Rate the race: 2012 Monaco Grand Prix

Debates and Polls

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, Monaco, 2012What did you think of the Monaco Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Monaco Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (4%)
  • 2 (4%)
  • 3 (9%)
  • 4 (14%)
  • 5 (16%)
  • 6 (23%)
  • 7 (18%)
  • 8 (8%)
  • 9 (2%)
  • 10 (2%)

Total Voters: 773

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

Image ?é?® Daimler/Hoch Zwei

282 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Monaco Grand Prix

1. safeeuropeanhome (@debaser91) said on 27th May 2012, 15:01

5 is being generous. There is never any overtaking at Monaco, I can accept that but at least in years gone by you could see the drivers were pushing hard and it was really a challenge to drive, but the new tyres really didn’t work out today. Also a good point was raised in commentary on Sky, Vettel got a big advantage by not running in Q3, a rule change is required here in getting rid of the stupid start on the tyres you qualify on rule.

• PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 27th May 2012, 15:07

Absolutely, get rid of that rule, completely agree. It just doesn’t work on these tyres any more. They need to get rid of the rule that means both types of tyre have to be used, because that doesn’t work on these tyres too, and it would shake things up even more.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 27th May 2012, 15:52

Vettel did run in Q3. He didn’t set a lap time.

2. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 27th May 2012, 15:01

4. Very “old school” (aka boring), just 1 pit stop, a processional race. All very usual here in Monaco, but compared to the other races, I has to have a very very low mark.

My man won, though, so I’m extremely happy and it was quite tense in the end. But it was still quite a rubbish race in terms of spectacle. Not like 2011 at all!

3. BBT (@bbt) said on 27th May 2012, 15:01

3. Boring and I hate the drivers looking behind them rather than how to get in front. Another how slow can I go and get good points race.

4. Slr (@slr) said on 27th May 2012, 15:03

6/10 – And that maybe generous. Everytime something was about to happen, it didn’t. :(

5. Ciaran (@ciaran) said on 27th May 2012, 15:03

I gave it 7/10. It’s unfair to judge Monaco the same way as other circuits – you simply cannot expect overtaking on this kind of circuit. Some F1 fans are just spoilt.
    Anyways, good ending to the race, having 6 cars separated by 3.6 seconds is just something else. Great drives from Webber, Rosberg, Alonso, and even Massa!

6. Luka_MP4 (@mr-mp4) said on 27th May 2012, 15:04

3 (actually 2, but Kovalainen earned +1)

7. DK (@seijakessen) said on 27th May 2012, 15:04

Amazing…I can’t believe people whine about the lack of overtaking.

Monaco HAS NEVER been an overtaking track in any era.

The artificial overtaking methods have blinded people tremendously to that. Not sure why anyone thought somehow there was going to be loads of overtaking in any manner.

• Ciaran (@ciaran) said on 27th May 2012, 15:11

Couldn’t agree with you more

• SouthAussie94 (@mpj1994) said on 27th May 2012, 15:20

Overtaking or no overtaking, I could watch cars drive around Monaco all day!

• DK (@seijakessen) said on 27th May 2012, 15:50

Same here…I could watch the cars going through the swimming pool the entire time…it is unreal to watch how quickly they change direction, and seeing them flying over the curb is insane. No other race series on the planet has cars that do what they do at those speeds in that section.

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 27th May 2012, 15:32

@seijakessen

+1000. I was feeling very happy after the race (even though my favourite drivers had terrible a weekend), but reading all this negativity really brought my mood down. Some people must be either very new to the sport or spoiled by the first races of the season. And I even read someone saying that the track was dull and is only on the calendar because of money. Wait, what?! I just can’t believe people moan on and on about the new dull and featureless tracks in countries with no tradition whatsoever, but moan to when it comes to one of the most historic races on the Earth, on par with the Indianapolis 500 and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

We F1 fans are always arguing with people who do not watch the races about how much it is a sport and not simple entertainment. When we finally get to the race that is the essence of what F1 is – driving on the limit with both precision and consistency – the race that screams how much of a sport F1 is, people complain about the lack of something as subjective as entertainment.

