Alonso warns unpredictable F1 could lose credibility

2012 F1 season

Fernando Alonso warned F1 is in danger of losing credibility because results have been so unpredictable this year.

Speaking to CNN Alonso said “It’s a fantastic season, it’s so unpredictable. I think people stand in front of the TV with some surprises every race and it’s good for the audience, it’s good for the sport to bring attention to the races.”

“On the other hand we can lose credibility. We cannot lose that the best teams, the best drivers, the best strategies or whatever, they win the races. Because at the moment from the outside it seems that in every race [anyone] can win and it doesn’t matter the talent, it doesn’t matter the team, the performance – it’s like a lottery.

Alonso, who is leading the world championship by three points ahead of Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber, said that what a driver achieves in Formula 1 is “not by chance”.

He added: “We need to make clear that if you win a race, it’s because you did something better. And at the moment I don’t know if this is clear for everybody.”

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

121 comments on Alonso warns unpredictable F1 could lose credibility

1. Hallard (@hallard) said on 1st June 2012, 18:40

Nonsense. Yes, the tire behavior is unpredictable and none of the teams have locked it down yet, but the main reason for the unpredictability is just that the field is so competitive now that teams have to raise their game in every single aspect of competition. A slow pit stop, or trouble navigating traffic on an in lap, or a minor oversight in car setup, or a lost opportunity to overtake will simply punish teams and drivers so much more this year than in the past.

In fact, I would argue that this kind of season lends F1 more credibility. We’ve had way too many seasons in recent years where the team with the highest budget or star designer is able to design a car that is just superior to the rest of the field from the word go, and other teams have essentially no chance of mounting a challenge against them, no matter how well they execute on strategy/setup/team operations. How is that more credible than today, where a team has to make the most out of every single opportunity and execute on every single menial task at the highest possible level, or risk being eclipsed by scrappier teams who simply do a better job on that day?

I’d put it this way… what could be more accurately described as a “sport”?
    a) A championship where the car design accounts for the vast majority of a team’s ability to compete, or
    b) A championship where car design can truly be balanced-out by operational effectiveness and driver excellence?

• evolutionut (@evolutionut) said on 1st June 2012, 20:00

well written
      some people have very short memory and quickly forgot how dull and boring most of the races were in the past years…
      but anything you do there always will be some who will not be satisfied

2. Kanil (@kanil) said on 1st June 2012, 19:19

This stuff gives me a headache. Last season Seb won the title with 4 to go, now 6 races down and suddenly people think the sport on the verge of becoming a joke because Maldonado won a race?

Then again, the team principles don’t seem to mind. Maybe the drivers just whine too much…

3. The Limit said on 1st June 2012, 21:19

Alonso makes some good points, but in the end the three big teams of Ferrari/Red Bull/McLaren will leave the others behind because of the vast sums of money at their disposal.
    This season is very un F1. It is unpredicatable, one team is not dominating the field for all to forlornly follow. For us fans it is paradise on earth, for the teams and drivers it must be a nightmare.
    I buy into earlier comments that Fernando is playing down his title hopes so that Ferrari don’t ‘relax’ on developing their car. He knows, as do they, that the championship is too close and the margins are too narrow for complacency. Seeing how quickly McLaren went from having a strong car in Australia to where they are now proves this, and how costly it can be!

4. Todd (@braketurnaccelerate) said on 1st June 2012, 21:22

Since Alonso is so intrigued by drivel quotes (que his Monaco helmet)….

“The [driver] doth protest too much, methinks.”

5. Red D said on 1st June 2012, 23:48

Are you hearing this Pirelli? In my opinion the tyres are just destroying the sport. The Red Bull won the race in Bahrain and the next race it was being lapped by the Williams. Tyres should not make that much of a difference! And I know people are going to say that “the best engineers will figure out how the tyres work and it is fair” but the team bosses like ross brawn and co have said that it is a complete guessing game- a lottery. The teams that get the tyres right just got lucky, it has nothing to do with understanding them better than the other teams. In my opinion, the best car/driver combo should win the race. If that means that one driver completely dominates an entire season, so be it, he deserves to. Anyone who thinks Maldonado in the Williams was the best car/driver combination in Spain is just kidding themselves. Same goes for Alonso in Malaysia for that matter, he drove supremely but that car should not have been able to win a race. Furthermore the whole idea of winning a race by seeing who can nurse the tyres around the track the fastest is just rubbish in my opinion. I will take watching world class drivers pushing 100% over a few extra overtakes any day.

