterham, Mugello, 2012F1’s return to Mugello for testing has been praised by many drivers – with the exception of Vitaly Petrov who says the track isn’t safe enough.

On Tuesday Mark Webber hailed the circuit as being far more satisfying to drive on than some modern F1 venues:

“Did ten dry laps today around Mugello, which is the same as doing 1,000 laps around Abu Dhabi track in terms of satisfaction,” he posted on Twitter.

In between runs today Daniel Ricciardo said: “Love driving the beast round here, awesome high speed circuit. Can’t wait to get back in after lunch.”

Sebastian Vettel said: “I’m happy to be here. Unfortunately we don?t have this track on the calendar. It’s an incredible circuit with a lot of high-speed corners.

“It’s what you hope for in a Formula One car, because you can really feel the downforce. Once you get into the rhythm it?s really enjoyable.”

Nico Rosberg, Bruno Senna and Jean-Eric Vergne also praised the circuit.

But Petrov raised concerns about the circuit: “I’m not sure the track is right for today’s F1 cars,” he said yesterday. “You get very close to the walls and it’s maybe a bit small for the cars now, but it’s still a good challenge putting together a quick lap.”

He told Autosport today: “I don’t think we should have come here. It is not safe and wide enough.”

Unlike most modern F1 venues, Mugello has no tarmac run-off – the track is mainly bordered by grass and gravel traps as can be seen in this satellite picture:

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

Image ?? Caterham/LAT

80 comments on F1 drivers praise Mugello but Petrov says it’s not safe

1. MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 3rd May 2012, 14:28

Exactly, they don’t call it “Wall of Champions” for nothing. And somebody ask Perez about Monaco. I prefer gravel traps in any case. Punishes you for making errors.

2. ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 3rd May 2012, 14:32

I think the lack of tarmac invasion/trees and greenery surrounding Vitaly have perhaps made him feel a little faint…

3. JPedroCQF1 (@joao-pedro-cq) said on 3rd May 2012, 14:34

Man up, Vitaly!

• Mike (@mike) said on 3rd May 2012, 15:30

Regardless of our personal thoughts on that, I don’t think it’s right to criticize someone for commenting on safety.

• Julian (@julian) said on 3rd May 2012, 15:47

+100
        safety first, entertainment second.

*sigh. It would be nice though.

• JPedroCQF1 (@joao-pedro-cq) said on 3rd May 2012, 16:21

I just think that the tracks with 100 metres+ asphalt run-off areas aren’t exciting. If a driver makes a mistake, he should get punished by getting beached in the gravel trap. I admit that in some cases it may not have the best results but nowadays drivers have the luxury of making mistakes and run wide and they aren’t punished. These are drivers who are at the top level (or should be), and they should try to avoid making mistakes.

However, I DO NOT want to see anyone killed, so I understand why he said that.

• JPedroCQF1 (@joao-pedro-cq) said on 3rd May 2012, 16:24

And this is a sport which will always be dangerous, and, lets admit, its the danger that brings excitement.

• Skett (@skett) said on 5th May 2012, 23:25

Maybe they should keep the tarmac runoff areas but find a way to limit the car to half throttle when running outside the confines of the circuit or something or something. Could even have the bonus that it’ll stop arguments over passing outside the track.

• DK (@seijakessen) said on 4th May 2012, 0:03

I disagree. This is the main problem with F1 currently when it comes to track design. They have gone too overboard with safety thus negating the importance of risk/reward on many circuits. No offense, if you blow off the track, you should be penalized for it by getting stuck in a gravel trap, or having trouble getting back to the track. Based on his comments, I don’t think Vitaly could have been capable of racing in F1 20 years ago.

• Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 4th May 2012, 0:08

He probably would have, actually, considering the poor(er) quality of the drivers back then.

• DK (@seijakessen) said on 4th May 2012, 0:14

lol what?

You might want to go check to see some of the guys who were on the grid in 1992.

