Vote for your Spanish GP Driver of the Weekend

2012 Spanish Grand Prix

Which F1 driver had the best race weekend in Spain?

Compare all the drivers’ performances below and vote for who you think was the best driver of the Spanish Grand Prix weekend.

Driver notes

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Barcelona, 2012Sebastian Vettel – Minimised his running in qualifying to save tyres for the race. But a drive-through penalty for failing to slow sufficiently for yellow flags dropped him back into the pack. Passed Rosberg and the McLarens in his final stint to claim sixth, but it looked like fifth was the best he had on offer.
Mark Webber – His single run in Q2 was not good enough for him to reach Q3, so the pole sitter of the last two Spanish Grands Prix started 11th. Lost a place at the start, then pitted early in an attempt to make up ground. Like his team mate, his progress was slowed by front wing damage, necessitating a replacement. Couldn’t get past Hulkenberg for the final point at the end.

Jenson Button – Didn’t look comfortable in the McLaren at any point during the weekend. Missed Q3 and had a quiet race, finishing behind his team mate who had started last.
Lewis Hamilton – Faced with the sort of frustration that led to some of his worst performances last year, Hamilton responded commendably well. Relegated from first on the grid to last through no fault of his own, he took places when they were on offer and stayed his hand at other times, preserving his tyres. Was the only driver to complete the lap with two stops and even another McLaren pit stop blunder didn’t put him off his stride.

Fernando Alonso – The Ferrari looked a much more competitive proposition in Spain – at least, in Alonso’s hands. Out-qualified the Lotuses and snatched the lead at the start. But slipped behind Maldonado in the pit stops and, despite getting close, couldn’t quite take it back. Shares the lead of the championship with Vettel.
Felipe Massa – Over half a second off his team mate in qualifying, for which he blamed traffic, Massa started 14 places behind the other Ferrari. Disputed his penalty for speeding under yellow flags which dropped him behind Paul di Resta. He finished there, lapped by Alonso.

Michael Schumacher – Scraped into Q3 and moved up two places at the start to hold sixth, pressuring Romain Grosjean. But after Grosjean passed Senna and began to pull away, Schumacher’s eagerness to pass got the better of him and he ran into the back of the Williams. The stewards docked him five places on the grid for the next race.
Nico Rosberg – Couldn’t make the tyres last in his final stint and was passed by Kobayashi and Vettel. Had the race been 67 laps long instead of 66 he would have lost out to Hamilton too.

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Barcelona, 2012Kimi Raikkonen – Out-qualified by Grosjean but moved ahead immediately at the start. Said after the race the car had the potential to win but they didn’t get the strategy right. Spent the final stint reeling in Alonso for second place, finishing 0.6 seconds behind.
Romain Grosjean – Not for the first time this year he didn’t make best use of a good grid position. Quickly passed Senna and Rosberg after his first pit stop to take up fourth. Like Raikkonen, made a late final pit stop and was flying at the end, setting fastest lap.

Paul di Resta – There wasn’t much to choose between the Force Indias in qualifying. In the race the team felt they’d underestimated how well the tyres would last and Di Resta fell from 12th to 14th.
Nico Hulkenberg – Like his team mate in the last race, Hulkenberg had to cling on to his points finish, holding off Webber by two-tenths of a second for his second points finish of the year.

Kamui Kobayashi – Thwarted by an hydraulic problem in qualifying which prevented him from setting a time in Q3, Kobayashi held onto his ninth place at the start. A bold pass on Button halfway through the race allowed him to claim fifth, building up enough of a gap to stay safe from the recovering Vettel.
Sergio Perez – Started a career-best fifth but clipped Grosjean at the start and collected a puncture which destroyed his race.

Daniel Ricciardo – No Q3 heroics this weekend – in fact he was out-qualified by his team mate for the first time this year. He and Vergne were closely-matched in the race until the final dozen laps, when Ricciardo began to drop back.
Jean-Eric Vergne – Finished five seconds ahead of his team mate as he lost performance sharply in the final laps. Nonetheless he finished ahead of Ricciardo for the fourth race in a row.