If Formula 1 wants to see more unpredictable results, I don’t think they should give the teams crap tyres and drs in order to try to produce that. They should open up the technical regulations. The regualtions are so strict now that all of the cars have essentially the same characteristics on every track, and as a result, the best car will win on pretty much any type of track. Give the teams more freedom in design. why not Let them have different types of engines, with some suiting high speed better and some low speed better if that helps. The current fomula is not the answer everyone is looking for

6. Bas Weijers (@) said on 2nd June 2012, 0:55

Hi people, I’m relatively new to this site, but think it’s great.
    Mature comments of truly f1-fanatic people, who think before they write. Awesome :)

Anyhow, to the point, I’ve been scratching my head over various discussions so far.
    Just the fact there are this many discussions over tires, a lottery etc, makes this F1 season the most discussable since quite a while I think.
    Though since the start of this season I’ve been thinking, in the end one team (or maybe two) really get the hang of it all, and render all these discussions useless.
    F1 will set itself straight I’m sure. Teams are working like mad to get things solved and predictable. At the end of the season the racing will be most likely a bit boring again (or maybe some new scandal/’gate’ will get out again).

Nursing tires as dramatically as today is new, but hey, since no refuelling is allowed it’s also a bit about nursing fuel. No real limit-seeking until just around the pitstops where they could set their mixture ultrahigh for a couple of laps to do an ‘undercut’ and the last stint sometimes gave some special action.
    Some decades ago they were probably nursing their engines against blow-ups, or their brakes depending on the track – there are always limits that they would push towards, but ofcourse nursing their car all the way through a 2 hour race.

It’s always been like this I think. Now we’re just at the start of a season with a really tight field. And no team has really got their ‘shit together’. YET.

Personally I think that’s the beauty of F1! :)
    I hope not to offend anyone ;) Respect!

7. Ohm (@attakorn) said on 2nd June 2012, 8:19

Random or not I’m loving it!! Much prefer this unpredictability to last season! I think the reason why it’s like a lottery for teams at the moment is because they have yet to fully understand the tyres. That doesn’t mean the best team isn’t winning and it’s up to luck..if they are the best team then they’ll win because they’ll understand the tyres and get it to work better than others!

8. JustinF1 (@justinf1) said on 2nd June 2012, 8:51

For how many laps do these tires have a sweet spot 4? and how may laps does to take to get there? What’s the point of having a “FORMULA 1″ if it’s all a half assed tire and pit strategy crap shoot. Pirelli FAIL!

9. beltabry (@beltabry) said on 2nd June 2012, 16:32

I have been a loyal fan for many years, I dont miss a session, but I really don’t understand how anyone can think the new tyres are making things exciting, all it is doing is making the drivers drive slow to look after the tyres, that isn’t racing. We all want real racing back, when the best drivers, the hamiltons, the alonsos and the rest push to the limit and show us what racing is all about, not all this tiptoe rubbish. Theres one way to bring real racing back, stop them from being forced to look after tyres, and there is only 2 ways of doing this, either make them have a minimum amount of pit stops to make sure tyres don’t fall apart, this way there is no need to drive slow to look after them, or my personal favourite choice, BRING BACK REFUELING!! Getting rid of refueling was the worst decision in F1, it wasnt needed in the past, but for the cars the way they are now with all the downforce making it so hard to overtake, we need the variations which refueling gave, and also the variations in tactics which made things so exciting. Please FIA, take note before people get bored, as I am a true F1 fanatic, and for the first time in my life, I am truley getting bored, I never thought F1 would ever see the days where driving slower and looking after the tyres would win you a race instead of pushing and getting every tength out of the car.

BRING BACK REFUELING!!

10. Fixy (@fixy) said on 3rd June 2012, 21:01

Yes, he’s right, however I don’t think most people believe that luck can be, by itself, the only factor to win a race. You may be lucky to finish 2nd rather than 3rd, but not much more, and there’s always something you do better to finish ahead, like Alonso said.