Raikkonen wears James Hunt-style helmet in Monaco

2012 Monaco Grand Prix

Kimi Raikkonen's James Hunt helmet, Monaco, 2012Jean-Eric Vergne is not the only driver using a helmet style borrowed from one of his F1 predecessors this weekend.

Kimi Raikkonen used the helmet design of one of his fellow world championship winners during practice in Monaco today.

The Lotus driver wore the black helmet design used by James Hunt, world champion in 1976.

It’s not the first time Raikkonen has acknowledged the legacy of Hunt, who died in 1993. Shortly before his debut for Ferrari in 2007 Raikkonen entered a snowmobile race using ‘James Hunt’ as a pseudonym.

Meanwhile Raikkonen has been refused permission to compete in the Rally of Finland by Lotus team principal Eric Boullier.

Presumably someone at Enstone will now be tasked with keeping as eye on the rally’s entry list for the appearance of another ‘James Hunt’…

2012 Monaco Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Monaco Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Lotus F1 Team/LAT

34 comments on Raikkonen wears James Hunt-style helmet in Monaco

1. French Steve (@french-steve) said on 24th May 2012, 17:16

Nice !

2. Mads (@mads) said on 24th May 2012, 17:16

That helmet looks properly good!

3. AJ (@aj13) said on 24th May 2012, 17:19

Think its the “live fast die young” legacy he’s acknowledging – the chicks…the champagne…the adult parties…

4. brt113 (@brt113) said on 24th May 2012, 17:24

to shiney for me i like the more matt black not gloss…

5. Kobayashi24 (@kobayashi24) said on 24th May 2012, 17:27

I think Kimi will understand Lotus’ decision.

• Snafu (@snafu) said on 24th May 2012, 21:28

I’d pay to know what went through Boullier’s mind when Kimi asked him about the rally! considering the fact that kimi is a replacement for a driver they lost in another motorsport event!

6. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 24th May 2012, 17:31

Epìc tribute!

And no wonder they didn’t allow him to compete in WRC. Firstly because of what happened to Kubica and secondly, to what happened to Kimi during his time blasting crashing around in the slippery roads of the World Rally Championship.

7. Spawinte (@spawinte) said on 24th May 2012, 17:52

I think he’ll probably enter the rally anyway. He doesn’t seem like the type that will take kindly to being told what he can’t do.

• Jayfreese (@) said on 24th May 2012, 18:55

I think, a WRC car is a bit more safe than Kubica’s S2000 Skoda Fabia, isn’t it… Plus Raikkonen has already entered quite enough WRC rounds not to put him in serious danger I believe, so hopefully Lotus will switch opinion as Raikkonen can enter the Rally of Finland during the F1 summer break.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 24th May 2012, 20:37

@jayfreese The difference between a WRC car and a S2000 car isn’t that big, really, at least in terms of safety.

Considering the risks of rally racing, and Kimi’s record to put it in a ditch everytime he got into one of the cars, it’s quite an obvious decision by Lotus, sadly.

I rather see drivers trying different series during the year, but… you know.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 25th May 2012, 8:26

No, there’s not a big difference in terms of safety. Plus, Kimi was crashing all the time in rally.

8. adri005 (@adri005) said on 24th May 2012, 17:55

Kimi has always had very nice helmets

9. Eggry (@eggry) said on 24th May 2012, 18:11

He likes Hunt very much!

10. cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 24th May 2012, 18:38

I love that he’s paying tribute to such a great world champion, it’s just a bit of a shame that James Hunt had (in my view) a pretty boring helmet design.

I guess in the mid 70’s helmet designs weren’t very developed? More of 80s thing

• DK (@seijakessen) said on 25th May 2012, 0:40

@cduk_mugello

I actually feel Hunt had a fabulous helmet design.

It was simple, but it was very distinctive compared to all the other helmets in the 1970s IMO.

You started seeing more thought put into helmet designs in the 80s. I always like the design Elio de Angelis had as well as Mansell. Plenty of great designs in the 1990s too…I feel the past decade or so, the helmets have become actually overloaded with too much stuff to the point they don’t stand out any longer.

I’ve always felt the best helmets have one thing in common; they are simple in design.

11. OEL F1 (@oel-f1) said on 24th May 2012, 19:06

My thought exacly! :D

12. The Dutch Bear (@the-dutch-bear) said on 24th May 2012, 19:22

Great!

13. mphipps (@mphipps) said on 24th May 2012, 20:07

Really hope that someone makes a replica of that helmet – I would buy one !

14. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 24th May 2012, 22:10

It looks good, I like it!

Sounds about right from Lotus regarding the rally decision, I don’t think Kimi will complain too much, he was probably half expecting it.

15. xeroxpt (@) said on 24th May 2012, 23:07

James Hunt was a pretty cool guy aswell, kind of a George Best or 007 character.