Monaco GP receives lowest rating of 2012 so far

2012 Monaco Grand Prix

Mark Webber, Nico Rosberg, Monaco, 2012The Monaco Grand Prix produced an extraordinarily close finish. Just 4.1 seconds covered the top five finishers, led by Mark Webber, after 78 laps of racing.

But despite this, the race received an average rating of 5.436, the lowest so far this year. It was also rated lower than the four previous Monaco Grands Prix.

The race was shaped by the ever-present threat of rain, which led teams to be very conservative about the tyre strategies, as Solo pointed out:

Another problem was the one pit stop strategy that they all end up doing either waiting for rain or as a plan.

With such a strategy everyone was on conservative mode to keep the tyres alive.
Solo

Several commenters remarked that the team’s ‘want-and-see’ strategies made for a lifeless race:

David Coulthard made a comment after the race about how impressed he was that the top six drivers didn?t make one mistake.

I think this is less about the current quality of the drivers and more to do with the way in which they are required to drive.

Even Mark Webber after the race didn’t seem that pumped given he’d just bossed the field for 78 laps.
Davidwhite

For some, this was what made the race, though they seemed to be in the minority:

The strategy on the pit wall and the strategic driving in this race was second to none and with the first four cars separated by 1.4 seconds the tension until the end was incredible.
Macca

JCost argued that the traditionally glitzy atmosphere did nothing to entertain:

The glamour cannot save that race as a show for the spectators. I understand drivers love the challenge but for viewers it’s very boring.

A bit more rain would make it a thriller but it never came and we ended up with a poor show.
JCost

John H views Monaco as an all-or-nothing track:

Moncao can either be fantastic or a bore-fest. Obviously its convenient to criticise it after this race but next year it could be fantastic again like it almost was last year, in 2010 and 2008.
John H

Despite echoes of the thrilling climax to this year’s Chinese Grand Prix, rambler wasn’t excited:

I’d say it’s the only time I have ever been so bored while the top six of a race are so close together.

You just knew nothing would happen despite everyone being so close. They might as well been 20 seconds apart, I wouldn?t have felt any different.
Rambler

But have the changes in racing in recent years altered our view of Monaco? DK and Craig-o offered some perspective:

Monaco has never been an overtaking track in any era. The artificial overtaking methods have blinded people tremendously to that.

Not sure why anyone thought somehow there was going to be loads of overtaking in any manner.
DK

Heikki?s move on Jenson was ace! Felipe on form was good too. But the anticlimax of no rain just made it dull towards the end.

It would have been an amazing race five years ago. But abysmal by 2012 standards.
Craig-o

What did you think of the Monaco Grand Prix? Does it deserve its place at the foot of the rankings? Have your say in the comments

Previous rate the race results

Monaco Grand Prix rate the race results

Race Rating
2008 Monaco Grand Prix 8.177
2009 Monaco Grand Prix 5.504
2010 Monaco Grand Prix 6.217
2011 Monaco Grand Prix 7.684
2012 Monaco Grand Prix 5.436

2012 Monaco Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Monaco Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

75 comments on Monaco GP receives lowest rating of 2012 so far

1. matthewf1 (@) said on 5th June 2012, 13:02

All I can say is roll on Canada!

• Nick.UK (@) said on 5th June 2012, 13:59

• DaveD (@daved) said on 5th June 2012, 19:00

Exactly! I’m looking forward to Canada as it can never be boring with Lewis around. He’ll either dominate the race or take out everyone in sight, himself included LOL

• AJ (@aj13) said on 6th June 2012, 9:57

All these suggestions saying the racing was boring because of the top 6 conserving tyres maybe are missing something. The Caterham is still around 2 seconds a lap slower than the McLaren and Jenson had no need to conserve tyres and he couldn’t pass HK.

Monaco is boring because of 1 thing. The modern F1 cars have rendered overtaking nigh on impossible. Not becasue of tyres, strategy….

