Codemasters reveal first F1 2012 and F1 Online: The Game screenshots

F1 video game

Codemasters have revealed images of their two forthcoming Formula 1 titles.

F1 2012 will be their third official Formula 1 racing title and is due for release this September.

As usual the game will be brought up-to-date with the latest season data including the new Circuit of the Americas track in Austin, pictured below.

The browser-based, free-to-play F1 Online: The Game which was announced last August is already in closed beta and is due to enter open beta soon.

Players will be able to run their own team, customise the design of their cars, develop their factories and monitor their progress in the races.

Pictures: Codemasters’ F1 2012 and F1 Online: The Game

F1 video games

Browse all F1 video game articles

64 comments on Codemasters reveal first F1 2012 and F1 Online: The Game screenshots

1. jimscreechy (@) said on 31st May 2012, 21:05

They are going to have to change the mock of that Mclaren nose for starters

2. bigwilk (@bigwilk) said on 31st May 2012, 21:06

I know the Wii doesn’t usually count but pretty sure this is the 4th consecutive game including F1 2009.

Still playing 2011 whenever the other half lets me rearrange our living room to put the wheel in front of the TV!

• raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 1st June 2012, 7:41

2009 I wouldn’t really count in the same category though – 2009 was rather blatantly a dumbed down arcade game. 2010-2011 still isn’t sim-level, but it’s a lot better than 2009 in that regard.

3. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 31st May 2012, 21:32

Well the F1 Online game looks alright so far. The cars look kinda cool in a fun sort of way. Looking forward to giving it a go. I already play iGP and that’s really good so this will surely be some stiff competition.

4. RumFRESH (@rumfresh) said on 31st May 2012, 21:43

Looks brilliant, although I can’t help but think that this game’s release date is far too late. Usually sports games come out at the beginning of the season not towards the end. Won’t stop me from getting my hands on it of course!

5. baldgye (@baldgye) said on 31st May 2012, 22:09

I’m in the F1 Online and its an awful mess of a ‘game’ that shouldn’t ever be played by humans

6. Rodrrico (@rodrrico) said on 31st May 2012, 23:48

I for one will not be buying this game. Codemasters do not deserve my money as they release games then just move on to another, built off the exact same engine year after year. The physics, handling and general feel of the last two F1 titles were rubbish. Yes I did buy them, but this is one game that won’t be getting my money.

• Mike (@mike) said on 1st June 2012, 4:47

Well, they are expected to bring out a new game every year. So you can forgive them for getting on with the next one quite early. Secondly, they don’t forget about the last one, as shown by the patches they brought out that fixed most of the bugs. Thirdly, The 2011 was fantastic, the physics were brilliant. I suppose it depends on your set up, but with a wheel and a pc the game was simply amazing.

• BBT (@bbt) said on 1st June 2012, 18:42

I agree, the physics are really bad…. 2010 & 2011, I won’t make the mistake a third time and buy this one.
      As it happens I dusted off 2011 the other day and it was worse than I remembered it, biggest waste of £30 ever.

7. Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 1st June 2012, 2:41

Hmmm… The blue cars in the Online game are pretty similar to the old ChampCar Panoz DP01. Always did think that was one of the sexier looking cars of the last 20 or so years.

8. Mike (@mike) said on 1st June 2012, 4:40

I’m sorry, but this is exactly the opposite of what I wanted Codemasters.

You know what the best GP manager game is? It’s GPM2, released in 1996.
    Here’s the fan run site. http://www.gpm2world.com/

I’m sorry, but driving with the mouse/keyboard? In a manager game? This is just another failure to add to the F1 manager heap. I want the Football manager of the F1 world. There’s a market, as you can see by the interest in this game (and many other failed half attempts).

Why can’t they just do it right, this, what Codemasters have made, is no more than a gimmick. This was the best chance at a proper F1 manager game, and Codemasters have flushed it straight down the toilet.

9. JustinF1 (@justinf1) said on 1st June 2012, 7:24

September ?? 2012,. Anybody have a guess what date F1 2012 will be available?

10. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 1st June 2012, 9:24

If I buy F1 2012, I can race the 2012 season cars at all twenty circuits on the 2012 calendar.

But if I wait a year for F1 2013, I can race better-looking cars at all of the circuits plus New York and possibly Hermanos Rodriguez, Mar del Plata and Paul Ricard (at the expense of Valencia and Spa).

And if I wait two years for F1 2014, I can race at all the 2013 circuits with updated rules, and the calendar expands to Russia and will see the return of Spa.

So … why should I spend $90 on a game now when I can wait a year or two and spend $90 on a game that, on paper, is already much better to my mind? What does F1 2012 that makes it an absolutely necessary addition to my collection?

• You get to play it from this september…
      Of course the progress is bigger from the 2011 game, to the 2013 or 2014 game, than the progress is from 2011 to 2012, but personally I think it’s a bit boring to play a game which isn’t the most ‘up-to-date’ on the market.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 2nd June 2012, 3:06

@rasmusjt – I’m afraid that’s not a compelling enough reason. Sure, I can play the game in September, but if I wait a year, I can play a game that I want to play more than F1 2012 – because I love the look of the New York circuit, Hermanos Rodriguez is one of my favourites from the 1980s, and Mar del Plata looks interesting enough to have me intrigued.

This is the problem that all yearly sports releases are faced with: there is very little in the way of difference between each game. It is best shown in the changes between F1 2010 and F1 2011, when compared between the changes between F1 2011 and F1 2012. 2011 saw the introduction of Pirelli tyres and DRS, which altered the core gameplay quite substantially. But 2012 hasn’t really had any changes of that magnitude, so at its heart, it’s really just the same game with an updated driver roster, new car designs and an extra circuit (with the removal of Istanbul). The ability to drive as Kimi Raikkonen at the Circuit of the Americas doesn’t do it for me – I’d much rather wait a year for prettier cars and a whole host of new circuits.

11. William Brierty said on 1st June 2012, 12:17

I have heard well-sourced rumors that F1 2012 includes a completely reconfigured GP weekend in both Career and GP modes. Apparently F1 2012 will feature a programme of runs for each practice session, interviews with the media before and after each session, installation laps in practice, out laps to the grid, an interactive grid (similar to the garage), parade laps, pick-up laps after the race and cinematic podium celebrations. God I hope they are true!!

12. mad79 (@mad79) said on 2nd June 2012, 19:51

well the F1 Online game,is a bad joke.The steering wheel is a mouse!Who thought at this “brilliant”ideea???The game is tottaly ruined,you cant play the real circuits,just some invented ones in the manager part,you cant paint the cars on there liverys,you cant corner in the fast corners easily and the image is wekk intended but badly executed as its the whole game!