McLaren not well-suited to Monaco, says Button

2012 Monaco Grand Prix

Jenson Button, McLaren, Barcelona, 2012Jenson Button says the MP4-27 isn’t the ideal car for the tight, slow Monte-Carlo track.

“Our car isn?t especially suited to the tighter confines of a track like Monaco,” said Button. However, he added, “I?m optimistic of getting on top of the balance issues that have affected me for the past two races. It?s going to be a fantastic weekend.”

Button won the race for Brawn in 2009 and finished on the podium last year after a late charge was interrupted by the race being red-flagged.

He said: “I remember last year having a fantastic car beneath me and feeling really confident that I could challenge for the win.

“As it happened, circumstances beyond our control worked to pull that opportunity away from us, but I go back to Monte-Carlo with a little bit of unfinished business.”

Team mate Lewis Hamilton is looking to improve on eighth place in the last two races at the track where he won in 2008:

“It?s important not to lose sight of the fact that, despite pushing for the win, consistency and scoring decent points is currently the most sensible way to tackle this world championship.

“I?ve scored points at every race, and I?m only eight points off the lead of the championship. That?s a really encouraging statistic and it?s reassuring to see my approach is paying off.

“Nevertheless, I?m coming off the back of two relatively disappointing results and there would be no better place for the cards to fall in my favour than at Monaco.”

2012 Monaco Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Monaco Grand Prix articles

Image ?? McLaren/Hoch Zwei

61 comments on McLaren not well-suited to Monaco, says Button

1. Guccio (@concalvez00) said on 18th May 2012, 20:56

Button complains to much, he needs to shut up race, in Barcelona Button was annihalated by Hamilton, you can’t relay on Button, everything has to be perfect, I hope the team does not messes up Hamilton’s race in Monaco

2. mark (@markp) said on 18th May 2012, 21:21

Reverse psycology. Even he will not know until Thursday. Drivers do this all the time. Last race Hamilton said Button was odds on for pole.

Balance is the biggest single element for a driver as it’s what gives them confidence. Teams sometimes take downforce from one end of the car for balance. If this is an issue fare play to say it and pressure the team to give extra help. Alonso is clever with his public statements to get the team to focus as well. Hamilton is having a stormer though just like 2007. His issue wasn’t balance it was something to do with some kind of bubble. Maybe Button can achieve better balance if Mclaren have this bubble as part of their latest upgrades.

• William Brierty said on 21st May 2012, 10:50

Excellent point mate, Jenson does this quite a lot. If he quits whinging and at least has a peek at Hamilton’s Monaco notes, we could see a Lewis lead McLaren 1-2 on Sunday.

3. Calum (@calum) said on 18th May 2012, 21:31

As beautiful as the 2010 and 2011 McLimousines were, they just didn’t seem right for Monaco. The suspension was just too stiff (in order to make the aero work) and as a result they struggled with the bumps of the street surface. I was slightly surprised to see JB come away with ‘the MP4-27 won’t be suited to Monaco’ since the car has a lot of downforce, and it doesn’t seem to be as stiffly set up as previous years.

Hopefully he’s just trying to stop the media from hyping up their chances, and that they will really be ok!

• William Brierty said on 21st May 2012, 10:54

So you’re are saying that the MP4-26 that was fastest in Q1 and Q2, would have been on pole if not for crap McLaren stategy and would have won if there wasn’t a red flag last year, was not suited to Monaco?

4. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 18th May 2012, 22:14

I have mentioned earlier as well that Jenson Button cannot control a “drunk” car. He has a very small window of operation and just like Trulli he is very sensitive to changes in the car.

All said and done, I never find Alonso or Hamilton complaining about this stuff the way Button goes about it. Probably this is not the right place to bring it up but in 2011, the reason Button was comprehensively beating Hamilton was because Hamilton was suffering troubles which weren’t related to the car.

