Ferrari may drop Massa in August break – Petrov

F1 Fanatic round-up

Vitaly Petrov, Caterham, Barcelona, 2012In the round-up: Vitaly Petrov thinks Ferrari will keep the under-performing Felipe Massa at least until the August break.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Petrov: Massa has 6 Races to Save Ferrari Seat (Ria Novosti)

“I don?t think they?ll fire Massa just now. At least not until August.”

The dawning of a new era (HRT)

“The day has come for HRT Formula 1 Team to officially open its doors to the new headquarters at the Caja Magica in Madrid.”

What really happened to McLaren in Spain (Autosport, subscription required)

Martin Whitmarsh: “The stewards took a decision. I didn’t anticipate the severity of that penalty ?ǣ I don’t think many people did, frankly. With hindsight you can revisit your decisions. I stand by what we did. We have to accept that there was less fuel in the car than we anticipated. We were fully open with the FIA.”

F1 and GP1 (Joe Saward)

“GP2, the previous championship which was promoted by Briatore and is now owned by the Formula One group is a major league rip-off. Teams cannot use parts unless they are supplied by he series, and these are supplied at a huge premium to normal prices.”

The Inside Line – on Toro Rosso?s Daniel Ricciardo (F1)

“There was one karting race when I was something like 14 years-old. I was in second place and I said to myself I will wait until the last lap and then I will then get him. On the corner I had planned to pass him, he defended and I didn?t expect that and he won the race. So what I took home from that day was that you shouldn?t wait forever to make your move.”

F1 diary: Spanish Grand Prix (The Telegraph)

“The air outside the Ferrari enclave is becoming increasingly foul and I bear left as leave, aiming towards the end of the paddock where the horizon looks clearest. I try not to inhale while walking, but the back of my throat feels odd for the next couple of hours. If that’s what it’s like for me, on the fringe, I hate to think how it must have been for those closer to the blaze.”

F1 Merchandising ?ǣ Have The Teams Got It Right? (Schuvettelainen)

“Before the start of the season I decided to look at what teams released and when so that I could write about it here. I?ve never previously taken a look across all the teams in this way, and what I found surprised me to the extent that I questioned whether or not the teams in one of the most commercial sports in the world have got it right.”

Comment of the day

As usual we had lots of great suggestions for the Caption Competition – particularly those from Blunt, Asanator and MatthewF1.

However I picked this from Don Navarro as the winner:

Frank Williams, Bernie Ecclestone, Barcelona, 2012

Bernie: Bring out the 70-candle birthday cake from the garage!

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Ned Flanders!

On this day in F1

Graham Hill scored his first F1 win 50 years ago today at the wheel of a BRM in the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort.

Jim Clark led early on for Lotus before hitting trouble with the new 25. Hill led home Clark’s team mate Trevor Taylor and Ferrari’s Phil Hill.

Here’s a short video from the race:

Image ?? Caterham/LAT

114 comments on Ferrari may drop Massa in August break – Petrov

1. DominikWilde (@dominikwilde) said on 20th May 2012, 9:43

Vitaly Petrov really doesn’t have the right to make a comment like that, way out of line imo

2. matt88 (@matt88) said on 20th May 2012, 10:22

Petrov who?

Ok, Massa is risking his place, but why Petrov has to comment on it. He has to thank his sponsors if he’s still able to keep a seat in F1, at least Massa drives for Ferrari and in 2008 in Brazil he crossed the finish line as world champion.

• Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 20th May 2012, 12:27

I can think of only one reason for commenting other driver’s situation in other team. Maybe Petrov is stupid enough to hope he gets Felipe’s seat? Because you know, he’s a paydriver, just like Alonso.

3. Kazuki (@formula-1) said on 20th May 2012, 10:27

I think and agree with Petrov that the best place to drop Massa would be the August break, thus giving the team sufficient time to prep a new driver, this way they can go into a race with a sense of security about the car, something which may not be present if you drop Massa and replace him with a few weeks between races.

4. Ilanin (@ilanin) said on 20th May 2012, 12:37

Zandvoort in 1962 wasn’t the first start for Coventry Climax (that would have been in 1957, with Cooper; the first start with Lotus was in 1958, as was Climax’s first win). It also wasn’t the first start for the specific engine used in the 1962 season, as Jack Brabham debuted the 1.5-litre Climax V8 at the German Grand Prix in 1961.

5. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 20th May 2012, 12:52

@Ned-Flanders

Old Neddy Flanders, the tall man from Toon,
    As F1Fs go, he’s the numero une.
    The ‘Top Tens’ he writes are always top class,
    But I know he’ll just think that I’m kissing his ****.

A humanitarian, he’s now in Peru,
    Where he just sits around having nothing to do.
    We all have respect for his charity work,
    And so we’ll forgive him for being a berk!

He knows his F1, he’s a true lifelong fan,
    And still tries to watch it whenever he can.
    Although he admits that his passion’s been waning,
    I choose not to listen when he starts complaining!

I once met this man in the Castle of New,
    Where we struggled to think of things we could do.
    We walked around Toon and discussed favourite marques,
    And then he took me to his favourite car park.

He loves his Magpies and has worked at St. James’,
    Where he told fans to sit and they called him rude names.
    He once skipped a match for an online Cup race,
    But failed to start, which seemed like quite a waste.

So Happy Birthday to my favourite Fanatic,
    I’ve got you a present, but it’s up in my attic.
    In much the same way as how all geese love ganders,
    F1Fanatics all love Neddy Flanders!

6. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 20th May 2012, 12:53

Happy birthday @Ned_flanders Enjoy your day Greg!

I strongly suggest everyone checks out the HRT link, there’s a video of the new facilities as well as some select words from the top brass. The facilities do look really impressive and the team do look ready to cement their identity, if not their results just yet. Kudos to these guys, they replaced the likes of Honda and Toyota without the backing of huge manufacturers. They’ve got incredible bravery to undertake such a huge scale development, especially given the state of the Euro at the moment. I wish them every success and think we should all get behind them, I know I am doing so.

• MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 20th May 2012, 15:30

@andrewtanner Yup, totally agree. There is something about HRT that wants me to back them to do well. They have faced a lot of criticism for a lot of things such as the pay driver thing last year. But then seeing as how they have to struggle to keep up with better funded teams who are not racing against the clock, I have to admire their resilience. I for one do not like the calls for them to be removed and so on. Their cars have shown remarkable reliability as well. I hope that now they can build on these three years of hardship and really progress in F1.

7. Lothario said on 20th May 2012, 18:52

I could write rules for GP1 easily. Like Seward said, getting Briatore to write a rulebook for a series is like handing over the keys to the bank to Bonnie and Clive.

Since in GP2, the max number of cars in a GP2 team is two, and GP3 there is the max number of three in a single team, would GP1 only have one car? If so, I would have the method being like it was in A1GP, one car and driver represents a country.

8. luis nuno (@luisnuno) said on 21st May 2012, 11:45

But who the hell is Mr. Petrov ? never heard …

9. Hamilton (@hamiltonjp) said on 21st May 2012, 23:49

That’s what we need… a prophet! C’mon…