Start, Barcelona, 2012Pastor Maldonado – Only 14th-fastest on Friday but said he was feeling confident. He was second-fastest in final practice and repeated the feat in qualifying before Hamilton’s penalty handed him his first pole position. Lost the lead to Alonso at the start but an aggressively early second stop got him ahead again. After that he withstood considerable pressure to deliver his first win and Williams’ first since 2004.
Bruno Senna – The contrast in fortunes between the Williams drivers was especially stark on Saturday as Senna spun out during Q1. In the race he delayed his first pit stop, moving up to seventh. On lap 12, shortly after being passed by Grosjean, he was rammed out of the race by Schumacher.

Heikki Kovalainen – A mistake in qualifying left him behind his team mate on the grid. But he passed Petrov at the start and finished the race 15 seconds ahead. He was 24 seconds behind the next car which, for the second time this year for Caterham, was Massa’s Ferrari.
Vitaly Petrov – Caterham did not run their new exhaust set-up in Spain, but despite that Petrov was three-tenths off Senna’s time in Q1. He wasn’t happy with his KERS map in the race and steadily dropped back from his team mate.

Pedro de la Rosa – Ran HRT’s new aerodynamic package and briefly stayed in front of Charles Pic at the start. Crossed the line in last place but was pleased to see the chequered flag at the Circuit de Catalunya for the first time since 1999.
Narain Karthikeyan – Retired shortly after his second pit-stop with a technical problem.

Timo Glock – Started behind his team mate for the second time after encountering yellow flags on his second run in Q1. Moved ahead at the start and brought the car home 18th, lapped twice.
Charles Pic – Pic had a spin early on in the race and was struggling with a driveshaft problem when Alonso came up to lap him. The stewards found Pic didn’t move aside quickly enough and handed him a drive-through penalty, but his car’s problem had already become terminal by then.

Qualifying and race results summary

Started Gap to team mate Laps leading team mate Pitted Finished Gap to team mate
Sebastian Vettel 7th -0.093s 65/65 3 6th Didn’t finish on same laps
Vitaly Petrov 18th -0.23s 2/65 3 17th +15.151s
Pedro de la Rosa 22nd -3.567s 18/22 4 19th
Narain Karthikeyan 23rd +3.567s 4/22 2
Timo Glock 21st +0.45s 33/35 3 18th
Charles Pic 20th -0.45s 2/35 2

Review the race data

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver do you think did the best job this weekend?

Cast your vote below and explain your choice in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the Spanish Grand Prix weekend?

• Sebastian Vettel (1%)
  • Mark Webber (0%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (28%)
  • Jenson Button (0%)
  • Fernando Alonso (6%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Michael Schumacher (1%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Kimi Raikkonen (3%)
  • Romain Grosjean (0%)
  • Paul di Resta (0%)
  • Nico Hulkenberg (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (3%)
  • Sergio Perez (0%)
  • Daniel Ricciardo (0%)
  • Jean-Eric Vergne (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (57%)
  • Bruno Senna (0%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (0%)
  • Narain Karthikeyan (0%)
  • Pedro de la Rosa (0%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Charles Pic (1%)

Total Voters: 754

Loading ... Loading ...

Rate the Race: Spanish Grand Prix

What did you think of this weekend’s race? Give your verdict here:

2012 Spanish Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Spanish Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images, Lotus F1 Team/LAT, Williams/LAT

202 comments on Vote for your Spanish GP Driver of the Weekend

1. Bernard (@bernard) said on 14th May 2012, 19:41

Maldonado won the race but he certainly wasn’t ‘Driver of the Weekend‘.

2. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 14th May 2012, 19:47

It’s fairly safe to assume that Maldonado will win this poll, and deservedly so. But my DOTW was Kamui. He was feisty and entertaining in the race, put in some good overtakes and really did outstanding overall in my book. If not for his Q3 problem he could have started and finished higher

3. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 14th May 2012, 20:09

Maldonado for me… It’s difficult to keep Alonso behind!! Unless you’re Petrov…

4. Pelican (@pelican) said on 14th May 2012, 20:21

Pastor Maldonado. I never thought he was for real–I was wrong.

5. BBT (@bbt) said on 14th May 2012, 20:43

Button, no doubt.

6. BBT (@bbt) said on 14th May 2012, 20:44

I voted Maldonado of course

7. MjatNaz (@joebravo) said on 14th May 2012, 21:08

i gonna say MS, tq for the crash..we need more crash

8. Michael (@michaelf1) said on 14th May 2012, 21:21

heres a rhyme i made up about the race!

Pasta we need to go faster!
    Alonsos catchung us behind
    Don’t worry thank pits stops it’ fine!
    Lets have pasta!
    Pastor: you eat me?
    NO NO! FOOD!
    Pastor: confused. AHHH! LETS JUST SMILE ANYWAY!

9. cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 14th May 2012, 21:23

I’d love to know what percent of those who voted for Hamilton class themselves as Hamilton fans.

Let’s face it, Maldonado was far and above the driver of the weekend. In his lowly Williams, he was 2nd fastest in p3, grabbed pole and won the race.

The fact that over 100 people have voted Hamilton above Maldonado is really worrying.

• James (@goodyear92) said on 14th May 2012, 21:40

‘Let’s face it, Maldanado was far and above driver of the weekend’. Inherited pole (was off it by 0.5s), lost position at the start, got it back through pit stops, didn’t have to make any overtakes and didn’t look like he would have been able to pass Alonso had his team not done it for him. He was very good, yes, but not perfect and to say he deserves it far and above anyone else is just your opinion.
      Lowly Williams? You can’t go above 100% of your car’s capabilities, but very few drivers can achieve 100% on a regular basis. He put it 2nd behind Lewis, so it’s not a lowly car. It is in fact a very fast car and has shown as such in all the races.
      The fact that over 100 people have voted for LH is not worrying at all. It was because he was faultless all weekend. Grabbed pole, demolishing his teammate in the process. Had it removed through no fault of his own and clawed his way back from 24th to 8th in the race. He 2 stopped and managed 31 laps on tyres that shouldn’t have been able to do that, and was still faster than a few 3 stoppers in virtually equal cars. Including his teammate. His overtakes were sublime and he maximised what was possible from that position, which makes me wonder what he could have done from pole. Don’t forget that making progress through the field this year is very hard, the cars are a lot closer. That he is in a faster car doesn’t mean much, because it’s not that much faster than the mid-field teams. The tyres also make it hard to overtake because they struggle in dirty air.
      All in all, Hamilton was perfect this weekend and to think he doesn’t deserve a vote for driver of the weekend is extremely short-sighted. I wonder how many people who have no appreciation for his drive are Hamilton haters…

• cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 14th May 2012, 23:13

@goodyear92

I’m not too sure what you’re alluding to there mate, but I’m no “hater”. And it’s not that I don’t appreciate his drive, yep he had a great weekend from a driving perspective. But for me Maldonado (pinch yourself and remind yourself it was PASTOR MALDONADO!!!!! that won a race, i never thought I’d see a day) was sublime. See my post below..

• James (@goodyear92) said on 15th May 2012, 14:04

What I was alluding to was that anyone who can’t understand how good he was, not just from a driving perspective, but everything that weekend. Kept a good attitude after being thrown to the back of the grid and produced one of the best drives (of anyone) this season.
          Maldanado made some small errors (it came down to that in deciding between them), but Lewis made none. He was 10/10 this weekend and I don’t understand how anyone could be confused why people would vote for him. I’m a massive Lewis fan, but this is only the second vote I’ve given for him in DOTW.

• James (@goodyear92) said on 15th May 2012, 14:06

What I was alluding to was that anyone who can’t understand how good he was, not just from a driving perspective, but everything that weekend, must have a dislike towards him. – Edited.