The rate of acceleration is so much quicker today than even in the 90′s, the cars cannot create enough of a closing delta speed to pass.

Further, reliability has removed the chances of surprises at Monaco – where the toip drivers fail because of their machinery.

This is why today the only excitement of Monaco is the one lap skill game of Qualifying.

Proper F1 racing at Monaco has been consigned to nostalgic and historic memories – and isn’t coming back anytime soon, if ever.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 6th June 2012, 17:00

I think boring is in the eye of the beholder, too. eg. I was on the edge of my seat hoping that NR would secure those 2nd place points and not make a mistake, or that if it rained it might upset his apple cart that way. Or it might have afforded him the opportunity to take a win. I just didn’t want to see him lose ground. And I also don’t expect a lot of passing in Monaco, and have always understood that these races can be processional and that Saturday’s grid positioning is perhaps more important than at any other track. So I just take the race for what it is. Something different than the others, with a rich history, and always lots to talk about in spite of it’s ‘boring’ reputation. I think it helps to not be a pass counter, but instead to put oneself in the driver’s seat and imagine the pressure on them to not make a day-ending mistake. Especially with a bit of rain thrown in, but only a bit.

2. Steve E said on 5th June 2012, 13:10

99% of the time, Monaco is boring. Don’t see why anyone would be suprised that this year should be any different. I still don’t understand all the hype this place gets. Yeah it looks nice, but I tune in to see racing, not yachts.

• Mike (@mike) said on 5th June 2012, 15:32

I’m sorry, but I just can’t agree. The race was not a thriller by any standard… But boring? I don’t think I’ve ever been bored by F1… Even when nothing happens.

You can obviously see, that many times it could have exploded with excitement… But it just didn’t. But that is the nature of sport. And is the case in any sport. Honestly, it’s probably up to the commentators to make up for that.

• mhop (@mhop) said on 5th June 2012, 23:02

Totally agree. I enjoy absolutely every grand prix and I would never describe one as ‘boring’. It worries me that many F1 fans are getting a sweet-tooth for DRS/Pirrelli position-changing manias!

Having said that I agree with many of the criticisms of the Monaco GP, especially the fact that the drivers seemed overly concerned about preserving their tyres rather than actually racing.

3. Ciaran (@ciaran) said on 5th June 2012, 13:11

Typical overreaction is all I think it is. It’s Monaco, of course there’s not going to be wheel-to-wheel racing for 78 laps, I don’t see why anyone would expect anything else. As Monaco races go, it was perfectly fine.

• OEL F1 (@oel-f1) said on 5th June 2012, 13:27

Agreed. Can’t understand how people can call it “boring”.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 5th June 2012, 13:36

I agree with that @ciaran, to me it was a pretty good race in Monaco, although its lack of action did remind a bit of times we had prior to 2010.

• PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 5th June 2012, 15:09

Because it was mainly down to tyre conservation, which means they weren’t really pushing, so it didn’t look amazingly fast. Watching drivers going through the corners at the limit is fantastic, and will never get boring. The last laps however when it started to rain were indeed fantastic, because that shows a different driver skill, and anyone could have overtaken at any time, or slipped or made a mistake, and that made it tense and enjoyable to watch, but other than that, it was a slower than usual Monaco procession.
      It’s not the lack of overtakes here, just the lack of full paced speed. They possibly could have brought the harder tyres here so that the drivers could have pushed more.

• frood19 (@frood19) said on 5th June 2012, 23:32

with harder tyres they might have been even slower, but it would have seemed quicker, if they were pushing more. it certainly would have guaranteed a one-stop race, whereas with the super-soft and soft, we could have had different strategies. however, with the field so close, no one had many gaps to drop into (unusual for monaco), so two-stoppers were unlikely.

for me, it was really enjoyable, the last few laps were incredibly tense – i would challenge any of the nay-sayers to walk away from the tv in the last 5-10 laps of that race – impossible!

