Rate the race: 2012 Spanish Grand Prix

2012 Spanish Grand Prix

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Barcelona, 2012What did you think of the Spanish Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (1%)
  • 5 (1%)
  • 6 (3%)
  • 7 (13%)
  • 8 (33%)
  • 9 (33%)
  • 10 (15%)

Total Voters: 774

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2012 Spanish Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Spanish Grand Prix articles

219 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Spanish Grand Prix

1. baldgye (@baldgye) said on 13th May 2012, 17:16

As a Hammy fan I think the race result is pretty silly and that he should have probally won the race.

Despite this he drove one of the best races I’ve ever seen. He made over-taking cars on a track thats hard to over-take look easy and he did it all while saving his tires to make a 2 stop work better than his team mates 3(4?) stop despite starting 14 places behind him.

Let’s hope McLaren wont ruin his next race where you REALLY can’t over-take

• MarcusAurelius (@marcusaurelius) said on 13th May 2012, 19:31

I doubt it very much. He finished 78 seconds behind the winner so he was even close to being lapped.

Great drive though to reach the points, but then he lacked the pace.

• Gill Parry (@welshwitch) said on 13th May 2012, 20:05

He lacked pace because he only stopped twice and his tyres were shot nearing the end, which is why Vettel got past him. As for being 78 seconds behind the winner, are you for real? He started 24th because of a penalty, how does that have any bearing on what’s going to happen at Monaco??

2. xeroxpt (@) said on 13th May 2012, 17:18

I gave it an eight but again for the worst racing venue on F1 the pole sitter won, on the plus another driver and another construtor won but it wasnt because of Catalunya nor because of great racing that today this was epic this was epic because 5 different DRIVERS and TEAMS have won.

3. matt88 (@matt88) said on 13th May 2012, 17:22

8/10. probably the most exciting Spanish GP since the rainy 1996 race, but it’s been spoiled by an anti-climatic ending.

• matt88 (@matt88) said on 13th May 2012, 17:26

i’m a ferrari fan, but i’m very happy for Frank Williams and his team, they didn’t deserve to be at the back of the competitive teams. That Cosworth engine was really damaging them…

4. Lamag (@lamag) said on 13th May 2012, 17:33

QUE VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!!!

5. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 13th May 2012, 17:34

I thought this race accurately highlighted some of the downsides of DRS. With quite a few DRS passes, the attacker was already a car length ahead by the time they got to turn 1 – not terribly exciting; otherwise, there may have been more side-by-side battles in the first corner.

Another downside is that if there is a train of cars, with the second car not close enough to pass, it’s completely impossible for anyone to overtake on the main straight – very silly and also pretty boring.

The race was very enjoyable, though. I gave it an 8 though I fear I may have been a bit skimpy.

6. sid_prasher (@) said on 13th May 2012, 17:49

I think first of all today an apology is due to Maldonado from the fans who have dismissed him as a mere “pay” driver. It was a brilliantly driven race by him and the team.

I guess Fernando will feel that under the circumstances a win was possible – I don’t think Ferrari is really fast enough to mix with the top teams yet…but Alonso this year has not dropped a single point due to a mistake.
    I am still not sure of the reasons for the drive through penalty given to Vettel and Felipe…

The way Kimi was going at the end – it looks like Lotus made a mistake by keeping him out for too long. If he had been brought in a couple of laps earlier – he could well have come second again.

7. BBT (@bbt) said on 13th May 2012, 18:04

Not great, 5- 6 out of ten and two of those only because Williams won

8. James (@goodyear92) said on 13th May 2012, 18:57

Been on alot of F1 sites recently. No one pulling Kimi to pieces for his demeanour after the race? He was extremely annoyed and not bothering to hide it, but when LH did the same after 3rd in AUS, everyone hit the roof. Don’t get me wrong, I think Kimi had every right to be annoyed, so did Lewis in Aus, but any excuse for people to rip him to pieces. Well let’s see you try it after today, our boy did us proud and completely demolished Mr. I-Look-After-Tyres. On another note, Pastor was amazing today and I hope everyone involved in the fire is ok. That was not something you want to see happen on a day where they should be over the moon.
    The best drivers today:
    Pastor Maldanado
    Lewis Hamilton
    Sebastian Vettel (and it pains me to say that)

• adas said on 13th May 2012, 19:27

big differences~` kimi nvr blame anyone apart of himself~~!!

