Button first to 1,000 supporters on F1 Fanatic

2012 F1 season

Jenson Button, McLaren, Barcelona, 2012Since F1 Fanatic introduced the ability to pick your favourite drivers and teams, one driver has led the way.

Now Jenson Button has become the first to pass the milestone 1,000 fans on F1 Fanatic – just under one-eighth of the 8,100 active members on the site.

Lewis Hamilton is second ahead of Michael Schumacher, Kimi Raikkonen and Mark Webber. McLaren remain the most popular of the teams.

Button also has the most followers on Twitter out of the active Formula 1 drivers.

With that in mind, let’s take a fresh look at who’s hot and who’s not on the site – and, for the first time, whether those popularity trends are reflected on a much bigger social network.

Most popular drivers on F1 Fanatic

Romain Grosjean
Pastor Maldonado
Jean-Eric Vergne
Pedro de la Rosa
Narain Karthikeyan
Charles Pic

Notes on the most popular drivers:

• The McLaren drivers remain the most popular duo on the grid, though Button has one-third more supporters than Hamilton
  • Comeback champions Schumacher and Raikkonen have moved up to third and fourth – the latter gaining eight places since the start of the season
  • Alonso has also gained a place but Di Resta has dropped from third to seventh
  • The new winners of 2012 are yet to break into the top ten – Rosberg 12th and Maldonado 21st
Driver Supporters Rank Change
Pastor Maldonado 51 21 =
Jean-Eric Vergne 49 22 =
Pedro de la Rosa 35 24 -4
Narain Karthikeyan 35 24 -1
Charles Pic 17 26 -1

Most popular drivers: F1 Fanatic vs Twitter

Driver Jenson Button Lewis Hamilton Michael Schumacher Kimi Raikkonen Mark Webber Fernando Alonso Paul di Resta Kamui Kobayashi Sebastian Vettel Robert Kubica Heikki Kovalainen Nico Rosberg Bruno Senna Sergio Perez Felipe Massa Daniel Ricciardo Nico Hulkenberg Vitaly Petrov Timo Glock Romain Grosjean Pastor Maldonado Jean-Eric Vergne Pedro de la Rosa Narain Karthikeyan Charles Pic
F1 Fanatic supporters 1006 750 530 524 493 471 449 441 392 366 312 301 280 220 174 171 133 101 97 94 51 49 35 35 17
Twitter followers (000s) 941.504 808.251 331.861 529.862 117.294 51.409 145.445 153.639 407.143 190.605 87.162 26.26 66.76 70.967 68.491 40.728 190.498 19.344 129.095 102.31 11.479

Notes on F1 driver popularity on F1 Fanatic and Twitter:

• The popularity of F1 drivers on Twitter compared to F1 Fanatic has much in common. The most striking difference is that the midfield drivers generally have proportionally less support, with some significant exceptions (Senna, Maldonado).
  • Button and Hamilton are the most followed F1 drivers Twitter – at least now that Barrichello, with 1.6 million supporters, has gone to IndyCar.
  • Not all F1 drivers are on Twitter so there’s no data for Schumacher, Raikkonen, Vettel and Kubica.
  • How long a driver has been using Twitter for and what languages they Tweet in will have an effect on their follower count. Alonso has picked up over half a million followers since joining Twitter in March.
  • For a list of official F1 drivers and teams Twitter accounts see the F1 Twitter directory

Most popular teams on F1 Fanatic

Caterham
216
Toro Rosso
102
HRT
Marussia

Notes on the most popular teams:

• McLaren remain the most popular team
  • Success alone doesn’t seem to breed popularity: Red Bull are fifth following their back-to-back championships in the last two years

Show your support

Want to make sure your driver and team preferences are reflected in these charts? Here’s how to do it:

1. Log in with your F1 Fanatic account. If you’ve not got one, sign up for one here.
2. Go to My Account > Profile > Edit and select F1 teams and drivers.
3. Make your choices and click Save Changes.

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® McLaren/Hoch Zwei

70 comments on Button first to 1,000 supporters on F1 Fanatic

1. matthewf1 (@) said on 21st May 2012, 16:37

hmmmm…..1006 supporters obviously like the sound of excuses at every race :-S

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 21st May 2012, 16:42

@matthewf1 Maybe they understand that if a driver doesn’t explain to his engineers what’s wrong with his car they won’t be able to do anything about it.

