Maldonado demoted to 22nd after gearbox change

2012 Canadian Grand Prix

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Montreal, 2012Pastor Maldonado will lose five places on the grid after a penalty for having his gearbox changed.

Maldonado originally qualified 17th after crashing at the end of Q2.

His penalty leaves him 22nd on the grid, promoting Heikki Kovalainen to 17th.

It’s Maldonado’s third grid penalty in the last two races. He had another gearbox change in Monaco and was demoted ten places for colliding with Sergio Perez during practice.

See the updated 2012 Canadian Grand Prix grid.

2012 Canadian Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Canadian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Williams/LAT

15 comments on Maldonado demoted to 22nd after gearbox change

1. mac_user67 said on 10th June 2012, 17:04

Can anyone explain to me how Maldonado has managed to go through a gearbox which has surely only managed a few hundred metres in Monaco and the limited mileage it has covered in qualifying in Montreal?

2. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 10th June 2012, 17:14

can he now be described as a ‘car breaker’?

3. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 10th June 2012, 17:23

So, he’ll be starting behind de la Rosa again… Hopefully the first few turns go better than in Monaco!

4. MahavirShah (@mahavirshah) said on 10th June 2012, 17:36

In terms of the total positions demoted Maldonado has become the top most penalized driver this year. 10 + 5 in Monaco and another 5 here. I don’t know why but he and Schumacher seem to get penalties by the dozen. More than Lewis and Massa.

• Jeanrien (@jeanrien) said on 10th June 2012, 18:35

Hum you are missing Lewis going from pole to last … That’s a 23 places penalty

I’m still surprised he doesn’t start from the pitlane as modifications has been made to the car after quali … Isn’t it the rule ?

5. James_mc (@james_mc) said on 10th June 2012, 17:44

I guess if it was my money propping up the team I’d feel more than entitled to whack the gearbox off any immovable object I fancied…

6. mr ROSSI (@mr-rossi) said on 10th June 2012, 17:48

I think williams could do with a Hamilton or Alonso calibre driver-the car seems to be good enough to attract a top driver, but would a top driver take the chance? Anyway – C`MON WILLIAMS…….