• Gill Parry (@welshwitch) said on 13th May 2012, 19:51

Yes he did he put some blame on his team, try watching it again

• James (@goodyear92) said on 13th May 2012, 19:56

Firstly; if you’re gonna bother to reply, try using proper grammar and spelling.
        Secondly; after AUS LH never blamed anyone in his interviews, he was just annoyed in general. We don’t know if it was at the team, or at himself for not getting the best out of his car. Probably the latter given the type of driver he is. To say Kimi never blames the team is ridiculous and would be wrong anyway. The team are at fault sometimes and deserve to be called out on it. The team have made many mistakes with LH this year, but he has stood behind them 100%, so your claim is completely unfounded.
        Thirdly; There is no difference between Kimi’s demeanour today and Hamilton’s in Australia after the same result (3rd), but everyone (the press included) pulled him apart and have said nothing of Kimi. It is clear hypocrisy and there is no excuse for it.

• uan (@uan) said on 13th May 2012, 21:50

i think it’s because Kimi is “Kimi” and his demeanor always seems that way. Hamilton runs hot and cold. Now Alonso was interesting as he seemed genuinely happy with his 2nd even though Pic may have cost him the victory.

• Gill Parry (@welshwitch) said on 13th May 2012, 22:34

His demeanour seeming ‘that way’ is nothing to do with it, Lewis is always being criticised for blaming his team or for being sullen in the press conferences, but ‘adas’ after ‘james’ made the point that no-one said anything about Raikkonen during the press conference, stated that he only blamed himself, the fact is he DID blame his team, where are the criticisms for him or is it just Lewis who isn’t allowed to speak his mind? As for Lewis blowing hot and cold, he’s been superb this season but with people like you he just can’t win can he??

• James (@goodyear92) said on 13th May 2012, 22:47

Ah ‘Kimi is Kimi’ and if it was someone else, there would be some other excuse. I’m tired of hearing excuses as to why it’s one rule for LH and another for everyone else. He runs hot and cold? What you mean he actually has a personality? He’s passionate about the sport perhaps and wears his heart on his sleeve. I think his honesty with how he feels is to be applauded, not shunned. What would you prefer it if he just became another P.R machine?

• uan (@uan) said on 13th May 2012, 23:03

@welshwitch, wow what’s with the “with people like you” comment? I didn’t say anything bad about Lewis, nor was I criticizing him, just offering a possible reason why a similar reaction by a driver might be seen differently by the media.

Not to mention that Lewis is going to get treated differently by the British press being a British driver and a lightning rod both in positive and negative ways over the past 5 years than a non British, whether it’s Kimi or someone else.

As for Hamilton, he’s done an excellent job this year and if there’s ever been a time where he could rightly blame the team for his woes, this is definitely the year and to his credit he hasn’t done so.

• uan (@uan) said on 13th May 2012, 23:17

@James really, one rule for LH and another for other drivers? After Malaysia, Vettel called NK an idiot right after the race and he gets hammered for that statement. I recall Lewis having similar comments after Monaco a year ago.

And then Vettel gets criticized for standing by what he said right after the race as being how he felt in that moment. Would folks prefer if he became another PR machine? (even funnier is, everyone blaming Vettel as the “crash kid” even when Johnny Herbert came on SkyTV, as the race steward in Malaysia and showed how NK jinked to right 1.5 meters while looking in his LEFT mirror lol).

Lewis is ahead of the curve in that he is one the major personalities in F1. Because of that he gets treated the way he does. I’m sure Kimi (or his fans) get tired of the “lack of motivation” talk that always surrounds him. Hamilton and Button don’t go to Mugello and it’s no big deal, Kimi doesn’t go and it’s Lotus needing to deal with Kimi being Kimi etc.

Can you imagine being Massa? He spins the car and he’s a loser who should be out of F1, someone else spins the car and they are “pushing it”.

