Hamilton unhappy with poor Monaco showing

F1 Fanatic round-up

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, Monaco, 2012In the round-up: Lewis Hamilton was unhappy with his start, strategy and pace – as well as being hit by numbers falling from his pit board.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Lewis Hamilton furious with McLaren over slow start at Monaco (The Guardian)

“I wasn’t really informed. I didn’t have the information to say Sebastian was going to get me. I could easily have pushed. Those are communication things which you work on. I just have to ask them next time to give me more info.”

No protest against Webber’s win (Autosport)

“It is understood that Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes are unhappy that holes in the floor in front of the rear wheels of the RB8 do not comply with the regulations.”

FIA?s Technical Working Group to discuss RBR controversy on Monday (Adam Cooper)

“The hole caught the attention of rival teams during the Monaco weekend, and McLaren wrote to Red Bull at 1.32pm on Saturday, just prior to qualifying, expressing its opinion and giving the team a chance to change the car ?ǣ something that clearly was not going to happen at such a late stage.”

Analysis – Red Bull floor cut-outs (F1)

“Talk focussed on whether the cut-out on the Red Bull constitutes an enclosed ‘hole’, hence meaning the floor is not ‘impervious’, as opposed to the cut-outs in similar places on the Sauber (red arrow in right-hand drawing) and Ferrari, for example, which are open at the floor’s edge.”

Schumacher fastest but not on pole (The Independent)

“Insiders are adamant that [Sebastian Vettel] has signed an option with Ferrari for 2014, subject to competitive form from the Prancing Horse stable for the rest of 2012.”

Mark Webber believes race wins are key to claiming F1 title (BBC)

“You need to win. We need to be scoring all the time and then when days like this come along, you cannot let them go – at all. You have to grab them with both hands.”

Monaco GP – Conference 4 (FIA)

Mark Webber: “I think, in general, qualifying has gone very well for me this year. Seb got me once in Bahrain, the rest have gone for well for me. Set-up-wise, we?ve always been pretty close, we always work very well as a team, to get the most out of both cars. He made some changes before qualifying, which ?ǣ it looks in hindsight he wasn?t particularly happy with.”

Whiting: I’ll have a glass of wine and a packet of crisps when Monaco is over (Daily Mail)

“There is always the danger of complacency, and I am always reminding people the next accident is around the corner. There’s always that possibility. You can’t consider it is not going to happen because, inevitably, it will. We have to keep vigilant.”

Crane delays Porsche race (Joe Saward)

“The Automobile Club de Monaco found a solution, but the start of the Porsche Supercup race was delayed by 15 minutes while the blockage was removed.”

Comment of the day

CeeVee on yesterday’s two big races:

Thank goodness the Indy 500 was on later and showed what motor racing should be. More changes for the lead in one race than we get in a whole season of F1 and, shock/horror, they took place on the track. Yes, tactics played a part but they didn?t dominate the way they do in F1 and they have tyres that allow the drivers to race.

F1 has been degenerating ever since it stopped being a single seat formula and became races with a driver in the car and a dozen or so co-drivers in the pits, monitoring systems and feeding driving instruction out to the car. The contrast between Monaco and the Indy 500 showed why F1 will never really succeed in the USA, it?s just not interesting enough.
CeeVee

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today.

On this day in F1

Andrea Moda were surely one of the most hopeless entries ever seen in Formula 1. They only started a single race – the 1992 Monaco Grand Prix.

That was thanks to Roberto Moreno, who dragged the S921 through pre-qualifying on this day 20 years ago, before going on to qualify.

Here’s some rare video of the team at the only race they ever qualified for:

Image ?? McLaren/Hoch Zwei

135 comments on Hamilton unhappy with poor Monaco showing

1. Phil Carr (@atseridluap) said on 28th May 2012, 6:30

Congrats to Takuma Sato for making the Indy 500 a thrilling race. Better to go out like you did than sit behind Franchitti for an easy second – respect!