This season, if I be honest, even after winning the opening round, I haven’t considered Jenson to be a championship challenger. This season, Lewis is back to where he belongs and unfortunately Jenson will get beaten more often than not in this season IF and only IF Lewis maintains his approach (you never know with Lewis, do you?). Lewis is in a fantastic form, I haven’t seen him making a mistake this season whereas JB has and I really think that JB will find hard to match his team mate in most races.

• William Brierty said on 21st May 2012, 11:05

The only men standing between Lewis and the 2012 WDC is Adrian Newey and Pat Fry. If Adrian can find some more of the 2011 RBR speed then of course Vettel will be champion, and Alonso in a competitive car is nigh on unbeatable. Saying that, 2008 proves that Lewis is more than capable of being champion in the second fastest car. In fact apart from mid-2007 and Aus this year, I don’t think Lewis has ever had the fastest car.

5. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 18th May 2012, 22:17

I could genuinely see Lotus overtaking Mclaren in the constructors…I’m gambling on Sauber and Red Bull being strong in Monacco

6. mole (@mole) said on 18th May 2012, 23:14

I suspect its due to how stiff the front end of this car is, wont be able to ride the bumps as well as say the Ferrari, which looks pretty supple.

7. OOliver said on 18th May 2012, 23:30

@Neel Jani.
    Button only scored more points than Hamilton last year. He didn’t beat him.
    Hamilton’s issues last year had nothing to do with performance, but with accidents.
    Hamilton was probably a bit impatient sometimes, but that was usually because the team had got him running out of place, either by messing up his qualifying or not pitting him at the right time while he was ahead.
    Withmarsh was giving Button the best window to pit irrespective of if he was in 2nd or 12th position. As a result where Hamilton could have challenged for wins, he was falling back as he wasn’t allowed to use the undercut to challenge for wins.
    The same trend continued into this season, Button was being given the best pit stop window, even to the point of allowing Hamilton’s tyres to drop off in Aus.
    The fact they were on 2 different strategies in Spain was what allowed Hamilton to do his own race, possiby also the fact that Withmarsh and Crew had deliberately messed up a fine qualifying, and was guilt ridden.
    Withmarsh has gone from being a team boss to a deranged fan who promotes his idol irrespective of any consequence to the well being of his team.

8. marsht (@marsht) said on 19th May 2012, 3:09

More like Button not well suited to Monaco…

9. wezza (@wezza) said on 19th May 2012, 13:58

After reading so many comments about JB’s phenominal driving last year I was under the illusion that this 2012 Mclaren under the driver supervision of (JB) would see a significant gap between JB & LH- i feel LH has decided he will drive the car is own way, and keep is own council – MW comment about LH deserves to win Monaco -he should have won Barcelona … i feel there is brinkmanship being play between LH team & all of a sudden I love my other driver LH by MW.

I hope Mclaren doesn’t implode, I know we have a great team- car – drivers-engineers, ok the occasional wheel nut guy from Kwik Fit. Stick together.
    I am tired and bored of eating Ferria & RB – humble pie.

10. Windowlicker said on 19th May 2012, 15:45

Jb is always winging , Lewis just drives the wheels off the car weather car is set up well or not and doesn’t really complain . I can see Lewis’s luck change at Monaco with a win and then go on a run cuz Canada is after that and he’s typically very good there ! But it all depends on mclaren who I am losing respect for at the mo , to many mistakes to many excuses !!

11. William Brierty said on 21st May 2012, 10:46

I’m sorry Jenson, but every single person who really ought to know looked at Lewis’ Spanish lap and confirmed that the next two races are going to be rather dull – utter Hamilton domination is forecast between now and Valencia. Probable good form from Lewis has a habit of triggering a rather pesimistic attitude from Button – remember the later half of 2010? Lewis got everything from what was the third fastest car on track while Button moaned instead of simply getting on with it. I don’t think I am going to have the will to live after another whingy season from Button.