• DK (@seijakessen) said on 27th May 2012, 15:57

@guilherme

Agreed. I am amazed by how many people are complaining about this race. How many times have we seen a race leader open up a huge gap of 50 seconds or more at Monaco? This was an incredibly tight race from start to finish, minus the part when Vettel was leading before he had to pit. It’s a mentally draining track because of how technical the circuit is. It’s the last track of its kind on the calendar and is a complete throwback to an era when all tracks featured risk/reward instead of massive tarmac runoffs. I would take 10 races at Monaco if it meant we did not have to sit through another Tilkedrome track.

Monaco also is the only race that doesn’t pay anything to host.

I 100% agree with your second paragraph. Monaco favors driver ability more than any other track…the race could have gone any way possible given how close the top 4 were…I was actually wondering if we were in line for a shunt by Webber which would have thrown the top 10 into complete disarray due to how bunched up everyone was. It’s the one race I look forward to every year. I have no complaints about the race at all.

• Giuseppe (@giuseppe) said on 27th May 2012, 16:37

You have to be really naive to think that the reason this circuit, which has been unfit for F1 cars for a long time and which has long been treated with a different standard (look for the 84-85 Balestre-Boeri scandal, it’s not a new phenomenon), is in the championship because of tradition or historical considerations. Nope. It has everything to do with money, influence, politics.

The fact that Tilkedromes unfortunately dominate the season has got nothing do with it. When I started watching F1, there still was an Austrian or a Portuguese Grand Prix. There was still Imola or Kyalami. So don’t for a second assume that I just came watching F1 these last few years. And yet the fact I grew up almost deifying Ayrton Senna who won 6 races at Monaco, doesn’t change my view of this circuit. I don’t wear rose-tinted glasses, sorry.

Maybe, just maybe if this was still the same Formula 1 that I grew up with, I might agree there’s still a place for Monaco in F1. Though I doubt it.

• DK (@seijakessen) said on 27th May 2012, 19:04

@giuseppe

Money, influence, and politics pretty much sums up why any circuit gets a F1 race.

It’s still a fantastic circuit in my eyes regardless of the reasons it is on the calendar.

• Guilherme (@guilherme) said on 27th May 2012, 20:59

@giuseppe Pardon me, but I never said Monaco was there just because of its history. It was you who said it was only there because rich people in Monaco wanted a race by their windows. And anyway, neither did I imply it was you who began watch F1 recently when I said that some people must be very new to F1.

DK already said up there, every race on the calendar is there because of money, influence and politics, particularly the races on the Middle East. While Monaco indeed does have all that, it is on that very race that more deals are done than in every other in the entire season. Teams want to be there. People want to be there. The race has been going on for almost every (peaceful) year since 1929 (and thus it is on par with Spa Francorchamps and Monza in terms of history) and safety around there has never been called into serious question in recent years, so why drop it? Because there is no overtaking? That’s simply not reason enough.

I don’t see how this race was any more boring than the ones in the first half of the last decade.

• Giuseppe (@giuseppe) said on 28th May 2012, 22:31

I wasn’t only replying to you, I was also replying to DK and pretty much everyone else that likes this race :)

Money, influence, and politics may get any circuit in the calendar, but the Monaco GP is THE sugar daddy. It’s the only one that gets preferential treatment. So the least suited circuit for F1 racing gets the best deal. I’d call that strange, to say the least.

If you were to take this circuit and place it in any other city in the world and then you’d suggest holding an F1 race there, half the people would laugh their asses off and the other half would think you’re bonkers.

What kind of racing circuit is this anyway? If with all the rules meant to encourage (even force) overtaking, you can still hardly pull an overtake and even that under special circumstances (like the guy in front of you is MUCH slower), then you clearly have a problem.