Or relevant to today, how about Maldonado being a pay driver who shouldn’t be in F1? So relax, you’re a fan of Lewis, it’s all good.

• James (@goodyear92) said on 14th May 2012, 1:50

@uan Calling another driver that is a bit different to just being generally unhappy with 3rd place when it could have been a win, yet the reaction was the same. Lewis’ behaviour was being called disgusting and there was no call for it. Although calling a driver what he did is worse, I still don’t think that deserved the reaction it got either. Lewis’ comments in Monaco recieved extremely heated comments online also, he apologised for what he said even though he explained it (like Vettel) was in the heat of the moment. But Vettel didn’t actually apologise for what he said, just gave a reason why he did it and stood by his comments. For that LH should have been given a bit of credit, for standing up and saying sorry.
            Hamilton was pushing to go to the test, but ultimately the team wanted the test drivers there. Kimi had no intentions to go and that (much like Button) showed a lack of interest in the progress of the car. I don’t think you can compare LH and KR as they weren’t there for different reasons, but I see your point on JB.
            The reason others don’t get called rubbish when they spin is usually because it doesn’t happen anywhere near as often, or they were at least going fast before it happened. Massa does it too much (even when he was at his best) and isn’t going fast when he does it. So the comments are deserved and that Ferrari seat shouldn’t be his much longer.
            The pay driver comment was justified untill he proved himself after him being promoted had resulted in another very talented driver, with no real sponsors, losing his seat. He had already answered the critics before today in my opinion, but he might never have done and people have every right to dislike rich drivers ousting talented, but poorer drivers.

• uan (@uan) said on 14th May 2012, 3:14

@goodyear92 I don’t think we’re that far apart in our views, though I do think we are probably speaking past each other. My general point is that each driver has fans and distractors and some of the distractors can be a bit over the top. More specifically, I think the issue you’re bringing up has to do with the fact that Hamilton has distractors that are what I would call distractors of Hamilton, rather than pro-Kimi or pro-any other driver. I do think you’re lumping them all together. For instance, I didn’t comment on Hamilton’s reaction in AUS or on Kimi’s today.

I have also seen situations where Webber had been even more sour after a podium than Hamilton (Malaysia 2010), but he didn’t get hammered for it. It’s easy to forget that these guys just finished 1.5-2 hrs of pretty intense racing when we see them.

These distractors probably also feel quite justified in their criticism of Hamilton in the same way you feel that the pay driver comments were justified towards Maldonado until he proved himself.

There are also certain themes that always seem to follow certain drivers. One common theme that follows Hamilton is that he blames others, including the team, for poor results, and never takes responsibility for whether he could have performed better. Kimi gets hammered for “commitment”. Vettel for the crash kid thing or he can’t pass. Button can only win in changeable conditions, etc. Right or wrong, those are the memes people respond to, even when there’s clear evidence to the contrary.

The whole point is that fans and the media are never fair or equal in how they view individual drivers. And where ever someone lands on the continuum from the most ardent fanatical fan, to the most spite-filled distractor, they each feel that their position is completely justified by objective facts and sound reasoning. Such is the nature of sport (and life :).

• Kimi4WC said on 14th May 2012, 0:12

If you watch closely, Kimi was actually very happy for Pastor and looked satisfied on podium.

There is only so much he can do to try encourage the team for better performance, you’d imagine they didn’t do same mistakes again and again. Plus Kimi always was like that, he just speaks his mind or doesn’t say anything.

• James (@goodyear92) said on 14th May 2012, 1:34

No if you watch closely and actually listen to what he says, he isn’t very happy with today. I don’t blame him, but think those who reacted so venomously to LH in Australia need to stop being such hypocrites.

• adas said on 14th May 2012, 3:10

kimi blame the team?? He said the car lack of pace in the first part of the race which cost him alot~~!! and he also said is easy to say which choices to make afterwards~~ means that he only intends to look forward to make up for these races in which his team screwed him up almost every 1 of them! As for Mugello, Lotus make the wrong call in assigning Jerome to test for day 1, results in the team falling behind schedule thats why they ask Romain to test for 2 day in order to get constant data from the same driver to compare the efficiency of new parts~!! It wasnt kimi who make that call~~

• James (@goodyear92) said on 14th May 2012, 11:50

YES! The ‘choices’ was a hint at the calls his team made today e.g the options on his second stint. Try listening. You seem to think I’m having a go at him for being annoyed, which I’m not, he has every right to be, he’s human. But the same people that pull Lewis apart for being moody with 3rd in AUS and always blaming his team (he doesn’t) never say the same when other drivers do it.

