Rate the race: 2012 Canadian Grand Prix

2012 Canadian Grand Prix

What did you think of the Canadian Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Canadian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (1%)
  • 5 (2%)
  • 6 (4%)
  • 7 (15%)
  • 8 (30%)
  • 9 (28%)
  • 10 (18%)

Total Voters: 797

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

223 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Canadian Grand Prix

1. Asif (@f1asif) said on 10th June 2012, 20:57

This one is a 10 for me because:
    a) I am Canadian 
    b) Good amount of passing
    c) Varying strategies & seeing those tires fall of the cliff
    d) Surprising looking podium finishers
    e) History making 7th winner out of 7 races.

Having said that, could it have gone any better for Hamilton? The race win would have been handy enough but to see Gosjean and Perez take places from his main rivals to propel him into the championship lead….. wow!

2. Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 10th June 2012, 20:59

The final laps had me screaming, especially when Vettel passed Alonso, but the rest was…****.

7/10. I really don’t like these “procession until the end when the tyres get messed up” races. Yes, I’d very much rather have complete processions.

3. I am a die-hard Lewis fan but I gave it a 9!! I dont think anything can ever be perfect and warrant a 10 but today was definitely great. We had all the cars on the track for an extended period, no safety cars, and we also saw some very good drives like Perez from 15th. Cant ask for more, I dont car what you say but that was a race, my heart was beating so fast towards the end; unlike Monaco I feel like we actually saw some driving and guys battling to get everything they can out of the cars. Brilliant!!!!!

4. budchekov (@budchekov) said on 10th June 2012, 21:00

9, He’s back! :)

5. Martyn said on 10th June 2012, 21:01

Hamilton passing Vettel and Alonso to win in the final laps of the Canadian Grand Prix should be thrilling. Actually, it was dishwater dull.

In short, the formula has become a dumbed down joke with lots of glittery attractions to enthrall those with the attention span of a goldfish. One mistake – visiting a crap circuit like Abu Dhabi for the final race of the 2010 season – has garnered support for a much more vitiating set of debasements.

Like Pepsi, DRS and candy tyres taste sweet in the afterglow of the sup, but the sensation swiftly fades and in the long run it’ll only give you toothache. I wouldn’t swap my Laphroaig for a Pepsi, and neither should have Bernie. Count me disinterested in F1 until it grows its balls back and stops catering to the lowest common denominator. If that means losing a few TV bucks in the short-to-medium term, so be it.

• Ike E (@trublu) said on 10th June 2012, 21:05

HAM’s last passes were ‘dull’ because they couldn’t put up a fight due to badly worn tires. Not because of DRS.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 10th June 2012, 21:15

That clearly wasn’t the case: Alonso defended from Hamilton through turns seven, eight, nine and ten – then he was zapped in the DRS zone.

• Andy (@turbof1) said on 10th June 2012, 21:30

Didn’t looke like defending to me; looked more like Hamilton being carefull not to run off his front wing and Alonso really struggling with his tyres. Because of that Alonso had very bad traction out of the hairpin. Hamilton was already alongside Alonso before Hamilton was allowed to use DRS. He would have passed Alonso anyhow; DRS only made it quicker.

• Martyn said on 10th June 2012, 21:21

As I said, the DRS and the bizarre tyre performance combine to bring about lots of passing, but the contribution of this plenitude of cheap overtaking to F1 as entertainment and as a sport is tawdry, and at the same time these changes to the formula have reduced the amount of driver skill involved, reduced the occurrence of genuinely exciting, meaningful duels (like the one between Hamilton and Alonso in Canada 2010), robbed us of an entertaining battle between Button (whose terrible form surely isn’t attributable to his inherent capacity to drive a normal F1 car with sensibly designed tyres) and the other title contenders, and reduced the gravitas of the whole thing.

I’m glad to see Lewis back to his best, but I can’t say I’m enamored of this race nor of the 2011 and 2012 seasons in general.

• Andy (@turbof1) said on 10th June 2012, 21:33

I am also critical about the tyres, but clearly Alonso and Vettel should have pitted. I find it very normal that one can overtake cars that drive on 30 laps older tyres. Norging bizarre about that, just logic.

• Aldoid said on 10th June 2012, 22:53

I think it’s totally unfair to criticize the two DRS passes for the lead. It’s almost as if some of us are trying to ignore the fact that prior to catching both Vettel & Alonso, Lewis was reeling them in steadily to the tune of over a second a lap. The real travesty would’ve been if after that we were forced to watch him trundle around behind them on their worn tires. When LH took Alonso, he was alongside him even before he opened his DRS. It definitely made the passes easier, but Ham drove his ass off to get back in touch with them & deserved the win.