• Karthikeyan (@ridiculous) said on 5th June 2012, 15:34

It wasn’t boring, but miraculously my cupboard was clean when the race finished.

• OldIron said on 5th June 2012, 17:08

Very true – I didn’t expect any action or excitement. And I didn’t get any either, so it lived up to expectations.

Qualifying is another matter- the worlds best driving in such confines is well worth watching. I’m frankly puzzled why anyone would want to watch a procession of conservatively driven cars on the Sunday though, never mind rate it higher than 1.

• Mark (@marlarkey) said on 6th June 2012, 13:35

Its true Monaco has never been a big overtaking circuit, its appeal lies in the close running and the barriers and the glamour.

But I sense that it is getting worse with processions of close running cars becoming the norm over recent years – apart from when the rain comes down.

The key question is what on earth could they do about it ? Assuming that they don’t drop the race from the calendar, what could they do to improve the racing at Monaco ?

Just thinking out loud…. how about some harbour-front changes, removing Nouvelle Chicane and create a longer ‘straight’ through the tunnel and down towards Tabac ? Or remodel Anthony Noghes to allow a more varied and faster exit which would end up with more opportunites at St Devote.

There’s not much can be done from St Devote to Portier.

4. sumedhvidwans (@sumedhvidwans) said on 5th June 2012, 13:23

To respond to the argument that “Don’t expect loads of overtaking in Monaco anyways”, I don’t think viewers wanted overtaking moves, but viewers wanted atleast attempts.

None of the top 6 ever took an inside line or outside line into the chicane or into turn 1. Even Jenson didn’t do anything to Heikki. Michael was getting delayed by Kimi but he also never did anything out of the ordinary.

Forget overtaking, there wasn’t even an attempt of overtaking

• Pelican (@pelican) said on 5th June 2012, 16:59

Agree completely. Sure, it’s hard to pass at monaco, but that means that the attempted passes are daring, and the few that succeed are brilliant. Because of the fame and history of Monaco, the drivers risk a little more to get in front. This year, whether everyone was waiting for rain or just protecting their tires, no one tried very hard to pass, even though they were all running nose-to-tail, and that’s why the race was justly rated so low. The race was a drag not because it’s too hard to pass, or because we’ve been duped by various gimmicks introduced in the last few years, but all because the teams and drivers settled and played it safe.

• necrodethmortem (@necrodethmortem) said on 5th June 2012, 17:05

Exactly, I’m fine with a Monaco GP with no overtakes as long as there is some kind of pressure, but this time they were just following each other around, while it was obvious that they could’ve pushed harder.

• necrodethmortem (@necrodethmortem) said on 5th June 2012, 17:08

And I think the reason for this is that the teams are terrified by the uncertainty of the new Pirellis. I hope this won’t be the case in the next races, but I’m not too sure.

• Alex Brown (@splittimes) said on 5th June 2012, 18:27

I wonder if Lewis’s fortunes on the track last year had an effect on drivers’ aggression?

• vjanik said on 6th June 2012, 9:04

Yes. and not just Lewis. I think since the stewards are giving out penalties for practically any contact whatsoever, drivers take less risks than they used to. They want to avoid getting a drive through or a five place grid drop in the next race for trying to pass someone and making a mistake. Couple that with the Pirellis and there is little benefit in attempting to drive excessively and pass someone, except in a DRS zone which is practically for free. Yes , drivers do drive aggressively and we have a lot of non-DRS passes, because thats what good drivers do. But they get punished later on. Those drivers who were great overtakers before all the rule changes, are now suffering because their driving style is no longer suited to this form of F1. Now, different characteristics make you win. (being smooth, soft on your tyres, not very aggressive, dont take risks, go just fast enough but not too much, wait for others to fall off the cliff, dont get into trouble,)

From the outside this looks very unpredictable and throws very surprising results. Races are entertaining to watch, even for casual fans. But from inside it must be frustrating. We’ve already heard some of those frustrations surface. But ultimately its what the fans want. Do we want the best drivers in the best machines, challenged to the limit and showing their skills fighting glory? (here inevitably patterns emerge as the fastest drivers and smartest designers eventually get ahead) Or do we want a gamble where anything is possible? (might as well watch the drivers go round in VW Golfs on Pirellis).