2. BasCB (@bascb) said on 28th May 2012, 7:42

Another comparison from Monaco vs Indy500, this time about Hamilton being “furious” – if the writer wants to hear how a really furious driver sounds, let him listen to Marco Andretti during the Indy! And that was even less about the team doing something wrong than with Hamilton, I guess

3. montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 28th May 2012, 8:03

Nonsense comment of the day. All the usual boring blah blah about overtaking on an oval. I’ll take 1 Kobayashi overtake on Button in Spain over 100 oval overtakes any day(or even more). I’ll also take the tension of a close racing at Monaco, with a threat of rain or a safety car over Indy any day. Literally fell asleep during the Indy 500, and woke up before the end, because the start and the end of an oval race are pretty much the only time it’s interesting. Unless there are huge crashes, that is… F1 will never catch in the US you say because it’s boring? Your loss then, mate and also this is probably coming from someone who thinks baseball is an exciting sport, right?

4. Kenneth Ntulume said on 28th May 2012, 10:15

NOW SMILE
    “Lewis Hamilton has been offered a staggering £95million to stay at McLaren for the next five years. Hamilton is already the highest paid driver in F1 and could now earn an eye-watering £460,000 a week”
    source:

5. pH (@ph) said on 28th May 2012, 10:43

I do not care to comment on the Indy vs. F1 part of the COTD, but one thing struck a chord. I did think many times in the past few seasons that I would really prefer a blanket ban on radio transmissions (including tech data) between drivers and their teams. Teams could still pass info to the drivers with boards, but the driver would have to make his own judgement about the best strategy, feel how the tires go etc. (I assume onboard computer would help a bit, like showing the driver how long he can drive at the current pace, warning about temps getting our of the recommended range and such). I always admired drivers who achieved their victories by also being smart.

6. maxthecat said on 28th May 2012, 11:14

COTD is a bit daft, there were only so many lead changes at Indy because team-mates were helping each other save fuel. I watched it and it was as boring as the Monaco GP was. Basically 195 laps of fuel saving and 5 Laps of racing.

7. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 28th May 2012, 12:39

Bahar was reportedly suspended over an investigation into his expenses.

If true, I know a certain Member for Dobell who could give him some tips on how to (try and) avoid trouble for it.

8. Lewis has an annoying habit of blaming the team whenever things go wrong (which is a dangerous this to do seeing as it’s the team that’s the most important part of the season not the driver) and every time JB comes on the radio now it’s just to have a moan- at this rate Mclaren will easily be the grumpiest team on the grid (at least until the Horse Whisperer makes a comeback)!

• sid90 (@sid90) said on 28th May 2012, 13:56

@steph Lewis didn’t moan after Spain, nor do I remember him moan after Bahrain either…

• James (@goodyear92) said on 28th May 2012, 14:23

Well it’s their fault… so? What would you like him to do? He doesn’t randomly blame them when he has an incident, he just blames them when they’ve done something wrong and this is the first time this year that he has been visually annoyed with them. Every other race he’s just smiled through it all, giving them the benefit of the doubt.

• “Lewis has an annoying habit of blaming the team whenever things go wrong”

Hm, because it IS the team thats messing up his races?

9. thatscienceguy said on 28th May 2012, 17:23

I’m going to say something controversial – i don’t think the tyres degraded enough this weekend. If this had been a two pitstop race we would have seen some electrifying racing and some real diversity in strategy.
    As it was, the tyres could last long enough for it to be a one stopper. But imagine if they had degraded slightly more – more pushing by the drivers as they didn’t need to make the tyres last quite so long, and teams trying different tyre and stop strategies.
    Part of the reason the race was dull was because the tyres were just a little too sturdy that the drivers were able to make it on one stop.

10. OOliver said on 28th May 2012, 17:34

@pH.
    A driver achieves a victory by being smart? Tell me one driver in recent memory who was able to win a race without info from the pits? Even choosing to change tyres at the right time requires info from the pits comparing your pace to other drivers. The 50s are long gone.

• pH (@ph) said on 28th May 2012, 21:03

Well you do not have to go back that far, even in the 80’s, perhaps early 90’s drivers still had to do much of the thinking for themselves. I wonder what the pecking order would be now if drivers had to rely more on themselves.

11. Cole (@cole) said on 28th May 2012, 22:33

When Webber couldn`t make a good start was tipped as a bad starter.
    When Hamilton does a bad start is a problem of the team and is quoted by saying:
    “I really dislike going backwards. My start was one of the worst in a long time. I don’t know what my team was up to there. I just don’t understand why it happens when the two guys next to me and two behind get perfect ones. I was very fortunate not to get caught up in a crash. It’s quite an easy thing we do, we do thousands and thousands of practices, it should not be a problem.”