Don’t forget F1 wasn’t operating as a borderline spec race back then either.

• Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 4th May 2012, 0:27

Hm? The Nige was good, Patrese…wasn’t but had a good car, Schuey was decent, Senna was subpar that year, Berger was slightly above par that year (yet still below Senna, which underlines how overrated he was), Brundle was nothing special. Petrov would’ve beaten all of the others and even one or two of the aforementioned ones.

You’re greatly underestimating the value of today’s grid.

• DK (@seijakessen) said on 4th May 2012, 0:49

@pamphlet Based on what you are saying, you really have no clue about 1992. Saying Senna was subpar was pretty much the clincher on that. Senna wasn’t subpar, the problem was the Williams FW14 was so far ahead of every car on the grid technologically that trying to beat Mansell was near impossible. On top of that, saying because Berger was below Senna means he was overrated is hysterical. You’re trying to compare someone to arguably the greatest F1 driver in history.

I don’t underestimate the value of today’s grid, I just recognize that a lot of the lower ranked drivers are not any good, Petrov being one of them. Petrov would have had a seat on a team like Jordan or Venturi. Doomed to be an eternal backmarker.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 4th May 2012, 1:03

And he isn’t a backmarker in 2012?

• Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 4th May 2012, 1:35

> You’re talking like someone who started watching F1 in the past decade or so with these comments.

There’s your problem. You could easily be experienced in a domain and still have no idea what you’re talking about. Like you are. Clearly proven by your statement that Senna is “arguably the greatest F1 driver in history”.

Mansell and Patrese had the best car on the grid by a landslide, but that doesn’t stop the fact that Senna barely beat his teammate by one point. Looking at how strong Senna was the following year (despite once again not having the best car), it’s painfully obvious that either he underperformed with the second best car or Berger did better than he usually did.

Even Schumacher had a better run that year. That had to sting.

• DK (@seijakessen) said on 4th May 2012, 3:37

@pamphlet

Most people who raced in F1 during Senna’s time said he was the best. The only reason I say arguably is because of Jim Clark. Fangio himself said Senna was better than he was. He still won 3 races in spite of the subpar year which kind of blows a colossal hole in your claim.

As for the Williams, I pretty much said they had the best car on the grid by a country mile…not sure what parroting what I said has to do with anything.

• DK (@seijakessen) said on 4th May 2012, 3:39

@david-a

Which is what my point is basically…Petrov isn’t any good.

A lot of strings got pulled to get him a seat with Caterham…really late in the offseason for it to happen. If there wasn’t external pressure on Caterham and the need for a Russian driver on the grid, Petrov never would have been in F1 this season.

• Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 4th May 2012, 4:21

And? Schumacher only won once race and was still above him. Wins aren’t everything. Prost himself agreed with that.

Hell, if you’re going to mention people who think Senna was the GoaT, why shouldn’t I mention people who say that, for example, Schuey was? The legendary Murray Walker, for example. And he, too, has seen most of the top tier F1 drivers, if not all of them. The only place where Senna is the greatest was in the wet. Other than that, the entertainment value that he brought and his spirituality make loads of people flock to him instead of calmer yet easily as strong if not stronger drivers. Hamilton vs Button, anyone? Hell, look at how highly rated Kobayashi is right now.

And what I meant was that Senna still had the second best car. And still underperformed in it.

• Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 4th May 2012, 4:24

As for your second comment, Trulli was underrated in my view and I was also disappointed to see him replaced (especially that late), but he’d lost any and all motivation, kept complaining about power steering and was constantly getting his hindside handed to him by Kovalainen. Petrov, on the other hand, has matched and even surpassed him at times (and I’m not talking about Bahrain, either).