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 6th June 2012, 9:31

@vjanik, I see it differently. You are right about having a lot of penalties where many would prefer a bit more room for racing incidents to just happen, and its inevitable that this does make drivers a bit less risk taking, and possibly make us miss out on a few passes.

But on the other hand in the past year we have seen that its not just

as you write. Otherwise Button would be leading the championship from maybe Rosberg.

In 2011 next to seeing Hamilton have all sorts of accidents, we had impressive overtaking going on between Alonso, Vettel and Webber at several races, and some very nice moves by Hamilton and Button as well. I think Hamilton’s approach is working fine so far, he does rake in a lot of points (bar some mistakes that are rather the team than his making) and will be right there to capitalize if they keep the car fast and grab his chances.

5. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 5th June 2012, 13:24

I thought it was an incredible race!!!
    5 or 6 cars separate by about 4 seconds or so. What’s not to like?
    And when the rain came, it further increased the tension of the race.

• Rocky (@rocky) said on 5th June 2012, 14:13

5 or 6 cars separate by about 4 seconds or so. What’s not to like?

this is only due to the fact they could not pass, it’s a parade not a race.

Love the place love the event but not as a race. Q3 is the race.

6. TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 5th June 2012, 13:30

Race are always rubbish when we get the “rain in 5 minutes” for the whole race.

I’d happily have the commentators and FOM not mentioned the weather at all and if it happens, it happens.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 5th June 2012, 13:45

@tommyb89 It’s the nature of the beast at the moment, particularly at a track like Monaco where overtaking is virtually impossible. Change tyres two laps before a rain shower which forces a second change to intermediates and you’ve thrown away around half a minute.

It would have been great to see Vergne try to make it to the end without gambling on a switch to intermediates at a second stop, just to see if he could have made the tyres last after his early stop.

• sandy (@sandy) said on 5th June 2012, 15:01

I thought the force india’s had already passed vergne before he pitted

• With regard to an extra change of tyres because of rain; case in point, look at Hungary last year (?) with Hamilton and Webber.

I don’t think this was a boring race by any stretch. It probably would have been more exciting if the rain did fall in a big way, or at least enough to force a change to inters (or try to get by on slicks a la Timo Glock in Brazil 2008), or if there was no threat of rain to begin with.

Ultimately that’s racing, and nobody wanted to be the one to take the gamble and risk losing it all.

• MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 5th June 2012, 13:58

@tommyb89 I actually agree with you. So many radio messages that were relayed were about rain that never fell and tyre strategies. I really wish that they’d stop doing that as well.

• bag0 (@bag0) said on 5th June 2012, 17:40

I love F1, but after 20 laps I was going to turn the TV off, but then they said “rain”, the magic word that glued me to the chair untill the end of the race. It was still a borefest, but had the possibility of becoming a great race. Looking back, it seems like the director played these messages because he felt the amount of spectators will drop off dramatically.

• OldIron said on 5th June 2012, 17:11

If only there had been something other than the threat of rain to talk about…

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 5th June 2012, 18:49

I have a feeling FOM warns us for rain every 5 minutes when in moist conditions, simply to keep the fans tuned in. Hey, I don’t like it, but who can blame them – It’s a brilliant strategy.

• AlonsoWDC (@alonsowdc) said on 5th June 2012, 20:21

It’s not FOM who deliberately warn us – it’s FOM using rain-related team radio transmissions as code red. The teams have to do that, it’s their job to warn the driver and prepare for rain minutes in advance, even if it doesn’t materialize.

But to be completely fair to all parties here at Monaco, it was raining multiple times during the race and the clouds completely broke over the principality just after the race ended.

