Video lap of the Circuit of the Americas in Codemasters’ F1 2012

2012 United States Grand Prix

A virtual lap of the Circuit of the Americas is shown in this video of Codemasters’ forthcoming Formula 1 game.

The video shows three laps of the circuit in a development version of F1 2012, giving insight into both the configuration of the track and the current look of the game.

The 5.5km (3.4-mile) Hermann Tilke-designed track is currently under construction in Austin, Texas. It will hold the United States Grand Prix for the first time on November 18th.

F1 2012 is due for release in September. Codemasters also revealed two new images from the game today.

Austin F1 Track Map

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

86 comments on Video lap of the Circuit of the Americas in Codemasters’ F1 2012

1. racerdude7730 (@racerdude7730) said on 5th June 2012, 21:43

I find it funny how people would rather say bad things then anything good. Whats the one thing alot of us fans complain about on new tracks? “Its just a straight and then a 90 deg bend into a slow turn” “We want fast corners that push a car to its limit” and so on and so on. The biggest complaint has always been there are to many slow corners and 90 deg hair pins or a chicane. Well now we have a track that has fast sweeping corners and no chicane and now people say that they don’t like it because there are to many fast parts. Why is it no one is happy? lol jw Oh and i think the track looks really good but we will have to wait and see. I dont like Turns 8 and 9 that much i think it slows the cars up more then they need to be.

• necrodethmortem (@necrodethmortem) said on 5th June 2012, 21:51

I just read through all comments and I couldn’t find anyone complaining about the fast parts, quite the contrary.

• racerdude7730 (@racerdude7730) said on 6th June 2012, 3:51

hey sorry i was reading and writing on to forums at once. It was the other place i was posting on that everyone was complaining about that. I have always thought its funny how people find a way to complain about something no matter what happens. Just to clarify so i don’t seem to stupid. Am i forgiven?

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 6th June 2012, 7:21

Just a couple of days ago we had @keithcollantine struggling to understand why people always have to complain (that was about F1 becoming a “lottery”), so you are in good company getting annoyed by that kind of behaviour @racerdude7730!

But thanks for adding this comment so we better understand your previous one :-)

2. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 5th June 2012, 21:50

I most certainly won’t buy the F1 2012. Ever-present bugs on my PC and ridiculous framerate and tearing on PS3 (not mentioning simply ugly graphics) put me off permanently. Even in this short video I can see framerate drops and tearing. New tracks, updated cars and teams are not enough to buy new racing game. It’s getting pretty much like EA sports or Konami football games which differ little to none with every year itterations.

3. Nick.UK (@) said on 5th June 2012, 21:58

The gears on downshift sound horrible & incorrect. Anyone esle agree or just my ears?

• Lemon (@lemon) said on 5th June 2012, 23:33

Yes exactly what I thought actually, sounds like the sound has changed since 2011…. and not for the better!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 6th June 2012, 7:22

I think a lot of that was the awful driving (maybe because of playing too much with that brake bias?) in the video Nick.

• Yes i thought it sounded like a MotoGP bike downshifting, very odd.

• Mads (@mads) said on 6th June 2012, 11:10

Yeah. Going forward the sound was okay, though it didn’t sound like a McLaren. The real car has a much more hollow sound from onboard. But the downshifts were horrible, and generally every time he wasn’t on the throttle the engine sounded more like a leaf blower then anything else.

4. DMC (@dmc) said on 5th June 2012, 23:34

I think the track looks good seems to have a bit of everything. I hope they keep a similar handling model to 2011 as you could really push without constantly worrying about twitchy handling.

• adamf184 (@adamf184) said on 5th June 2012, 23:39

Totally agree. The sound should be the easy bit. Track looks good, game sadly just like the other poor predecessors.

5. F1 2011 is basically a good game but bugs were unacceptable.It’s through that CM never got the sound of the engine quite right,but the 2011 was improvement compared to 2010,2010 was simply awful.I’m not quite sure what to make of the 2012 sound,engine and upshifts are reasonable,but that downshift is awful.It’s mostly has to do with Steven Hood’s crappy driving,he’s not timing his downshifts right,sounds like engine braking to me,or so i hope.For the handling and AI will see in september,happy to see they included the brake bias change onboard.

6. Now i know this F1 2012 Mclaren sound reminded me of something i’ve heard before.I went and found it,and here it is!

7. Coanda (@ming-mong) said on 6th June 2012, 1:57

I think this track looks more interesting on paper than in the game & I fear there will be only one opportunity for overtakes which is into T12. I think they should have had an alternative layout which bypassed T8 & T9 with a connecting smoother radius from T7 to T10 which i think would have aided overtaking into T11.

As for the game, it is nice to see an on board brake bias option however it would have been nice to incrementally move bias like you do in rFactor instead of having only 3 options. Its better than nothing though. Not that i race on this view but it also be nice if they used the real life F1 tacho overlays & correct TV points for replays etc… I think there should be more emphasis on the driver in the pit stops as well so drivers can incur a penalty for speeding or loose time for missing there pit box…

8. Lateralus (@lateralus) said on 6th June 2012, 2:15

The graphics look amazing. The physics, with the driver able to throttle-brake-throttle-brake in mid-corner and the car staying completely balanced, well that just looks silly.

9. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 6th June 2012, 6:32

The track suffers the same problems most Tilke tracks do…it just goes on for far too long. If the lap was 20 seconds shorter it’d be perfect…but it just seems to go on forever, and not in a charming way. The lap starts really well but bu the time you hit the second twisty bit (by the “vending area” on the map) you loose interest.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 6th June 2012, 7:26

For me it also feels like they put a tad too much into the track. For me the worst of it is having that stadium section, then another supposedly fast (lets see about that) Turkey turn 8 clone and then another short straight before we finally get to the end of the lap (not likely to give much overtaking on start finish is it?) really stretches the attention span.

But lets wait and see, at least its not straights and chicanes connected by 90 degrees turns.

10. Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 6th June 2012, 6:51

Turn 3 – 11 is going to be very challenging and fun for the drivers

11. Baldry00 (@baldry00) said on 6th June 2012, 7:31

Did anyone notice how incredibly realistic the tyre smoke is from the lock up at turn 1 on the first lap? it looks real.

12. Lothario said on 6th June 2012, 8:53

This is a Tilke circuit!? This is by far the best Tilke track there is, this Circuit of the Americas has quickly become one of my favourite circuits ever!

13. maxthecat said on 6th June 2012, 11:19

Awful track.

14. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 6th June 2012, 13:42

The circuit looks good. I think the borrowed ideas from other tracks works really well actually. The long right-hander modelled on Turn 8 looks a little tamer (not complaining, I’m terrible at the corner!) but the quick left-rights modelled on Silverstone look fun and very unlike Tilke. Great elevation change as well.

15. Lothario said on 6th June 2012, 16:54

The DRS activation point is not in the place I imagine it will be. The problem with DRS before a slow corner, is that you could get the advantage and then overtake them into the corner and still be able to use DRS. So maybe the DRS activation point should be after the hairpin and the zone should be alot shorter, because also the zone being longer will increase the chance of an overtake long before the corner at the end of the zone. I know this problem shouldn’t apply with KERS, but after Abu Dhabi 2010, I think we know all slow corners leading on to a long straight, slipstreaming and passing is alot harder because the guy ahead will have got onto the throttle half a second ahead.