Pay drivers can be good. Schumacher was good, and he was a pay driver at least in the beginning.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 4th May 2012, 15:51

@pamphlet – Vitaly is a pay driver, and not a very good on at that (there have been good pay drivers in the past – Senna could be counted as one but he decided to fight his way in by virtue of his talent) but obviously he isn’t a terrible driver otherwise he wouldn’t have made it to this stage.
            As for saying that the drivers on the 1992 F1 gird were of a poor quality and that Vitaly would be competitive, I have never heard such nonsense. The FW14’s were completely dominant as @seijakessen has already mentioned. Senna performed extremely well given that his machinery was not capable of winning the championship, after all the drivers in the William’s were no slouches. As you can see from the championship results Senna only lost 3rd to Schumacher by a very small margin due to reliability issues; he was fundamentally quicker.

• Mike (@mike) said on 4th May 2012, 3:17

@seijakessen

I’d like to remind you, that before Senna’s death there hadn’t been a death in over 10 years. And a common comment was that everyone had let their guard slip, and been complacent.

Just because there hasn’t been a death since Roland and Ayrton doesn’t mean it’s safe. Just look at all the close calls in the last few years.

• DK (@seijakessen) said on 4th May 2012, 3:27

@mike I never said F1 was safe, what my point is even Jackie Stewart who is a huge proponent of safety says thing have gone too far. Tarmac all over Spa? Joke.

BTW, you forget Elio de Angelis who was killed at Paul Ricart in 1986. It gets forgotten because it didn’t happen during a race weekend.

• Mike (@mike) said on 4th May 2012, 6:09

@seijakessen
            My mistake, before Senna’s death there hadn’t been a death in over 5 years

I still think my point holds.

And I didn’t say that Spa covered in tarmac is a good thing either, if you look at my comment below you’ll see this, as I distinguish between fast and slower corners, where I feel, the issue is not the same. Having said that, making a blanket comment that F1 has gone too far with safety, as you made, I think is a very silly way to go. Looking at the close calls, as I’ve said, I think shows this.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 3rd May 2012, 16:22

Wonder what Vitaly has to say on Monaco and Monza.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 3rd May 2012, 16:48

After reading other guys assessment of the circuit Vitaly is a bit off. I think he hates Monaco and that crazy wall in Montreal :)

• xeroxpt (@) said on 3rd May 2012, 17:11

If you’re afraid to drive you might aswell die – something Senna would say to Vitaly.

4. Sir JYS said on 3rd May 2012, 14:39

Well, if Imola isn’t coming back, Mugello would be a nice setting for a European Grand Prix. It sure beats Valencia….zzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz

5. Victor. (@victor) said on 3rd May 2012, 14:56

The surrounding is breathtaking.

6. Dizzy said on 3rd May 2012, 15:07

Mugello is a nice track, However its not a very good track for racing.
    I’ve watched many car races there over the years & none have been that good. Its like Imola & Magny-cours in that regard.

• clay (@clay) said on 3rd May 2012, 23:18

Possibly true but how many of those races involved tyres like we now have and DRS? If the drivers love it and it is not far off F1 safety specs then why not look at it?

7. Paulocreed (@paulocreed) said on 3rd May 2012, 15:32

Maybe Vitaly prefers the large barriers of Monte Carlo? Those are much much safer! ;)

8. pejte (@pejte) said on 3rd May 2012, 15:53

I’d like to hear Petrov’s opinion on Monaco, with NO run-off areas :)

9. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 3rd May 2012, 16:08

As long as a track isn’t just downright deadly, I would rather there’d be an element of danger with a lot more exciting track. As Vettel said high speed corners which really test the downforce of the cars seem to be lacking in the modern f1 calendar, which negates the excitement as Mark said.

10. antonyob (@antonyob) said on 3rd May 2012, 16:45

wow what a fabulous setting. the cars look infinitely better surrounded by trees and grass banks. Predictably Petrov is getting a shoeing, and rightly so!! You come and sit at my desk Vitaly, i’ll drive your car.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 3rd May 2012, 18:31

You come and sit at my desk Vitaly, i’ll drive your car

LMAO ! Better make sure your company pays the bill to Caterham though. They need a pay driver

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 4th May 2012, 0:33

Predictably Petrov is getting a shoeing, and rightly so!!