7. George Nikolaou (@) said on 5th June 2012, 13:56

Monaco it’s always great. It is like a marathon not a 200m run.. It is something between the track and the driver. It has nothing to do with overtaking..
    An absolutely unique place and track.
    It is not a circus that has to entertain the spectators through “magical”moments , but for everyone to appreciate the skills and the driving abilities in an environment that it is not made for typical racing.
    I know that it is just my opinion but has to do also i think with the fact that i have been in Monaco for the race twice and it was just amazing. A thousand times better than seeing it on TV.
    The exact opposite with other tracks I’ve BEEN .

8. Nick.UK (@) said on 5th June 2012, 14:04

I loved how Mark Webber openly said he didn’t like all the media and glamour that went with the race. He called it all “pretentious” in his column on the BBC website. I’ve said just that for years. I dislike the circuit, personally. It doesn’t give the type of action that I enjoy watching.

It’s 100% the history that keeps Monaco on the calendar. It’s just a shame that the unwritten rule that protects Monaco’s place on the calendar doesn’t apply to other historic venues where ‘the show’ can actually be presented properly to an audience.

• George Nikolaou (@) said on 5th June 2012, 14:24

..you forgot to mention also what Webber told about the track.. “If someone has to go to only one Formula 1 race , that should be Monaco..”
      :-)

• Nick.UK (@) said on 5th June 2012, 14:30

It’s very ‘meh’ to me. I’d choose Silverstone, Monza, Albert Park or Spa over Monaco any day!

• George Nikolaou (@) said on 5th June 2012, 14:47

Something that it is very important i think, it’s the fact of the different perspective about the race when you are there or watching it from tv.
          I’ve been also to Monza and Spa..
          Compared with Monaco the other and most favorite tracks to me , they are loosing hands down.
          Spa it is wonderful as a location and as a track. But you see the cars only 44 times and you can’t hear them for the most of the race.
          I love watching Spa GP on tv ,but being there it was something completely different.
          In Monaco you hear a noise like no other due to the hills and the building surroundings. You may lose the “audio” for no more than 10- 15 seconds.. And actually in some grandstands you can “touch” the cars..
          It is unbelievable.
          I know that on tv a race without overtaking could be very , very boring. But you lose actually all the effort that the drivers make to “stay alive”. If you experience this you cannot forget.
          And it is easy to recall when you see again the race on tv.
          Try it in the future.. you will be amazed..:-)

Canada it is one track that I’d love to visit.. should be fantastic..

• xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 5th June 2012, 18:30

I’d choose Suzuka, Nürburgring Nordschleife or Circuit de la Sarthe. Monaco would still be pretty high up though

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 5th June 2012, 16:37

because her e he has more possibilities to beat the rest of the paddock and his great teammate as well. I would say Spa or Suzuka, but Monaco? Would you see soccer matches if you knew that 99% of the times they finish 0 – 0 ?

• George Nikolaou (@) said on 5th June 2012, 18:37

I would like to hear the opinion of a person just like me who went to Monaco for the race but also to other races.
          The total experience it’s beyond comparison..

Formula 1 it is not like soccer. Even if you know the favorite.
          Monaco it is not the typical race. I am not the only one to say that.
          All drivers of all times saying the same thing.
          It’s the driver and the track. The other drivers are not the goal but a distraction.
          Of course i could understand if someone doesn’t like the way Monaco works.
          Especially on TV.

• artificial racer said on 5th June 2012, 17:48

I’ve been to Albert Park, Singapore, Sepang, and Fuji. Of those, Singapore was very exciting due to the closeness to the track, and it has interesting racing, although it gets hot. Logistics and facilities were also good. And the whole “night race” thing is unique.

Albert Park was also very good, with a nice park setting for spectators, but still a street circuit, yet it is also a “proper race track” with fast corners and runoff areas. It’s also a nice place to visit.

Sepang was great except for the transit in and out. It’s an interesting track with good racing and from some points you can see a lot of circuit at once. And the weather can make dramatic scenery.