• Kimi4WC said on 14th May 2012, 3:33

You should really get out of the cave, Kimi was like that for 11 of his F1 years.

Further, I’m not gonna get into difference between Australia and Spain, as obviously you lack basic perception of human emotions. Cheer up emo, Hamilton actually getting more and more support across the board of how he handling things lately. Win will come eventually.

• James (@goodyear92) said on 14th May 2012, 11:55

There is a difference between generally being monotone and uniterested with the press, to obviously being annoyed at only 3rd place and not happy with the ‘choices’ made in the race. There is no difference. They both feigned smiles, even though they were unhappy with 3rd. Yet LH’s behaviour got called disgusting, which was over the top. Both of them have every right to show how they feel, but if people are gonna pull one person apart for it, then not do it to someone else who does the same, then they are hypocrites. Emo? No… just no. I know he is, and he deserves after how he has performed this season. Mature and brilliant.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 14th May 2012, 3:06

@goodyear92 – As much as it pains you to say that Vettel was one of the best on Sunday, it pains me to agree that Hamilton definitely shouldn’t have been criticised for not looking happy in Australia. He wanted to win the race, but his teammate did. F1 drivers, especially the champions, aim high and don’t want second best, like Vettel in Hungary. Lewis had the right to be annoyed. Just like Kimi Raikkonen yesterday.

• James (@goodyear92) said on 14th May 2012, 12:00

It doesn’t pain me that much, it was more of a joke, as I really disliked him in 2010. I think Vettel has been brilliant since the start of 2011 all the way to now. I have a massive respect for him and I’m glad he has overcome the problems that defined him in 2010 (the crashing and overtaking problems) to become one of the absoloute best drivers on the grid. I’m just not a fan, maybe it’s because I’m in constant fear of a Vettel/Red Bull domination repeat.
        I agree with you completely. I was only pointing out because I think most people have been hypocrites, but F1 drivers should absoloutely be able to show how they feel.

9. cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 13th May 2012, 19:11

8 out of 10 for me. Very close to a perfect race. But I still feel the DRS detracts from it.

10. Shrieker (@shrieker) said on 13th May 2012, 19:28

Wasn’t half bad. Deserves 4 points.

11. Ginger (@ginger) said on 13th May 2012, 19:36

9. Amazing result, Williams win for the first time in years. Lots of action, shunts and penalties. Great race by Lewis to make the strategy work and finish ahead of JB. Ferrari need to take action, loyalty is running out for poor Massa.

12. Gill Parry (@welshwitch) said on 13th May 2012, 19:48

7/10 Fantastic drive by Pastor Maldonado, well deserved win for Williams (shame about the fire, hope the damage isn’t too bad and everyone is OK). Lewis was amazing, confident and smiling through what must have been a bitter blow after all his hard work in qualifying (he would have still been ahead with the right fuel), complementing his team, his fellow drivers, giving us what F1 should be about sportsmanship, great driving and overtaking. 24th to 8th and only 2 stops, so much for not being able to look after his tyres where are his critics now??

Drivers of the day : Maldonado, Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel and Kobayashi – I wasn’t going to watch today in protest over Hamilton’s penalty but you lads made me glad I did, Thanks x

13. John H (@john-h) said on 13th May 2012, 20:01

Webber: “If you push you have to pit”.

It might be a good random show, but this isn’t F1 for me. I don’t get why people are voting 10, but once again I guess its what people want so so be it.

14. mphipps (@mphipps) said on 13th May 2012, 20:18

It’s a 9 for me – there was so much going on and the best race of the season for me. Fantastic drive by Pastor and awesome to see Williams back on top after so many years: brought a little tear to the eye!

15. michiamogino (@michiamogino) said on 13th May 2012, 20:33