I bet that if Petrov said “Abu Dhabi isn’t safe”, you’d be heaping praise on him for it.

• Mike (@mike) said on 4th May 2012, 3:25

They would…

Or if Alonso had said it wasn’t safe they’d all be nodding their heads importantly and saying, well, yes yes, quite right.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 4th May 2012, 7:48

Hey, we agree on something!

I wonder what the reactions to Petrov’s comments would be if Webber hadn’t described a lap of Mugello as being a thousand times more satisfying than a lap of Abu Dhabi; ie, if Petrov was the only person who said anything about the circuit, how would people respond?

Too many people are making Petrov out to be a coward for thinking that Mugello is unsafe. But nowhere does he say “I’m scared whenever I do a lap here”. His point is that Formula 1 has out-grown the circuit. It’s very narrow in comparison to other circuits, and it probably doesn’t have the frequent access points for mashalls that other circuits do. After all, it doesn’t have a Grade-1 licence, and the biggest actor separating Grade-1 from Grade-1T circuits is safety.

11. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 3rd May 2012, 17:01

I never liked tarmac run offs… I don’t really think it’s the best way to stop cars going off, though gravel traps are not the best thing either. But I think they do a better job overalll.

The run off areas in Mugello are not the biggest ever, but I wonder if it’s any different to other circuits. Like Monza, where they go flat out almost all the lap, and there are not much room for mistakes either, yet they still race there! Same with Canada, the track is incredibly fast too, yet there’s not much room…

Thinking about it, I’d say Mugello’s okay… it might not be the safest ever, but it’s ahead of Monaco, that’s for sure. And if it’s ahead of Monaco, then they should be able to test there.

12. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 3rd May 2012, 17:24

Gravel traps and testing don’t mix very well. There were a lot of red flags – how many of those could be avoided if the car could just drive away? Gravel’s good for stopping a bouncing bike, or as a deterrent/penalty in races (I liked the “surprise” gravel traps built into the painted design at Bahrain, Turn 1 at Hockenheim needs those!). But the teams could have picked their testing venue more carefully.

Great to hear so much enthusiasm from the drivers, particularly the Red Bull drivers suggesting having a race there. They should bring back the San Marino Grand Prix, they could move a few of the walls back (which they couldn’t at Imola – too many chicanes and ghosts there now anyway)

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 3rd May 2012, 18:43

@bullfrog how’s that different to Jerez or Valencia, then? neither have tarmac run offs, but they always test there. I think they chose well about Mugello… besides, it’s better for them to test there rather than Barcelona, which IS in the calendar.

• Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 3rd May 2012, 19:38

It’s probably the same at Jerez and Valencia – I guess they’re more famous as bike tracks too. It’s just that every time I checked how the testing was going, the session seemed to be stopped!

I don’t mean to criticise Mugello – it looks way better than those two Spanish tracks from the photos and driver quotes. And I’d rather see them trying different tracks too, like Mugello, Portimão, Imola… and how come Paul Ricard has a race, but they never tested there?

13. MemorableC (@memorablec) said on 3rd May 2012, 17:32

The problem with gravel traps is the cars have the potential to dig in and even flip.

Ideally the solution would be something like a tarmac runoff that also punishes you for going off tack, but until that happens then its a choice between boring and dangerous, and as a human being I would prefer boring so that no one gets hurt, even though as a fan I like the gravel traps.

I am conflicted.

14. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 3rd May 2012, 17:41

I can understand where he’s coming from, but at a time when Monaco and Montreal are still on the calendar, it’s a little bit ridiculous.

I personally think that if the drivers like it, then it should be on the calendar. Obviously, that isn’t how it works, and it’s a shame that the ‘pinnacle’ of motorsport doesn’t have the greatest race tracks on their calendar. Replacing Valencia and/or Abu Dhabi with race tracks like this would surely hail much praise from most, if not all Formula 1 fans.