• zicasso (@zicasso) said on 21st May 2012, 20:01

With all due respect… For me Jenson only seems to complain, even with Brawn it was just annoying complaint after complaint, and only does well when other drivers are not at their best due to poor weather conditions or because they have car problems, in my opinion.
      He is a world champion only because of the double diffuser advantage Brawn managed to build at the beginning of that season, then he was just a regular driver with no pulp or circumstance struggling to score points.
      To be fair the best all round driver is Alonso, then Hamilton – for the excitement and passion he brings to the sport.

• Mike (@mike) said on 22nd May 2012, 2:30

Complaint = Feedback to engineers perhaps?

• Mike (@mike) said on 22nd May 2012, 2:31

I find Hamilton boring -.- It’s one disaster after another…

• suka (@suka) said on 22nd May 2012, 10:19

The best all round driver is perhaps not what one would always want to support…

• Zodman said on 22nd May 2012, 13:11

So why didn’t Barrichello win the championship that year???

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 23rd May 2012, 18:57

To be honest, we hear Button only complaining about ‘lack of grip’, ‘oversteer’ or an ‘undrivable car’, while Hamilton only tells us his ‘tyres are going off’ or asking ‘what are you guys doing’. At the same time Alonso is heard whining about just about everything that encounters him on track, and we hear Massa being talked through every bump, corner and straight and Vettel is giving us his annoying victory cries.
        All off this is just because these are the things our broadcaster is airing for us, not because these are the only things said (there’s another 19 drivers on track), but because they think it interests us to hear what is going on. They might be wrong, but that is hardly the drivers fault.

2. Button, Hamilton & McLaren are the best!) Statistics confirm this!))))

3. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 21st May 2012, 17:21

You can clearly tell this is a British site!

4. Nixon (@nixon) said on 21st May 2012, 17:38

De la rosa and Karthikeyan tied, shocker.

5. Rahim.RG (@rahim-rg) said on 21st May 2012, 18:10

well India is Populated… hehe :)

6. spacák (@spacak) said on 21st May 2012, 18:22

366 supporters of Robert Kubica reminds me, has anyone (of polish readers here) any piece of information about him? Any interview with him in local media? Official streams keep silent, his return is apparently out of question, (otherwise, he would sure spread it), nevertheless I appreciate any of how is he.

7. Lothario said on 21st May 2012, 18:39

Hardly surprising :) I think I speak on be-half of most F1 Fanatics when I say, he is such a likeable guy!

• James (@goodyear92) said on 21st May 2012, 19:15

I don’t think he’s anymore likeable (off the track) than half of the drivers on the grid. I don’t find JB’s constant moaning about the car’s “problems” when he isn’t on the pace particularly appealing, and he’s done that all through his career. It’s not the he isn’t likeable at all, I just don’t understand why anyone thinks he is more than most of the other drivers. I personally feel Kamui is probably the easiest to like, and his surprise style driving is thrilling to watch.

8. Todfod (@todfod) said on 21st May 2012, 19:22

Jenson’s definitely not going to win another WDC… but at least he wins popularity contests!

9. pking008 (@pking008) said on 21st May 2012, 22:09

I’m British, I live outside the UK at the moment and I only visit English F1 sites. Most Brits living outside the UK also probably visit this site just like me but we all count as foreign foreigners because we have foreign IPs. In addition to a third of all visitors directly from the UK, a good chunk of other country visitors are also Brits. So my good guess is the people voting for Button a pretty much Brits otherwise it would be hard for Button to win this contest ahead of other more likeable drivers. So definitively there is a British bias to the result.

• Mike (@mike) said on 22nd May 2012, 2:41

And here I thought that it was generally accepted that Button was one of the most likeable driver in the field…

• pking008 (@pking008) said on 22nd May 2012, 21:54

you thought wrong. a bland personality does not likeability make. im also glad you use the word “one of”. Yes there are other drivers in my opinion far more likeable than Button. Look let me tell you something. in the early/mid 90s a German tv station i think RTL ran a competition of the most attractive driver. I’m sure you’ve been watching F1 long enough to remember the mid 90s. these include the likes of Schumacher senior and junior, Villenueve, Hill, Coultard, Hakkinnen, Irvine Barichello, Damon Hill etc. I voted that Damon Hill was the most attractive. You may ask why. well, I am British and I voted only based on national sentiments especially since I didnt like Schumacher at all. Did I really think Hill was the most attractive? Hell No. But you know something else? Michael Schumacher won that contest if I’m not mistaken. Was Michael the most attractive racer on the field in the early to mid 1990s? I dont think so but he won anyways. Why? because this competition was ran in Germany. I’m sure you get my drift of where i’m going with this re JB current poll position.

10. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 21st May 2012, 22:48

It would be great if Kubica sorted himself out with Twitter. We don’t hear much from him at all and it would be nice to do so. I appreciate that he probably doesn’t want to remind himself that he’s ‘missing out’ on all things F1 but he did and still does have a great legion of supporters.

11. Mike (@mike) said on 22nd May 2012, 2:43

What I find interesting… And this is far more interesting that who comes from where…

Is that you can see a significant trend for success leading to popularity.

I think that is a significant stat for the F1 world to consider.

12. BILL. said on 22nd May 2012, 2:48

REALLY ?

Go, HAMILTON !

13. OOliver said on 22nd May 2012, 6:42

I guess he can be the next prime minister and moan endlessly about the budget.

14. Poul said on 22nd May 2012, 9:50

Regardless of how non-British the site is, I very much doubt that Jenson would lead any popularity contest unless the poll had a British dominance. Personally I am Danish but a (very) long term McLaren supporter. My completely unbiased perception of Jenson is that he is a bit boring, a bit of a whiner, not a very strong personality and not much of a “racer” in the old school sense of the word. He is pretty fast when his equipment is working optimally and there’s not too much traffic but I never found him much of a fighter at all.

I strongly dislike someone like Fernando’s ego-diva attitude, yet I have to admit that he is a very complete racer with a fantastic balance between aggressor and virtuoso on top of the unstoppable desire to just win. Over the past couple of seasons I have found Lewis to have quite a lot of the same attitude (good and bad) but unfortunately with much less balance. I am sure there is room for improvement as he matures and to watch Lewis is to me about a factor 100 more exiting than watching Jenson.

As far as the perfect package in terms of racing skills and likability no one beats Kimi in my opinion. So down to earth, never ever any bitching about the team or the competitors and yet just blistering fast – sometimes even far beyond the “perceived to be” best. You have to admit that his popularity is “the real deal” considering that his native country has a population of just 4 million citizens.

Let me “finish” off with a couple of famous quotes:
    Q: Lewis Hamilton said that winning his first race felt better than having sex. How about you?
    KR: Maybe he never had sex!

Q: Kimi, have you ever got angry about anything, and jumped up and down and shouted?
    KR: Yeah, many times and of course you’re not happy if you retire or something but I guess it happens more in normal life than in racing.
    Q: Can you give us examples?
    KR: No, not really.
    Q: What are the kind of things that make you angry in normal life, as you say?
    KR: If you keep asking questions like those.

15. Schumi the Greatest (@schumi-the-greatest) said on 22nd May 2012, 11:09

There’s no doubt that Button being top of that pile is down to a large proportion of this sites members being A) British or) a Brit living outside the UK (Points A and B seem exactly the same there on reflection…oh well)

Typically What I’ve noticed growing up in the UK is that the underdogs are favoured. Although Jenson received a bit of criticism when he was dubbed a “Playboy” in the UK media in the early 2000s he has always been well liked by the media.

Hamilton on the other hand is a bit more arrogant and sure of himself and that doesn’t tend to sit well with British people. But I dont think many people would say out of the 2 that Button is the more naturally talented, he’s been driving well the last 2 years while Hamilton has been in a slump. I’ve always found Jenson to be a bit of a whiner….I noticed it more during 2009 when the brawn was starting to struggle he would constantly be on the radio complaining how bad the car was. As Keith rightly pointed out, a driver needs to give his engineers feedback, but its just the tone and the way he says it….completely different to say Alonso (or hamilton early 09) who told them they had no balance, then drove the wheels off it taking it higher than it was capable of.

• Sem (@05abrahamsemere) said on 22nd May 2012, 12:41

+1. JB may be nice, but usually nice drivers aren’t special material. Button isn’t aggressive enough (excpet for in Australia, but Hamilton wasn’t comfortable and would usually be much more aggressive) to be considered in the same light as Hamilton and Alonso. He just seems to drive as if it was a summer holiday. This is why, in one of the most competitve seasons, Button won’t be champ. Lewis is my title hope this year if he continues his new approach (sorry JB)

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 22nd August 2012, 13:15

I find it puzzling that the British would support Button over Hamilton. One driver is nothing more than a circumstancial champion and the other has the potential to be one of the sports greatest.