I notice that there seems to be a school of thought that says a race can’t be exciting without a slew of overtaking, but much like Monaco last week, there was a lot more to enjoy from this weeks race than just the number of overtakes. I suppose it’s because I always keep one eye on the live timing while I watch the race: there’s ALWAYS something worth paying attention to that you won’t see on the world feed. Watching how the times stack up from sector to sector, seeing who’s gaining or losing time & where exactly it’s happening, trying to work out tire wear & strategy based on pit stops & lap times… there’s so much to take in! I’m sorry, but it is my opinion that if all you’re doing is watching the broadcast on TV, then you’re not really watching F1.

6. mrgrieves (@mrgrieves) said on 10th June 2012, 21:01

Very impressive start from the 24 drivers in turn 1

Only 15 laps in the middle where it went quiet but a brilliant battle with the top 5 at the end with all the different strategys coming together

7. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 10th June 2012, 21:02

A 9 for me, great action on the track but DRS was just to much. And to think they cut it down from last year. What happend to Schumacher was verry weird, No one’s seen that one yet! I was amazed he made it around the lap to return to the pits that fast. Great race from Hamilton phew!

When he made his last pit-stop and the two guys in front didn’t come in i thought it to be a huge mistake. If he had stayed out with the other two Grosjean and Perez would have on them! What a sight that could have been.

Great race, cant wait for Valencia. Hey never thought i’d say that. Lets hope the 2012 formlula can finally spice up this race

8. mylo (@mylo) said on 10th June 2012, 21:02

Well done to Hamilton been a long time coming this season ….Hopefully the first of many

9. PJ (@pjtierney) said on 10th June 2012, 21:03

I gave it a 4.

Up until the last 15 laps or so not a whole lot happened; I even went down stairs to put the kettle on without fear of missing anything.

Massa’s start was interesting (until he spun it), would have been nice to see him keep that pace up.

From then on it was pretty dead until Schumacher makes that impressive divebomb on a Sauber… only for DRS to whomp him on the next straight. Then he had the failure which kicked him out of the race.

The only redeeming factor in the race for me was Lewis’ pace on his final stint. It was nice to see him drive all out to catch those ahead of him, but once he got there it was basically a case of a faster car on better tyres with DRS to breeze past those ahead of him.

I’m happy that Perez and Grosjean made their strategies work, but overall the race felt a little too artificial in terms of where people ended up.

It wasn’t a race that I’d be interested in re-watching on the highlights reel, but at least it wasn’t a Valencia either.

• How is it artificial? By saying it was artificial I get the feeling you are implying the result would not have been the same had there been no drs or the unpredictable tires. The way I see it is that everyone is on equal footing as every driver has access to the drs systems and is driving on the same tires. In the end the winner is determined by how the driver manages these systems. This was dry race with no safety cars, it was just 24 drivers who all had the same tools racing.

• cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 10th June 2012, 23:38

@img343

Yep, but it’s rate the race, not rate the result. The result may have been the same without DRS, but at least those overtaking would’ve had to work for it! In my eyes bad racing makes a bad race..

• PJ (@pjtierney) said on 11th June 2012, 15:28

@img343

Regarding equality, DRS is not an equal system (KERS and Tyres are for the most part, everybody has an opportunity to make them work), it’s designed to benefit the driver behind. With it in F1 the art of defending is fading away fast.

I’m not taking anything away from Lewis’ win (far from it, he drove it very well) but in terms of excitement (which is how I rated the race), it’d have scored a lot higher if he was forced to “properly” overtake those ahead of him instead of being given a free pass.

10. Clive2012 said on 10th June 2012, 21:04

really fed up of watching these crap & unexciting drs passes.

seeing a car overtake another car, especially for the lead & in the closing laps shoudl be exciting yet today it was ridiculously dull.

drs is robbing us of good racing.

11. Abnash24 (@abnash24) said on 10th June 2012, 21:05

Loving these 3+ way battles for the lead

12. Jason (@jason12) said on 10th June 2012, 21:07

10. What a race!!!
    This is why we love F1 so much :D

13. sid_prasher (@) said on 10th June 2012, 21:09

On days like this I miss a bit of the old defensive drive…one thing for sure is that the teams are still not very sure of when the tire performance will drop off.

14. dirgegirl (@dirgegirl) said on 10th June 2012, 21:09

7 for me – I found it really pretty dull until the last 20 laps or so. Glad to see Lewis win but agree with others that the passing felt very artificial.

15. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 10th June 2012, 21:10

7 for me…… again, thanks to Mercedes for producing a error free racing.