• Adrian (@adrian_debian) said on 14th May 2012, 21:44

I think Lewis proved a lot this weekend as well, did well his job in practice and qualy, got over the fact that he was relegated to the back of the grid from pole position on no fault of his own. Did great in his race, with 2 tyre changes (being accused in the past that he can’t manage tyres) and finished 8th, above people like Button, Webber or Massa.

All in all i hope next weekend Kimi wins so we have 6 races with 6 different winners from 6 different teams :D

• DT (@dt) said on 14th May 2012, 21:48

why is the choice of Hamilton as the DOTW worrying? people have different opinions and you have yours. Pastor didn’t grab pole for staters. it was handed to him because Hamilton was slapped with a penalty. You can’t tell me Hamilton’s job of moving up the field from 24th to 8th on a 2 stop strategy is an ordinary achievement. Pastor did not win the race with a slow car

• cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 14th May 2012, 23:09

@dt
        I think it’s worrying in terms of the standard of F1 debate. But that’s just my opinion.

And for what it’s worth, I don’t think Hamilton’s race was ordinary. I’ve never suggested so. He drove a great race, and had a great weekend (purely from a driving perspective).

But Pastor Maldonado drove a spectacular race and a spectacular weekend. He was stunning. To be just so level headed after everything we’ve seen from him so far in F1 (last year at Spa & Monaco, Australia this year), it really was amazing. Let’s not forget, this is a driver who scored 1 point last year. And he just won a race.

And Hamilton drove better?

• Jake (@jleigh) said on 15th May 2012, 0:40

@cduk_mugello you say it’s worrying in terms of the standard of debate. I don’t understand this, people having differing opinions is what can spark debates, with people giving thought out arguments for each side of the debate. What YOU are doing is worrying in terms of the debate. You are giving you’re opinion as if it is fact, and dismissing everyone else’s opinion as incorrect, biased and irrelevant.

• Gill Parry (@welshwitch) said on 15th May 2012, 10:24

@ Jake : Well said!

• cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 15th May 2012, 20:23

@jleigh

I have not once told everyone that they are biased and irrelevant. And to an extent I haven’t told everyone they are wrong.
            As I’ve explained in other posts, my opinion is that Maldonado was the better driver.

I didn’t think I needed to specifically state when something I write is my opinion and not fact.

• Kelly (@kelly) said on 15th May 2012, 0:14

Pastor did grab pole. Hamilton was excluded from qualifying because he, and the team didn’t have enough fuel in their car as it states in the rules that everyone else on the starting grid managed to follow. Sure it was overly harsh to be excluded from all qualifying but that’s the rules (or the way they were interpreted). I really liked Hamiltons drive and honestly wouldn’t mind him starting lower down the field more often if we can see some great driving as he showed in Spain, not 24th though. My vote went for Maldonado though. Nice drive, consistent, win and saved his injured cousin from the fire in the Williams garage.

• Gill Parry (@welshwitch) said on 14th May 2012, 21:51

@cduk_mugello : Really worrying? Yes …. yes …I see what you mean ……. My God …… it’s the end of the world as we know it …… people having differing opinions on who they think deserves ‘Best Driver of the Weekend’ in a VOTE!
      Seriously, who are you to question whether we voted for Hamilton as fans or not? I am a Lewis fan and if I’d truly believed Maldonado to be the best driver over the weekend, I WOULD HAVE VOTED FOR HIM, get over yourself!

• cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 14th May 2012, 23:00

@welshwitch

Gill, it wasn’t aimed at you. I didn’t single you out. I didn’t say Gill Parry how dare you vote for Lewis Hamilton. But for some reason you want to play the man rather than the ball.

And yep in comparison to the Sahel drought etc it isn’t really that worrying. But this isn’t really the arena to discuss other topics. I just think it’s worrying in showing the level of debate on this website.

