Maldonado says “It’s a wonderful day” after first win

2012 Spanish Grand Prix

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Barcelona, 2012Pastor Maldonado said “I think it’s a wonderful day” after winning his first race in the Spanish Grand Prix.

Speaking in the press conference after the race he said: “For me, for the team, we’ve been pushing so hard to try to improve race by race and here we are.

“Yesterday we had a great qualifying and today again it was a tough race because the strategy as well was hard because the rear tyres after a couple of lap we were struggling.

“But I’m really happy because the car was so competitive since the first lap. Fernando did a better start than me but I was just following the pace and it was so great.

“It’s my first podium and my first victory so you can imagine what I feel.”

Maldonado took the lead after making his second pit stop before Fernando Alonso, but came under pressure from the Ferrari driver at the end of the race:

“It was so close,” said Maldonado. “We were looking to manage the tyre degradation so I wasn’t pushing that hard just to keep the tyres alive for the end of the race and Fernando got too close.

“There was some moment that he was so close especially at the end of the race. But I was managing the gap and controlling everything. I think our pace today was pretty strong. The car looks fantastic even the team made a small mistake in the last pit stop but it doesn’t affect our performance.”

2012 Spanish Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Spanish Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Williams/LAT

42 comments on Maldonado says “It’s a wonderful day” after first win

1. carlito's way said on 13th May 2012, 15:20

So happy for Maldonado and Williams!

2. sumedh said on 13th May 2012, 15:22

First podium!! And directly on the top step.
    I guess only Vettel has done this before

3. Slr (@slr) said on 13th May 2012, 15:23

Maldonado had been threating to do something big for a while now, I just didn’t expect him to win.

4. carbon_fibre (@carbon_fibre) said on 13th May 2012, 15:24

Remember when he “attacked” Hamilton at Spa last year? Everybody hated him… Now look at him.

Go Pastor!

• Mouse_Nightshirt (@mouse_nightshirt) said on 13th May 2012, 15:40

As much as I’m very happy for him now, that event last year still looms in my mind a bit.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 13th May 2012, 15:46

For me too @mouse_nightshirt. Like Lewis own behaviour last year, like Vettel in Turkey 2010, etc. Doesn’t mean I can’t value a good drive by the drivers, luckily, but yeah, it sticks in my mind. But, great drive by Maldonado today, and during this whole weekend, well done by him and the Williams team.

• Solo (@solo) said on 13th May 2012, 21:53

His attitude is a different story. Schumi was an ass on the past but he was winning. Still that didn’t make him a nice guy.
      Last year Maldonado brush off badly to me because of Monaco and Spa. If he makes another two years in F1 and behaves decently i can say that those where just one of time incidents and consider them not important.

5. PMccarthy_is_a_legend (@pmccarthy_is_a_legend) said on 13th May 2012, 15:27

Nice, he proved his critics wrong!

6. Eggry (@eggry) said on 13th May 2012, 15:29

Brilliant drive. He deserves it. after final lap crash in Aus, he certainly learned a lot.

7. Eggry (@eggry) said on 13th May 2012, 15:31

I can’t wait for Monaco! We could see strong Alonso and Maldonado again soon.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 13th May 2012, 20:37

Maldonado was pretty stellar in that Williams at Monaco last year. Unfortunately, a deranged lewis put his race to an untimely end.

I expect both him and Fernando fighting for a podium finish in Monaco.

8. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 13th May 2012, 15:37

Deserved win for him and Williams. They both turned the tables very quickly: Maldonado polishing his errors and getting all together right this time and Williams turning around a car which was rubbish to a race winning racer.

9. luigismen (@luigismen) said on 13th May 2012, 15:47

Great thing what Maldonado just did, i’ts unbelievable!! He’s making us Venezuelans so proud right now.
    Grande Pastor!! Vamos Venezuela!!

• Faca said on 13th May 2012, 17:46

Ferrari doesn’t know that either or ever since the Pirelli tires got back into f1. Alonso would have won the race if he would have pitted in the same lap or at least a lap later than Maldonado. No 2-3 laps later. The one that pits first is at least 2-3 seconds faster than the one that is running at the end of the tires’ life.

• Palle (@palle) said on 13th May 2012, 20:13

I don’t think You are right. It seemed as if Alonso’s tires was shot at the end and he had to let Maldonado go. If Alonso had pitted 2 rounds earlier, he would have fallen victim to Raikonnen at the end. I think the situation was that both Williams and Ferrari made the best available strategic calls, the Williams car and Maldonado just a little better today.

10. sumedh said on 13th May 2012, 15:52

I cant quite understand F1 at the moment. Mclaren won in Australia, then they were nowhere in Malaysia. Ferrari won in Malaysia, no performance in China. Merc won in China, terrible in Bahrain. Red Bull won in Bahrain, two wing changes today.
    How can teams’ performance swing so drastically? Tyres I know

It somehow feels as if Pirelli are setting up the championship for us. “Okay, lets make this guy a winner next”

11. Mister Nillionaire (@mister-nillionaire) said on 13th May 2012, 15:58

And to think I thought of him as a pay driver… Congratulations.

12. f199player (@f199player) said on 13th May 2012, 16:10

Fantastic drive by Pastor and Well done to Williams amazing turn around, struggling to score points last season and now scoring well and I’m glad they got that monkey off their back, the perfect present for Sir Frank

13. Mouse_Nightshirt (@mouse_nightshirt) said on 13th May 2012, 16:12

Seemingly he over-egged the celebrations – Williams garage is now on fire!

14. Nico74 (@nico74) said on 13th May 2012, 16:12

10- the best championship. Unpreditable. Anyway i’m a little confused. Which is the best car?? As Ferrari improve or RB and McLaren loose???

• infy (@infy) said on 13th May 2012, 16:44

More a case of certain tracks suiting certain cars characteristics. Also the teams dont all release updates on the same weekends. Some teams for instance will bring updates to Canada while the ones who brought them this weekend will not. the teams might all end up playing a game of leep-frog in the development race throughout the season.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 13th May 2012, 17:34

I can’t tell who’s faster but consistency wise (race pace+quali) I’d say Maclaren, Lotus, Red Bull.

15. squaregoldfish (@squaregoldfish) said on 13th May 2012, 16:26

I haven’t followed F1 at all this week. I didn’t see a Williams win coming for a good while yet – well done to them and Pastor!