New Jersey F1 circuit layout details revealed in official plans

2013 F1 calendar

New Jersey F1 2013 street track plan

Plans for the street track in New Jersey which will host America’s second F1 race on the 2013 F1 calendar have been revealed online.

The design by Hermann Tilke confirm the proposed 5.15km (3.2-mile) layout that was revealed when the race was announced last October.

The clockwise layout will have its start/finish line next to the ferry terminal by the Hudson River.

The track will cross a bridge over a railway after which the cars’ passage through a series of natural curves will be slowed by the addition of a chicane.

The final part of the lap include a long, high-speed stretch from the turn 17 hairpin to a pair of 90-degree turns which return the cars to the start/finish straight and pit complex.

You can view the plans in full here.

Thanks to Ryan Williams for the tip via Jalopnik.

F1 in New York

83 comments on New Jersey F1 circuit layout details revealed in official plans

1. thekingofspa (@) said on 17th May 2012, 15:55

Full of tight 90 degree turns? Thumbs down.
    Turns 7 to 11, 16 and 17? Thumbs up.

• tomwestin (@tomwestin) said on 18th May 2012, 0:41

Actually, I kind of like the series of 90 degree corners around the start/finish area – it reminds me of Adelaide turns 4 – 8.
      Not 100% convinced by the chicane in the middle of an awesome looking series of bends in an otherwise quick part of the track, but I assume that’s to do with existing road layouts.
      Overall, i think it looks a really cool track, especially with the elevation changes.

2. Ryan Williams (@ryanwilliams) said on 17th May 2012, 16:47

Wonder if this will be a Double-DRS track? Plenty of straights for it!

Possibly T7 to 11 into the tight-right hander, and then one coming into or out of the hairpin (T14)

General layout seems okay-ish. Not sure about the very tight sections at the start and end of the lap, looks like a bit of an accident blackspot to me…

3. maxthecat said on 17th May 2012, 17:14

Looks a little dull, hopefully the location will add to it.

4. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 17th May 2012, 21:38

I’m really looking forward to this. I will definitely try and go as well. Somewhere I’ve always wanted to visit and coupling it with a Grand Prix would make for an amazing weekend.

The quick ‘esses’ type bends look like fun as does the left hand corner just after it. From what I remember that left-hander sweeps down hill as well.

5. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 17th May 2012, 22:33

maybe I’m bad at reading circuitmaps, but I am just as excited as when Valencia was introduced! Boy, let’s hope this really is a good track!

6. SteveA said on 18th May 2012, 0:01

This is the 1st place I’ve been to where most have been down on this track.

On all the other message boards, forums & chat rooms i’ve been to pretty much everyone has been raving about how great this track looks & how great the location is.

As to where it is, Most the F1 teams have been asking Bernie to get a race in or near New York for a long time, Eddie Jordan spoke about that on the BBC when this track was 1st announced last year.

7. midnite (@midnite) said on 18th May 2012, 3:26

Maybe im not reading it correctly, but it appears there are no grandstands across from the pits or start/finish line. Will be terrible atmosphere for the race winner to take the chequered flag in front of no one, and this track looks like the only time you will see the cars for more then a second is when they are in the pits. I hope the podium is somewhere sensible.

Looks like a great track for TV, but terrible for watching live trackside, you may see a car for .2 sec per lap if your lucky.

• Todd (@braketurnaccelerate) said on 18th May 2012, 9:19

If you can zoom in a little, you can read “Proposed Temp. Platform” on either side of the ferry docks. I assume they are probably going to tie some barges to the sea-wall and put up some grandstands.

8. colin grayson (@lebesset) said on 18th May 2012, 14:56

having vowed never again to enter te USA since the onset of paranoia , this might just tempt me !

9. Peter Habicht (@F1US on Twitter) is visiting the site today and posted this photo, which I thought was pretty cool:

10. Suzanne Ramshaw said on 23rd June 2012, 13:17

Does anyone know the provisional date of this race??