What’s astounding is that you explain to me that people have differing opinions.. then chastise me for having a different opinion to you.

Well.. I’m just another f1 fan. I didn’t question whether you voted for Hamilton as a fan. All I said was I wondered how many people that voted for Hamilton consider themselves Hamilton fans.

• Gill Parry (@welshwitch) said on 15th May 2012, 0:22

@cduk_mugello :Errrmmm …….. sorry at what point did I chastise you for having differing opinions? -assuming that the differing opinion in question is indeed the relevant one …. who people choose to vote for and their right to do so without being criticised for it or questioned as to whether they are trully Hamilton fans! I’m assuming you voted for Maldanado although you didn’t actually say, where in my reply did I criticise you for voting for him or question why? Answer: I didn’t…. As for the ‘All I said was I wondered how many people that voted for Hamilton consider themselves fans’ what difference does it make and why would you be worried because of this?

I really didn’t take it personally, I was merely explaining the reason why I voted for Hamilton and not Maldonado as I can’t really speak for anyone else and what the hell does ‘Play the man not the ball’ mean?

Read your first post again. you said ‘Let’s face it, Maldonado was far and above the driver of the weekend’ …. in your opinion, which you’re entitled to …. in MY opinion Hamilton was …is that OK with you, I wouldn’t want it to worry you too much?

• Gill Parry (@welshwitch) said on 15th May 2012, 10:51

@ cduk_mugello : Ahhhh a football phrase!
            “Play the ball not the man”

We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.
            The “ball” is our personal view and the “man” is someone with the opposing view.
            May I just point out that I haven’t made a personal attack on you, so for future reference, maybe you should find out exactly what a phrase means before using it.

• cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 15th May 2012, 20:18

@welshwitch

I didn’t questing whether they were true Hamilton fans per se, I just wondered what percentage of people voting for Hamilton consider themselves as fan of his. Anyhow, just wondering where the ‘right’ you talk of exists from? Where is it enshrined?

maybe you should find out exactly what a phrase means before using it

I know only too well what it means.. that’s why I used it. You personalise a discussion as soon as you start to say things like “Seriously, who are you to question..” & “get over yourself!”

The ‘ball’ in this case would be the discussion of Maldonado v Hamilton. Apart from citing your democratic right to vote in any way you want, you didn’t really give much reason why Hamilton should be DOTW. Instead, you focused your attack on discrediting me; ‘the man’.

• Ral (@ral) said on 14th May 2012, 22:16

If I had to class myself as a fan of a single driver, it would be either Kimi Raikkonen or Kamui Kobayashi. I still voted Hamilton though, because over the whole weekend he clearly did the best job possible.

Maldonado got the best result possible, but the two are not necessarily the same. I loved his driving this weekend, he did an awesome job in the race and qualifying both. Both drivers played the cards they were given. Maldonado got the result, but Hamilton had to work so much harder in the race that it is in my opinion hard to argue that he wasn’t the driver of the weekend.

Clearly a lot of people think differently and that’s fine. I don’t have any misgivings about Maldonado winning the vote, as I say he played the cards he was given as best as he could and that meant he ended up with the win. But discounting the Hamilton votes as fanboys’ is a bit short-sighted.

• Gill Parry (@welshwitch) said on 15th May 2012, 10:37

@Ral : Again, well said, everyone has a right to vote for whomever they feel deserves it without being insulted or having it questioned, even if someone e.g. votes for Karthikayen for the reason that he goes out there every race for no reward.

• Karthikeyan (@ridiculous) said on 15th May 2012, 12:03

There were 57 votes as Hamilton as DOTW during Monaco last year on day 1

• caci99 (@caci99) said on 15th May 2012, 14:30

@cduk_mugello
      I am no Hamilton fan, but he’s got my full support for the Spanish weekend for reasons I have explained in my post. He was the best in the field to me, and deserved my vote.

