Schumacher “won’t lose faith” in Mercedes

F1 Fanatic round-up

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, Montreal, 2012In the round-up: Michael Schumacher says he still has confidence in Mercedes despite a series of retirements.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

“I won?t lose my faith in the team” (Michael Schumacher)

“I still believe that we will achieve something special together with Mercedes.”

McLaren say new Hamilton deal must strike a balance (Reuters)

Ron Dennis: “He’s very highly paid. He’s certainly paid more than I am.”

Perez eyeing 2012 victory (Sky)

“The thing is we long to fight for a podium every race. Today was a very crazy race, as we have had many of this year. But I think we have the potential to do it.”

Lotus surprised by Grosjean progress (Autosport)

Eric Boullier: “He did 45 laps on these tyres, with being very consistent in not destroying them. He is learning and learning fast.”

Button ‘confused and lost’ after dire 16th-place finish at Canadian Grand Prix (Daily Mail)

“Although I’m not giving up, I’m not thinking about the championship. When you’ve had a race like this you don’t think about it.”

Formula 1 champ races through Grand Prix test run in Weehawken, West New York (NJ)

“Certainly the up and down ? the changing elevation ? is something we enjoy.”

Anthony Rowlinson via Twitter

Part-built pit complex at New York F1 circuit

Vettel and DC tear up the NJ F1 course (YouTube)

Caterham via Twitter

“Brian Sullivan has seriously done his homework as FOTA Fans Forum host. His questions demonstrate that he has the heart of a true F1 fan.”

Comment of the day

Alonso has led over 1,500 laps but Vettel is closing in on him, points out Jelle van der Meer

That 1,500 laps led statistic on Alonso is interesting but most shocking was when I compared that to Vettel?s 1,471 laps (Vettel has led 400km more than Alonso).

Considering how much longer Alonso is in the sport I am amazed Vettel has been leading so much already.
Jelle van der Meer

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today.

On this day in F1

Rene Arnoux won for Ferrari for the first time today in 1983 in the Canadian Grand Prix.

Image ?? Daimler/Hoch Zwei

102 comments on Schumacher “won’t lose faith” in Mercedes

1. Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 12th June 2012, 13:08

During the season Schumacher always claims that he has faith, every thing will come together etc etc. Then when the season ends the accusations come.

• Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 12th June 2012, 14:03

I don’t remember Schumacher ever accusing anyone in particular and whining about the past (unless he was/is asked a specific question); that is at least one element he does not do. But I am surprised he still has the will and strength to stay positive. Albeit, I don’t like the mythical and superstitious acts about faith, odd/even numbers, number 7 and whathaveyou…

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 12th June 2012, 18:22

Well then you remember wrong. I’m not talking about him accusing other drivers, he does that pretty often during the season as well. It’s when he empties out on how he’s been wronged all season by the team.

He might be right that he does always end up with the short stick, but I’m just saying that it’s odd how he keeps quieted and “up beat” about it all season and then lets it all out after the season is over.

• Alain (@paganbasque) said on 14th June 2012, 7:39

I have never seen Schumacher saying anything bad about Mercedes and he has enought reasons to criticize them. But I remember Nico saying that the car was piece of crap after having one single problem with it. This is the difference between these 2 drivers.

2. DaveW (@dmw) said on 12th June 2012, 14:51

Button needs to snap out of it. I’m sure he is humiliated but he has been in the game long enough to know there is a major mental element. You can’t tell yourself you are “lost.” My theory is that the team have led him down a bad path with the set up issues. Button is a pro, he has driven all kinds of F1 cars, including some truly terrible cars. He just needs to set his mind to adapting, instead of having the team try to make the car ideosyncratic to match his style.

Funny thing about these McLaren drivers. When one is kicking tail, the other one is down in the dumps, or at least a step off the pace.

• Aldoid said on 12th June 2012, 18:07

All I know is Button’s in for the fight of his life. Mark my words: Lewis Hamilton will be rock solid this year. After falling apart last year & being out of contract at the end of this season, Hamilton knows that the value of his stock rests in his own hands & that a strong showing is absolutely critical. All his races this year show a level of maturity I’ve never seen from Hamilton before. Meanwhile, poor Jenson hasn’t even figured out where the gauntlet landed yet.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 12th June 2012, 18:26

McLaren are bound to “fix” the car so Button can drive it better. With the result that both drivers end up with a slow car that normally at best is good enough for a third place.

• Nickpkr said on 14th June 2012, 8:12

The Mclaren car is not longer that good. Button was lapped by Ham, but also by GRO, PER, ALO and VET, 16th place last starting 9th, no points lately and is screaming for help. Is that looking like this year to be champ ? He is in Massaland.
      Even MAL have won one race this year and it didn’t help much in WDC so unless one of Lotus wins and ROS gets a podium again next race is between Redbull ALO and HAM.

3. Nickpkr said on 14th June 2012, 8:16

HAM should go to the biggest pay check, he can drive any car fast, adapt to tires and be leading WDC even with the worst pit lane in F1, if he was in a lotus , Williams or a Sauber he would be in same position probably.