Webber rubbishes claims he was told to help Vettel

F1 Fanatic round-up

Mark Webber, Red Bull, Monaco, 2012In the round-up: Mark Webber refutes Mercedes’ suggestion he might have been told to delay his pursuers to help Sebastian Vettel in Monaco.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Mark Webber column: Winning in Monaco is always special (BBC)

“I heard afterwards people had been speculating that I was ‘backing up’ Nico [Rosberg], Fernando [Alonso] and McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton, who was also behind me, to help my team mate Sebastian Vettel gain places… That is absolute rubbish. You just cannot be that fancy around Monaco.”

As I wrote on Sunday, the lap charts bear this out:

New York F1 race in doubt – Ecclestone (ESPN)

“I don’t know if it is going to happen. I hope everything will be OK. They are sorting things out internally with some of their funds. If they are ready for 2013 we will have them.”

Analysis: What’s Bernie’s game? (Grand Prix)

Williams have previously said the fire in Spain was caused when they were draining fuel and not by KERS. But that won’t put Ecclestone off his hobby horse:

“I think the fire was a lot to do with that kinetic energy thing which sparked. It should never have been introduced. It’s an expensive secret because nobody knows anything about it. The public don’t know and don’t care.”

18 Millionen Euro f???r KERS und Motoren (Auto Motor und Spot, German)

Engine manufacturers say an engine and energy recovery system package for the 2014 will cost ??18m (??14.4m).

Vettel: Geheime Ausstiegsklausel (Bild, German)

Helmut Marko says Sebastian Vettel has a performance clause in his Red Bull contract which allows him to leave in 2014.

McLaren MP4-26 2011 ?ǣ Fan Tail (Octopus) Exhaust (ScarsbF1)

“This exhaust solution was not the ??Octopus?? as described; in fact McLaren Technical Director Paddy Lowe explained to me at the 2012 cars launch, that ‘it didn?t look anything like an Octopus’. Adding ‘The exhaust we had was a slot, we called it a fantail’, which was a simpler, albeit still innovative solution.”

Monaco Grand Prix: Suspension With Bells On (Gizmodo)

“Back in 2004, McLaren was approached by Dr Malcolm Smith, a Cambridge University Don. He had a solution that could absorb the sudden bounce from the tyres, in a way that conventional shock absorbers cannot.”

Mistakes from McLaren-Mercedes are hurting Lewis Hamilton (The National)

“If McLaren fail to get their act together before the circus rolls into Montreal in 10 days’ time, it would not come as a major surprise if Ross Brawn, the Mercedes chief, hears a knock on his motorhome door an hour or so after the chequered flag falls.”

McLaren F1 Developer Designs New Auto Driving 100 MPH on 96 MPG (Bloomberg)

“‘We?re taking on this monster industry, but we know it?s going to work,’ says [Gordon] Murray, standing in front of a mural depicting his victorious Formula One cars. ‘I love the idea of being a giant killer.'”

Comment of the day

Are Williams better off with Pastor Maldonado and Bruno Senna than their predecessors? Girts isn’t sure:

The main problem of the ??second tier? (if I may use this combination of words) F1 drivers is not that they cannot deliver, that is, be as quick and great as a Vettel but that they are unable to perform consistently at that level, which, in my opinion, is the case with both of Williams? current drivers. By hiring Maldonado and Senna, Williams might have gained a lot of money that they have been (successfully) investing in the development of the car but I think they have also lost some valuable points that Barrichello or Hulkenberg might have scored.
Girts

From the forum

Site updates

Spam prevention

Last week a few users complained they had received spam messages from another user.

The user in question had their account disabled promptly. Since then I’ve taken time to look more closely at how the messages were sent and made some changes to prevent it from happening again.

Support F1 Fanatic

As you may have seen yesterday, you can now contribute your support to F1 Fanatic on an annual basis instead of monthly, and enjoy ad-free browsing on the site when you do.

See here fore more information:

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to The Dutch Bear and DuncF1!

On this day in F1

A puncture brought Nigel Mansell’s string of victories at the beginning of the 1992 season to an end in the Monaco Grand Prix.

It dropped him behind Ayrton Senna, and he was never going to find a way around the master of Monaco. Not for a lack of trying.