10. oggie509 (@oggie509) said on 14th May 2012, 22:15

i got tweeted by direct message by @SimonLazenbySky and his driver of the day was Maldonado but obviously reckons Lewis had a great drive (@Oggie509 is my twitter if you were wondering) i’m inclined to agree

11. wigster (@wigster) said on 14th May 2012, 22:24

I’ve voted for Hamilton, though I think Maldonado had at least an equally good weekend and he’ll win the vote.

Firstly Hamilton was the best in qualifying by a mile, even if he’d had another litre of fuel in his car he’d have still got pole. He then had a very strong race for someone who gets stick for not being as good on his tyres as his team mate. He only stopped twice, once less then anybody else, yet still come the end of race was close to Vettel and Rosberg, both of whom were driving fast cars and started much further up the grid than he did. He could have thrown his toys out of the pram after qualy but didn’t and did an excellent job of damage limitation.

Maldonado did have possibly his best weekend yet in F1, however he isn’t driving last years Williams, and we’ve seen in the races so far that the current Williams can be close to the front of the field on merit, so for me whilst I was impressed by his performance, bearing in mind where the likes of Red Bull and Mclaren were a Williams at or near the front wasn’t entirely unexpected.

12. I voted for Hamilton. Yes Maldonado was great all weekend, but Lewis would have probably walked the race, he just looked so hooked up this weekend! Hamilton because he performed the best all weekend. I imagine both will be in contention this weekend, Pastor is something of a Monaco specialist!

13. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 14th May 2012, 22:41

To not vote for Maldonado after he took a brilliant win would just feel wrong for me.
    Honourable mentions go to Hamilton for keeping reasonably calm over what was obviously a difficult weekend for him, and Alonso for putting in a great performance for his home crowd.
    I’d give credit to Raikkonen and Grosjean, but I feel they should have won the race so therefore they underperformed in my eyes..

14. pking008 (@pking008) said on 14th May 2012, 23:05

Point of correction. Button was fastest in Prac Two with a 1.23,399 and was 4th fastest in Prac One. while Hamilton was 8th Prac One and 4th Prac two. On top of that, Button went faster in Quali than he did in free practice. So why every website on the planet is reporting that Button did not look right or comfortable all weekend is beyond me.

15. mrgrieves (@mrgrieves) said on 14th May 2012, 23:22

Lewis getting 30% is a joke! Nobody ever gets such recognition for doing similar or better job, Even the live broadcasts didnt go nuts about it being the biggest surprise.

Pastor wins it all day. On the ball from Satarday morning then was the star of the race.

• Kimi4WC said on 15th May 2012, 0:29

He was very slow behind slower cars(he drives McLaren, come on) and comparing to Vettel and their both circumstances his race was not much different.

No one could touch top4s race performance in Spain at any point.

But hey, Hamilton is in the race for WC so he is followed closely so his achievements as his mistakes always taken out of proportion.

What I like about Hamilton this season, he can look back and say: I did my best.

• Gill Parry (@welshwitch) said on 15th May 2012, 0:30

Oh God another one …… 30% of the votes were for Hamilton so what, you had your vote we had ours …………. Live with it!

• Gill Parry (@welshwitch) said on 15th May 2012, 0:35

This is a ‘BEST DRIVER OF THE WEEKEND poll not ‘BEST SUPRISE DRIVER OF THE WEEKEND’

• Kimi4WC said on 15th May 2012, 1:34

And how was he best exactly? With him taking ages to pass a much slower cars in a McLaren, four cars in front of him dropping out which he would have no chance to pass regarding his lack of pace through out whole GP. Geee

Just another GP where McLaren seems to lack race pace, they doing great during quali though.

• Gill Parry (@welshwitch) said on 15th May 2012, 2:44

@ Kimi4WC : I wasn’t saying he was, I was just pointing out that it’s Best Driver of the Weekend not, Best Suprise Driver, so Hamilton is entitled to be included even if, in some people’s opinions he didn’t do anything out of the ordinary. But just for the record in my opinion he was the best driver over the weekend and I’ve already given my reasons.