I think Monaco would be great to see/hear the cars close up, for so many laps, and the elevation change in the circuit is very cool (we need more elevation changes in F1, 3-dimensions is better than 2). The odds are that the race itself will not be exciting.

Montreal seems like a nice one to visit.

9. caci99 (@caci99) said on 5th June 2012, 14:14

Interesting to see that rates of races have decreased race after race this year. What could it be, are we more familiarized with the new rules, cars, tyres, or is it really that performance has decreased?
    The low rate that Monaco got, gives a chance that this trend stops in Canada.

• caci99 (@caci99) said on 5th June 2012, 14:18

Forget about above post. I had a second look and saw that the table is ordered by rate and by date. Reading in a hurry between small windows of pause at work.

10. sandy (@sandy) said on 5th June 2012, 15:06

The low rating could also be due to the fact that four of the most popular drivers i.e button,kimi,schumi and hamilton had a pretty average race

11. Coanda (@ming-mong) said on 5th June 2012, 15:09

Well F1 coverage here in OZ is pathetic and has now gone back to delayed telecasts & in SD so they can run “D” grade movies on there HD channel. A lot of viewers i am sure would be seeking illegal feeds so i am not surprised. Didn’t someone tell them we have two local aussies mixing it up it the pinnacle of motorsport.

Jibbed !

• Metal Mr. L (@metalluigi) said on 5th June 2012, 15:23

And the amount of commercial breaks for products no self-respecting F1 fan would care for in a million years is ridiculous. And they’re always terribly timed.

• Coanda (@ming-mong) said on 5th June 2012, 15:43

I know every 5 to 7 laps & always around pit stop time :{ I am surprised Fox haven’t done a deal yet. I thought 10/One was doing a good job but now they have made this silly decision for F1 & Moto GP & lost the footy which was also HD + 5.1 to 7 SD + Stereo :{.

Funny how they started the year in HD. Image if they broadcasted the OZ GP in SD they would have had all the major papers on there back…

When Monaco was running they were showing Netball in HD. rrrrrr!

• bag0 (@bag0) said on 5th June 2012, 17:51

We have the same problem here in Hungary, though we get the live feed. I would trade this for a delayed show without commercials and with professional commentators . At Barcelona they had no idea why VET and MAS were given a penatly, and when the director showed images of VET with open DRS under yellow flags they did not understand what the director was showing…

• Nick.UK (@) said on 5th June 2012, 22:04

To be fair, DC and Edwards didn’t pick up on the DRS being open during that replay. So even the pros can miss subtle things.

12. Girts (@girts) said on 5th June 2012, 15:15

I gave the race an 8 but I understand why it was rated low, compared to the other GPs we have seen this year. 2009 and 2010 Monaco ratings were not much bigger either. The 2008 race was rainy and the 2011 GP was certainly more exciting with 28 passes, different strategies and a couple of impressive collisions.

This year’s race saw only 12 passes, none of them was in the top ten positions and only some were shown on TV. Almost every driver made only one pit stop and the rain that was ‘expected’ all race long, never really managed to spice up the racing. Yes, it started to drizzle in the end and the leading pack came together but there were no real fights for the positions.

I enjoyed the race anyway as I always love Monaco’s glamour and the tight streets. But I cannot ask everyone to have the same attitude so the F1F readers’ rating seems to make sense.

13. Karthikeyan (@ridiculous) said on 5th June 2012, 15:32

Wow, lower than Bahrain. That too when people were voting 1′s because the race was being held there. Another low for risky-boring-snooze fest.

• Kimi4WC said on 7th June 2012, 3:22

Bahrain was a blast, lots of overtaking and close driving, not only in DRS zones. Looking forward to India!!!!

14. Gerry said on 5th June 2012, 15:58

Yup !! it was a BORING PROCESSION. Roll on Canada!!

15. buzzzz (@) said on 5th June 2012, 16:42

How is a race rated anyway?