Cry baby. He keeps playing the superstar

• There is no skills involved in getting a good start in an F1 car..

No one, to my knowledge, said Webber was bad at starts (only those who think the driver has skill input..)

Clutch bite points are decided by the team looking at the data. When the lights go red, the driver simply engages both clutch paddles, selects first, then drops one clutch after the other when the lights go out. If a driver gets bogged down, its because of poor PRE-SELECTIONS.

As Hamilton said, they do thousands of practice starts, its not something a driver can really mess up, it becomes like tieing your shoe laces

12. Truth is, Rosberg and Vettel decided the strategy for the other drivers. When Rosberg went for the undercut, the other leaders had to follow suit or they would have lost out to Rosberg. Then it became clear that Vettel was on a one-stopper and was bloody quick too. If any of the other leaders had gone for a 2-stopper they would end up behind Vettel.

Så Webber, Alonso, Hamilton and Massa had no other choice than to go for a one-stopper.

McLaren didn`t have the pace to win this race. The car is the quickest package out there in qualifying trim, but seems to loose the edge in race trim. Must have something to do with tyre-wear, and I for one think this is due to the lack of a stepped nose.

I think McLaren should look into changing the configuration og the car`s front end and try a stepped-nose configuratioen. Their success in the early races was probably down to them having a car more similar to last year which meant they were able to find the right setup from the get-go. But now as the other teams get to grips with their “new cars” the McLarens are fading..

13. The Limit said on 29th May 2012, 15:48

I think what must frustrate Hamilton and Button both is that no driver is currently dominating F1 this season in the way that Vettel did last year. Last year it was obvious to everybody that Vettel was going to be uncatchable even in the early stages of the season, but in 2012 the field is far more open.
    Secondly, back in Australia McLaren had at the time the strongest package. For whatever reason they have thrown their ‘advantage’ away and have allowed the other teams to catch and now pass them. Even the much criticised Ferrari, in the hands of a much maligned Felipe Massa, looked fast at Monaco. In Fernando’s hands it looked lethal, but despite all this the McLaren’s were both dangerously off the boil.
    Personally, I don’t blame the drivers. Hamilton and Button are not making errors, they are driving well, I blame the McLaren management and Martin Whitmarsh especially.
    Not many people cared for Ron Dennis when he was incharge, but the man certainly helped McLaren attain their status as the second most successfull F1 team in history. Without him, this team looks rudderless and inept. Put Whitmarsh’s McLaren team under pressure and they fold time after time.
    As for the Indy 500 I certainly enjoyed the race. Yes the Monaco Grands Prix was a bit processional but that happens sometimes. Such a great day for Dario Franchitti though, he must have been thinking of Wheldon when he crossed the line. Such emotion, really enjoyed it.
    As for those critical of F1, you have to look at the bigger picture. Last year I could easily tell you who the champion would be, this year I havn’t a clue!
    Now, in my world, I would call that ‘competitive’.

14. antonyob (@antonyob) said on 29th May 2012, 16:12

must have been a slow day comments wise for CEEVEE to be the best.

Comparing Monaco with even other F1 tracks is pointless let alone another race series. I should think the busted flush that is Indy is more interested in getting its own house in order than worrying what f1 is up to.

F1 long ago stopped needing the USA, it may be a nice to have but as f1 doesnt bunch cars up every 10 laps your never going to get 20 overtakes a lap that seems is the only reason some poeple watch racing, it probably wont catch on. bothered!

Monaco was deathly even for Monaco but watching drivers getting sideways around a street circuit is certainly not dull, albeit it may be a more purist pleaseure.

15. Mallesh Magdum (@malleshmagdum) said on 29th May 2012, 17:10

Hamilton shouldn’t have said this. McLaren never criticized him when he was having a downturn last year.

• The Limit said on 29th May 2012, 21:07

That maybe the case but everybody else did! I think that Hamilton wants to highlight the fact that he ‘isn’t’ making these errors and that it is the team. Whether or not there is any substance to what Hamilton claims about the team telling him to ‘change clutch settings’ does not alter the fact that McLaren have so far let him down. And Button too for good measure.