If overtaking isn’t important at Monaco and precision and consistency are key, perhaps they should change the format of this particular GP. Make it a Formula 1 rally GP :)) then you really won’t need to see overtaking and you can still have (1) precision driving, (2) consistency and (3) F1 cars passing through narrow monegasque streets. No… I’m joking of course. Or maybe not. :P

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 27th May 2012, 15:34

True, not much overtaking at Monaco but previously they used to at least try to pressure the guy in front into a mistake.

• DK (@seijakessen) said on 27th May 2012, 15:52

@hohum Rosberg did his best to pressure Webber…my hat is off to Mark for handling the pressure for all the laps that he did. Some guys easily would have shunted with someone breathing down their rear wing. Webber was absolutely exhausted at the end of the race and for good reason.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 27th May 2012, 15:53

Finally, someone with common sense.

• Benjamin (@riotard) said on 27th May 2012, 15:59

I think it’s more people whinning about the lack of pressure from drivings on other drivers. Never seen a race with drivers so close to each other, but lack of intent to overtake. How many on track overtakes actually occurred? 3 or 4? There can be zero overtakes as long as there is good clean racing, cars dancing behind others, whilst the ones in front full off brilliant blocks is way more exciting then a 5/6 car train with no one even thinking about overtaking.

You know it’s a poor race when talk of non-existant rain is the most exciting thing. F1 needs to move on, the cars are just too wide for this sort of track now!

• DK (@seijakessen) said on 27th May 2012, 19:00

@riotard

The cars are too wide?

Current regulations say car width shall not exceed 180cm.

In 1991, cars were 213cm.

They are narrower than at any point in the last 20-22 seasons.

• BBT (@bbt) said on 27th May 2012, 16:09

I don’t care about overtaking, that is not what makes a race, and lack of overtaking is NOT what made this dull…. lapping 5+ seconds off the pace did.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 28th May 2012, 16:11

I was on the edge of my seat out of concern that if rain of any significance fell it would scupper NR’s chances of fighting for the win or at least keeping the pressure on MW and trying to force him into a mistake while at the same time ensuring he himself didn’t make a mistake.

Hats off to both of them for being in a class by themselves (along with FA) and making for some great points to add to the excitement of the WDC chase.

8. runforitscooby (@runforitscooby) said on 27th May 2012, 15:04

As a webber fan 10 , but realistically as a watcher a 5, no overtaking and when Button tried-race over. Toro Rosso?! Hey lets give away some points coz we don’t need them, just strange decision and Hamilton once again screwed over by his own team.

9. sumedh said on 27th May 2012, 15:06

Not a good race. Had the rain arrived, could have been an 8. But it didn’t

10. vishy (@vishy) said on 27th May 2012, 15:07

Never once did i get a feeling that anyone was going to try and overtake. A close finish though and i was about to turn off the TV at about 58 laps when i heard rain! A little dissapointed it did not rain harder.

A track for sprinklers perhaps?

11. Danksa (@danieljaksa) said on 27th May 2012, 15:10

8 – Historic race! 1st multiple winning Aussie @ Monaco. 6th different winner in the first 6 races for the season. Maybe it’s Kimi’s turn in Canada.

12. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 27th May 2012, 15:12

gutted for Michael and Kimi….

otherwise pretty boring … was expecting some drama towards the end and with top 6 cars within 7 sec window + rain. Gave a 3

13. Stefanauss (@stefanauss) said on 27th May 2012, 15:13

I guess they would consider DRS in the tunnel for 2013.

Gave it 6. It would have been 4 if the closing laps weren’t so tight.

14. Giuseppe (@giuseppe) said on 27th May 2012, 15:13

3/10 – another Monaco Grand Prix procession (c). A dull, boring circuit that’s only around because of a bunch of fat cats that want to see F1 cars pass in front of their windows.

15. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 27th May 2012, 15:13

6, very very average race.