Here’s Mansell losing the lead (the pivotal moment was missed by the TV director):

And the frantic final laps:

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

63 comments on Webber rubbishes claims he was told to help Vettel

1. JCost (@jcost) said on 31st May 2012, 8:05

18 millions for and engine+KERS? How much is a Rolls Royce engine for airplanes?

2. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 31st May 2012, 8:14

So, Ecclestone is seemingly against KERS because he thinks it is too expensive for all the teams to remain competitive? Fair enough ‘nobody cares who is 9th or 11th’ anyway.

3. THOMF1S (@thomf1s) said on 31st May 2012, 8:19

Considering both Williams drivers are ahead of Hulk in the table, i’m not sure its fair to say they pick up points where another driver may have scored. In Spain Pastor had the opportunity to score a win and duely took it, and Senna has scored in every race where he hasn’t been nerfed off the track by a competitor or had a car failure (I’m conveniently forgetting that he was absolutly nowhere in australia before the Massa incident for this arguement!). Sure, neither driver has helped themselves and theoretically could/should have more points, but this is racing!

• Girts (@girts) said on 31st May 2012, 11:35

@thomf1s Well, I believe Williams clearly have had a better car than Force India so far. I agree that discussions about ‘what would be if…’ always mean speculating. But it’s clear that both Senna and Maldonado have thrown away possible or even certain points more than one time. Maldonado’s crash on the last lap at Melbourne is just the most obvious example. In Monaco, the team admitted that they should have left the circuit with more than a single point. Just like in Australia and Spain, Senna’s qualifying performance was not good enough. In these races, Maldonado’s quickest lap time, if not anything else, proved the car’s potential. And Maldonado managed to wreck his Monaco weekend himself even twice.

• THOMF1S (@thomf1s) said on 31st May 2012, 12:42

Yeah I guess you are right, the Williams boys have ballsed up a fair few points scoring opportunities, but you can say similar things about a fair few others on the grid not reaching their potential too, i.e. McLaren, Lotus.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 31st May 2012, 13:42

I have always questioned the long-term benefits of pay to play drivers. I realize that for some teams it has become the economic reality, but what a shame that has become the case. I too feel that it is all well and good that they bring money that may help develope the car, but if they cannot translate said development into realtime points, and there are other better drivers available, then what was the point? It’s a tough one though, because as I say I do acknowledge it is just an economic necessity for some teams.

4. Girts (@girts) said on 31st May 2012, 11:14

Many thanks for the COTD! I even went as far as to criticise Maldonado, one of my favourite drivers, just to become famous.

On a more serious note, I don’t come here to gain popularity; recognition, however, always feels nice!

5. The Limit said on 31st May 2012, 13:08

It all sounds like sour grapes to me. Mark Webber beat everybody and won the Monaco Grands Prix by driving a measured race, nothing ‘fancy’ and the man himself would say. Even if there was one crumb of truth to these accusations, then Vettel did not benefit from it as he was also beaten by Rosberg and Alonso to the line. Complete hogwash on the part of Mercedes, who I believe were still upset at Schumacher losing his pole position the day before. Tough!

6. Lothario said on 31st May 2012, 17:21

I hate how every race is always put in doubt, it is so repetitive. Korea in 2010 had doubts of being ready, then India followed in 2011, USA this year, GP of America next year and Russia after that – all have been in doubt at one point. If this is the case, why are they brought in for a certain year? Why can’t they have more years to get it ready? Or why not do what MotoGP did with the Hungary/Aragon situation? Bring in one race until the other is ready? In the case of the MotoGP situation, Hungary was meant to replace China in 2009, but they delayed it for a year hoping it would be ready in 2010, it wasn’t however, so they got Aragon on the calendar and will have it there until 2016, when the Balatonring will take over for 2017.

Back on subject, Russia got given the right to host the race in 2010, and I’ve seen pictures for the Sochi circuit, I must say – the facilities and circuit look incredible. Now they got the GP in 2010, and got given until 2014 – but even two years down the line, they are claiming “The GP is in terrible danger!!!”, well you are not giving yourself the benefit of the doubt! Well I have an idea, why not host it at Moscow Raceway until Sochi Olympic Park Circuit is ready?

7. Paulocreed (@paulocreed) said on 31st May 2012, 19:31

Here’s an idea, if F1 or FIA want to save costs, get rid of BE. That should help with half their profit.