Codemasters reveal first F1 2012 and F1 Online: The Game screenshots

F1 video game

Codemasters have revealed images of their two forthcoming Formula 1 titles.

F1 2012 will be their third official Formula 1 racing title and is due for release this September.

As usual the game will be brought up-to-date with the latest season data including the new Circuit of the Americas track in Austin, pictured below.

The browser-based, free-to-play F1 Online: The Game which was announced last August is already in closed beta and is due to enter open beta soon.

Players will be able to run their own team, customise the design of their cars, develop their factories and monitor their progress in the races.

Pictures: Codemasters’ F1 2012 and F1 Online: The Game

F1 video games

Browse all F1 video game articles

64 comments on Codemasters reveal first F1 2012 and F1 Online: The Game screenshots

1. Fixy (@fixy) said on 31st May 2012, 16:18

It’s the first time the cars look good already from the first screenshots (referred to F1 2012) – a good sign!

2. ECWDanSelby (@ecwdanselby) said on 31st May 2012, 16:21

I’m playing the Beta for F1 Online tonight – looking forward to it. Nice amount of customisation, for once.

3. DK (@seijakessen) said on 31st May 2012, 16:23

Finally we will be able to do custom liveries and decals!!!!!

I can only hope now that these can be shared on Xbox Live…

We can do the Marlboro McLaren or John Player Special Lotus liveries in their full glory. :-)

• Isnt that only for f1 online though? and not the xbox’s F1 2012?

• Boon (@boon) said on 31st May 2012, 22:29

after playing around with the livery customisation in the beta, i can say it is a touch limited. hopefully there will be more options in the final release

4. xeroxpt (@) said on 31st May 2012, 16:25

Nice to see that codemasters already has the 2012 models done.

• nemo87 (@nemo87) said on 31st May 2012, 17:15

That McLaren is already out of date ;)

• Preekel (@preekel) said on 31st May 2012, 18:02

I think they take the cars images from Melbourne,and they stay like that, in F1 2011 no matter what track you play on, the McLaren has a silver diffuser, which is the one they rushed thru and didn’t have time to paint before the first race!

• brxtr (@broxter) said on 31st May 2012, 20:37

I could have sworn the senior game designer of F1 2011 said they took the car models/data from the Spanish GP.

• Athan (@athan) said on 1st June 2012, 0:42

• raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 1st June 2012, 2:47

@athan Was F1 2011 not DX11?

• Mike (@mike) said on 1st June 2012, 4:32

F1 2011 used DX11 I believe.

• raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 1st June 2012, 7:23

@mike That’s what I thought too. I play on a W7 X64 box, 2.66GHz dual core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory. Not sure if my card actually supports DX11 though!

• Athan (@athan) said on 1st June 2012, 9:27

I don’t remember seeing an option to switch it to DX11, maybe they added it at a patch? F1 2012 must be DX 11 enabled. I have an i5 @ 4ghz, 16 gig ram, EVGA geforce gtx 560ti SC 1gb ram, fully DX 11. Play all game on 1900×1200.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 1st June 2012, 10:29

If I remember correctly, F1 2011 was DirectX 11-ready out of the box, and F1 2010 had support added with its first patch.

5. joetoml1n (@joetoml1n) said on 31st May 2012, 16:25

I was really looking forward to playing the closed beta of F1 Online. But I found i just couldn’t get on with it.. I like the idea of running the team etc.. but the top down racing of the car using the left/right mouse buttons for accelerate/brake and side to side on the mouse for steering really annoyed me..
    I cannot wait for F1 2012 though, still play 2011 a couple times a week and still loving it.

• Athan (@athan) said on 1st June 2012, 0:45

The steering you get used too and it becomes very very smooth. I only used left mouse button for throttle, i use keyboard to brake, feels better. Very good game once you get used to it. Only down side are people just crashing into you all the time. Hopefully this will be resolved in the future.

6. Roald (@roald) said on 31st May 2012, 16:47

Now all we need is for F1 2012 to be just as good graphically on PS3 as on Xbox and PC. The PS3 version of F1 2011 looked terrible, almost unplayable… PS2-like I’d say!

• Rally Man (@rally-man) said on 31st May 2012, 17:47

I would hope graphics would be superior on the PC then Xbox or PS3.

• sozavele (@formula-1) said on 31st May 2012, 20:08

Well I doubt it because I imagine the overall market is bigger for PS3 and Xbox as both consoles can handle the game whereas some PC’s now just don’t have enough power, so it is probably better to focus on the bigger market as they will do, I think with PC games now, you can’t set the standards too high.

• Rally Man (@rally-man) said on 31st May 2012, 21:51

What? So you’re telling me 6 year old tech can handle the game better then current PC hardware? Many times they make the PC game with much higher graphics power and dumb down the game for console.

Here’s a comparison between F1 2010 PC vs consoles:

• Athan (@athan) said on 1st June 2012, 0:46

PC version should destroy xbox or PS3 version, especially if it is DX11 enabled, i hope it is :D PS3 and xbox are still on DX9 aren’t they?

• Oblong_Cheese (@oblong_cheese) said on 1st June 2012, 0:47

You’ve gotta be joking.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 1st June 2012, 6:12

Ehm, @formula-1, the reason many PC games offer sub par graphics nowadays is that developers are focusing on making them fit for the outdated graphics chips in those consoles,. PC’s are able to use far better settings, if programmer would bother developping them for PCs modern infrastructure.

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 1st June 2012, 23:34

Not true at all, with the right graphics card and as other have said, the PC version will be far superior. MS and Sony systems are set in stone there is a very limited area to work in as for PC it is much greater thus giving a much more quality looking game. What you’re saying isn’t right and is very much the opposite.

7. moshbeard (@moshbeard) said on 31st May 2012, 16:58

Gave the tutorial bit on the beta a go last night and didn’t like it much, I’ll give it a proper go tonight though and see how it feels. As for F1 2012, I’ll buy it and I’ll probably enjoy it a lot too.

8. Calum (@calum) said on 31st May 2012, 17:34

Might have to buy this to have a blast round COTA!

9. dennis (@dennis) said on 31st May 2012, 17:37

Some more customization options would be a nice touch for F1 2012 as well… I’d like to have my own helmet design.

10. SennaNmbr1 (@sennanmbr1) said on 31st May 2012, 17:48

I hope it doesn’t have the stuttering problem.

11. infy (@infy) said on 31st May 2012, 17:53

Another dumbed down arcade game from Codemasters.

12. ajokay (@ajokay) said on 31st May 2012, 18:11

Those noses don’t look any prettier as rendered polygons, do they?

13. JPedroCQF1 (@joao-pedro-cq) said on 31st May 2012, 18:40

The closed beta is getting more feedback about problemas with software than feedback about the game itself. They’ve managed to solve it now, at least I haven’t had the same problem. The game is nice, it has a good amount of costumisation, although the team logo could be even more costumisable. I just don’t like that we have to steer with the mouse. It makes it feel a bit strange. I just prefer steering with the arrows, but otherwise it’s a good and entertaining game.

14. xxiinophobia (@xxiinophobia) said on 31st May 2012, 18:47

Third screenshot of F1 2012, helmet looks to be Maldonado but the T-bar is yellow instead of red as it should be.

15. Gogog said on 31st May 2012, 19:43

Dread to think what people will think off it after they drive it!…:-)